Guild Wars 2 Weekly
This week may have felt like a lull after the monster that was last week but that feeling is deceptive. First of all we have seen even more coverage from last week’s beta weekend surface – everything from preview articles to commentated videos and raw gameplay recordings. Also, Jon Peters published a huge blog post about the Attributes and Traits, which predictably spawned a community backlash about the announced fee for re-building your character’s traits, and then backlash to the backlash. There were also three official interviews (one with Rubi Bayer, one with Angel Leigh McCoy¬†and one with Jeff Grubb) as well as a slew of blog posts, articles and videos. And we at GWOnline made some new friends – Demajen, Under the Pale Tree¬†and Angelina Warpride!
- Play Your Way: Jon Peters on Traits and Attributes. Jon Peters gave this in-depth rundown on how attributes and traits are currently working in GW2, sparking some controversy with the reveal of a re-spec fee. (Forum discussion)
- Guild emblem poll. St√©phane Lo Presti asked the Guild Wars 1 community to help ArenaNet gather statistics on guild emblem usage. Poll is open until Monday. (Forum discussion)
- It Is On Like Pong ‚Äď ArenaNet Hosts Penny Arcade. ArenaNet showed off their ping pong team before taking on Penny Arcade. And it must have been a good one, because ArenaNet ¬†won 5-4. (Forum discussion)
- Kill Ten Rats:¬†Interview with ArenaNet‚Äôs Rubi Bayer. Ravious has a chat with Rubi about her first weeks at the job. (Forum discussion)
- Wartower:¬†Interview with Jeff Grubb about the Asura. Audio interview with loremaster Jeff Grubb, this one focused on the Asura.
- The Borderhouse: Imagine all the people. Interview with ArenaNet writer Angel Leigh McCoy.
- GWOnline: Guild Spotlight – Forever and Ever [LaG]. CMEPTb had a chat with¬†competitive¬†PvP guild [LaG], winners of the February 2011 and January 2012 MAT.
- GWOnline: Guild Spotlight – Husaria Pol [HSR]. CMEPTb also talked to another competitive PvP guild [HSR], winners of the November 2011 GvG championship.
Videos and Podcasts
- Guildcast: Episode 12 – Peer Pressure. Mike, Elizabeth and Shawn talks some more about their beta experiences.
- Tales of Tyria: Episode 20 – Aftershock.¬†The team talks even more about beta, WvW and the Reddit WvW AMA.
- SagelikeOne¬†had another busy week, posting a commentary of Engineer skills based on footage we were able to capture during the beta weekend, a video about the traits rework, a summary about why one should be interested in Guild Wars 2¬†and finally a¬†Q&A videos (#10) focused on technology.
- WoodenTomatoes: Traits Rant.¬†WoodenTomatoes posted a quite excellent rant about people ranting about the Traits blog.
- GetBONKD: Episode 22 – Traits and Attributes. The GetBONKD team takes a closer looks at, well, the traits and the attributes.
- Arawulf: The five D’s of Guild Wars 2. A little bit of a baiting title, but clever and well worth a watch.
- Yogscast: Thief Spotlight, Guardian Spotlight, Ranger Spotlight, Elementalist Spotlight,¬†¬†Warrior Spotlight, Dungeon Part 1, Part 2, Norn leveling Part 1¬†phew! (Forum discussion)
- TotalBiscuit:¬†Warrior Slaughterthon 3000,¬†Jumping Puzzle¬†(looks great!),¬†Mailbox March 2nd¬†(WvW footage used as background). (Forum discussion)
- PCGamer:¬†Guild Wars 2¬†graphic settings walkthrough. The team takes a closer look at graphichs settings during the beta, including on-the-fly changes. (Forum discussion)
- PCGamer: 20 things you didn’t know about Guild Wars 2. Ok, us hardcore fans might already know quite a few of these, but great watch nontheless. (Forum discussion)
- Gamebreaker: First Impressions: Gary Steps Into¬†Guild Wars 2¬†Norn Country. Gary from Guildcast takes his first tentative steps into Guild Wars 2, and likes what he sees.
- MMOSite: Fan-made video collage synced to dubstep music. Six plus minutes of GW2 footage put together? What’s not to like?
Articles and blog posts
First-hand beta experience write-ups:
- IGN:¬†Playing the Guardian. IGN has a go at this support-esque class. Including a commented video with beta gameplay.
- Kill Ten Rats: The richest PvE experience, Part 2. Ravious finishes up his press beta writeup. (part 1)
- MMORPG: Beta reflections. David North reflects on the GW2 beta in his weekly column.
- MMORPG: The Engineer Preview.¬†The Ranger Preview.¬†The Mesmer Preview.¬†The Elementalist Preview. William Murphy and Garret Fuller shares their experience about some of the GW2 professions from the beta weekend.
- Gamebreaker: Nine reasons¬†Guild Wars 2 will rule.
- NZGamer: Guild Wars 2 preview. By Mike Gunn.
- Flameseeker Chronicles: I hope you like PvE stuff.¬†Elisabeth¬†talks PvE in Guild Wars 2.
- Guild Wars Insider: Colin Johanson Talks About Meta Events Details & Scope. Kefkah reported on some dynamic event clarification Colin did.
- The Vigilant: Tales of Tyria – chapter 11 – Shaman. Rhysanne continues her fan fiction series.
- The Feral Engineer: My first day in Tyria. Achilles did a guest blog post for Feralengineer about his first steps in GW2.
- Hunter‚Äôs Insight: Auction House,¬†Trait Theory¬†and Much ado about traits.
- GuildMag: Short in stature, broad in perception.¬†Gmr Leon talks about the Asura.
- Demajen¬†was busy as usual: ¬†An unlikely Krewe, forming guilds in GW2,¬†¬†Entitlement culture and supporting the developers,¬†Closer to the grave – Minion mayhem redux,¬†¬†The GW2 traitstorm – community reactions at its worst¬†and Traits – Putting the “Role” back in “Roleplaying Games”.
- Distilled Willpower: Yogscast vs the reply girls.¬†DW had some¬†great¬†advice about the so-called “reply girls”. And that is, ignore them -¬†don’t¬†give then a view count +1 by clicking it to downvote.
- Shewstr:¬†Guild Wars 2 theme – piano and Aura theme – piano. Some great sheet music.
- Nerdy bookahs and their travel guide: GW2 – waiting for beta.¬†The nerdy bookas are lamenting the wait.. know the feeling.
- Guild Wars 2 Junkies: GW2 world map and zone labels. A closer look at the current GW2 map, with zones and tentative level ranges.
- Under the Pale Tree: The great armor debate!¬†Verene has something to say about the armor repair mechanic. And Dak about the trait blog outcry in¬†Trait-ourous fandom scandal?
- Flamethrowing: Why the squad comments caught my attention. Our good friend Flamethrower is¬†excited¬†about squads,¬†seeing¬†a potential for some RTS-ing in the WvW.
- Guild Wars 2 Journal: Guild Spotlight – Genesis Gaming.
- Guild Wars 2 Guru: When do things become Pay-to-Win?¬†Archaes takes a close look at microtransactions.
- GWOnline: Musings of an Arm-Chair Mesmer, Part 1. Thalanor talks mesmer weapon themes.
- Yoshi’s Guild Wars 2 hub. Yoshi started a brand new GW2 blog, and it has been busy busy busy! So rather than linking everything, just go there and check it out, mkay? ¬†A few highlights though: The beginnings,¬†Ascalon Catacombs or Pre-Searing: Where They Are Now,¬†Durability and Repair,¬†No Holy Trinity – Can It Work?,¬†R.E.S.P.E.C‚Ä¶. T?¬†(about the traits debacle).
- Mordakai: Common fallacies about traits. Mordakai has his say about the GW2 trait system. Also Microtransactions in GW2, A Hard Lesson to Learn (about¬†posting in anger) and So do we share any traits?
- The Lore Hound: It is time for PvP and PvE to separate. Mike takes a closer look at if and how PvP and PvE can co-exist in one game, and comes to the conclusion that ArenaNet is on to something with their strict separation of the two.
- The Backline¬†did a one-post-a-day thing this week to catch people up on GW2: GW2 is coming – will you be ready?, Warm up on lore, Professions, Battlefield, Surviving without doctors¬†(Forum discussion)
- Deccan Chronicle: Fight for your Guild. A nice little piece from Wykrhm Reddy who posts for a regular newspaper, under the heading “Sci-Tech”. Nice to see GW2 also making a splash in non-gaming media.
- GW2Tools: Traits calculator¬†An excellent tool to theorycraft your character’s traits and attributes. (Forum discussion)
- Luna-atra: Guild Wars 2 skills tool. Luna also updated their well-known skill tool with the updated data from the beta weekend.¬†(Forum discussion)
- Guild Wars 2 Junkies:¬†Weapon set themes by class infographic. In this handy graphic one gets an overview on how the different weapon types lend themselves to different play styles.