Sunday Weekly Guild Wars News Roundup
This week has been full with lists of what people think 2012 might bring. So many lists that ArenaNet did a link roundup of all their year end awards and stuff. Quite the collection! Other official news are the much anticipated Guild Wars 1 Elementalist update that went live. The adorable Charr Plushie is back in stock (squee!). And of course there were loads of podcasts, videos and blogs. Follow after the jump for the full rundown!
- Guild Wars 2 Charr plush back in stock! Now everyone have another chance to order our favorite cuddly. (Forum discussion)
- Guild Wars 1 Elementalist update – Developer notes. The much anticipated Guild Wars 1 Elementalist skill update went live this week. Notable changes include lowering the armor rating but increasing overall health of Hard Mode mobs, the introduction of “Doublecast skills”, removal of armor-ignoring damage from other profession, as well as a lot of overall balances. (Forum discussion)
- Link Round-Up: Year End Awards Edition. David Campbell does a swell job of summarizing all the end-of-year awards and most anticipated lists, so make sure to check it out (links in here are not listed again below). (Forum discussion)
No new interviews were published this week that we know of.
Videos and Podcasts:
- Guildcast: Episode 4 – No Endgame. Rubi, Shawn and Gary are discussing the endgame in Guild Wars 2, or the lack thereof?
- Tales of Tyria: Episode 12 – Achievment Unlocked. Subjects include the “End Year Development Update” blog post, the Guild Wars 2 achievement system and a discussion on what is an ideal MMO.
- Paradigm Podcast: Why Roll Guardian in Gw2? Paradigm Shift discusses why one should play Warrior in Guild Wars 2, including possible weapon builds.
- TotalBiscuit: The Mailbox. TotalBiscuit says good things about Guild Wars 2 again.
- TubeElephant: Guild Wars 2 vs Other MMOs. TubeElephant tells us what is so great about Guild Wars 2 anyway.
- SagelikeOne: Collaborative Play. This week the topic is the special brand of collaborative play that exists in Guild Wars 2.
- Gamespot: Most anticipated games of 2012. The Gamespot staff lists their favorite picks for 2012, topping with Guild Wars 2.
- G4TV: Feedback, the video games of 2012 edition. The Feedback crew can’t wait for Guild Wars 2. We here at GWOnline know the feeling!
As comprehensive as ArenaNet’s roundup was, here are a few more mentions of Guild Wars 2 on most anticipated for 2012 lists (Forum discussion):
- Eurogamer: Interesting Sequels of 2012. Martin Robinson at Eurogames lists Guild Wars 2 as one of the most interesting sequels of 2012
- itTHING: The Best Upcoming Games To Look Forward to in 2012. Justin at itTHING lists Guild Wars 2 as one of five top picks for 2012, quoting new thinking as one of the major draws.
- Fragmore University: A list of upcoming online games for 2012. A longer list of interesting upcoming games, including Guild Wars 2.
- Gameranx: To 5 best MMOs of 2012. By Josh Harmon. Guild Wars 2 placed at the top.
- Gameranx: Top 10 Most Wanted games of 2012. Also by Josh Harmon. On this overall list, topped by Diablo III, Guild Wars 2 placed at number 6.
And there is still at least one list being compiled as we speak:
- Voodoo Extreme IGN: Most anticipated game of 2012 vote. Vote ongoing. As of now DOTA 2 and Guild Wars 2 are neck-and-neck for the first and second place. (Forum discussion)
Non-list related content there was of course also plenty of:
- The Border House: Designing non-human Females. Rho shows us why ArenaNet is getting it right with the female Charr.
- MMMORPG: 5 Things we like to see for guilds. Som Pourfarzaneh talks about stuff ArenaNet could implement to make Guilds in Guild Wars 2 great.
- MMORPG: The Hall of Monuments. David North ponders the grindiness of the Hall of Monuments. (Forum discussion)
- Flameseeker Chronicles: Guild Wars Elite Areas – Urgoz’s Warren. Rubi shows us how to prune that planty boss.
- Guild Wars 2 PC : Guardian, Guild Wars 2 PC: PvP. The fellows over at Guild Wars 2 PC site published these two summaries of what we know so far.
- VGRevolution: Reasons to PvP For All Types of Players in Guild Wars 2. Darren Centinello is musing about why there has not been that much talk about PvP in Guild Wars 2 yet, and gives an overview of what we know so far.
- GamerHQ: Guild Wars 2 to be very much PvP oriented. And talking about PvP, Codie Vincent wrote this piece about the PvP-ness of GW2. Looks like people are starting to really want some new PvP info!
- The Feral Engineer: Beta and the Lost Test. Feral talks about what a beta test should be, and what it has become.
- Vigilant Fans: Back to Basics. VerMagnus takes us back to basics, with a roundup of what Guild Wars 2 promises.
- Vigilant Fans: My Skillbar goes to 15. Rhysanne summaries the profession mechanics to show that there are much more to play with than the 10 skills you see at the skillbar. (Forum discussion). She also listed the top 10 ways to spot a Guild Wars 2 n00b, all in good fun of course!
- The War of Guilds: HoM guide to 30. Blogger Ananamoose shares her tips on how to get 30 points in the Hall of Monuments.
- Condottieri: Will blogging be an issue in Guild Wars 2? Lashen wonders how botters will fare in Guild Wars 2. (Forum discussion)