PDA

View Full Version : Did your character build up worked out?

nocarrots4u
10-01-2005, 17:53
Hi there, at BWE January I made a character named Bone Stitcher

Perhaps some of you remember she's a tinny necro/monk.
I wanted to toy around and give another breeze to all who died.
The first idea was to take monk second was to give the summoned creatures a longer life time, but it seems they barely last from an enemy attack.
So I enhanced them with a bomb trigger and explodes when they die.

The setting works well and amusing when you go play solo with henchmans.
The problems when playing a team full of players, the team will not wait everytime for you to harvest suicide bombs and giving you a little time after to regen your mana.

At the end it was more fun to turn the players into a living bomb. It really give you a good feeling when you see them explode :xsmile4:

Xircon
10-01-2005, 21:37
Hi there, at BWE January I made a character named Bone Stitcher

Perhaps some of you remember she's a tinny necro/monk.
I wanted to toy around and give another breeze to all who died.
The first idea was to take monk second was to give the summoned creatures a longer life time, but it seems they barely last from an enemy attack.
So I enhanced them with a bomb trigger and explodes when they die.

The setting works well and amusing when you go play solo with henchmans.
The problems when playing a team full of players, the team will not wait everytime for you to harvest suicide bombs and giving you a little time after to regen your mana.

At the end it was more fun to turn the players into a living bomb. It really give you a good feeling when you see them explode :xsmile4:
Did my build work out? I am not totaly sure. But one thing I can say, Mesmers's rock.

EDIT: Bone, glad that you came and joined us here. I think you will be a great addition to the guild.

Tsume
11-01-2005, 00:38
The build I mainly focused on this weekend was what I would like to think as of an excellent life drainer. I did not get all of the skills I needed, but I did get a pretty nice set up going.

A Me/N specializing in Illusion Magic and Curses. I have not worked out which utility attribute I would be using yet, but I relied on Blood and Inspiration as backups this BWE. I wanted to stay away from Domination because it is geared more towards punishing casters. I am considering adding shatter enchantment, to shatter those pesky troll unguents and healing breeze.

Since almost every spell in my lineup was a hex the spell soulbarbs was of particular use. Soul Barbs adds an amount of damage when a new enchantment or hex is put on an enemy. Since I typically got off 4 hexes before running out of mana that skill was well served. Some skills that caught my interest were ones that set off when the enemy attacks, like Clumsiness and Ineptitude. Shadow of Fear is a particularly useful spell. When cast on enemies it spreads to nearby enemies and slows down their attacks noticably. I expereimented with quite a few spells, and enjoyed the character. I felt he was decent though not at his prime. You could definatly notice the creatures health dwindling after he has made an assault, but he still needs just a few more powerful skills for me to be content.

Metroid_01
11-01-2005, 03:48
i had a me/ele build i wanted to try. awful idea. i made a lvl 20...and it was just not worth it in any way. no energy, and the fast casting was not near as impressive as i had hoped.
i switched to an ele/mo build.....and i must say i am in love. this build is great. the ele/mo can handle areas that my old ele/ranger wouldnt dare, even at higher lvls.

what i have her doing is this.
primarily she is a hit power character so to speak. she has the most damaging *fire* spells i could get her at that point. then she has like 2-3 healing + that enchantment primary eles start with to heal from their own energy use (forgot the name ><), this makes her much more effective...the basic premise being she is less of an on the fly healer as between battles, and for some minor stuff in the field. (she had low healing, but enough to be useful.)

also, i was thinking about a different type of warrior build. something like a warrior/ele. basic idea THERE is to max out fire skills, go with the best aoe spells possible (stuff like inferno and phoenix, and of cource conjure flame for that extra boost...), and then get some good (preferably aoe if possible) warrior skills....and go with it. basic premise here is a character that while it may be more frail than the popular warrior/monk, can deal out massive damage to groups, crippling them extremely fast.

UndeadBehlial
11-01-2005, 03:51
Was it just me or is monk greatly nerfed? I remember the previous BWE and I was doing a fantastic job of healing, never had trouble. This time, I cast Orison(67 life) or Signet of Devotion(83 life) and people's life barely moved, whereas before I could swear there was a much more substantial gain. Is there a new factor I overlooked that changed? It cannot just be my imagination - I literally went from loving Monks to thinking "wow, not THAT useful".

On a sadder note I used a W/Mo premade for a while. I'm sad to say I enjoyed it. Probably because the difference in fighting is so huge - and i'm not talking offense. As W/Mo people actually run PAST you and even run AWAY from you (though chasing people SUCKS and is SO frustrating). Playing as a monk you just get beat on over and over. I'm thinking of making a warrior, but a N/W - vampire style. Though I like W/Mo, I do not think I could use it just because of how many people will be using the exact same thing.

On a brighter note, props to Xircon for going beyond his melee-only zone to check out the Mesmers. FYI he is right - mesmers rock, but from an outsider point of view it does seem like they are bad. You have to experience it.

Tsume
11-01-2005, 05:42
As W/Mo people actually run PAST you and even run AWAY from you (though chasing people SUCKS and is SO frustrating). Playing as a monk you just get beat on over and over. I'm thinking of making a warrior, but a N/W - vampire style.

In the tombs there was this one warrior chasing after my Geomancer. He chased me forever, and when I finally gauged I had enough life again to stand up to one or two of his attacks I turned and knocked his butt down with earthquake and Weastel's Worry. Heh....it felt good to kill that sucker. Another time I was being chased and I kep running through the battle hoping someone would break him off but they were all busy :lol:. Someone must have got one of his teamates down really far because he broke off finally when I came back around the main battleground.

And as far as N/W, I've started one of them and for now it is a Blood Magic warrior. But as she advances I will focus on curses and see how it turns out. This BWE the curses needed werent readily available so the N/W will probably be Blood magic for the most part.

HappyPants
11-01-2005, 06:09
My axe Warrior Monk kicked total _ _ _. Probably better then the previous Warrior Monk I had before the reset. It seems that reducing a persons maximum life by 20% is more effective then it sounds especially when you have the ability to interrupt and disable their skills and then hit them with an attack doing at least 70. When using frenzy I was astonished at how fast I was attacking. I was even able to solo rift wardens. I think Warrior Monks may be over powered for PvE, but for PvP I don't feel they are over powered.

On a different note, when using runes I found that they did not stack. for example I used 2 runes of Vigor, but only the first one raised my life. I then used 2 runes of axe mastery (or whatever it's called), and again, only he first rune I used worked. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but just a word of caution to people not to put multiple runes of the same type in your armours.

plottski
11-01-2005, 11:06
w/mo is almost my favorite build, I would have to say that n/me is my all time favorite they destory w/mo's so fast, and a little bit of soul reaping is just mana in the bank. I wanna get a few better mana burning spells. So I can shut down a few troublesome monk with there heal. All in all i am happy with my builds

Plottski

ShadowmageIX
11-01-2005, 14:02
The build I mainly focused on this weekend was what I would like to think as of an excellent life drainer. I did not get all of the skills I needed, but I did get a pretty nice set up going.

Yeah your life draining worked pretty well there for a while, but later on as we played it seemed unable to sustain you when you got too close, much as with my Necro. But when I spammed Sould barbs, shadow of fear and my leech spells, and you added yours, the health loss/second for monsters became -really- awesome.

We just... you know... need to be less brave. that way we won't be at -60 as often :P

Metroid_01
12-01-2005, 00:33
We just... you know... need to be less brave. that way we won't be at -60 as often :P

that was my problem too ><. i was the suicidal one in the group. usually not a big deal tho. i would run in and inferno/firestorm stuff to help the warriors...of cource once that death penalty went up, the habit didnt go away, and i would get real low on hp real fast.
then again, half the time i didnt need to go the monsters....they seem to dislike me. (of cource we all know the toughest monster in guildwars couldnt take a metroid...so it must be jealosy heh...)

Tsume
12-01-2005, 01:37
Yeah your life draining worked pretty well there for a while, but later on as we played it seemed unable to sustain you when you got too close, much as with my Necro. But when I spammed Sould barbs, shadow of fear and my leech spells, and you added yours, the health loss/second for monsters became -really- awesome.

Lol. Hey now thats not my fault. The problem with a Mesmer's fast casting, is that he gets off the first damage on a foe most the time. So the foe immediatley targets him, and when there is a group of 'em, the AI has the entire group focus on him unless they are picked on before they start attacking. Thats the way it seemed to me anyhow. It is true my Mesmer took quite a few beatings this weekend.

I dont know about many players, but I really liked the Shadow of Fear spell. There was a substantial drop in the monsters attack speed, and it definatley allowed me more time to try and fight them off.

ShadowmageIX
12-01-2005, 13:05
The problem with a Mesmer's fast casting, is that he gets off the first damage on a foe most the time. So the foe immediatley targets him, and when there is a group of 'em, the AI has the entire group focus on him unless they are picked on before they start attacking.

Nah it's not that, the icedrake made them do it, and you know it! We'll definately go beat on him next time! revenge will be ours!

Infidel
12-01-2005, 13:57
Well my build from the first beta i was in, december, did not work out, it was a R/E. Although i have seen others using this build, maybe it was my lack of knowledge that led to his....non-good attributes. But, as metroid did(gave me the idea) my E/Mo worked out very well and probly will be my main from now on.

ShadowmageIX
12-01-2005, 16:30
Well, what I personally learned from this weekend, was that a good party-makeup is absolutely essential.

Caster characters frequently seem to be best suited as ranged support, you really -do- need melee people to keep monsters away from you.

Unlike diablo and it's ranged spam-fu of death where melee characters pretty much stink. They are essential in GW, which I believe is a good thing

UndeadBehlial
12-01-2005, 17:17
unless barrage turns into strafe/multishot hahaha. Anyway, if you guys want to fiddle around without doing a bunch of math, check out the GW attribute calculator. http://www.gwonline.net/files/filetype.php?&order&type=Utilities% its really nice and, from what I can tell, was updated as of the last BWE. Just about all it DOESN'T do is boost your healing skills according to Divine Favor ranks and it does not lower your casting costs for ranks in Expertise. Still, you can do that math alone and its simple. If the d/l doesnt deide it wants to work just let me know, i still ahve the zipped version i can email to anyone.