Guild Wars 2 Weekly
This week Guild Wars 2 suddenly got real, with the announcement that we will be able to purchase our copies of the game from April 10 for special perks like head start and guaranteed Beta access. The details of the Guild Wars 2 Collector Edition were also released, followed by some grumbling about the prizing differences in different parts of the world. There was also an official blog post where Martin Kerstein announced that unlike for Guild Wars 1, there will be official forums for Guild Wars 2. Finally there was a huge live-streamed video interview with Jon Peters on MMORPG. And of course all the usual blog posts, videos, podcasts and articles that you find listed after the jump. New this week is that I have sorted sources alphabetically, so it is easier to find if you are looking for a specific one.
- Thank you for signing up for beta video. Following the impressive sign-up numbers for the Beta, ArenaNet released this video as a thanks to everyone for signing up. Like their Facebook page to see it. (Forum discussion)
- Brace Yourselves, Pre-Purchase is coming on April 10. ArenaNet finally revealed how fans will be able to get their hands on the game. They also updated their FAQ section with Pre-Purchase FAQ. (Forum discussion)
- Minimum System Requirements. At the same time as the pre-purchase news hit, ArenaNet also revealed the minimum specifications your system must have to be able to play Guild Wars 2. (Forum discussion)
- Beta Invites being distributed. ArenaNet confirmed on Twitter and Facebook that the closed beta invites are currently being distributed. If you get an invitation, remember to keep it a secret! (Forum discussion)
- Building Community. Martin Kerstein shares ArenaNet’s vision for the community, including an official forum. (Forum discussion)
- Guild Wars 1: No more support for Windows 95 and 98. ArenaNet announced that they will no longer support these older Windows operative systems. This so they can implement things like better security features. (Forum discussion)
Interviews – ArenaNet
- MMORPG: Guild Wars 2 Live Interview with Jon Peters of ArenaNet. In this behemoth of a live video interview Bill Murphy of MMORPG.com talked PvP with Jon Peters from ArenaNet. (Forum discussion)
- Videogamer: The state of Guild Wars 2 so far. Emily Gera talks to Eric Flannum who answers questions about the state of the game, and where the industry is going.
Interviews – community
- GWOnline: Guild Spotlight – Blood of the Martyr [Hope]. CMEPTb had a chat with another of our resident GWO alliance guilds, [Hope].
- GW2Fans: Dragon Season. GW2Fans talked with GWO friends Dragon Season, who apart from being an excellent fan site is also a guild.
- Guild Wars Insider: Wartower.de spotligh. Roland Deamon did a feature on the number one German Guild Wars fan site Wartower.de
Videos and Podcasts
- For the Lore: Episode 104 – The rogless episode. The lore team gives a very positive shout-out to Guild Wars 2, focusing on character building and crafting. (GW2 content start at ~33 minutes)
- Gamebreaker: Seven reasons Guild Wars 2 WvW wins. Mike B and Scott Hawkes breaks down WvW. The video is co-posted with a run-down article of the seven reasons. In Guild Wars 2 WvW Map Scoring Broken Down Gary Gannon and Jason Winter looks at the WvW map.
- GetBonkd: Episode 23 -Waypoints, Repair System & Overflows. Analysis of the waypoint and repair systems, as well as a look at the “overflow servers” where gamers can game while they queue.
- Guildcast: Episode 14 – Beta fast approaching. Gary, Shawn and Dylan talk about all the beta and game edition news, and answer viewer questions.
- Guild Wars Insider: Podcast EP11 – The Return. The GWI podcast is back, with Seven, Gallo and Feral. They talk guilds, attributes, jumping puzzles, meta events and more.
- GW2 Sauce: GW2 Saucecast! In the premiere episode Echelon, Sam and Professor Screwtape talk Guild Wars 2, mostly in the context of existing games.
- KaeyiDream: Kaeyi checks out the System requirements and the Collector’s Edition. She also asks her viewers for questions for a possible ArenaNet Developer interview.
- PCGamer: Guild Wars 2 beta video tour of the three major cities. Gavin Townsley takes us on a tour of Divinity’s Reach, the Black Citadel and Hoelbrak.
- SagelikeOne. Sage posted about the preorder and the system specs, and his Q&A #13 and #14
- Tales of Tyria: Episode 22 – Traits vs. talents. The team talks about how traits and talents interact.
- The MMO Report: Thursday, March 15th. Casey covers the pre-purchase news and more.
- TotalBiscuit: In the Mailbox March 16th he uses WvW footage used as background while he talks about other things. (Forum discussion)
- Tubeelephant: Collectors Edition, pre-order & system requirements. The Elephant also looks at the editions and system specs.
- Tyria Talk: Episode 19 - Pre-order editions. Richie goes through the info on the Guild Wars 2 digital and retail editions.
- WoodenTomatoes: Asuran architecture and he also did an Ask me anything session.
- Yogscast: The guys released two videos, some extra footage of Charr questing and Crafting.
Articles and blog posts
- 321spike: Guide – How to create an effective team build, Build analysis, part 3. Reth published their third part of five on the topic of build analysis. (part 1, part 2)
- Attached to Keyboard: Pre-purchase analysis, International pricing inequalities. Tasha analyses the contents and pricing structure of the CE in these two posts.
- Bio Break: Choosing my Guild Wars 2 skinsuit. Bio Break has a tough time choosing a race/profession combo. He also wonders, Is it worth $150?
- Blog of the Vagabond: Beta to the max. Vagabond shares his plans should he get into beta.
- Demajen: Cash Shop? SMASH SHOP! Demajen pointed out the implications of the CE/DD edition in-game perks in terms of “Pay2Win”. He also talked about the announcement of official forums in GW2 with Official forums for GW2: Thoughts, where he is cautiously pessimistic.
- Distilled Will: I’ll Buy it but I won’t like it! Distilled ponders regional prize differences, and how while he will still buy the game, he do reserve the right to be grumpy about it.
- Dragon Season: Professions – Thief. Dragon Season finally posted another of their lore/mechanic profession features in the form of a short story, this time about the Thief. (Forum discussion)
- Flameseeker Chronicles: Quest education. Elisabeth Cardy explains the difference between the personal storyline, renown hearts, and dynamic events in Guild Wars 2.
- Flamethrowing: Engineer trait synergy. Cuth talks about Engineer traits, and presents his new traits tool.
- Forbes: NCsoft aims to break the static online game mold with ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 2. Another main-stream media piece (they are getting.. main stream!). This time John Gaudiosi at Forbes showcases the game for the masses.
- Gamesspy: Does Star Wars: The Old Republic deserve the wrath of the haters? OK, this article by Leif Johnson does not have much to do with Guild Wars 2, but I though it was still interesting considering this week’s reveal that ArenaNet will host their own forums. Especially the warning about community backlash.
- GuildMag: Blog Carnival 3: Character Diversity GuildMag is finally back with another round of Blog Carnival. The topic this time is “Character Diversity”. Meanwhile, Draxynnic wrote a very in-depth and thorough analysis on player types in Viva la Difference! Finally Konig des Todes offerend another lore piece with Serpentine Races: the Krait and Naga.
- Guild Wars 2 Guru: AI war. Article about pet and summon AI in Guild Wars 2.
- Guild Wars Insider: Play By Your Rules. Monomythian talk about the (lack of) “tutorial” in Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 as a spectator esport. Mouseburglar gives an analysis on the esporting potential. Guild Wars 2 community. Alliette Faye gives a applause to the Guild Wars 2 community.
- GWOnline: Traits – An analysis. Alaris offered this handy overview on how traits actually work. (Forum discussion)
- Hunter’s Insight: Just dungeons and stuff. Hunter talks dungeons in Guild Wars 2, including throw-backs to Guild Wars 1 areas. He analyses the Pre-purchase details and gives his point of view on the thought of official forums, thinking it is a good thing because it will be more fair. Finally he commented on some recently leaked screenshots of three Sylvari and an Asura (sounds like a sit-com!).
- Kill Ten Rats: Momentary deluxe. Ravious laments the lack of Divine Aura in the Guild Wars 2 CE (as do I). He also made this heart-felt post about community in Guild Wars 2: Demand more.
- MMORPG: Everything to everyone. David North have come to the conclusion that Guild Wars 2 just might be a game that offers everything to everyone.
- MMOSite: At MMOSite Octopusx published three class articles - Engineer, Mesmer and Ranger, and End_Break_Fomar asked if Guild Wars 2 would be Buy to Win?
- Noxxy’s Den: Comparison between Guild Wars 2 and other MMORPGs. Noxxy offered a rather excellent in-dpeth analysis on why Guild Wars 2 is different.
- Plyturon’s Forgotten Forge: Character diversity in Guild Wars 2. Plyturon’s contribution to GuildMag’s Blog Carnival.
- TalkTyria: Asura: Cute and cuddly or heartless and selfish? paeroka made a lore post about the Asura and damagedself pondered the CE details in Everything’s blown up to holy hell.
- The Feral Engineer: Happy 6 Months. Feral celebrated 6 months on the blog and announced that he will be writing regularly for Guild Wars Insider and also joined their podcast team. Grats
- The Vigilant: Origins of the founders: Live to fight. VerMagnus offers a fan fiction treat with this short story about the Asura Crikk and the Norn Ragnar. Meanwhile, Rhysanne continues her story with Tales of Tyria: Chapter 12 – Fight.
- The Wars of Guilds: Community and Guild Wars 2. Ananamoose tells the tale of her first Pink Day in LA, and how she looks at the Guild Wars community.
- Under the Pale Tree: Everyone’s in this together. Verene is cautiously optimistic about ArenaNet’s goals for the community, but point to us the fans to make it happen. She also wrote part two in her series about diversity in Guild Wars with Guild Wars: Just as diverse as reality, taking on race and ethnicity and part three about sexuality in Not as straight-forward as it seems.
- Wartower: How expensive is it? 4thVariety over at Wartower did this analysis over how expensive GW2 really is in Europe.
- Yoshi’s Guild Wars 2 hub: Yoshi was busy as usual. First a lore piece about the story in Eye of the North in GW:EN – Hey that’s a character name! Then one on the dragons of Guild Wars 2 in What is it? Dragons? Then an analysis on how to build a team in Band of brothers: An early look at party make-up. And finally A rose by another name would still poke you where he goes through the races’ naming conventions.
Tools and Resources