PDA

View Full Version : Microphone on MSN Messenger

Nim
07-03-2005, 00:56
My friend and I were trying to get a voice chat going on MSN Messenger for a game. The problem is that I couldn't get connected to his computer. I figure it has to do with my router and I would need to open up ports so I can use the microphone. So I looked at the MSN website but I couldn't find anything.

Anybody know if there are certain settings you have to put in to enable your mic to work?

lostchyld
07-03-2005, 05:51
Are you both using the MSN messenger client? and are those clients the same version. Microsoft is notorious for extreme compatibility issues. I have to load the microsoft client to use voice chat, video chat, or file transfers. Normally I use a client called Trillian.

Nim
07-03-2005, 05:55
Are you both using the MSN messenger client? and are those clients the same version. Microsoft is notorious for extreme compatibility issues. I have to load the microsoft client to use voice chat, video chat, or file transfers. Normally I use a client called Trillian.
Hmm, that could very well be the problem. We're both using MSN Messenger, but I have a different version.

I'll see if that works, thanks.

UndeadBehlial
07-03-2005, 06:17
or you can always use TeamSpeak. Here (http://dii.gwonline.net/ts.html) is Xircon's guide to basic installation. If you want to talk with more than just one person, this is the way to go. Cant help with MSN though, but if you want to go AIM, just test turning off firewalls if it does not connect.

Nim
08-03-2005, 01:33
I tried it out with the same version, but I still get the same problem :(

TBMarauder
08-03-2005, 01:42
or you can always use TeamSpeak. Here (http://dii.gwonline.net/ts.html) is Xircon's guide to basic installation. If you want to talk with more than just one person, this is the way to go.
I'd go the 'TS' way, bro. That, or 'Ventrilo'. 'TeamSpeak' IS free though, and very easy to setup a server or even join a free one.
Unlike with MSN, 'TS'/'Vent' both have 'Press-To-Talk' capability functions (allowing you to assign a 'hotkey' to press, whenever you want to transmit speech). Google for Teamspeak, and read up on it.

Nim
08-03-2005, 01:50
I'd go the 'TS' way, bro. That, or 'Ventrilo'. 'TeamSpeak' IS free though, and very easy to setup a server or even join a free one.
Unlike with MSN, 'TS'/'Vent' both have 'Press-To-Talk' capability functions (allowing you to assign a 'hotkey' to press, whenever you want to transmit speech). Google for Teamspeak, and read up on it.
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I just find it odd that I can't get Messenger to work. I'll give teamspeak a shot and hopefully it'll work out.

Nim
08-03-2005, 03:44
Ok, I tried out Teamspeak and everything works perfectly. Very nice program.

Thanks for the suggestion.