The Ancient Guardian Art of Bashing Faces
Welcome to Guardian weapons training. My name is Zervish Alaris, I will be your instructor today. This training is meant to give you a brief review of weapons and how to use them. It is not an in-depth analysis however… for this, you should talk to a scholar, or try it out on foes in the field.
Without further delay, I introduce you to your new friends…
- Strike chain : on 3rd hit, strike and apply might for each foe you strike.
- Symbol of Wrath : Pierce the ground with a mystic symbol that damages and burns foes while granting retaliation to allies.
- Whirling Wrath : Spin in place and swing your greatsword while hurling powerful projectiles.
- Leap of Faith : Leap at your foe. On hit, blind nearby foes.
- Binding Blade : Throw blades at your foes, causing damage over time. Bound foes can be pulled to you.
Great offensive weapon, with solid AoE melee attacks, and mobility/snare. I like to spot a group of foes, and combo 4-2-3 for major damage. Skills #1 & #3 skill lets you move around, and you should to reduce damage taken. Skill #4 can be used even if in range of foes to apply blind, which is good to help you survive… or it can be saved to reduce downtime to get to the next group.
- Hammer Swing chain : Strike, Bash, Create a symbol that gives protection to you and your allies.
- Mighty Blow : Damage nearby foes with a mighty ground slam.
- Zealot’s Embrace : Send a wave toward your foe that immobilizes foes in a line.
- Banish : Launch your foe with a powerful smash.
- Ring of Warding : Create a ring around you that foes cannot cross. Trapped enemies cannot exit the ring while it is active.
Great weapon to defend a location against a single foe, hence more useful in PvP than PvE in my opinion. Skill #1 seems to be single-target. Skill #5 is good because it can be used two ways, either to keep foes from reaching you, or to keep foes from running away from you. Combined with allies doing AoE damage, skill #5 could be a strong one to use in PvE to keep foes in AoE DoT longer. Skills #3-#5 are also good to keep foes from entering a control point.
- Wave of Wrath : Send out a powerful shockwave, hitting up to five foes.
- Orb of Light : Fire a slow-moving orb of light that can be detonated to heal allies.
- Symbol of Swiftness : Sear a mystic symbol into the target area, damaging foes and granting swiftness to allies.
- Empower : Channel might to yourself and allies around you. Heal nearby allies when it ends.
- Line of Warding : Create a line in front of you that foes cannot cross.
Staff is meant to be a support weapon, with healing (#2), swiftness (#3), and might and healing (#4). Line of warding if hard to use well but satisfying to pull off, blocking foes behind a line while keeping the ability to hit them with your main staff attack. The staff does a wide-arc medium-ranged damage, thus is meant to be use more at mid-range rather than long-range.
Mace + Focus
- True Strike chain : Smash, Bash, Hit your foe with a final strike and heal nearby allies.
- Symbol of Faith : Smash a mystic symbol onto the ground that damages foes and regenerates allies.
- Protector’s Strike : Surround yourself and nearby allies with a shield. Damage foes that strike protected allies. Grant protection to yourself and nearby allies if you are not struck.
- Ray of Judgment : Pass a ray over foes and allies. Foes are damaged and blinded. Allies gain regeneration and cure one condition.
- Shield of Wrath : Create a shield to block the next three attacks. If the shield is not destroyed, it explodes and damages nearby foes.
I paired these two weapons because they are strong as melee defensive. Every skill has some way of helping you keep nearby allies alive. The downside is that you only have one ranged skill (#4) and no mobility. Skill #3 is best used when directly attacked. Skill #5 too, unless you want it to detonate. Mace + Shield is another solid defensive option.
Scepter + Shield
- Orb of Wrath : Fire an orb at your foe.
- Smite : Strike foes in the target area repeatedly.
- Chains of Light : Immobilize and make your foe vulnerable with ethereal chains.
- Shield of Judgment : Create a shielding wave in front of you that damages foes and gives protection to yourself and up to five allies.
- Shield of Absorption : Create a dome around you that pushes foes back and absorbs projectiles, detonate the dome to heal nearby allies.
I paired these two because it gives you ranged attacks with ways to keep foes at a range. With this set, I like to combo 3-2-2 (I hit 2 twice to select it and then cast it, it’s ground-targeted). Snaring makes the foe stay in the AoE longer. Skills #4 & #5 are more situational. I also like to combine the scepter with the torch for a more offensive option, 3-2-2-5-2-2-4 makes for a good offensive combo to use before switching to a melee weapon.
Sword + Torch
- Sword of Wrath chain : Slash, Slash, Send out a cone attack, striking up to three foes.
- Flashing Blade : Teleport to your target, striking them and blinding nearby foes.
- Zealot’s Defense : Block ranged attacks while casting magical projectiles.
- Zealot’s Flame : Set yourself alight, periodically burning up to three nearby foes. Throw your Zealot’s Flame at the targeted foe, damaging them but increasing the skill’s recharge time by 50%.
- Cleansing Flame : Breathe magical flames that damage foes and cure conditions on allies.
With this set, you get access to two skills that hits foes in a line (#3 & #5). It thus pays off to line them up… A good rotation is 3-2-5-4, which hits foes at a range, teleports & blind, then sets them up for a long time burning. Note that while using #5 you can move, and you should to make sure you hit more foes and avoid some damage.