GameSpy Compares GW2 and SWTOR
Today, GameSpy’s Leif Johnson took a look at Guild Wars 2 (GW2) and Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR), and compared some of SWTOR’s faults with some of what he sees as GW2′s successes. The comparisons are easy to see; SWTOR was one of the most hyped games on last year, Bioware spent hundreds of millions of dollar, producing what everyone was sure would be a blockbuster hit, only to have it quickly fizzle (at least compared to pre-launch predictions) amongst fan frustration over seemingly basic gameplay issues.
After the second Beta Weekend event, some feared that Guild Wars 2 might be missing the boat as well, when fans took to the forums with, admittedly, some legitimate concerns. In his article, Leif brings up 5 good points that show why he believes GW2 and ArenaNet will succeed where SWTOR and Bioware failed:
1. Story Doesn’t Get in the Way of Gameplay
2. Guild Wars 2 Understands MMORPGs Should Be About Player Interaction
3. Guild Wars 2′s World Feels Much More Alive
4. Guild Wars 2 Doesn’t Have a Traditional Endgame
5. So Far, ArenaNet is Better at Addressing Player Concerns Than BioWare