PDA

View Full Version : get a life half life

turgon
08-12-2004, 10:50
i just wanted to express my disgust at the time consuming, rediculously planned sequence that gamers had to go through to play Half Life 2. For three weeks starting on the 17th of November, i helplessly sat in front of the computer, trying to get the game to play. Rebooting, reformatting, flashing disk drives, downloading new updates for video card, drfragging drive etc but to no avail. My computer, though not the best, was able to handle Doom3 pretty well, and i didnt need a new card. Well not yet anyway.

The game I bought LEGALLY, with my OWN money, was not letting me play because in order to do so, i had to install the game ( fine ) which took about 40minutes, then connect to the net to UNLOCK the game, which took about 1 hour, only to end up with a message that said

'game currently unavailable, please try again later'

DOH

i understand that Valve did this in order to prevent piracy, but when the peeps who downloaded the game ILLEGALLY are playing away, us loyal gamers who bought it legally are sweating away shaking our fists at the screen. Numerous other people have had similar problems, and the Steam forums are flooded with HELP ME! threads...but no answers. Technical help was useless, and only provided the obvious solutions.

This forced me to take a somewhat drastic measure. After three weeks, i went onto game copy world( its a legal site, btw ), and downloaded a 'fix' for Half life 2. WORKED LIKE A CHARM. i was able to play half life, but i'm still trying to get counter strike to work.

Most of my emails to suppot have not been answered, and if Valve continues to use this atrocious method to get people to play, without providing any support whatsoever, they'll have a lot more 'piracy' on their hands than they had hoped to get rid of.

Dreamsmith
08-12-2004, 13:04
If the pirates provide a better, more hassle-free product, with better support, it should be no surprise to anyone which version people prefer, and recommend to their friends.

If you want to see an end to onerous copy protection schemes, vote with your dollars. Don't buy games with onerous copy protection schemes.

turgon
08-12-2004, 16:20
well said. :thumbsup:

it is the first, and last game that ill be purchasing from valve. I really dont care about new counterstrikes or new half lifes, unless they change their policy, they've permanently lost a loyal fan. When i purchases HL2 i had no idea that it needed to go through the processes i mentioned above. Guess i kinda got too excited( who wouldnt be after waiting since 99 )

Scaper-X
08-12-2004, 18:15
You say this was the first Valve game you purchased and then you talk about waiting since 1999? Which is it?

Also, you're aware of the source file robbery, the added delay as a result, and the fact that HL2 features an entirely new (and some say revolutionary) engine, right?

Yes, the game is giving many trouble. Patience is a virtue, particularly when it comes to buggy programs. (Personaly, HL2's only issue for me was with Steam being overcrowded and, as a result, forced me to wait an hour to get the cd-key registered.)
-- Scaper-X

turgon
08-12-2004, 18:20
lol i never actually owned the copy of the firs half life. played it at a friends house.

Ti-Ben
09-12-2004, 13:11
Yeah that's the only thing I *really* hated about HL2. I don't just don't get it. You install the game on your pc, it should be unlocked at the same time, but no you have to go on the net to unlock it. Very stupid by Valve if you ask me. The game is great and all and can't wait until more mods come out, but the install is what make them really bad, a very bad move I think.

Lord Gargoyle
10-12-2004, 15:04
If the pirates provide a better, more hassle-free product, with better support, it should be no surprise to anyone which version people prefer, and recommend to their friends.

If you want to see an end to onerous copy protection schemes, vote with your dollars. Don't buy games with onerous copy protection schemes.

well said. i heard the "other copy" was just extracting and playing with a little ai-bug or something.
though on bioware forum a dev of them said in a very similar thread that this online registrytion might be the future. spyware here we are.

MasterNightfall
12-12-2004, 12:27
On Steam, I've already voted with my feet, erm dollars.

MasterNightfall
12-12-2004, 12:33
Also, you're aware of the source file robbery, the added delay as a result, and the fact that HL2 features an entirely new (and some say revolutionary) engine, right?

It was not ready to be released, and Valve very much knew it. The "robbery" was convenient indeed.

Yes, the game is giving many trouble. Patience is a virtue, particularly when it comes to buggy programs. (Personaly, HL2's only issue for me was with Steam being overcrowded and, as a result, forced me to wait an hour to get the cd-key registered.)
-- Scaper-X

Some people are getting video stuttering, I hear. Anything about that?

Tsume
13-12-2004, 00:37
I've heard it was a great game and that there was some problems getting it to work that was teeing off a lot of people.

I've also heard mention that the Half Life 2 delay was planned and intentional, which would explain why they dont seem to be going after anyone.

Where as Microsoft has actively acted against the people who got Halo 2. I havent heard a lot about Half Life 2 from buddies, hows it holding up. Is the play living up the hype?

turgon
13-12-2004, 06:50
PPl are still trying to get it to work after all this time. Valves actually come up with a few solutions on its website, including a few patches, but nothing thats yet to solve the 'game unavailable' issue. I still cant play counterstrike....:rant:

Ive heard of the video stutter, but havnt experienced it myself. And i thought Deus ex 2 was buggy..

However, it does deserve all the hype, gameplay wise. The controls remain the same though, which is good news, and the graphics are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Its heads and shoulders above doom3, with better guns, sound, AI etc. The physics arent anything 'new', but have been done extremely well, and you'll really get a kcik out of the grav gun ( tossing barreal at zombies etc).

The story on the other hand,is a bit of an enigma, and you really dont know what the hell is going on, even after you've beaten it. Id advise you to play it if it werent for the god forsaken process i mentioned above.

MasterNightfall
13-12-2004, 10:34
The controls remain the same though, which is good news...

...Deus Ex 2...

Deus Ex 2 made me cry. No, really, it did. Are you supposebly a super-human agent, or some sort of elephant, trying to walk on a tight-rope..? Three yays for "fixing" things that weren't broken.