PDA

View Full Version : About the requirements for GW..

Still-Xey-Lover
29-01-2005, 17:38
Hey i play Diablo and CS (tweaked like crap) and i was wondering if you think, with the lowest settings on GW, that i can play GW "alright". My comp: tnt2 vid card, 550 mhz processor, 256 ram. Thanks in advance..i really REALLY wanna play and i'm hoping to pre-order if my comp can handle it :). Also, is there any other way besides low settings to tweak GW.

khengoolman
29-01-2005, 18:04
Copied from Guild Wars website FAQ:
* Windows® XP/2000/ME/98
* Intel Pentium® III 800 Mhz or equivalent
* 256 MB RAM
* CD-ROM Drive
* 500 MB Available HDD Space
* ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM
* 16-bit Sound Card
* Internet connection
* Keyboard and mouse
which means that you will need a better cpu and graphics card, sorry

Still-Xey-Lover
29-01-2005, 20:02
Darn so i can't barely squish by with the lowest settings? Thanks..damn

Malverik
29-01-2005, 20:41
You are overdue for an upgrade if you wish to play games released since 2004

Still-Xey-Lover
29-01-2005, 21:29
Yup...can you reccomend any specific comps for gaming? Or is finding the specific parts and putting them together or paying someone to put em together better?

Soiled Egg Roll
29-01-2005, 21:48
I find that building computers yourself is less expensive. There is a risk in doing so, but if you have a friend who's done it before it shouldn't be too hard. Heck, even I have built a comp.

Malverik
29-01-2005, 22:21
Only thing about building your own computer is that you can only rely on the parts warranty so if there is anything wrong you have to figure out yourself what is causing it. Also there are some compatibility issues that you may not forsee.
But it sure cost a lot less, you know you're gonna have good machine and not a crap premade computer with an onboard graphic card :P

For good parts and reviews, look here: http://www.newegg.com/

Still-Xey-Lover
29-01-2005, 22:29
Thanks, my bro has done that before but i have tried just looking at what a customized 4700 dimension dell would be like. I gave it 2.8 gig processor, decent ATI vid card, the rest was standard or freebiee (512 ram free..catch?). It came out to $700 and that's pretty nice considering i get a whole comp, can upgrade it, free shipping. I did not get a new monitor/speakers though so i could just use my old ones (i don't mind). I might look in to buying it some time. I have just begun to start looking at buying a new comp.

Zvixo
29-01-2005, 23:22
I suggest readin some review sites for pc parts.
The buying guides on anandtech.com is are quite nice for instance.

Latest entry level guide (http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2316&p=1)

Malverik
30-01-2005, 00:17
Thanks, my bro has done that before but i have tried just looking at what a customized 4700 dimension dell would be like. I gave it 2.8 gig processor, decent ATI vid card, the rest was standard or freebiee (512 ram free..catch?). It came out to $700 and that's pretty nice considering i get a whole comp, can upgrade it, free shipping. I did not get a new monitor/speakers though so i could just use my old ones (i don't mind). I might look in to buying it some time. I have just begun to start looking at buying a new comp.

700$ is fair for a 2.8gHz with no monitor, if its a Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon. What ATI card did you pick?

Tarrant Rahl
30-01-2005, 02:22
Just the other day I tried to load up GW on a super old computer out of curiosity. P3 800 Mhz, 128 RAM, TNT vid card with 16 mb of memory ... it runs, albeit barely. I don't see a good half of the textures, and I average about 5 FPS just standing around town, but I was quite impressed that it loaded at all.

khengoolman
30-01-2005, 04:41
lol, a 9600 will do and its not expensive, although if you want your computer to last for years to come get a 6600gt, quality at a low price, for a cpu i suggest a 800FSB cpu with 2.4GHz +, or an athlon, those are just fine for gaming, and there's nothing wrong with building your own computer, it's really easy
then again if you're still wanting to buy a complete pc, there's a lot out there, expensive and pretty much non-upgradable or overclockable, and the warranty voids if u even open the case to clean it..., alien and compaq are two i know of, alien is more for gamers

Still-Xey-Lover
30-01-2005, 13:28
Sorry for not responding..i thought the thread was dead but i just checked in on it. Thanks for all the productive replies. I am still rather newb to buying/building computers but i am learning. I looked online at some parts a local somputer store has, a small one. And i saw a 3 GB Asus motherboard for $127. My bro bought an asus if i remember correctly and he has a decent comp, so i figure Asus is a good brand. Can anyone say if Asus is any good? 3 GB for $127 sounds nice to me ^^.

Still-Xey-Lover
30-01-2005, 15:34
There are lots of models for the K8T800 (the one mentioned above) and i think it's 800 mhz, not sure. The description for the one i looked at doesn't mention mhz/ghz.

RishiBoy
04-02-2005, 08:28
I got this for gaming, less than a month old:

- Athlon XP 2700+ (2.2Ghz)
- 768MB DDR Ram
- 80GB Hard Drive
- ATI All-In-Wonder 9800Pro 128MB AGP

Still-Xey-Lover
05-02-2005, 13:35
I got this for gaming, less than a month old:

- Athlon XP 2700+ (2.2Ghz)
- 768MB DDR Ram
- 80GB Hard Drive
- ATI All-In-Wonder 9800Pro 128MB AGP

How much did that cost you? I'd prob ditch the hard drive as i can use 20 gb fine. I dunno how much ram id want. How much did that cost you? And could you mention your mother board? :D thanks in advance.

HeavÅngel
05-02-2005, 19:01
Just the other day I tried to load up GW on a super old computer out of curiosity. P3 800 Mhz, 128 RAM, TNT vid card with 16 mb of memory ... it runs, albeit barely. I don't see a good half of the textures, and I average about 5 FPS just standing around town, but I was quite impressed that it loaded at all.
We tried it on a old laptop Toshiba.It loaded the game...The char was see through and lag city. Just thought we'd give it a shot.

Minelle Tempest
05-02-2005, 19:34
I have played during the BWE:s on my laptop, a Toshiba A10-S103... and it works, even though I have to use the lowest possible settings... :)

Well, well... haven't got the money to buy a new pc, so I guess I'll have to manage for now.