PDA

View Full Version : OT:Why do guys play female characters?

Fearox
22-01-2005, 01:19
This is a simple question, but may be very hard to answer. Or? And of course I'm interested in why girls pick male characters too. The thread name just ended up too long if I made it "unisex".

For me it just feels strange to make a character which isn't the same gender as me. I guess it's just me wanting to *be* my character.
In Diablo II you couldn't choose gender, so I ended up playing females anyway. And when I did something happened... The character wasn't a part of me anymore. It was just some kind of puppet under my control.
Maybe this is just me who doesn't like taking a role. I have nothing against role playing though (pen and paper).
And now I see a few of my friends (guys) picking female characters even if there is a choice. Why do they do that? I haven't asked them yet, as it may sound like me accusing them of being transvestites or something :lol:

So now it's your turn to tell me why you choose character gender the way you do, or why you think people pick the gender that doesn't represent them.

Legolas El
22-01-2005, 01:32
I played Zons on D2 for hmm 3 years or so O.o, But only because I like playing Bowazons and there is no male option.
I would guess and have seen it posted that alot of males play female chars just to have something a lil easier on the eyes to look at ...
On Gw's I now have the option of picking gender, so I would say I'll only play male chars, one of my reasons for this is I've seen firsthand how other players oogle and say sexist things to female chars and I would rather not have to deal with that, Or constantly be asked if I'm a female ...

Dria = Teh Goddess

lostchyld
22-01-2005, 01:32
So now it's your turn to tell me why you choose character gender the way you do, or why you think people pick the gender that doesn't represent them.

Well, my reason is the easiest one I can think of. I don't play a character to represent me. Last BWE I played a male character named after my boyfriend because he lives an hour away and I was feeling lonely. I basically used the character as a proxy to feel closer to him. Pathetically sweet of me, I think.

As for hardcore roleplayers, what greater challenge is there than trying to accurately portray a member of the opposite sex? I can't think of one.

I also think that some people have a similar strategy to mine, except the character is a proxy for a significant other who doesn't exist at the moment.

{BK} Sess
22-01-2005, 01:33
Why not, after a while you get sick of looking at a guys butt while playing, And which would you rather stare at for long periods of time. lol

Fallen_62
22-01-2005, 01:33
This is the first time I have actually played a female character when I had a choice (d2 I played Zon's and Sorcs, and they were female, but we didnt have a gender choice) in the matter. I play the female models simply because I think that they look better than the male ones in GW. I just dont like the look on many of the male models and hair styles and such.

Synthos
22-01-2005, 01:39
This is a simple question, but may be very hard to answer. Or? And of course I'm interested in why girls pick male characters too. The thread name just ended up too long if I made it "unisex".

For me it just feels strange to make a character which isn't the same gender as me. I guess it's just me wanting to *be* my character.
In Diablo II you couldn't choose gender, so I ended up playing females anyway. And when I did something happened... The character wasn't a part of me anymore. It was just some kind of puppet under my control.
Maybe this is just me who doesn't like taking a role. I have nothing against role playing though (pen and paper).
And now I see a few of my friends (guys) picking female characters even if there is a choice. Why do they do that? I haven't asked them yet, as it may sound like me accusing them of being transvestites or something :lol:

Ive played both male and female charecthers, although my girlfriend who also plays guildwars only has played females. I just pick what looks good :) Ive been sure of my sexuality for say 16 years (Im 21, i thought girls were icky till about 5yrs old) And so far, i have yet to be flirted with or hit on when i play the girl charechters. And if your one of those people who flirt with girls online without meeting them... ..yeaah well its not safe you dont want to end up flirting with a 50yr old guy named bob ;)

Synthos
22-01-2005, 01:43
Well, my reason is the easiest one I can think of. I don't play a character to represent me. Last BWE I played a male character named after my boyfriend because he lives an hour away and I was feeling lonely. I basically used the character as a proxy to feel closer to him. Pathetically sweet of me, I think.

As for hardcore roleplayers, what greater challenge is there than trying to accurately portray a member of the opposite sex? I can't think of one.

I also think that some people have a similar strategy to mine, except the character is a proxy for a significant other who doesn't exist at the moment.

Heheee awwww :D
Why dont you get your boyfriend to play guildwars too :) Playing guildwars with my girlfriend is one of my favorite things to do with her hehe .

Fearox
22-01-2005, 01:43
Or constantly be asked if I'm a female ...

Actually I've seen people being nicer to female chars. And I think some guys pretend to be females just to get extra help/free stuff. No idea how many does this though. Just a theory.

Yeah, that's very true. Hadn't thought about that at all. There are probably people out there trying to be the guy/girl of their dreams. Like that old movie where a guy made his own girlfriend in a computer of something. What was it called....? Well, sucked anyway.

I play the female models simply because I think that they look better than the male ones in GW. I just dont like the look on many of the male models and hair styles and such.

I agree about that. The necro girl being the best looking so far I think. But then again I try to *be* my character, and as I'm no super model it's ok if the guys don't look that good :D

jvxmtg
22-01-2005, 01:46
If you know the reason why a hairy fat guy pretends to be an innocent young gilr in AIM, then you just answered your own question.

As for me, female = caster; male = melee/range

lostchyld
22-01-2005, 01:51
Heheee awwww :D
Why dont you get your boyfriend to play guildwars too :) Playing guildwars with my girlfriend is one of my favorite things to do with her hehe .

He's planning on it, but he won't preorder from anywhere because he's broke. He'll be using my friend's pass next weekend because we both have reliable internet now. for the past two weekends we weren't sure if we could both be online.

Ti-Ben
22-01-2005, 03:08
Simple reason to choose women models instead of male models : they look better.

Kirellii
22-01-2005, 03:13
I play the smallest character possible.

That way I can see around the character when it is on-screen.

Also, since things are scaled. Other HUMAN casters won't notice me as quickly. Yes - I plan on camoflaging my cloak.... (being Guild Leader allows me such tricks) Now - what exactly will I try to match is the question...

I have not decided the FINAL color of my cloak. I prefer to be up high - so a sky blue might be in the future. I have also though about going arctic white.

Malverik
22-01-2005, 03:15
Why not, after a while you get sick of looking at a guys butt while playing, And which would you rather stare at for long periods of time. lol

heh, good point!

Ashiris
22-01-2005, 03:17
simple question to answer yours:

If you watch a movie, which character attract you most,
Jim Carrey or Cameron Diaz ?

same for the game :)

plottski
22-01-2005, 03:36
I As for me, female = caster; male = melee

My thoughts as well who better to raze a mountain then a small fragile female

Plottski

Zypher Wynn
22-01-2005, 04:43
This is one topic that I have seen come up in every game that has player characters of both genders. The reasons vary as much as the players themselves.
The main five reason gives are:

1. Female (male in cases of women)characters look better to the player.

2. Eaiser to gain items/assitance as a female. The "male protector role" comes out with some in these games

3. Roleplaying challenge

4. The profession desired is limited to only one gender

5. Females are streotypically precived as being weaker

There are many other reasons as to why a person chooses to play an opposing gender. However those are the main reasons.
I have played both male and female characters in games, often because I have one account that I would share with my daughter. Soemtimes she would get bored and stop playing a character that was a decent build. So rather than delete it, I would just play it.

Dreamsmith
22-01-2005, 05:12
Part of the fun of any role-playing game is creating a variety of interesting characters. For some of us, it's a lot like writing fiction (which I also do). It'd be a pretty lousy novel if every character in it was the same gender, wouldn't it? A good author creates characters that are different from one another, and thus necessarily different from himself. It'd be awfully boring if they were all the same. I play four characters, two are male, two are female. Two are essentially nice (although one of those two has become jaded and cynical), and two are essentially self-interested and unscrupulous (although one of them is trying to change). All of them are flawed in some way, but they each fight their own demons (or embrace them, as the case may be).

What I don't understand is, why do so many players want to create characters who are virtual clones of themselves? It's that rather boring?

JesusTehRed
22-01-2005, 05:13
i have to agree with jvxmtg and plottski, i thik of warrios as being big sacks of meat that hit stuff entirely too hard, and casters as... well... dainty. Girl characters seem to fit the role of caster better and male seem to be more natural Meat Sheilds...

Malverik
22-01-2005, 05:36
What I don't understand is, why do so many players want to create characters who are virtual clones of themselves? It's that rather boring?

Personally, I play a character that ressembles me because to me, the community inside GW is no different than the community inside this forum or any other gaming community. If I want to have a friendly chat, or need info about the game, it's much easier to think that the players' opinions and relative apearance are pretty much the same as the human being on the other side of the screen.
Beside, I could not spend my whole time playing GW pretending im a real monk, or im praying to Dwayna, or that its the 6th century, or that im a girl.

Kirellii
22-01-2005, 14:58
I have another reason.

The most likely person to sit down at my computer and tinker while I am AFK would NEVER want to mess with a "girl" character and quickly scoff and move on his way.

The opposite, when I want to entice said male - I say look - big and strong dude - just like you - cool - huh?

Stereotypes are good for the shallow minded as they provide comfort.

I actually want to play an extremely small halfling or elf - hey - a pixie! I have always hated pixies in role playing games when I GMed so now is the time to strike back.

(I once had a marginal halfling character who happened to be male and the whole party got trapped in this crossfire no win scenario. I had my character lose it and charged this ONE door through the death and mayhem. After making three incredible die rolls (1/40000 chance of success), I saved the party. It is kinda like golf. My character like a few others I made which were normal - only had one bright spot, but they shone for that moment. Even if they died as a result - they saved the rest by their sacrifice. This has actually happened more than once. Another favorite I had was a 126 year old human who woke up on the last day of his life and decided to try and make a difference as his God sent him a dream that he had been chosen and SO far had not cut the grade. He was a minimal character at minimal level, but sometimes things like carrying a lantern and throwing it (okay I dropped it when I fell from weakness) and self immolation are the fuel of success if you happen to be in the RIGHT spot to die. My God was pleased at my success but did chasten me for cutting it so close. In both of these examples, I could have lived if someone would have tempted fate to save me in return at slight risk. In both cases, fear kept them from trying. That is sad in an RPG game - but people do become attached and shy from certain goals. Hopefully with the no-death penalty to self rule - GW won't be messed up by such occurrances.)

Fearox
22-01-2005, 15:18

For me it isn't. When I play "myself" it's the closest I can get to casting spells in real life. And that's one of the biggest reason I always try to create *me* in the games. And I'm not a girl, so therefore I make male characters.
Another reason is that I see roleplaying games like a kind of personality test. "How well would I do in a world like that, and what would the world do to me? How would it change me, and would I end up neutral, good or evil?". This "personality test" may not work well in Guild Wars, as I haven't seen that much choices so far. May change though, who knows? But in Neverwinter Nights that kind if play was perfect.
A simple answer would be "I like to pretend it's real, and playing myself helps in that matter".

Thanks all for interesting answers! :)

~Kazama Fury~
22-01-2005, 16:03
you would always see me play with female chars if i had a chance.
the main reason is because its an eye candy. though it may sound kinda odd, but I prefer watching a chick killing endless mobs than a guy. the GW female characters are well done.

the only time ive made a male character, it was in WoW. it was a NE. it felt really weird.

LordConan
22-01-2005, 16:16
Interesting subject this :) This is what I think about it.
When I play a fast action/adventure rpg like GW, I'm not looking for a char that resembles me in the real life, I don't even find gender to be of significant importance. The GW is all about fun: PvP, partying to explore/missions; but in this game there is no real "deep" role-playing element. What I mean by that is: there is e.g. no dialog-choices interaction with NPC which may affect the general story or which gives you a choice to pick a side a conflict etc.

Basically there is no role-playing on "deeper psycological level" in GW, which make me feel that it's not "wrong" to pick a female char to play with if it's making the playing experince more enjoyable because of more varied looks etc.
On the othe hand, I must confess that, in a more profound (single player) rpg like "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines", where the dialog is main part of the game, the world is more complex and realistic, it would feel odd for me to be playing a char of an opposite gender, since in a game like this you really have to use you own personality more when e.g. confronted with different moral dilemmas in the game etc.

If the mmorpgs weren't suffering from so many immature young adults hitting on female char.s, I belive that allmost all would be playing chra.s of both sexes, since mmorpg is not life and if you are looking for a girlfriend you should look in real life instead, mmorpg is created for a different reason ;)

(Plz take no offense from above, I may have gotten the thread topic wrong since english is not my primary, but feel free to argue in a decent tone)

st-hearts
22-01-2005, 20:49
If given the choice, I usually don't play as the opposite gender. However, you have to admit, it's a little easier on the eyes if you're playing as a hot girl/guy for several hours.

~Hearts~

SquidgY
22-01-2005, 21:32
the only time ive made a male character, it was in WoW. it was a NE. it felt really weird.

Whaaa… why a male NE? They looked ugly compared to the females (which is why I chose a female NE Warrior during the Open beta).

I like making counter-part characters… like one char based off Dark Aura and one based off Zealot's Fire. Since I already made the Dark Aura one a male, I'll feel required to make the Zealot's Fire a female character.

In the end for me, it's pretty much just a roll of a die (or flip of a coin, since I have no dice in my possession right now) to see what gender I play, and then I fiddle around with the other customization options 'till I see something cute… like that feather on the male Ranger, or short silver hair on a female Elementalist.

DevilDog
22-01-2005, 22:24
For me it isn't. When I play "myself" it's the closest I can get to casting spells in real life. And that's one of the biggest reason I always try to create *me* in the games. And I'm not a girl, so therefore I make male characters.
Another reason is that I see roleplaying games like a kind of personality test. "How well would I do in a world like that, and what would the world do to me? How would it change me, and would I end up neutral, good or evil?". This "personality test" may not work well in Guild Wars, as I haven't seen that much choices so far. May change though, who knows? But in Neverwinter Nights that kind if play was perfect.
A simple answer would be "I like to pretend it's real, and playing myself helps in that matter".

Thanks all for interesting answers! :)

Pretty much the same reason here. I want to feel like I'm in the game.

I suppose it counts as role playing. I'm not one of the people who will talk about things in the real life while they're playing games. My character IS seperate from me in real life, but it still acts like I do.

OJ-simpson
22-01-2005, 22:26
maybe ppl at blizzard is sexist, and wont make male amazons or female necros?

Dro Albright
23-01-2005, 00:16

I agree that when I "play" a character I want to do somthing different. I am a woman and I prefer female characters and yes, I do enjoy a certain level of attention from male characters. I tried once to play a character totally out of my character. People got mad at me because they expected someone else. That made me feel bad and I never tried that again. Perhaps that is the reason for clones. I play what I know and playing something I don't know is uncomfortable. :idea:

Darc.Syde
23-01-2005, 00:42
maybe because i dont get my role playing kicks off of playing /gw. i play female characters because they look better. i never get asked if im really female, who would when your character's name is chix are hott....

Dreamsmith
23-01-2005, 00:54
"How well would I do in a world like that, and what would the world do to me? How would it change me, and would I end up neutral, good or evil?".
Hmm. I'd be dead within a week. Perhaps that's why I don't try to "role-play" myself. :lol: "Here comes the Charr army, everyone man your posts!" [Sounds of screaming and someone rapidly running away.] "Hey, where'd that Dreamsmith guy go?" [Dreamsmith disappears over the horizon, only to be promptly eaten by a whiptail devourer.]

Fearox
23-01-2005, 01:08
Hmm. I'd be dead within a week. Perhaps that's why I don't try to "role-play" myself. :lol: "Here comes the Charr army, everyone man your posts!" [Sounds of screaming and someone rapidly running away.] "Hey, where'd that Dreamsmith guy go?" [Dreamsmith disappears over the horizon, only to be promptly eaten by a whiptail devourer.]

Hahaha! (:lol: smiley is disabled it seems).

Well, my kind of personality fits the sneaking missions better then, perhaps. I'm diplomatic and a coward more or less (well, I better admit after 28 years on this planet). The perfect caster perhaps? The kind of character I prefer. And melee characters every now and then to fool myself I'm brave.

Bersus
23-01-2005, 03:36
I, myself, fit into Dreamsmith's school of thought. I like playing as characters that are genuinely different from myself. Through roleplaying a lot, i've created a host of different characters, with different backstories and different personalities and I find it more enjoyable to think, What would so-and-so character do in this position, as opposed to, What would I do in such a situation.

Interestingly enough, i've found that thinking like that has begun to rub off on my own behaviour, making me think twice about many of my descisions, thoughts and actions. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. >_>

Fearox
23-01-2005, 04:00
Interestingly enough, i've found that thinking like that has begun to rub off on my own behaviour, making me think twice about many of my descisions, thoughts and actions. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. >_>

That is very interesting indeed. But please don't go tell those kind of persons who want to stop all kind of games because they "lead the youth to a bad morale, or into the pawn of Satan" or similar stuff... :D

Dreamsmith
23-01-2005, 04:20
That is very interesting indeed. But please don't go tell those kind of persons who want to stop all kind of games because they "lead the youth to a bad morale, or into the pawn of Satan" or similar stuff... :D
Pfft. Ridiculous. Personally, I blame role-playing for giving me a sense of honor and duty, a better appreciation of the notion that actions have consequences, for which we are each responsible.

Tsume
23-01-2005, 08:12
Pfft. Ridiculous. Personally, I blame role-playing for giving me a sense of honor and duty, a better appreciation of the notion that actions have consequences, for which we are each responsible.

And also the belief that one can be ressurected... ;)

I find that some people may be a little too into their roles. I have seen people wonder how their character was without him, as well as second guess their actions asking themself what their idol (their other persona) would do. The very idea confuses me, as the character is a part of the person who wields it.

As far as why I play 3/4 of my characters as females.... Well...its just cosmetic. I dont like the way male Necromancers or Elementalists look. As for the other games....well...it beats having people stare and overhearing condenscending whispers when I go out in that sundress. :P

Dreamsmith
24-01-2005, 04:08
I find that some people may be a little too into their roles. I have seen people wonder how their character was without him, as well as second guess their actions asking themself what their idol (their other persona) would do. The very idea confuses me, as the character is a part of the person who wields it.
Not really. Well, sort of, but they aren't the same person. A good character will really take on a life of his or her own. At least while writing, I've sometimes been quite surprised by what some of my characters have said in conversations with other characters in the story. Some of the best dialog I've gotten has been in scenes where I really had no idea where the conversation would go at the start, I just drop the characters in and see what they say.

This isn't as "spooky" as it sounds. It's merely a function of the fact that, until you're confronted with the exact situation, you haven't really thought out how that character would react. Once you're at that consideration point, forced to really think about it, considering who that person is and how they feel, only then you do take the time to work out what would really happen, and in the process of working it out, thinking about it more deeply than you otherwise would, you see things you didn't think of before, work out implications that you never worked out before, and the result can be surprising, when you realize that, confronted with that comment, that question, or that situation, what they would really most likely do isn't what you thought at first glance.

So, no, actually wondering what a character you created would do is not unusual, neither the idea of asking the question nor that it wouldn't be immediately obvious to you what the answer is, even though it's your character. If your characters have any depth, it is not immediately obvious what they would do in a given situation, and often it's not an easy question to answer. Your own fictional characters can sometimes be a puzzle to you, too deep for their actions to be transparent, even to you.

Have enough of these experiences, especially the part about, while writing dialog, having words come out of their mouths that are a complete surprise to you, and it becomes difficult not to think they have lives of their own. They may be nothing more than abstractions, but can't abstractions lead some sort of abstract life? :lol: Perhaps not on their own, but if they're your abstractions, they have as much of an abstract life as you give them.

I think, though, the biggest confusion people have is the very one you end on, the mistaken belief that a character is part of the person who created it. The character is a creation of the person who created it, but so is a hand-made rocking chair. If I make a rocking chair, it's still something separate from me, the fact that I created it doesn't make it a part of me (save in a metaphorical sense perhaps). Any characters I create are not a part of me, either. They are merely something I created. Just because it's an abstract entity doesn't mean it's a part of someone. The Pythagorean Theorem is an abstraction, but it's not a part of Pythagoras, and never really was. For some reason, some people have trouble with the idea that an abstraction isn't a part of the person who created it, but it's not. My characters are my creations, but they aren't a part of me, they're merely things I made...

lostchyld
24-01-2005, 05:26
Not really. Well, sort of, but they aren't the same person. A good character will really take on a life of his or her own. At least while writing, I've sometimes been quite surprised by what some of my characters have said in conversations with other characters in the story. Some of the best dialog I've gotten has been in scenes where I really had no idea where the conversation would go at the start, I just drop the characters in and see what they say.

My characters are my creations, but they aren't a part of me, they're merely things I made...

I agree whole heartedly with your post. The fact that my characters run separate from me is the main reason I haven't finished my book. I've tried planning out what I think they would do. And it goes ok, but then the hero decides that it would be fun to do something like climb a tree, and then I have to go back and rewrite. That's what happens on paper.

Then I take it to pen and paper roleplaying, and I play the character, I don't become the character. However, the characters aren't usually ones to just do as I think they should. Between attempting feats that they shouldn't be capable of, and them having some sort of profound influence over dice, I've had characters do things that are next to impossible by the rules of the game and the rules of probability.

I find that the roleplaying loses something when it gets translated to a computer environment. The characters that we play are constrained by the environment around them, even more than humans are. I've never had a character do anything surprising in a computer game. And I think of them differently, less real. The people in my writing and in the pen and paper games I play I think of as children, or something close to it. They're not me, they aren't really a part of me, but I put a little of myself into making them. The computer characters aren't that real. I didn't have any part in creating them, they're potentially identical to another character, and because of the world constraints, they have no chance to become their own person.

Addressing the thread's question, because of my views, it doesn't matter to me if I'm playing a male or a female. In a computer game, it simply doesn't matter, because to me, those characters are non-beings anyways. In other settings it doesn't matter, because, as I said, the characters are more like my children than me, beings separate from myself but carrying a part of me.

Tsume
24-01-2005, 06:28
I think ya'll missed the boat completly on what I said lol. I didnt mean in the process of roleplaying or writing a story about that character. Ofcourse you would wonder what they would do in that context. I meant in regards to their creator's real life.

As for me, when I do roleplay I only do it for myself. I dont develop the characters for them to have a good time, I steer them and thus mine are allways a part of me.

radiomsc
28-01-2005, 04:32
I don't look at men and women as being that different. Most of our difference other than the few physical differences comes from the society we are in. We are free to choose, at least in north america :), what we believe. For me, I don't see men and women. I just see people. I don't care what gender character I play as even if I'm roleplaying. I don't think I answered the original question though because I think it meant, generally speaking, why do people play as the opposite sex? My views on men and women aren't normal I think. If I had to assume I would say that men like looking at something nice i.e. tit raider. As for women I think the same is true. It's just a guess. I haven't discussed this with many people. :worship:

Hadus Hawthorne
28-01-2005, 05:16
I find that playing a female charactor makes it much easier to get a female to undress for me....lmao. No more waiting, drop the armor and start preforming, the days of asking are over!!

I know, I know...I need help. Give me a break I'm still adjusting to waiting a couple more weeks....).

Seriously, I roleplay also. "Hadus" is my main, I play a female that is his sister "Hadusa", his brother from the wrong side of the tracks is "Hank" and the wild one (constantly trying new builds with her) is "Stella".
2 males & 2 females cause that's the way it worked out in this game. In EQ I played Hadus almost always. The grind to level him with my limited time left me with no time to play other charactors.

Hadus

Zedicus
28-01-2005, 09:34

I don't think the idea is to make a clone as such, but to try and portray everything that you would like to be but aren't. I know this is what I do and why if I have a choice I always play a male character. This character will have all my best traits but to thier fullest potentail with no compromises like the ones I have to make in the real world.

ShadowmageIX
28-01-2005, 11:08
well, I figured that since this was the character I'd spend most of my game looking at, it had better be something nice to look at.

So I inadvertedly made my necromancer the girl of my dreams *embarrased smile*

Tsume
28-01-2005, 12:08
well, I figured that since this was the character I'd spend most of my game looking at, it had better be something nice to look at.

So I inadvertedly made my necromancer the girl of my dreams *embarrased smile*

Well thats so shocking to hear. :uhhuh:

I am pretty cosmetic as far as my choices. I like to look what I'm looking at too. Infact you will often find me talking about how handsome my mesmer is. >.>.......<.<....>.>... what....what? lol. Don't take that the wrong way, I just like my characters to look nice. You should have heard my guild mates ogleing over my ranger. "The ranger so nice, that the original guild banner featured her twice"!. lol.

Oh and Shadow....I allways pictured the girl of your dreams with a whip...but I guess the glowing stick (wand) and studded leather outfit will work. ;)

:p

Lenitas
29-01-2005, 09:01
From my main characters (those that I played over the course of years) in both PnP and online games, one was male, and two were female. (I'm female myself)

Nowadays, in roleplaying, I usually play female characters.
In other, non-RP games, such as GuildWars, I go for something (someone) that looks good, might just as well be a male Mesmer for me or whatever.

I think many guys play female characters so they can watch their character run and wiggle her butt ;)

ShadowmageIX
29-01-2005, 10:53
Oh and Shadow....I allways pictured the girl of your dreams with a whip...but I guess the glowing stick (wand) and studded leather outfit will work. ;)

:p

Oddly enough, my Ex looks a lot like Elothel (including the clothes >_< )

khengoolman
29-01-2005, 12:06
well lets just put it this way, the only reason (for me) is that the male models look..gay, and looking gay is worse than being a female, who is meant to be, well, kind of gay, and u have to agree that the male elementalist is just..ugly

s4nder
30-01-2005, 22:36
I usually play male characters as I'm male myself, but just for kicks I've created female characters in some rpgs like Neverwinter Nights. But, just like someone mentioned here, it didn't feel the same. I was at a distance from the character and the gameplay wasn't as deep. I shouldn't be looking at her curves while fighting, I should be taking care of that mean guy with a whip over there.

And I still don't get why all the female characters have to wear mini skirts. I mean how can a warrior princess fight without any leg protection? And even casters could wear skirts that cover their knees like normal women do. Yes, it's nice to look at, but it makes them feel cheap.

I do roleplay a bit, though, I made my mesmer look exactly like Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean :D.

Lady Eleni
02-02-2005, 06:54
All the characters I've ever played are female, mainly because I am.
However, all of them have radically different personalities, etc. My paladin in NWN is obsessed with destroying anything evil, whereas my rogue is more likely to kill the evil, and then go with the next evil villain that somes along.
In GW, I play my N/W as a character that really refuses to die. Ever. I am always the last party memeber alive on a failed mission, and normally I can pull it through through some amazing stroke of luck.
Role-playing is fun to do, and that is why many guys play female characters, but a lot of guys play females simply for the sex appeal. Thats probably why most guys playng females in GW are eles or necros.

GADefence
02-02-2005, 07:21
I'm a guy, and I like my characthers to be like me when I play a game.

So I always pick a big, really loud male.

RishiBoy
04-02-2005, 08:25
It'd be hard to hit on girls in the game if you don't know if they are one or not. :P

Quartermaine Dionysus
04-02-2005, 09:57
Thats probably why most guys playng females in GW are eles or necros.
I dont know about that, I saw alot of other female rangers that looked like me. I think they are the most atractive of all the females in Gw.I also think they have the best looking armor for sex appeal. Everything is either skin tight or a short skirt. I will play a male player when game releases but until then i'm gonna enjoy the view. It doesnt help that i think the male ranger armor looks lame.

Orthias
04-02-2005, 14:32
I dont know about that, I saw alot of other female rangers that looked like me. I think they are the most atractive of all the females in Gw.I also think they have the best looking armor for sex appeal. Everything is either skin tight or a short skirt. I will play a male player when game releases but until then i'm gonna enjoy the view. It doesnt help that i think the male ranger armor looks lame.

You're right, the male ranger armour really needs some tweaking.

I play a male allways, and i am a male in RL.
I love to roleplay, but i never liked the thought of roleplaying a female character... i really couldn't ientify with it...

To get this straight: when i roleplay i can make up any kind of omplex personality or backstory, then i identify with them, and everithing comes along naturally: what they would say, what they would do in a certen situation, unlike somebody that said before that they have to really make an efort and discover the way they characters would react in a specific situation.

My characters don't lack depth, and their actions and reactions may be clear at all times to me, but are sometimes surprising and unexpected for the ones arround me, as they discover bit by bit the puzzle wich i allready see (or, rather, feel) in my mynd.

For this i posess a great deal of empathy i was born with it... for those unaware, empathy is the ability to project another persons feelings, to intuitivly understand the inner workings of another persons motivations, what drives them , what torments them ,what they like, what they feel.
In short the ability to easely put yourself in another ones's shoes.

So i basicly invent the characther, then empathize with it, so i can become it whenever i want -- for purpouses of roleplaying of course...

But i fnd it very hard to empathize the personality of more than one character (persona) at one time and that's why i am not used to making more than one main character to play at one time.

Also trying to empathize any female character.... it feels weird and i cannot achive any depth with it...
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that men don't understand women's way of thinking, and although in RL i can realise what a woman is thinking more easely then most men, i still am repulsed at roleplaying a female char...

goblintrain
04-02-2005, 16:08
I think i have played female characters ever since Diablo 1. The rogue wasn't hot, i just wanted to use a bow. But bnet was brand new, & it was so friggin fun role-playing a girl, & i did a pretty darned good job at it too. There was this one old pervert that followed me around for about a week, until one day my bro-in-law referenced me by my real name, & i never heard from the weirdo again. In d2, the amazon wasn't hot either, but i really liked playing Spearazons cus they were more challenging than standard amazon builds.

I think more than anything, it was through tv that i became fond of female heroes that kicked butt, like Xena Warrior Princess (yes, terrible show, but Lucy Lawless was the hottest gal on tv in those days), & Buffy the Vampire Slayer (she was too cute to be hot, but it made the butt-kicking part of her character even more satisfying). Now, a lot of my younger friends will grimace cus i would enjoy "girl shows" as they call them, but then, they would watch greased up men on steroids rolling around with each other in a wrestling rink, & personally, i just find that disgusting! So, to each his own.

But, in GW, i make female characters because it is the first game i have played where the women are truly beautiful. My necro/monk is cuter than Buffy, & kicks almost as much monster-butt! And the female necro's channeling animation is just ...a guilty pleasure! ; )

Minelle Tempest
05-02-2005, 14:10
I personally always play a female character (am female myself), mainly because it feels more natural. It also allows ME to have a go at shooting a bow, firing off lightnings or healing - i.e. things i don't know how or can't do in real life.

As to why guys more often choose female chars... Well, a theory my boyfriend has (and I agree with) is that up til now, most (elemental) casters have been female, and these have been the characters that "kick ***". Also, the female chars are often prettier to look at, in the sense that they are better made and have more detailed decorations etc.

Another interesting speculation is: What would the ratio between male and female chars be if everyone chose true to their real-life-gender?

Blackfable
09-07-2009, 08:33

Name:--------------Ian

I've been wondering about this for a while, even though I usually play a female character. for the past couple years I've been exploring my brain looking for an answer. Finally I think I have gathered enough info to create a hypothesis.

I think it starts with my childhood. At the age of 4 my Father divorced my Mom and my mom has been single ever since. She works 3 jobs now, and is a very strong woman. My father on the other hand, was a very weak person and a bit of an *******. So I have grown to be very understanding of my mom, therefore I have high respect for women in general. I find there more strong willed than males give credit for, or even stronger willed then males.

To me playing a female is playing a female. Not making a three-dimensional representation of yourself in a game. When I create a character it's like being born again. You are a new, not yourself. So at a beginning of a game I decide if I want to be Evil, Good or Neutral. I guess you could say I wish to explore what it is like on the female side of things, but it's not just that. I like to make a character different from myself to learn more about myself. I find that female characters in games such as oblivion and fallout 3 seem to be more sneaky, and persuasive.

And it's defiantly not that I like other people heal me first or give me more attention, I usually play single player games. such as: Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, but when I do play an online game I'm usually a male, Guild Wars for instance. I feel in a MMO I like to make a representation of myself because I interact with people, and role playing as a female does not seen appealing to me. But in single player I do not like to make self representations.

I have also heard that some men like to play females becuase they like to get closer to that special someone that they have yet to meet. Makes sense.

I still to this day do not have a definite answer, but this is what I have so far. It's hard to ask why you like to play a female character for the first time, because you don't know, you just prefer a female character.:huh:

--I hope this helps anyone else that has been looking for answers that pertain to playing female characters.--

Nochtflamir
09-07-2009, 08:58
For me, it's looks of the armor choices primarily Male para armors are atrocious, and I think male ranger armor choices aren't all that great, so my ranger and para are female.

I do have other female characters, but for them there was no real deciding factor as to male or female.

Gmr Leon
09-07-2009, 09:06
You know..At first, I thought your post (Blackfable) was just spam, but reading over most of it, and considering the length, I think it's fairly safe to say it's not.

The only major reason I found it suspect was merely the epic nature of it...Resurrecting a four-year old thread, that's just incredible.

That aside..I tend to only play male characters, as I usually don't find it appealing to play female characters. Either because of the way other players treat you, the scantily cladness of them, or something of that nature. Although, if I had to choose between playing a male or female Warrior, I'd probably choose female over favoring that character model over the male character model.

shawn
09-07-2009, 09:27
Epic thread res.

I'm a guy that usually plays female chars.

Girls are pretty.
Furthermore, the males in gw for the most part look like absolute tools, and I wouldn't want to be represented by them even if I didn't think girls are pretty.

But they are.
The end.

Black
09-07-2009, 13:36
I have read many of the posts here and found them to be quite amusing. I guess if you're a diehard RPGer you would think you will act and play a character based on your personal fantasy. In other words, your ideal self in a superhero or supernatural sense.

I play GW for the fun factor in it and care less about ingame gender. A toon is a toon in my eyes so I create a character based on their names and role. Yeah you can say I'm a diehard GW fan, since I do have a male and female character for each of the professions.

The way I play I pick the flavor of the day and choose a character to just play the game with. Heck sometimes I delete a character and remake the female or male toon just for the chance to develop a character all over again. A toon is a toon in my eyes, however; I do have to say that the male designs is somewhat lacking - especially the male warriors - armor and all

MixedVariety
09-07-2009, 14:56
Awesomely random not-spam rez I've seen in a while.

Erasculio
09-07-2009, 15:17
Epic thread res.

I'm a guy that usually plays female chars.

Girls are pretty.
Furthermore, the males in gw for the most part look like absolute tools, and I wouldn't want to be represented by them even if I didn't think girls are pretty.

But they are.
The end.
I agree with everything (including the "epic thread res" thing). The female characters in Guild Wars have a beautiful look (not sexually, rather they have nice designs like parts of the scenery do), and most of the male characters look rather ugly.

Erasculio

bearsfwd
09-07-2009, 15:29
Most of my characters are female. However, I've started to make more male characters. Not sure why though. I just know there are some professions where the male looks horrible...warrior comes to mind. My main three characters are a female Ele, female Rit, and female Derv.

I didn't pick female for any particular reason. It was just how I decided to make them.

Alaris
09-07-2009, 16:52
I go for aesthetics...

There's a huge bias in games towards making females pretty, and males overly bulky or otherwise weird.

In WoW, I originally made a male Tauren Shaman. For those who don't know, Tauren are really cows walking on two legs... The female version had a straight posture, slimmer frame, while the male version had a curved hairy back, and a very tough frame.

The WoW Tauren is by far the biggest race you can play. But I deleted it... because it was so huge, I could not see what was in front of it. That, and also because I saw the hairy back, and I mostly didn't see the head. If I wanted to see a hairy back, I would... [insert joke here]

In GW, the sin comes closest to how I think males should look like. But I don't play sin, so that's that. Male necros are pretty cool too, and if not for the 10$ cost, I would play around with one... Male paragons are just disturbing. What I'm looking for is (1) athletic, not bulky, for melee-types, and (2) generally fitting the personality of the profession otherwise. The dance also is a factor.

In Diablo 2, I loved my necro. The looks were pretty cool. I'm not sure that I would have picked a female necro if I could have.

Girls are pretty. (...) males in gw look like absolute tools.

QFT.

The female characters in Guild Wars have a beautiful look (not sexually, rather they have nice designs like parts of the scenery do), and most of the male characters look rather ugly.

QFT.

bearsfwd
09-07-2009, 17:29
...The dance also is a factor...

Woo! Pelvic Thrusts anyone? *does warrior dance*

I have to agree, Alaris. I can't stand how bulky the warriors are, but the monks don't bother me (my monk doesn't even look like he has a neck :shocked:). Maybe the monks just look more natural, whereas the warriors look like they've been on 'roids since they were 5. I'm really not sure what its is.

Frons
09-07-2009, 18:05
I've actually thought about asking this question myself.

I'm a guy who plays female characters whenever possible. My favs in Diablo 2 were the Amazon and Assasin.

All female in GW as well.

If I'm going to be looking at the backside of a character for hours at a time, I'd much rather it be a cute girl than a buff guy.

Besides, no way can I see my character as extension of myself. Even with the makeover kit, I haven't been able to create a 56 yr old balding/overweight male warrior. :rolleyes:

Ringsgold
09-07-2009, 18:38
It really depends on which class my character will be, for example Assassins are cooler as females, but for necro I'd always choose male. It also changes per game for example I'd never make a male warrior in GW as they're fat and ugly but I would in AoC, because a male char fits the feeling of rawr warrior smash kill better, this feeling isn't there in GW. That and they're not fat and ugly in AoC.

Malhavoc Adhamar
09-07-2009, 19:14
This has to be a first. An epic thread res that isn't just a spamming necro poster. I think even the bunnies have gone into shock.

Anyway I usually always play a male character, mostly because I ask myself the age old question:

How the hellfire does dental floss protect you?

SibbTigre
09-07-2009, 19:18
I play female characters due to aesthetics. Most males (and some females) just don't look 'right'.

hurric
09-07-2009, 19:21
I only made male characters until I created a mesmer. He looked terrible. Then I decided to give female char a try and after that I only made female chars. I'm happy with my male chars except the ele because he looks terrible too but I'm not going to remake him.

Ambusher
09-07-2009, 19:22
got 5 males and made a female for a change
and its good to make female char to balance out the population
plus the female armor is 100X better than the male armor IMO

Aretelio
09-07-2009, 19:23
I'm completely off-the-wall. I'm a male who plays female characters with male names and male characters with female names....

...wrap your heads around that one!

The End.

SibbTigre
09-07-2009, 20:00
That's just fun though..

Смерть
09-07-2009, 20:01
I like playing "girls who are guys, who like guys to be girls, who..."1

---------------------

Seriously though, I play whoever I think has the best overall character creation and armor. Whether it be male or female.

Aretelio
09-07-2009, 21:08

I got it. :grin::wink: