PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2. Anyone playing it?

Tsume
11-11-2004, 09:16
Just wanted to see if anyone else is playing the game, and what you thought about it. I know there are Halo forums, but I'd rather just stay here. :lol: I'm sure some of you like first person shooters as well. I love the updated AI in the game. At first I was kinda iffy about playing as the Arbitrar and all the new weapons, but I quickly became acustomed to them. Kinda miss my ole pistol though. I kinda find the new battle rifle useless. Its pretty different from the first. A lot more interactive. So tell me what you all think. Please dont post back just trashing it. I personally wouldnt care but I would hate to have people argue over a game in the thread and ruin the information I wanted to get from it. So go on, tell me.

gismo
11-11-2004, 19:39
I've only played the first 2 missions so far. I really love the AI. My personal favorite is when you're chasing an enemy around a box he will jump up on top of the box and start shooting down at you. Pretty nifty. The taunts they yell at you if you hide around the corner can be pretty funny.

I don't quite understand the playing of the heritic(sp). It would be cool if we could choose good or evil but having to play both? Also I truly hate the new shield. I liked halo 1 where you had your shield meter and life bars. Now I don't know how much I can take before getting killed.

Tsume
11-11-2004, 22:03
Not much. Lol. Trust me. If your shield goes down dive behind something. And quick. I like dual wielding, but hate how it takes up 1/3 of ur screen lol. Those energy weapons are so huge. I love using the energy sword against the flood though. I hope theres allways one available. Easy battle with sword.

Scaper-X
11-11-2004, 23:14
As I didn't get an X-Box, I didn't get Halo, despite all the great things I heard about it. I played it a bit, sure, so I saw the old graphics. The morning of the ninth (1 a.m.), friend of mine comes in to tell me he got it and is starting it up. Wowed by the impressive and well-done cinematic intro, I play a bit.

Let's just say I wouldn't complain if someone got me an X-Box bundled with Halo 2 for [insert holiday here].

EDIT: So I bring up that last line to the girlfriend.
[17:15:59] <Fraggle> I know what I'm getting you for Hannukah
[17:16:21] * Fraggle flashes you a brilliant suggestive smile.
[17:16:27] <Scaper-X> An X-Box and Halo 2?
[17:16:32] <Scaper-X> (joke)
[17:16:48] <Fraggle> No, that's what you're buying /me/.

I wear the pants in the relationship. No, really. Stop laughing.
-- Scaper-X

Fallen_62
12-11-2004, 00:43
I have been playing Halo2, prolly more than i should :P I have been doing some coop missions with friends, as well as Head to Head and solo. I so love this game ;) I waited in line for 2.5 hours monday night to get the game at 12:01 AM Tuesday morning ;) Was up til 3:30 playin til i had to go to bed for class.

Tsume
12-11-2004, 07:21
I have been playing Halo2, prolly more than i should :P I have been doing some coop missions with friends, as well as Head to Head and solo. I so love this game ;) I waited in line for 2.5 hours monday night to get the game at 12:01 AM Tuesday morning ;) Was up til 3:30 playin til i had to go to bed for class.

Now that...is a Halo fan. :thumbsup:

Scaper-X
12-11-2004, 07:51
So I just got back from a Halo 2 multiplayer with people in the dorms. Was fun, I made a sign out of a cardboard box side and sharpie: "HALO 2 MULTIPLAYER ON NOW!"

Placed that next to the elevators, got about a dozen in game.
-- Scaper-X

Fallen_62
12-11-2004, 08:10
So I just got back from a Halo 2 multiplayer with people in the dorms. Was fun, I made a sign out of a cardboard box side and sharpie: "HALO 2 MULTIPLAYER ON NOW!"

Placed that next to the elevators, got about a dozen in game.
-- Scaper-X

Heh, we dont even need to advertise. We just have our door open and our room fills up with 4+ people every time. I have made several friends since the game came out :P When we left to go eat tonight, my roomie and I left a friend in our room to play, cuz we didnt want to tell him he had to stop. Its fun to watch people play and fun to play yourself ;) I love it :D

Scaper-X
12-11-2004, 08:31
We had about six to start with on three or four systems, but were hoping to attract other system owners (more players).

I remember there were folks looking to Halo deathmatch at the beginning of the semester, so it shouldn't be too difficult to have some monster multiplayer gaming going on.
-- Scaper-X

Tsume
12-11-2004, 08:38
System to system is definatley better than x-box live. I remember once quite a while ago with Halo: Combat Evolved, there was a huge gaming session held at this frat house that was entirly wired with every room having atleast one tv and xbox. Sadly I didnt get to go :( . My buddies said they couldnt even count how many people were playing.

black_death6
12-11-2004, 23:43
i got it, but the supbscription that came with it for x-box live doesnt want to work :( and im not sure if ebgames will give me a new card, becuase i want to try xbox live befor i get the starter.

but halo2 is the best game every, kicking *** with the sword too much fun.

~Kazama Fury~
02-12-2004, 13:42
since i dont have a xbox, i am waiting for the pc version.

monkeyallen
03-12-2004, 02:05

ya I waited at hastings for a few hours till midnight for the game where i got third in a halo competition and won a hat! That night i played from 1200 to 730 in the morning to go to my early morning class. I fell asleep in every class including us govt where i got hit by the teacher with a rolled up paper. Just like the first, im not a huge fan of the i player story even though it was sweet and i beat it, but i absolutely love the multiplayer, even more than the first. I usually play with about 6-10 of my friends in lan parties and i love x box live when i play it over at friends houses. Most people say that all the levels are too big for one v one's but there are plenty of maps small enough, but too big to just run the map the whole time like in one (exept for beaver creek). So yes i like the game. :thumbsup:

Tsume
03-12-2004, 03:36
Everyone done the Grunt birthday party yet? For those who dont know its an egg on The Arbiter level, legendary difficulty. You use the banshee from the first pad and fly down to a lil hanger filled with Grunts dancing around th....well I'm not gonna explain it. :wink:

vesh
03-12-2004, 05:28
Not playing Halo2 atm. Was never a big Halo fan. What i am sad about is that KOTOR2 doesn'y come out until next year on PC

st-hearts
18-12-2004, 22:15
The real question is: Who isn't playing Halo 2?

That being said, I have to say I hate Halo 2. Not because it's a bad game or anything, but because everybody and their grandmother on campus keeps raving about it. Seriously people, it's not the Second Coming, so shut up.

Now Half-Life 2...I'll never get tired of the physics engine in that game, it's so fun nailing bad guys to the wall with a crossbow bolt. And no, it doesn't get tired or boring.

~Hearts~

AeroJonesy
18-12-2004, 23:16
I figured here's as good a time as any to poke my head in. I'm from the Diablo II OT Forum, Toader's been talking up GW to me for awhile. But enough on topic, I've been playing lots of Halo 2. I'm currently around halfway through on Legendary. And I've played a ton of team skirmish, and minor clanmatch games.

HeavÅngel
19-12-2004, 00:50
Tsume, Do think it would be good for my son JJ to play it>?

AeroJonesy
19-12-2004, 04:01
To get some good use out of the battle rifle, try teaming it with a plasma pistol. A very deadly combination, even in multiplayer and on legendary. Fire off an overcharge, then switch to the battle rifle for a headshot.

Fallen_62
19-12-2004, 11:45
Hmmm, I never thought of that AJ. Thats a pretty good idea, cuz alone, the BR kinda sucks :P And Im more of a sniper myself, so I can usually get the headshots ;)

p.s. Nice to see you and HeavÅngel around ;) Found a new OTF, AJ? :P

edit: Heav, it depends on how old your son is. If he is able to handle a little alien blood and a little (sometimes a lot) frustration from dieing, then yea, this game is pretty fun. It may be hard to control for someone a bit younger, but the controls are easy to pick up after a while. If he has played N64 and Goldeneye before, there is a nice controller setting that is almost the same to that, and that is what I use. Makes it a ton easier for me. Its called Legacy.

AeroJonesy
19-12-2004, 13:09
There's only one true OTF in my heart. Where else can I waste almost 2 years of my life? But GW is interested me enough to start poking around here.

I'm surprised people actually use legacy. Doesn't it make circle strafing kinda difficult? I found the switch from the Goldeneye style of controls most welcome.

And Fallen, the plasma pistol tracks ridiculously well. And the overcharge travels a long way. Use the tracking to your advantage on multiplayer. You'll have to learn how to dodge them too if you want to stay alive. And in single player, if you spot an elite a long way off in the distance, they tend not to move sometimes, unless they are programmed with a patrol. So line up your shot just right and let that overcharge fly. Once I had to wait 2 seconds for the shot to actually get there, but that gave me plenty of time to switch to the battle rifle and line up my shot to time it right after the overcharge hit.

Tsume
21-12-2004, 04:29
Tsume, Do think it would be good for my son JJ to play it>?

Heav it really depends. If JJ likes first person shooters, then this is frankly one of the best. It's not gore filled in the sense that your not killing fellow humans. Now he will splatter some alien blood, but its so colorful it seems more like your painting a picture. The flood can be pretty creepy, but its not gonna scare him silly like say Doom 3 might. I would recomend Halo or Halo 2 as a great choice for any person that likes first person shooters. There is a compelling storyline mode, and the game absolutely excells in multiplayer. There are a few scenes with some harsh launguage though. I only really remember one or two curse words in the cutscenes, and it really wasnt bad, just Marines. And knowing real Marines, it seemed rather tame to me.

And as far as the battle riffle strategy goes, once you learn how to completly control the feedback of the SMG its been much more useful to me when facing more than one shielded foe, the switching would use too much time, and the kill difference is practically none, if the SMG feedback is compensated. I've allways found it hard to hit anyone with a ranged plasma discharge in multiplayer though, as no player ever stands still. I can see some oppurtunities that would arise where you could do that, I still prefer the closer range.

Gyro Scope
21-12-2004, 21:38
There are several reasons why I haven't played Halo 2 yet:
-shooters belong on PC's anyway
-I'm still busy with Half-Life² and it's awesome multiplayer (plus the jbmod that added welding back in)
-The reviews, while they didn't say it directly, implied that Halo 1 was better anyway, and since that's on PC already, I'll play that one if I ever really feel like playing that type of game.

corax
22-12-2004, 06:47
halo2 is teh sux. now if u could get a brutes hammer.....:drool:

5zigen
25-12-2004, 07:36
I spent the last week playing alot of halo 2 on xbox life at my friends house on Team Training and Team Slayer.

While the Xbox live is awesoem (always fresh people to kill...) the game sucks. Ok so team slayer is Mildly entertaining, but team training is garbage. I mean, why do they even have neutral assault on midship, or ctf on ivory tower. Its just lame. Dont even get me started on the lameness of phantoms.

On top of that the game is broken in a couple ways i think. First off, the weapons need to freaking respawn. The fact that they dont respawn unless they dissapear is so broken. It means on a map where there is a limited number of sniper rifles (like that one map with 1 sniper rifle) somone can really have an excessive advantage by just controlling the sniper rifle. Its lame. You would think there would be a way to get a sniper rifle and try to kill them, but no, you cant.

Also they made the game more 'n00b' friendly. too friendly. In halo 1, headshots were a worthwhile achivement. in halo 2 not only are the extremely hard to get, but its the difference between like, 3 bullets to the chest or 1 to the head... not much point in striving for headshots. Maybe i think that a players aim should be rewarded because of my background playing cs.

If you guys want a broken strategy for Team slayer, on the coast map, here is one. First claim all the sniper rifles/rocket launchers/ shotguns. Then get in the warthog with the railgun. As you might know, the railgun kills in 1 hit, and never runs out of ammo, and shoots reasonably fast. Basicly what happens is that unless they can blow up your warthog with extremely well placed grenades, you can just drive around killing them, and they wont be able to get a rocket launcher or sniper rifle to kill you, because as i said before they never respawn unless they are dropped. They have to rely on either being close or using grenades. Which sucks. So if you go on xbox live some time and play team slayer, try it. Its broken. It can also work with a normal warthog.

Oh yeah xbox live has intense lag problems though, so be carefull. It's kinda lame when you die from some weird blue plasma explosion that kills all your teammates.