Guild Wars 2 Weekly
Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase has started! (some media reports: Gaming Target, Examiner, Digital Entertainment News, Destructoid, MarketWatch), and it will run until shortly before launch¬†as permitted by server loads (Forum Discussion).¬†And with it a predictable amount of chaos – Retailers sold out from day one, confusions about which retailers have which editions, payment issues, people being issued used codes and so on and so forth. Luckily it seems like most problems are being solved, even though there are still some clouds to scatter. Also on Friday there was a final server stress test (still under NDA, so if you participated, don’t tell anyone!) that of course was leaked and spawned some indignation among pre-purchasers that they were not invited. However, this was not a Beta Event, the first one of those will be in the end of April¬†(no set date yet) according to ArenaNet.
The week also had two official blog posts detailing the making of of the Collector Edition (Rytlock figurine, Art book) and of course loads and loads of videos, podcasts and articles. And we¬†made friends with Talk Tyria!
Finally, since the amount of Guild Wars 2-related content is now reaching critical amounts, I will from now on make a sorted list like before, but only comment on some of the highlights from the week. Follow after the jump and see how it works out!
- Inside the Collector‚Äôs Edition ‚Äď Rytlock Figurine. David Campbell gives us the background story of the Collector’s Edition Rytlock Brimstone figurine.
- Inside the Collector’s Edition – Making of GW2 book. Likewise he also presented the CE book on the ArenaNet blog. And don’t worry, the typos in the example pages will not make it into the shipped version.
- Kekai Kotaki¬†Tumblr update. ArenaNet concept art lead Kekai Kotaki did a massive update on his Tumblr. Lots of very nice Guild Wars 2 concept art,¬†along¬†with work he did for other projects
- Peter Fries Tweeted a short clip of Skritt voice recording¬†by Cindy Robinson. Hilarious!
Interviews – ArenaNet
- Gameinformer: Respec Radio Episode 29 – with Jonathan Sharp (audio). Jonathan Sharp visits the podcast crew and talks¬†character creation, Dynamic Events and World vs. World. Gameinformer also posted a 30-minutes gameplay video narrated by Jonathan Sharp.
- Guild Wars 2 Hub:¬†Traits and Builds Interview with Jon Peters, Part 1.¬†Part 2. Sardu¬†published¬†this two-part interview. The first part focuses on¬†¬†the trait system, skill split between PvE and PvP and changes to the necromancer‚Äôs weapons and utility skills. The second part is all about builds.
- Guild Wars 2 Romania:¬†ArenaNet Community Managers interview. Interview with¬†Regina Buenaobra, Martin Kerstein and St√©phane Lo Presti about their day-to-day jobs. A very in-depth and¬†interesting¬†interview!
- GWOnline: ¬†GWO Community Spotlight: EU Fan Day ‚Äď Aftermath.¬†We asked a whole bunch of the participants of last week’s EU Fan Day¬†about¬†their most awesome moment of the event. Lots of nice answers!
Videos and Podcasts
- Boons & Conditions: Episode 4 – World vs. World (And beta contest). The beta contest was concluded on Friday though
- BuffeeArts: YouTuber Viktor Niklasson a.k.a. BuffeeArts has posted a whole bunch of Speedart videos over the last few weeks. Elementalist, Necromancer, Guardian
- Gamebreaker: PAX East¬†Guild Wars¬†2 Footage Shows Giant Attack, Six Lessons To Prepare MMO Players For¬†Guild Wars 2¬†and¬†Exclusive: Video Preview Of¬†Guild Wars 2‚Äės Asuran Butler Golem, where we get the first ever glimpse of the latest and greatest in Asuran personal convenience technology.
- GetBonkd: Guild Wars 2 beta keys – 12k Subs.
- GuildCast: Episode 18 – Guild Rush
- Guild Wars Insider:CBT3 Video Odds and Ends. Thief PvP part deux
- KaeyiDream: Explanations and apologies, 3000 subscriber Livestream and Dance video.
- KirbyzaGamer: Attributes and traits, Combat roles, Thief skill breakdown.
- MattVisual:¬†Dose #16 – The Minstrel Dubstep, GW2Evolution and time to pre-purchase!¬†He also made this quite hilarious and now widely spread Guild Wars 2 vs other MMOs (Get a Mac parody) The Karma System. A must-watch for the Guild Wars 2 fan who want to stay tuned.
- Penny Arcade: Season 3 Episode 22 – ArenaNet. Penny Arcade just posted this fun and candid documentary of the legendary Ping-Pong¬†tournament¬†earlier this year.
- SagelikeOne:¬†Q&A #19 (new vs old players, arenas, weapons between professions)
- Slash+facepalm: Guild Wars 2 what we know so far!¬†A nice 8-video series¬†detailing¬†where we stand with Guild Wars 2. Great watch for anyone playing catch-up!
- Tales of Lumin:¬†Lumin Weekly Q&A #9 – GW2 vs. MoP, ‘Adventure’ In Your Language, Game of¬†¬†Thrones & More!¬†Guild Wars 2 News – 12/04/12 – Pre-Purchase Available, Beta Events, Region Locking & More!
- Tales of Tyria: Episode 26 -PAX East 2012.
- TapRepeatedly: Ranger PvP #2¬†and Thief PvP.
- Tubeelephant:¬†Guild Wars 2, My favorite aspects and a shoutout
- WoodenTomatoes: Grinding for Gods, Titans worshiping Grenth, Home minimap respawning rates, The harpy sisters, Music sounds like Polymock, Demon Mursaat constructs.
Articles and blog posts
- Boons & Conditions:¬†Treating Your Traits Right. A very nice analysis by MintyMint on how to go about setting up your traits.
- Decoding Dragons: All Women wear make-up.¬†In this interesting article, DD takes hold on some recent key ArenaNet quotes to illustrate the worry that all women (at least of the Human and Norn variety) characters in Guild Wars 2 will be dolled up “idealized beauties”.
- Demajen:¬†Social networking? In *MY* MMO?¬†An interesting take on the possibility of in-game Twitter readers etc.
- Digital Spy: Guild Wars 2 Preview – Hands on with ArenaNet’s impressive MMO sequel.¬† Andrew Laughlin posted another hand-on article from the press beta weekend.
- DistilledWill: Guildmaster and commander.
- Flameseeker Chronicles: Line of succession.
- Flame Throwing: Season of the Beta.
- Girl vs MMO:¬†Just the right amount of crazy.
- GuildMag:¬†Kind hearts of the sea – the Quaggan¬†by GmrLeon.
- Guild Wars 2 Hub:¬†Exploration in Guild Wars 2.
- Guild Wars 2 Journal:¬†EU Fan Day: Ascalonian Catacombs.
- GuildWars2Live: Promote your guild next beta weekend!¬†GW2L is looking for Guild streamers of Guild Wars 2 beta. A great opportunity to market a guild!
- Guild Wars Insider: Felicia Day: Back in the booth!¬†Korean brokerage firm estimates GW2 CD Sales, interesting report or a report (heh) that projects sales landing at some 3.12 million by the end of this year. And finally,¬†MintChip plays Guild Wars 2
- GW2 Evolution: The holy trinity, a rant. Thief weapon series: Dagger/Dagger, Pistol/Pistol, Shortbow, Sword¬†and Pistol/Dagger & Dagger/Pistol, a great series by Vyce¬†analyzing¬†the weapon options available to the thief (he also have them posted on his blog I only lied about being a Thief).¬†¬†Also,¬†Engineer art submission.
- GWOnline:¬†The Aesthetics and Creative Side of GW2 ‚Äď Part 2: Audio. Satomz presents part two of her write-up on the creative qualities of Guild Wars 2 as experienced in the Press Beta Weekend, this time focusing on the sound, especially some of the weapon sounds.
- Hunter‚Äôs Insight: Putting the pieces together¬†and Hard Target, where¬†Hunter’s gives¬†another¬†good analysis on what ArenaNet shuold aim for with their cash shop.
- Kill Ten Rats: The late fools Guild Wars 2 contest for the insane!¬†KTR is running a contest for GW1 Platinum edition, Art of GuildWars hardcover book, and two by Katy Hargrove Original Guild Wars 2 art prints, GW skill pins and gems at GW2 launch! Deadline April 25. Also, Market Power.
- Mana Obscura: Pre-Purchase for Beta. Gazimoff is worried about the trend to pre-purchase MMOs to get access to beta. An interesting post and well worth the read.
- MMORPG: Death to the old ways!¬†David North says good riddance to the holy trinitiy in Guild Wars 2.
- MMOSite: My hopes and fears for World vs World in Guild Wars 2.
- Nerdy Boohkas: Choosing between the Mesmer and the Warrior: Which one wins?¬†A very nice comparative piece written after experiencing both professions at EU Fan Day.
- NOWGamer: Guild Wars 2 Beta – Personal story and character creation. ¬†Tom Hopkins shares his hands-own experiences from the press beta weekend.¬†Including¬†several beta video clips, of both PvE and PvP.
- ParadoX: Engineer – Blazing assault.
- PC Gamer:¬†Guild Wars 2¬†Elementalist preview. Gavin Townsley gives this in-depth description of his hands-on experience with the Elementalist during the press beta weekend.
- Powered Gamers: Information Networks mean Battlefield Victories.
- The Centaur‚Äôs Satchel: A song for Peter Fries and the writing crew in Burbank.
- The Feral Engineer: User generated content. Feral writes a very¬†interesting¬†piece about how user generated content is the key to game longevity, and what kind of tools are needed.
- The Vigilant:¬†Things I love about¬†GW2: The Dye System.
- Under the Pale Tree: Beta Key Giveaway!¬†Verene has a Guild Wars 2 beta key to give away, but you have to be quick to take your chance. Deadline is April 15 10PM CST. Yes, that is tonight!
- Yoshi’s Guild Wars 2 hub: How to be a good boss…Fight!, Of pre-purchasing and beta, E Sports, it’s in the game, A unique training experience.