PDA

View Full Version : Monk Smiting Prayers need a boost?

Tarew
12-12-2004, 17:25
Just asking for other people's opinion :)
So far, whenever people use monk as either a primary or secundary class they nearly always do it for the healing or protection skills.
I've never even seen a more offensive monk before.

I would think each class is supposed to be able to have some decent offense, even a defensively oriented class like the monk and the Smiting skill line seems to support this theory.
However, I don't think I've seen anyone (or at least only very few people) look at the tree before, which would suggest it's underpowered right now (and even more so since the monks skills have been lowered overall...for some reason including the Smiting Prayers, which were already scarcely used before that).
Maybe I'm just missing builds which use smiting prayers though, it's certainly possible. Just curious what you all think :)

Gauvain Trenfair
12-12-2004, 17:48
They're a healer, they're not going to get super powerful offensive skills

Tarew
12-12-2004, 17:52
They're a healer, they're not going to get super powerful offensive skills

No I get that, but if Arenanet wanted them to be pure healers, why did they give monks the Smiting Prayer tree in the first place?
What I'm saying is that if they're going to give monks a tree dedicated to (more) offensive skills, they might as well make them worthwile enough for somebody to actually use them (which I don't think anyone is doing at the moment).

SojakFA
12-12-2004, 18:25
Yea, one must wonder why they bothered putting it all in there in the first place just to have it all be so underpowered. Either up the damage on them or super decrease the resistance on undead/evil creatures to where it might actually be effective...

Darc.Syde
12-12-2004, 18:31
to compliment their prime or secondary proffession.

alpha testers have seen and tested what smiter team can do if AN decided to boost thier dmg up. its trully unbalanced.

TheDumbAss
12-12-2004, 18:33
i thought i read somewhere that holy damage ignores all damage, if this is true then i dont see their smiting underpowered to much.

Dreamsmith
12-12-2004, 18:40
to compliment their prime or secondary proffession.
In what way?

Darc.Syde
12-12-2004, 18:43
well, there's.... hmmm.... :scratch:

Gauvain Trenfair
12-12-2004, 18:49
Holy spells do double damage to undead

Vexion
12-12-2004, 19:40
If smiting was given a boost I could see where it gets unbalanced. 8 monks casting powerful spells and healing eachother with area heal would make an invincible team.

5zigen
12-12-2004, 19:54
Some of the spells are really good. Some of them are junk. Of course i think some cost too much (even though they are really good)

Good skills:
Balthasars aura,
Bane Signet
Banish
Judges Insight
Scourge Healing
Shield Of Judgement
Signet of Judgement
Smite Hex
Symbol of Wrath
Balthazars spirit

Bad skills
Holy strike (compared to banish??)
Holy Wrath (compare it to retribution and say "what?!")
Strength of honor (seems Like too little dammage increase for 1 energy regen)
Zealots Fire (seems too akward to use to me)

Overall i think its a good tree, just that people havent explored it much yet.

Akkuma
12-12-2004, 19:55
Against an 8 man team of my build they would be paper bags that I would tear through.

I personally thought Zealot's Fire was an awesome skill. You cast it on a warrior beating on a healor or you cast it on someone getting beat on by a few melees to help "scare them away" and/or force their monk to change the target it is currently healing.

Fallen_62
12-12-2004, 20:22
I started a W/Mo and I made it a smiter, so that it would do pure damage. The only problem I have is that the Smiting skills arent all that readily available. If they could make it so more bosses and/or skill vendors sold them, it would be a lot better, IMHO.

5zigen
12-12-2004, 20:59
I personally thought Zealot's Fire was an awesome skill. You cast it on a warrior beating on a healor or you cast it on someone getting beat on by a few melees to help "scare them away" and/or force their monk to change the target it is currently healing.

But thats not how it works. Unless your warrior was casting spells on your other characters.

How it reads is this:

Zealot's Fire
Description: For 60 seconds, whenever target ally uses a skill on an ally, all nearby foes are struck for 5-28 fire damage.
Energy Cost: 10
Activation Time: 1 Second.
Recharge Time: 30 Seconds.
Linked Attribute Smiting Prayers. Increases damage dealt.
Skill Type: Enchantment Spell.

So basically its good if your a monk, being surrounded and you want to heal the rest of your team, but using the skill "proactively" is near impossible.

And i think fallen is right. The number of skills available at current is pretty low, not just in terms of smiting skills but just about every class. You can go through EVERY quest in the game and easily not see half of the skills from either of your professions either used by a boss or available from a trainer. I am not sure if this was their intention or not but it seemed like what i observed.

Green_Opiate
12-12-2004, 21:22
And i think fallen is right. The number of skills available at current is pretty low, not just in terms of smiting skills but just about every class. You can go through EVERY quest in the game and easily not see half of the skills from either of your professions either used by a boss or available from a trainer. I am not sure if this was their intention or not but it seemed like what i observed.

heh sorry but i gotta call you on this one. the game is at 20 or so % as far as we've seen in the beta, so it stands to reason we'd see 20% or so of the skills readily available (ie able to be bought from the skill trainer)

Akkuma
12-12-2004, 22:02
Ah thanks for the correction, I didn't notice that. Zealot's Fire is very nice for a Mo/W build imo. It is also nice for a R/Mo, while they try to damage you they will just find themselves unable to and will take 28 or so damage.

If they changed Zealot's Fire to whenever the target ally uses a skill on anyone then it would be leaps and bounds better. However, this might be considered extremely overpowered in that state.

5zigen
13-12-2004, 05:31
heh sorry but i gotta call you on this one. the game is at 20 or so % as far as we've seen in the beta, so it stands to reason we'd see 20% or so of the skills readily available (ie able to be bought from the skill trainer)

we are seeing about 50% of the missions though ;) so i would assume that we are actually seeing more than 20% of the games content at this point. But who knows, they might be withholding alot of skills from us too (i think i remember somewhere reading that all of the skills were accessible during the beta event, dunno if that was true or not, but i imagine with the right luck gambling you could get anything.)

Jor the Normal
13-12-2004, 21:59
we are seeing about 50% of the missions though ;) so i would assume that we are actually seeing more than 20% of the games content at this point. But who knows, they might be withholding alot of skills from us too (i think i remember somewhere reading that all of the skills were accessible during the beta event, dunno if that was true or not, but i imagine with the right luck gambling you could get anything.)

Sorry but this a false assumption. You're assuming missions are the only content in the game so even if we are seeing half of the missions doesn't mean we are seeing half the content also. Explorable areas outnumber missions by far. In one of the interviews the devs have said there are over a hundred maps, most of which are explorable areas and some are towns.

grimajrd
20-12-2004, 09:10
hmm honestly i only used smiting stuff when i was solo farming missions for drops. i use a mnk/mes build and sac my points i spent in inspiration and put em in smiting when soloing. in pvp i find most of them more then useless so wont waste points there

SojakFA
20-12-2004, 09:28
I've been looking at them more, and you can't really use them much for damage. However, you can use them to screw with enemies.

Retribution is nice, and lets face it, it's big brother Holy Wrath really sucks (lose 10 energy per hit? BAH). Scourge Healing to 'F' with Monks and Scourge Sacrifice to 'F' with Necros. Shield of Judgment is knock over city, and anything that delays the enemies from dealing more damage is great! Smite Hex is good for obvious reasons. Zealot's Fire is good when used on one of those monks who like to be in the thick of things. It would probably be a good emergency spell.

As I said, the just damage ones aren't that great, but if you use the ones with special effects you can really screw things up!

grimajrd
20-12-2004, 10:48
true i tested most of them a little bit in pvp when i had not regained reskilling points. some of them can get real awesome when used right
i.e. scourge healing when timed together with your group mesmer who backfires the oposing monk at the same time. boom almost insta death for the monk if he isnt on his toes and keeps doing his stuff. most of the hexes and stuff only perform at full potential when you work together in your group and time em wisely (yes Teamspeak is a must have in GvG battles and in tournament as well since it gives your group a solid advantage.

Kastimizillion
02-05-2005, 00:44
Try playing around with different builds.

Smite is awsome and definatly not underpowered.

krage
03-05-2005, 06:41
No, smiters are no longer overpowered. Haven't been since they majorly boosted all the smiting skills in the april BWE :)

Unfortunately though finding smiting skills with an RPG character is next to impossible so far. My smiter monk has ascended already and I've yet to see a smiter boss from which to capture any decent skills :(

trafalgar-zero
04-05-2005, 21:06
Well let me list a few good combos since not many people have played as them, or even look at them.

Scourge Healing (availability)
Description: For 30 seconds, every time target foe is healed, the healer takes 15-67 holy damage.
Activation Time: 2 Seconds.
Recharge Time: 5 Seconds.
Skill Type: Hex Spell.
+
Shield of Judgment (availability)
Description: For 8-18 seconds, anyone striking target ally with an attack is knocked down and suffers 5-41 damage. This is an elite skill.
Energy Cost: 15
Recharge Time: 45 Seconds.
Linked Attribute Smiting Prayers. Increases duration and damage dealt.

This means no more pesky W/Mo mobbing your healers if they have this going.

There's other combos that combine with other classes very well, just look around they are pretty obvious.

One more combo for the road

Description: For 8-18 seconds, anyone striking target ally with an attack is knocked down and suffers 5-41 damage. This is an elite skill.
+
Balthazar's Aura (availability)
Description: For 10 seconds, foes adjacent to target ally take 10-22 holy damage each second.
Energy Cost: 25
Recharge Time: 15 Seconds.

Every wanted your monk to tank? Well here you go, those warriors are coming after you anyways, so save them the trip. Toss on scourge healing on the monk keeping them alive, and you might just sway the battle.

Prodigy Ming
05-05-2005, 08:42
Well let me list a few good combos since not many people have played as them, or even look at them.

Scourge Healing (availability)
Description: For 30 seconds, every time target foe is healed, the healer takes 15-67 holy damage.
Activation Time: 2 Seconds.
Recharge Time: 5 Seconds.
Skill Type: Hex Spell.
+

This means no more pesky W/Mo mobbing your healers if they have this going.

There's other combos that combine with other classes very well, just look around they are pretty obvious.

One more combo for the road

+
Balthazar's Aura (availability)
Description: For 10 seconds, foes adjacent to target ally take 10-22 holy damage each second.
Energy Cost: 25
Recharge Time: 15 Seconds.

Every wanted your monk to tank? Well here you go, those warriors are coming after you anyways, so save them the trip. Toss on scourge healing on the monk keeping them alive, and you might just sway the battle.

this skills looks good... would it be wise to use warrior as secondary and use to stances to stay alive longer to withstand the beating? or is another profession better?

shadyjoe
05-05-2005, 14:13
Balthazar's requires 25 energy. Great skill, but you really need Glyph of lesser energy to run it. Monk primaries can pull it off, but better to be a Monk/Ele. Hit Shield of Judgment when you see the warriors coming for you, then Glyph, then Balthazars and finish them off with symbol of wrath. If you don't kill them, you'll make them think twice before coming back for you.

Hunt3r_kill4
07-05-2005, 22:11
I've seen at least two powerful smiter monks, they run into the middle of the crowd, and manage to survive/kill at the same time

Prodigy Ming
08-05-2005, 00:11
I've seen at least two powerful smiter monks, they run into the middle of the crowd, and manage to survive/kill at the same time

what's their secondary class? what kinda skills did they use? thanks

Bravo
09-05-2005, 10:40
People seem to be misreading zealots fire:

Cast it on yourself.
Now whenever you use a skill on anyone in your party it triggers the damage around them.

Great for going back and helping other guild members on the 'rurik' missions, spam cast on rurik to keep him alive and at the same time killing all the opponents around him. All without having to get within their agro range.

Kya The Sacred Fist
21-05-2005, 03:07
Dunno if this topic is dead or not, but since I read through it, I had to post somethin'.

Hi! I'm Kya The Sacred Fist. Peeps have prolly seen me around in the game. That's great, yada yada... At times, I feel like probably the ONLY smiting monk in the game. Glad to know there's some peeps out there pursuing that underrated build. Though I have a lot of fun with it, switching back and forth from doing damage (which seems only lessened by a foe's Shielding Hands) and healing at will, making it seem as if I'm controlling everything that's going on around the placel just bringing a mixture of skills along instead of one type and not the other. Gets a bit annoying when ya get things like "omgwtf ur not a heeling monk!1!!?" even after ya blatantly tell them BEFORE the mission(s) that you'll be smiting. Anywho! (And yes, I'm aware of how tedious being a monk can be at times, considering my first character was a designated healer, and this is my second)

Ruling out my sixteen attribute points in Smiting Prayers, the twenty percent chance to half the recharge time for them, and the fact that my secondary is Mesmer so I can utilize such things as copy spells like Arcane Echo (or Echo whenever I find the bloody thing) and Mantra of Signets, Smiting is pretty awesome!

Aside from the obvious double damage (and sometimes quad) to Undead, Smiting can do some pretty strong indirect damage that, as previously mentioned, ignores targets armor! What with things like Balthazar's Aura, Zealot's Fire, Smite Hex, Symbol of Wrath (I haven't found those two elite signets yet), those can inflict a lot of area damage over time. As for the single target damaging skills, Banish, Smite, et-cetera... those come out pretty fast. Really useful when, considering your skills are strong enough, you're healing people and you see something with low health that just needs to die right then and there, and though I've yet to really use Scourge Healing, that probably works, too. I'd think Backfire would be a whole lot better though (yet more obvious since it'll appear on the top left screen of the foe in PvP).

Now, let's check out some numbers!

Gonna put in some random constants first, though...

Zealot's Fire: 30 (though it's fire damage, so it'll vary)
Banish: 50
Bane Signet: 50
Smite: 50 (monotonous, isn't it?)
Symbol of Wrath: 25
Balthazar's Aura: 20

Now then. Example number one.

Mantra of Signets + Bane Signet + Bane Signet + Arcane Echo + Banish + Banish + Smite = 250 Damage.

That's about half of a level twenty's health, and also, the Banish and Echoed Banish recharge in pretty suitable time, or enough to pull them both off again before Arcane Echo cancels!

Number two!

Zealot's Fire + Balthazar's Aura + Arcane Echo + Symbol of Wrath + Symbol of Wrath = 540 Area Damage (varied)

And for the third... though only if ya got like a crap load of Energy...

Zealot's Fire + Arcane Echo + Balthazar's Aura + Balthazar's Aura = 460 Area Damage
You might be able to fit another Symbol of Wrath after that, too.

But anyways, I think I've typed enough. Hopefully, that impressed some of ya peeps!

Insane Master
22-05-2005, 09:44
Representing for Monks who are Smiting. I really do not want to heal, and i really like the videos of pwnage by smitin monks. i have been warned that healers are most saught after(most loved bla bla bla), and that in the later areas(ring of fire) that smiting is crap. i say w/e im a smittin monk and thats that.

Man now only need to get to lev 20, find the eilites then dominate. Once a new idea for tradin is implemented, ill become rich, with all the possible drops.

Ok tahts my 10 cents. Smitin Monks neeed to join up, dont be afraid.

Kya The Sacred Fist
25-05-2005, 00:13
Representing for Monks who are Smiting. I really do not want to heal, and i really like the videos of pwnage by smitin monks. i have been warned that healers are most saught after(most loved bla bla bla), and that in the later areas(ring of fire) that smiting is crap. i say w/e im a smittin monk and thats that.

Man now only need to get to lev 20, find the eilites then dominate. Once a new idea for tradin is implemented, ill become rich, with all the possible drops.

Ok tahts my 10 cents. Smitin Monks neeed to join up, dont be afraid.

You and I should meet, Insane. My character name is exactly the same as it is on this forum. But anywho...

Well, I consider myself a Judicator! That's my own definition between smiting and healing, thus in a sense, controlling the fight. And often times... it's must easier to just off something rather than having to constantly heal your subtle damaging buddies. The good thing is, ya can switch back and forth between those two rather important decisions, but remember. You CAN'T do it all.

Sure, I've beat the game quite a long time ago, but there's people out there that still look scornfully upon smiters. Well, I just got out of a twenty-five win streak (twenty-three being flawless), so they can say what they want to that.

The important thing is, you're still a caster, so you're still fragile. You have to know when to run and also when you can keep yourself alive while dealing return damage back to an enemy. PvM, people don't realize a smiter's value. When they're fighting that Sand Worm for ten minutes and you just randomly decide to cast Balthazar's Aura and suddenly half it's health is gone, people don't thank ya. PvP is solely based on ignorance. If the enemy doesn't know what Symbol of Wrath or Balthazar's Aura is and don't move, they can take a whopping 600 damage! (Or at least from my stuff so long as Arcane Echo is in use). Warrior groups are good for that, if you're being protected by another monk, but Warrior/Monks are the devil. Shielding Hands and other damage reduction spells are the ONLY things in the game that'll limit your armor ignoring damage.

But moving on, after twenty-five back to back wins... it's about time for me to go do something else. x.x Ciao!

He Hate Me
25-05-2005, 01:23
what's their secondary class? what kinda skills did they use? thanks
secondary really doesnt matter. for farming smite monk is the way to go i think.

definatlay not underpowererd, maybe even overpowered a bit. ask someone who ive taken for company on a few drake runs(i know it lower lvl stuff but i dont see any warriors solo'ing it in under 10 mintues)

TheGreatDivorce
25-05-2005, 03:30
With decent armor and Energy pool, Smiters dominate in PvE like nothing else can. However, in PvP, they aren't nearly half as effective from what I have seen from myself and others who played one.

ifaway
25-05-2005, 09:46
Can some of you experienced smitters post some screens of your equipment? Or what would constitute ideal smitter equipment? I'm thinking of trying one for my next char.

jlowry
26-05-2005, 01:05
After seeing a few smiter videos, I've decided to give one a try for both party support and farming (which I do now with my W/N). I'm still a bit undecided on the exact build, but I'll figure that out as I get more skills (at Divinity Coast now). The weapon/off-hand choices for a smiter are what I'm having the most trouble with, though. Would a skillful smiter please give some example of their recommended smiter gear?

Thanks in advance for any help!

ifaway
26-05-2005, 08:52
After seeing a few smiter videos, I've decided to give one a try for both party support and farming (which I do now with my W/N). I'm still a bit undecided on the exact build, but I'll figure that out as I get more skills (at Divinity Coast now). The weapon/off-hand choices for a smiter are what I'm having the most trouble with, though. Would a skillful smiter please give some example of their recommended smiter gear?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Where did you get to watch these videos? Can you please post some links?

jlowry
26-05-2005, 16:18
Where did you get to watch these videos? Can you please post some links?

There is one in this forum: http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=346162&highlight=ganzut

I don't recall where I saw the others. Regardless, the one GanZut posted is awesome (the music is very catchy)!

Dainka Earthfather
26-05-2005, 21:46
the reason u dont see as many smiting monks is because they arent made for offence. why make a smiting monk wen u can have an elementalist? but i can tell u that the smiting monk is very powerful as a Mo/Me. holy dmg doesnt get reduced. mass signets.

He Hate Me
26-05-2005, 23:17
the reason u dont see as many smiting monks is because they arent made for offence. why make a smiting monk wen u can have an elementalist?

you obvoiusly never tried to solo(no hench) an area with a smiting monk, then an elementalist. /delete elem

sometimes i take an elem with me, and i drop the group before she gets off her second spell.

jlowry
26-05-2005, 23:33
you obvoiusly never tried to solo(no hench) an area with a smiting monk, then an elementalist. /delete elem

sometimes i take an elem with me, and i drop the group before she gets off her second spell.

I have to agree that while elementalists are powerful for AoE, they are too SLOW! I have an elementalist friend that insists on going with me while I go farming (currently using a W/N until my smiter build is perfected). I can drop the group almost as quickly solo... The only thing his character adds is frustartion for me since aggro control in my hunting grounds is a bit sketchy. I will have to say the ONE burst of AoE that he does get to cast helps finish them off....that's about it. Half the time, I have to res him, thought, since his armor is much too low for my hunting grounds.

Dainka Earthfather
27-05-2005, 15:41

wat i meant was PvP wise. as in there are more offensive spells for fire magic or w.e then there are smiting. and i doubt i would ever solo with a monk. armor way to low forcing u to focus on healing and protection more then the acual attacking.

He Hate Me
27-05-2005, 16:55
and i doubt i would ever solo with a monk. armor way to low forcing u to focus on healing and protection more then the acual attacking.

hint-healing yourself does aoe damage. monk is accepted as best solo class so open your mind a bit.

jlowry
27-05-2005, 18:01
hint-healing yourself does aoe damage. monk is accepted as best solo class so open your mind a bit.

It appears you are a bit closed minded yourself. Any character build CAN be fully functional if done right. That's the beauty of a balanced (or at least close to it) game! Yes, smiters and other builds that can both deal damage and self-heal are good for soloing most any area, but there is no build without a counter. The only reason a solo monk does so well (in the areas you may be hunting in) is because their counters are not often spawned. In later areas of the game, it becomes quite difficult to rely on all the enchantments a smiter uses....leveling the playing field once again. Before you go off stating garbage about the "accepted...best solo class", "open YOUR mind a bit".

He Hate Me
27-05-2005, 19:12
ok. i jsut got to get out of pre searing first.

no really, ive been through the missions with 4 chars(e/w/mo/mes, in that order) ..deleted a fully infused ascended mes to make a 5th char(necro) which im exploring every area there is and doing eveyr quest i find just to make the game last longer. i know there are certain mesmer mobs, if they cast certain spells, that can be annoying. thats why we can switch up skills man. :happy34:

dont tell me about later areas of the game i can clear out perdition rock in about 20 minutes(not skipping everying but flesh golems like most). i can mow down blessed griffons north ofrankor camp easily(no henchmen either case)
the point, hands down monk is the best PVE char. if you want to group..you got 10 invites with a word. if you want to solo, you better at it than anyone. aoe damage(fast), doing it while healing.sure my warrior can survive solo, but its slow going. my elem can aoe, but cant stay alive long enough to do it. my mes..well my mes was good pvp thats about it.

ok so i will change my 'garbage' of saying 'accepted best solo class' to....'accepted by people who have a clue'.
watch one of the vidoes these smite monks put on here, some arent even that good and still people awe at it.

(on a side note, idont thing its cool how effective they are. if not for most of the monks not realizing it, there would not be any to group with. it do need looked at)

crazy oaf
24-06-2005, 11:57
I made a monk as a 4th character, I smite, it rocks in PVE and PVP both! Im a healer and smiter both in PVE and PvP. In PvE its easy to farm, using offense with healing although it gets harder in higher level mission wherein ill have to get a henchie healer or real healer to do my stuff. In PvP, i totally disagree with pople saying monks arent meant to deal big damage when I deal so much damage myself sacrificing healing. I hated this warrior last night in PvP, i told them that I dont heal, i smite, he goes"whats the point of choosing a monk when u dont even heal" "be a team player, just heal, thats where ull be usefull"... well he was in the other group, his nick was "War **" hehehe my group won against them and he kept saying s*** about me even in whisper... surprisingly, after we lost, we got grouped, me and him, 3 warriors on the other side, he died, i went in front of his corpse while 3 warriors attacking me, used SoJ, SoW, spammed Boon for Zealots fire.. they died, we won...then he left lol... actually Good wattiors avoid smitters when they realize that the monks a smitter while newbies continue atacking and wonder, WTF is happening? lol, I just hope no one mocks smiting monks, u dont know what we can do, just like all the clases, each one has pros and cons, a mesmer and a really good necro can take me down easily...i aint using my warrior anymore cuz IMO, fast kill is like defense, lol, 375 damage for SoW and BA in 10 seconds, plus the 44damage with knockdown from SoJ, just as long as theuy dont have good healer watch their back, ull finish em off easily, in 10 seconds or even less, last night, i got grouped with another smiter, Healar Hanchman i thinnk was the name, we killed a mesmer, ranger and necro in about 8 seconds,good combo, monks ROCK! I ven had kinda sucky equiptment since I havnt gotten really far with my monk in PVE hehehe just my 2 cents