PDA

View Full Version : Snow

Fallen_62
22-02-2005, 06:34
How many people here live where it snows regularly? Any how many of those people just want to reach out and smack people when they are driving in said white stuff?

This weekend coming home from my gf's house, it was snowing harder than I have seen it snow in a long time. I mean, if i could see 1/4 of a mile in front of me, I was happy. It was snowing so hard that the snowplows couldnt keep the roads clear, even though each one only had like a 3-5 mile stretch. And here people are PASSING me (and others) in the fast lane. I was already going 55-ish, sometimes 60, and I thought that was plenty fast given the conditions. Yet I had people blowing past me and passing everything in sight.

I admit I passed a few people, but I did it on freshly plowed stretches, and I only did it becuase the people in front of me kept hitting their breaks (for those of you who have never driven in snow, hitting the breaks while it is snowing is bad). So, yes, I did pass people, but that was more for my safety than it was me wanting to get home faster.

Im just glad that I drove home and not my gf, cuz I woulda been goin crazy. The only people I trust to drive in weather like that are myself, my dad and my step-dad. My dad is a semi driver, so he drives for a living, and he has lived in this part of the country his hole life, so he knows how to drive in snow, and my step dad is a cop, so he is fully trained on how to drive (and drive fast in some cases) in the worst conditions. If anyone else is driving or around me on the highway, I go insane, becuase I dont trust them to not do something stupid.

Yea... so.. anyway... thanks for listening to my rant and if anyone has anything to add (like if this happens to you or you are one of the crazies who pass people or anything relevant to the topic) feel free to post it.

doublebubble
22-02-2005, 23:10
Yeah, up here in Maine, it snows a pretty good amount. Heh, I am 1 of those people that pass people when they drive slow :P I switch my truck ina 4wd, and bammo, if your slow, Ill pass you :clap:

~dB~

PointyStick
23-02-2005, 04:04
I live in Seattle. It snows about once a year, if that. And when it does people panic. They drive their cars to the shoulder and walk home. Or leave them in the middle of the street. They put on studded snow tires and leave them on for three or four months and dig grooves into the freeways. They brake, they swerve, they crash... it's a real mess. But it's fun to watch.

Guardian_Angel_MP
23-02-2005, 04:47
Snow is a way of life in Northern Minnesota where I go to school. We just got another 3 inches this last week (on top of the 2 to 3 feet we already have). The only day that I've gotten out of school for snow is when we got 34 inches in about 24 to 36 hours.

I am one of those people that pass in a snow storm, but only if I know I won't be surprised by on-coming traffic http://www.rpgforums.net/images/smilies/eek.gif
In fact, one time when I was going to visit my friend in Bemidji (about two hour drive) I had visibility of a couple miles for about a third of the trip, and then almost instantly I had a visability of about 300 yards (but I was still passing people, they were going 35 to 40 in a 55 and I wanted to go 63 http://www.rpgforums.net/images/smilies/evil.gif )

TBMarauder
23-02-2005, 17:47
Whoo-hoo! Snow, we love it, esp. the kids!! :D I live in a sleepy Surrey village, 20-odd miles South of London, England. We've been getting some snow hitting most of the country for the past few days, casuing problems all over (you know the Brits - wrong kind of leaves on the line, wrong shaped snowflakes etc!).

But my kids are loving it LARGE!!! Even got out to give 'em a hand making snowballs for the first time with them, till they battered me with 'em! lol!

SpineyNorman
23-02-2005, 19:52
I used to live in central Minnesota. (I mean very central--if you open a two page atlas of MN, you will have to spread the crack in the pages to see the town I lived near) I had a much easier time with other drivers there when it snowed than I do here in Indiana. I think where it snows regularly, people get used to it (after the the first snow of the year). Down here, they're crazy every time it snows. Of course, that might be because it is just as likely as not to melt and then snow again a few days later. Too, however, in Minnesota there was rarely freezing rain. Here, it happens quite a bit. And sometimes it's the nasty kind that hits the ground, hangs around a while to form up a nice wet layer, and then freezes so the surface is nice and smooth.

Fallen_62
23-02-2005, 20:32
I used to live in central Minnesota. (I mean very central--if you open a two page atlas of MN, you will have to spread the crack in the pages to see the town I lived near) I had a much easier time with other drivers there when it snowed than I do here in Indiana. I think where it snows regularly, people get used to it (after the the first snow of the year). Down here, they're crazy every time it snows. Of course, that might be because it is just as likely as not to melt and then snow again a few days later. Too, however, in Minnesota there was rarely freezing rain. Here, it happens quite a bit. And sometimes it's the nasty kind that hits the ground, hangs around a while to form up a nice wet layer, and then freezes so the surface is nice and smooth.

I visit my dad in Indiana and I have noticed that. As I was leaving for home one day it started to rain and then freeze. Wasnt nice.

Back on subject... I pass people when it snows, dont get me wrong. And I was going a good 60 mph in a 65 when it wasnt that bad, but still not good conditions. As soon as the visibility dropped, i dropped it to 50 mph-ish. Usually i would have passed more, but I always hate hitting that part of slush and snow in the middle of the road that is always there and tries to throw your car all over the place. Went in the ditch because of that once... wasnt cool :P

BP-HaWK90
01-03-2005, 02:36
Yeah the mid-west is getting screwed on snow. Every year down here in good old St. Louis, Missouri we used to get at least 5 snow days. But not this year, we got stuck with freezing rain, sleet and that disgusting looking brown snow you see on the roads. We have not had one snow day all year and if we don't get one before spring I'm gonna kill the weatherman :D . I think it has snowed here about 4 times and the snow only lasts one day.

Harmless
01-03-2005, 03:06
It snowed here in 93. http://www.rpgforums.net/images/smilies/innocent.gif

Kirellii
01-03-2005, 04:13
December 24th 1989 when it last snowed here.

I drove from Florida 713 miles to Houston at a top speed of about 35 miles per hour in the snowstorm. At first it was by choice to drive slow, then I sped up trying to head for the beach and what I thought was dry pavement (black ice from ice storm). After tapping the brakes at the wrong time and spinning down the road with my back pinned to the door until the wheels stopped me against the curb and sparks were flying all around.... Well from then on with the wheels so far out of alignment and the steering wheel all bent up - the next 650 miles or so were slower as the car wouldn't go faster.

I only spun about 3 or 4 times around before I got dizzy and couldn't budge anyhow - so I guess it could have been worse. I still remember the eyes of my passenger pinned to the other door as we spun round and round.

It cost less than 100 dollars to "fix" everything too - what a deal! They were more interested in how I knocked only 2 wheels on the right side so far out of alignment and what exactly did happen to the steering wheel to bend it so...

Good Times : ) (reminds me of the trip (as a passenger) through the Tropical Storm in a Cesna and landing in said storm - but that is another story)

DrizzitT
01-03-2005, 06:02
It doesnt snow in Cali... But i know what your talking about... cept it happens in the rain here. Sad... what we get for being spoiled

SojakFA
01-03-2005, 06:12
Snowing here in Ohio right now. The drive tomorrow is NOT going to be fun.

That blizzard we got after christmas really sucked. Idiots in SUV's were going way over the speed limit just passing everybody. I quietly hope they all get into non-lethal wrecks so they will learn they are not invincible.

HeavÅngel
02-03-2005, 16:48
Try living in Alaska. I have Family in Fairbanks.

Soup Erman
03-03-2005, 04:46
poor guys, its still summer here :p Shouldn't snow for another 4 or 5 months yet...

lostchyld
03-03-2005, 06:22
poor guys, its still summer here :p Shouldn't snow for another 4 or 5 months yet...

Don't gloat, it's not polite.

Incidentally, South Dakota is still in a drought, I think. We've only gotten a couple feet of snow all season. I think the farmer's are really worried about whether or not they're gonna have crops or insurance money this fall.

Guardian_Angel_MP
03-03-2005, 15:07
I'd give you some of our snow up here in Duluth, we've had probably 3-5 feet over the course of the winter (an a lot of it is still on the ground).