PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if I will be able to run Guild Wars

SkarjakTheFoul
03-03-2005, 16:55
Hello guys.

I just have a question. The official site says the minimum RAM is 256, which I have. But, I wonder if at 256 RAM, the game will just "run". Can I get a good gaming experience with 256? Will I still be able to enter guild battles?

As a reference, i can play Unreal Tournament 2004 in medium quality in 24 player games without any lag at all.

Also, will my GeForce 5600 be enough?

TBMarauder
03-03-2005, 17:12
Hello guys.

I just have a question. The official site says the minimum RAM is 256, which I have. But, I wonder if at 256 RAM, the game will just "run". Can I get a good gaming experience with 256? Will I still be able to enter guild battles?

As a reference, i can play Unreal Tournament 2004 in medium quality in 24 player games without any lag at all.

Also, will my GeForce 5600 be enough?
Printed on the bottom of my Pre-Order box: -

Minimum Spec:
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Pentium III 800 Mhz or equivalent
256 MB RAM
500 MB Available HDD space
ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series with 32 MB RAM
16-Bit Sound Card/Chip

Recommended Spec:
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Pentium III 1 Ghz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
500 MB Available HDD space
ATI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series with 64 MB RAM
16-Bit Sound Card/Chip

So, in answer, I would say yes, the game would 'just' run.

I would recommend, however, to get a 'good gaming experience', I would invest in a better graphics card and some more RAM.

If, on the other hand, you are satisfied with what your machine has been able to achieve thus far, without suffering by 'losing-out' on some of what the game has to offer in the 'eye candy' department, keep your money in your pocket.

As to whether you will be able to enter 'guild battles' or not, I would suggest a tentative 'yes', but you really would have to try this out yourself (maybe at the next BWE?), bearing in mind that PvE would put more 'strain' on your existing system than a smaller 'instanced' area of a GvG arena.

Other considerations though, such as internet connection, CPU speed, and even the amount of available HDD space (sometimes needed as a 'swap file' when your RAM is 'full'), should be 'factored in'.
Hope that helps. :)

SkarjakTheFoul
03-03-2005, 23:41
Thanks, that did help.

My reasoning is that if I can run 24 people games of UT2k4 in medium quality with my computer, I should at least be able to run anything in Guild Wars at the lowest quality.

This summer, I'll use all the money I will get from my summer job to get the best possible gaming computer I can have, which I will build myself. Complete with 1 gig of RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra, ect, ect, ect.

I just wanted to know if I could play the game for a few months at least. It's gonna be worth the wait.:)

TBMarauder
04-03-2005, 00:40
This summer, I'll use all the money I will get from my summer job to get the best possible gaming computer I can have, which I will build myself. Complete with 1 gig of RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra, ect, ect, ect.

I just wanted to know if I could play the game for a few months at least. It's gonna be worth the wait.:)

It'll be well worth the wait, bro! :) Have fun when you 'get there'.

BTW, here's my custom-built specs, which I paid 680.00 vat incl. for in December, 2004.

Case : Antec SX630 II MT
Mainboard : MSI K8N Neo Platinum Edition (Socket 754)
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 754)
RAM : Kingston 2x512MB 400MHz (ran in dual mode)
Graphics Card : ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB Ram
CD-RW/DVD+RW Optical Combi-drive
3 x 80 GB IDE HDD
Running XP Pro SP2

Might give you an idea of how much to shell-out. Sorry I only got UK a price.

SkarjakTheFoul
04-03-2005, 15:16
My computer will cost about 2000$, since I'm building it from the ground up. So I have to include costs of the monitor, power supply, ect.

Ratix0
04-03-2005, 15:24
Yes. I'm using 256MB SD Ram. It will lag when the match starts, when new polygons load and new textures/effects load. But after the PvP match start for a while, the lag shouldn't be there, and only minor choppiness when you rotate.

bonesrool
07-03-2005, 11:24
I'm running a HP pavilion 521a
1.3ghz celeron <socket370>
384 mb sd100 ram<yep!sd100, it's about 5+ yrs old>
Radeon 9200se w/128mb ram
Onboard i810 chipset with ac97 audio

Jan bwe- this rig ran just fine, feb bwe- It was ok too, except it lagged like mad, but not all the time.
IMO - It's a base entry machine.

But it will have to do until july...then I might get something more up to date. <AMD 64 939 heaven>.
;-p

Dienekes
08-03-2005, 18:28
Thanks, that did help.

My reasoning is that if I can run 24 people games of UT2k4 in medium quality with my computer, I should at least be able to run anything in Guild Wars at the lowest quality.

If you can play UT2004 on medium you should have no problems running GW on a medium setting to posibly high settings. UT2k4 isnt the best/most efficient graphics engine and the one GW uses seems to be better at running at high fps, I guess its just coded better as its a new game engine and UT has been adapted from older versions.