Guild Wars 2 Weekly
Seems like every other week there is a drama explosion bigger than the last. This week the turn had come to the Guild Wars 2 microtransaction system, with the announcement that we will be able to buy “gems” that we then can trade for in-game gold from players. The week was thus filled to the rafters with reactions to these news.¬†An official blog post was also published about personal story¬†and¬†Ree Soesbee was interviewed by VG24/7, in¬†addition to the¬†usual blog posts, videos,¬†podcasts¬†and articles. Oh, and we made friends with The Tyrian Order!
- The Evolution of Narrative in Personal Story. Leif Chapelle wrote this blog about the personal story system in Guild Wars 2. A very nice read that holds much promise about the immersion once we all get to play the game. (Forum discussion)
- Mike O‚ÄôBrien on Microtransactions in¬†Guild Wars 2. Mike O’Brien then kicked the hornet’s nest with news on the Guild Wars 2 microtransaction system, revealing an EVE-like system where players who buy “gems” for real money will be able to trade them for¬†in-game gold from other players. Some press reactions: RPS, Gamerant, Massively. (Forum discussion)
- All Beta invites have been sent out for this round.¬†ArenaNet confirmed on Twitter and Facebook that all the beta invites for this round have been sent. If you got an invitation, remember to keep it a secret! (Forum discussion)
Interviews – ArenaNet
- VG24/7: Sitting comfortably? Guild Wars 2‚Ä≤s lore boss on story. Ree Soesbee talks Guild Wars 2 lore!
Videos and Podcasts
- Boons & Conditions: Episode 2 – E-Sports.¬†Faelor,¬†Arithion,¬†Luperza¬†and Zomoa¬†discuss the first batch of beta invites, the ArenaNet blog regarding community, and then go into roundtable mode on e-Sports.
- Gamebreaker: Guild Wars 2 to have gold trading market.¬†Mike B and Scott Hawkes talks microtransactions. In¬†Guild Wars 2 Features Wide Range Of Personal Stories, Mike B and Jason Winter¬†looks at the Personal Story system.
- Guildcast: Episode 15 – Boom Flower. Mike S, Richie and Scott talk about¬†the approach that underpins the implementation of the Gems currency system and whether we should be concerned,¬†the lore as well as the design of the massive Sylvari themed dungeon previews in the latest PCGamer, and answers viewer questions.
- KaeyiDream: Kaeyi summarises the¬†Twilight Arbor Dungeon¬†revealed in the latests PCGamer print issue and talks about the¬†Micro Transactions¬†news.
- SagelikeOne:¬†Sage posted about the¬†Microtransactions, ca$h-shop and personal story¬†and did two new Q&As:¬†#15 (digital distribution, CD-only and easy levelling)¬†and¬†#16 (trait points, LoA and area servvers)
- Tales of Tyria: Episode 23 – Where the rubber meets the road. The team¬†talks about whether the CE is worth the money, various links of the week, as well as the recent Arenanet Blog post which announced Official Forums.
- Totalbiscuit:¬†GW2¬†Beta: Explorable Dungeon. TB comments on an Explorable Dungeon play-through his team did during the last Press Beta weekend. (Forum discussion)
- Tubeelephant: Microtransactions. The Elephant also looks at the microtransaction system.
- Tyria Talk: Episode 20 – Microtransactions. Richie talks about Guild Wars 2 in-game store.
- WoodenTomatoes: WP released a whole bunch of daily videos, like one a day!¬†Spirit collectors tanking,¬†Charr Underworld expansion,¬†Mounted gem forums,¬†Old Norn views,¬†¬†Microtransactions, gems, buy-to-win¬†and¬†Difficult dragon classes
- MattVisual: Guild Wars 2 – Playable Races | Asura [Personal Story choices]¬†MattVisual was back with this piece about the Asura.
Articles and blog posts
- Bio Break: Guild Wars 2′s gem of an idea. Bio Break rather like the announced microtransaction system. has a tough time choosing a race/profession combo. He also wonders,¬†Could this year be the year of the MMO?
- Corpse Run: The¬†Guild Wars 2 cash shop: Much ado about nothing. brannagan does not see why people are so upset. Also posted this funny¬†meme illustration¬†of the Guild Wars 2 community over time.
- Decoding Dragons: Overwhelming choice. DD talks character creation possibilities.
- Demajen: Assuming dierct control¬†Demajen makes a run-down on the GW2 control layout. He also talks about writing, and how Guild Wars 2 suffers from “inflation paradigm” in Deus Ex Machina, microtransactions in Guild influence and microtransactions¬†and Somebody grab the mop…, interacting with ones readers in A sour taste¬†and finally how GW2 cater to the altoholic mind in [GW2] An altoholic’s perspective.
- Distilled Will: Character diversity, 10% them, 90% you.¬†Distilled’s entry for GuildMag’s Blog Carnival. Also, Another 2c, gem trading about the microtransaction system.
- Dragon Season: 10 things to expect in Guild Wars 2, a Guild Wars perspective. Daniel at Dragon Season made this excellent run-down on what Guild Wars 2 should “inherit” from Guild Wars.
- Eternal Alchemy: Economic Ramifications of Gems. Kaboobie looks at what gems might mean for the Guild Wars 2 in-game economy.
- Flameseeker Chronicles: Setting up for success. Elisabeth Cardy talks about official forums and the¬†scalable¬†dynamic even system of Guild Wars 2.
- Flamethrowing: Let’s talk about builds man. Cuth talks about Engineer builds, and presents his new builds section.
- Greibach‚Äôs Normal Form: The big beta barrage, Part 1 – traits.¬†Greibach talks traits. He also made this week’s obligatory microtransactions blog post,¬†The economy of gems.
- GuildMag: Blog Carnival 3: Character Diversity¬†GuildMag’s blog carnival continues. Deadline today (Sunday March 25). Meanwhile,¬†Facewell looks at the pros and cons of the Pre-purchase in Guild Wars 2¬†Pre-Purchase ‚ÄĒ Good News, Bad News?, Gmr Leon talks Sylvari lore in¬†Blooming Minds in Dark Times¬†and CorruptDropbear looks at¬†Guild Wars 2¬†vs. The Traditional MMO.
- Guild Wars Insider: Beliasta’s GW2 effects breakdown.¬†Beliasta gives this excellent summary of all the effects in Guild Wars 2. Monomythian posted a Visual guide to currencies in Guild Wars 2¬†and Seven did an editorial on Microtransactions and the Guild Wars 2 economy.
- GWOnline: Spreading the love – Conditions in Guild Wars 2. CMEPTb made this excellent run-down on conditions in GW2, divided by profession. We also had our very first guest blog, where SageLikeOne tells us about Making a YouTube channel!
- Hunter‚Äôs Insight: Buy Gems with gold or money in Guild Wars 2¬†¬†Hunter’s look at the microtransaction system and in The cash shop gets leaked.
- Keen and Graev: GW2 cash shop could be deal breaker. K&G hopes the cash shop will end up differently from the leaked images at release.
- Kill Ten Rats: Microtransactions – Philosophy and market. Ravious ponders the MT system as well. He¬†also¬†made an entry for GuildMag’s Blog Carnival with Diversity solipsism.
- Kormir‚Äôs High Road: ‚ÄúStand and Deliver‚ÄĚ: ArenaNet‚Äôs Goal for the Community. KHR looks at what it will take for ArenaNet to succeed in running official forums.
- Mana Obscura: Guild Wars 2 – Spellcasters Quick Guide. gazimoff talks spellcasting in Guild Wars 2 from an MMORPG veteran’s perspective.
- MMORPG: The Collector’s Edition. David North thinks the GW2 CE has everything he expect and more.
- MMOSite: At MMOSite RiskbnreakerRiot ponders which to buy, Guild Wars 2 or Diablo 3?¬†and¬†Chaos22 is Getting ready for Guild Wars 2.
- Nerdy Bookahs: Educate the gaming masses! About forum moderation, CE, and more. Also GW2 and its lack of PvP servers.
- Shewstr: Separation Anxiety: Sylvari vs. Reality. Shewstr made this post in response to Verene’s post on the same theme from last week, from a Christian’s perspective.
- TalkTyria: Diversity in Sexuality.¬†damagedself talks about how Guild Wars 2 is widening the scope of MMO stereotypes.
- Tea and Tyria: eSports & Guild Wars 2. Philetic ponders the possibility for electric sporting.
- The Feral Engineer: Micro evils?¬†Feral is not a huge fan of the microtransaction system.
- The Tyrian Order: Understanding the gem system. Neves answers a bunch of commonly asked questions buzzing around on the subject of gems.
- The Vigilant: Virtual Diversity. snuph takes a look at the diversity offered in Guild Wars 2. He also posted A casual gamer’s perspective on microtransactions¬†and A new game to play¬†where he uses some well-hones detective skills to figure out who is and who isn’t beta testing this weekend. Meanwhile, Josh ponders shields in Two shields or not Two shields, that is the question.¬†(The Vigilant moved, so make sure to update your bookmarks!)
- Under the Pale Tree: Who am I?¬†and Who am I? (Another tale)¬†Verene and draconiac enter GuildMag blog carnival with a story each, one about a Sylvari Mesmer, the other a Norn Ranger. Verene also wrote¬†about¬†Gems, karma and gold (oh my)¬†and gave NDA leakers a stern talking to in Shame.
- Wartower: State of the game 44 – Conflicted?¬†4thVariety over at Wartower did this analysis on how ArenaNet’s statement about microtransactions line up.
- Yoshi’s Guild Wars 2 hub: Yoshi has been busy as usual. First a lore piece about Humans in Guild Wars: Human life – not at all like Second Life. Then he takes A look at PvP dynamics¬†and writes about¬†the¬†Asura in Short people got no reason. He tells us why Levels are important¬†and takes a visit to The Sylvari learning center. Finally he goes through How to contribute in WvW and gives some Norn lore background in I am legend. Phew!
- ZAM: Counting Coins – The dangers of virtual currency. Gazimoff goes thorugh virtual currency in a wide array of MMOs, including Guild Wars 2.
Tools and Recourses