PDA

View Full Version : Music

Ricky McDay
30-12-2004, 20:10
Hi Thanks for reading the Thread
Music - how many of you are playing music right now? What do you like and why ? List a band you think someone might like or give a shout out to your band. ps i hate MTV!!

Dreamsmith
30-12-2004, 21:23
Music - how many of you are playing music right now? What do you like and why ? List a band you think someone might like or give a shout out to your band. ps i hate MTV!!
I hate pretty much any popular music outlet (local radio stations especially). But then, I've never heard great bands like Apoptygma Berzerk or VNV Nation on the radio. I think a lot of VNV Nation music would go well with Guild Wars, particularly stuff from the Praise the Fallen album ("Honour" comes to mind, or "Kingdom", although that's a different album).

Mystic Arrow
30-12-2004, 21:29
I hate pretty much any popular music outlet (local radio stations especially). But then, I've never heard great bands like Apoptygma Berzerk or VNV Nation on the radio. I think a lot of VNV Nation music would go well with Guild Wars, particularly stuff from the Praise the Fallen album ("Honour" comes to mind, or "Kingdom", although that's a different album).
HM.. I think some songs from Slipknot would go well with Gw...especially when killing those nasty bosses. :xmad:

Darc.Syde
30-12-2004, 21:39
i have to agree, i hate MTV, theres no M in MTV anymore...

i like all types of music. well, that is until the feeling the music gives me passes...

Dreamsmith
30-12-2004, 21:45
Anyone remember when MTV used to play music videos? :lol:

MTV was worth watching in the 80's. Right around 1990, it started to go bad.

Mystic Arrow
30-12-2004, 21:49
Anyone remember when MTV used to play music videos? :lol:

MTV was worth watching in the 80's. Right around 1990, it started to go bad.
Hm...im lost..in the 80's? I wasnt even here in the 80s, how old are u guys?

Dreamsmith
30-12-2004, 22:14
Hm...im lost..in the 80's? I wasnt even here in the 80s, how old are u guys?
That has already been discussed in this thread (http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=296540). :lol:

Mystic Arrow
30-12-2004, 22:43
That has already been discussed in this thread (http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=296540). :lol:
Wow i didnt realized there was ppl your age playing this game, not that you're old or anything, somewhat i knew it... u sound more mature than i do...

Dreamsmith
31-12-2004, 00:24
Wow i didnt realized there was ppl your age playing this game
Heh, don't be silly. We 30-somethings are the generation that they ripped the pinball machines out for, replacing them with Asteriods, Pac-Man, and all the other machines we spent our teen years pumping quarters into. Our money built Atari -- we created the home console market. We're the original video-game generation. You'll find a lot of us in just about any game these days. We're everywhere, unavoidable. If it weren't for issues revolving around wives, kids, free time, etc., we'd probably still constitute the majority.

"Pac-Man Fever" never wanes, it just moves from game to game... :lol:

LeftAlone-
31-12-2004, 23:06
Im not good at talking about music... all I have to say is, Enigma.
<3

Ricky McDay
01-01-2005, 05:41
I hate popular music too lol ok maybe not hate but just burned out with it. Sorry i don't know the bands you are talking about VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk what do they sound like. pop rock or something different??

Ricky McDay
01-01-2005, 05:42
i have to agree, i hate MTV, theres no M in MTV anymore...

i like all types of music. well, that is until the feeling the music gives me passes...
your right there is no M in MTV what do you think we should name MTV i think it should be called BLM be like me lol

Dreamsmith
01-01-2005, 06:33
... VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk what do they sound like. pop rock or something different??
You know, I'm very bad at placing bands or music into genres, and it doesn't help when no one else is terribly consistent either. If forced into a quick description, I'd say they're on the borderline between Industrial and Techno, which is right about dead center for my musical tastes (I hate about half of what people call Industrial, and about half of what people call Techno/Trance/whatever, and the halves of each that I do like are actually fairly close to each other). Not sure if that helps. How about this: they're both harder than Depeche Mode but softer than KMFDM. If that doesn't help, I'm at a loss -- most bands I like a far more obscure than that...

Ricky McDay
01-01-2005, 07:39
If that doesn't help, I'm at a loss -- most bands I like a far more obscure than that...
lol good old goggle man i just look them up lol sorry to but you out like that. I like bands that no one knows like The Beautiful Mistake, Spitalfield they sound like ummm how would i put this i don't know lol it is like the matrix no one can be told what it is whey have to see or in this case hear it for your self lol now go go and have your hart opend to the sound of pure feelings and remember to turn it up turn it up

Darc.Syde
01-01-2005, 07:50
You know, I'm very bad at placing bands or music into genres, and it doesn't help when no one else is terribly consistent either. If forced into a quick description, I'd say they're on the borderline between Industrial and Techno, which is right about dead center for my musical tastes (I hate about half of what people call Industrial, and about half of what people call Techno/Trance/whatever, and the halves of each that I do like are actually fairly close to each other). Not sure if that helps. How about this: they're both harder than Depeche Mode but softer than KMFDM. If that doesn't help, I'm at a loss -- most bands I like a far more obscure than that...

same here.

just look at the "rock" genre. theres metal, punk, pop, etc... and people claim to be able to tell the difference between them all. and when they call something punk, and the artist who wrote that peice of music calls it metal...

unless you wrote the peice, dont catagorize it please... you may end up looking silly. :lol:

Green_Opiate
01-01-2005, 19:25
Hey, I know VNV Nation. A friend burned me Empires. Good stuff.

:D Tool rocks. :music:

DevilDog
01-01-2005, 19:51
Give me a good Marine cadence and I'm a happy spawn-point camper. :thumbsup:

starbreeze
05-01-2005, 21:11
Anything Radiohead is great with me

starbreeze
05-01-2005, 21:11
Anything Radiohead is great with me

Ti-Ben
05-01-2005, 23:22
I listened to Tool, Dream Theater, couple of j-pop thrown here and there but nothing serious (I'm still a newb on the j-pop :D ), Nine Inch Nails, 30 Seconds to Mars, Juno Reactor, Pink Floyd and Audioslave.

So it's very diverse, but nothing can be put in the same genre. I usually say I don't listen to type of music, but I listen to bands who I found special. Everything outside of the groups that I listen is unbearable. :lol: <--- what the hell happened to the laughing smiley. :(

Ricky McDay
06-01-2005, 17:06
I listened to Tool, Dream Theater, couple of j-pop thrown here and there but nothing serious (I'm still a newb on the j-pop :D ), Nine Inch Nails, 30 Seconds to Mars, Juno Reactor, Pink Floyd and Audioslave.

J-pop and Tool lol good stuff.

st-hearts
09-01-2005, 00:15
If you're getting into J-Pop, I'd suggest:

-Hikaru Utada (Best. J-Pop. Artist.)
-Ayumi Hamasaki (She's everywhere)
-BoA (Korean, but she's really good)
-CHEMISTRY (J RnB, but they're really good)
-m-flo (OH MY GOD, m-flo rocks beyond belief. So much variety)
-Ken Hirai (his voice is really good, "soulful")

For people who have already listened to these artists and like something more, I'd suggest:

-Heartsdales
-Koda Kumi
-Crystal Kay
-KOTOKO
-DOUBLE
-Yoshika
-Mika Nakashima (I like her a lot)

Yeah...I saw "JPop" and wanted to gush for a bit.

~Hearts~

Aramis Night
18-01-2005, 10:27

Omg. We seem to have very much in common musically. I actually work at a store that sells the bands you just mentioned. I love both apop and vnv among a long list of others. My favorites would probably be a long list of similar bands though i would kill to see a concert with flesh field [ive loved there stuff ever since there first album],l'ame immortelle [there newest album was great], and the cruxshadows [saw them live a year ago with the last dance and it was one of the best shows id ever been to]. I own about 300 cd's of similar bands. If ever you run out of interesting bands to look into i have tons of recommendations. /slap self...... sorry about that. I just had to hit myself to remind myself that im not at work.

lostchyld
18-01-2005, 15:04
my brain is running the CD Fallen by Evanescence. I don't usually play music once I have a few CDs memorized. I get better quality in my mind.

junkyardgod
18-01-2005, 20:38
Man this is a subject that i love but is so hard for me to talk about because everyday im finding something new that is just super mind blowing and remembering something old that just makes you tingle and grin. Lately it has been lots of metal (not headbangersball metal) thats kinda weak. I ve been listening to the Styx, Foreigner, ZZ Top, CSNY, and Floyd, the Gr8teflDead, one minute and then Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Pig Destroyer, the Red Chord, Deadwater Drowning, Coalesce...the next. and then Tool, Deftones, Boy hits Car, Korn, NIN, American Headcharge, blah blah blah there is sooo much!!!!!!! OH music is so great...

Rinni
23-01-2005, 15:36
Hi all,
I really don't have a favorite that I can say ;)
I love all kinds of music :) I listen to www.Racketradio.com ALOT I love the variety. So when you are looking to listen to music give them a try I think you will like them :).
I am known as Ana_TM there.
Rinni

Fearox
23-01-2005, 17:10
I listen mostly to what people call metal. Isis, Bal-Sagoth, Arcturus, The Kovenant, My dying Bride, The project hate MCMXCIX, Rammstein among others. And various black metal, horror music (Devil Doll), electronic stuff, trip hop and softer kind of music. So nope, no MTV music for me either. And the radio stations in Sweden only plays the hit list kind of music, so it's not worth listening to the radio.

Harmless
05-02-2005, 01:51
Here's a group..........I liked them better a few years ago when they were more into what they called cajun slamgrass. Now they are rock/bluegrass
http://www.leftoversalmon.net/com/

Ihateeggplants
06-02-2005, 18:20
Most of the stuff I listen to I can garauntee you have not heard.

-Mindless Self Indulgence (Bascailly brought up the electro-punk age)
-PT Grimm (My friend's band, they are quite famous in New Jersey/states around there.)
-Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (Strangest band I have ever heard. If you are the artsy type I recommend you download Sleep is Wrong)
-Dream Theater (duh)
-Symphony X (This would go well with the game. I recommend you dl Out of the Ashes or Inferno.)
-Gwar
-G.G. Allin. (King of Punk)

doublebubble
06-02-2005, 19:42
Oh Well, wherever, wherever you are,
Iron Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far.
See the blood flow watching it shed up above my head.
IRON MAIDEN WANTS YOU FOR DEAD!

I think that speaks for itself.

The best metal band ever! Still rockin hard!

~dB~

TBMarauder
07-02-2005, 01:36
Music to read the forums by ...

Keith Sweat - "The Best of Kieth Sweat - Make You Sweat".
Or anything by Talib Kweli.

Lady_Alenuska
07-02-2005, 02:32
Here is some of the music I indulge my self in I've little I'm not fond of however I like some of the more darker themed stuff not surpriseing when my Favorite musical is Sweeny todd the demon barber of Fleet street. Which is essentially about a barber who goes around murdering people while his mistress makes them into pies it's such a lovely satire.

The Birthday Massacre
Rammstien
Nightwish
Within temptation
Theater of Tragedy
Lacuna Coil
Arcturus
Darling Violetta
Type O Negative
King Diamond
Gwar
Genitorturers
St. Eve
Dark Well

and much more those were just off the top of my head and I know I missed quite a bit.

doublebubble
07-02-2005, 02:34
^^

*Corrected*

--Rammstein--
--Nightwish--
:D :D

~dB~

Fearox
09-02-2005, 02:45
-Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (Strangest band I have ever heard. If you are the artsy type I recommend you download Sleep is Wrong)

Thanks a lot for that info :) I had never heard of them, but now I love them. Reminds me a bit of Isis (I'm sure there are mp3s on a site somewhere...), but at the same time not.
Lady_Alenuska also has nice taste, I see. Arcturus!!1111!

By the way: For the guys who like strange music I can recommend a band called Squidfarm Disaster.

Lady_Alenuska
09-02-2005, 12:43
Thanks a lot for that info :) I had never heard of them, but now I love them. Reminds me a bit of Isis (I'm sure there are mp3s on a site somewhere...), but at the same time not.
Lady_Alenuska also has nice taste, I see. Arcturus!!1111!

By the way: For the guys who like strange music I can recommend a band called Squidfarm Disaster.

Thank you, for the compliment. So what kind of music does Squidfarm Disaster play? Thanks for the recommand I'm always interested in new types of music or band's.

Fearox
09-02-2005, 15:46
So what kind of music does Squidfarm Disaster play?
Some kind of horror tivoli music. I think posting a link will violate the forum rules, so I won't do it. Googling for it should bring you a few samples of songs I think.