PDA

View Full Version : A slight problem with the release of GW

Vexion
09-03-2005, 03:52
Well, parents can be a blessing and a curse... As of now, mine are more of a burden than of any help. With the SAT coming up in June my parents decided to restict my playing and purchase of video games until the end of May. Unfortunately as many of you have already realized, Guild Wars is released in April. Does anyone have any ideas on how to convince my parents into allowing me to buy Guild Wars? I really need help...

Kirellii
09-03-2005, 04:48
Well, parents can be a blessing and a curse... As of now, mine are more of a burden than of any help. With the SAT coming up in June my parents decided to restict my playing and purchase of video games until the end of May. Unfortunately as many of you have already realized, Guild Wars is released in April. Does anyone have any ideas on how to convince my parents into allowing me to buy Guild Wars? I really need help...

Just tell your parents that you respect their decision and that as long as you live in their house, you will obey their rules.

Additionally, tell them that you understand the importance of the SAT and that you will do your best to make them proud and minimize the financial burden upon them by making yourself have a better chance at scholarships.

It is also fair to say that they will in turn go along with your decisions when you have to make the tough decisions on which Assisted Living Facility or Nursing Home to place them in when they can no longer perform their activities of daily living.

This is a wonderful time you are about to experience as you leave the safety of your home to become an adult. Cherish each moment and good luck. Remember - the choice you make about a fraternity or sorority in college IS NOT the most important decisions you will make in life.

The stance you take and follow through with on such issues as:

Drugs
Right to Life
Dying with Dignity
Marriage
Friendship

will follow you throughout your life.

Ethics and Morals and such are interesting things in that as you go through life you will have opportunities to compromise and the list of things you have never done will shrink. For instance, at one time I could say I would never run a red light in a car, and through carelessness bad weather and poor judgement this is no longer the case. Some of them have been while I had a raging fever, but it is a failure to follow through nonetheless. Values will always define who you are above all else.

Start now and show your parents you value and respect them. They will not always be there later. In fact, make them feel special by including them in your studies for the SAT. If they indeed care about them to the degree you suggest, then they will want to help.

For me, I took it in 10th grade and then did not need to take it again in 11th or 12th. I found that a good nights sleep and a solid breakfast along with practice tests worked wonders. Mostly, you cannot change what you have learned up to this point. Cramming will not work, but practicing will. Watch those bubbles and fill in the right one, don't accidentally skip and put all your answers one number off.

Good Luck and my your Skill Provide.

Glenn_Irving
09-03-2005, 07:08
Your screwed.

Green_Opiate
09-03-2005, 07:10
Change the date you take the test to like April 26th :p

Really its not that bad. Just make sure you sleep well the night before, stay focused during the test, and take advantage of bathroom break opportunities.

Like Kirelli said, all you can really do is practice. And it is a good suggestion to try to get your parents involved with your practicing. It'll make them feel good to be involved, and theyll probably think higher of your abilities. And who knows, some other good may come of that...;)

bonesrool
09-03-2005, 09:03
I'm in Australia...what's SAT?

Don't say the day before SUN...or the day after FRI, either...ok...lol

;-p

aya pe 001
09-03-2005, 10:06
I'm in Australia...what's SAT?

Don't say the day before SUN...or the day after FRI, either...ok...lol

;-p

SAT is Satans Apditute Test for kiddies

Bonez6x3
09-03-2005, 11:32
Just tell them, if you have been studing, that you need a break every now and then. When I took them, the first time my parents where expecting me to study and put way more pressure on me. The night before I kept seeing answers flying through my head and then would see one of my parents telling me no that is not the right answer. Lets just say I bombed it pretty well that first time. The next time a week before I had to take it again I went to stay with a friend. I did a lot better and explained what happened and why I did what I did. They are your parents. They just want what is best for you. Just remind them, if you have do well in school, that you know how to study for test and are good at taking them. Or if you really want to make sure you can do it, try to find out what they scored and if one of your practice tests are higher, blackmail them. But I might stay away from that last step.

SAT's stand for Scholastic Aptitude Test and then the Scholastic Assessment Test.

Hurin66
09-03-2005, 20:55
umm yeah id say ur screwed,

by screwed i mean that u could conceivle get the game, but it seems both choices are highly negative.

in this case not having guild wars is probably a good idea though, i mean it will probably lower your sat score, lol.

Perfidia
09-03-2005, 22:43
Wow... you are defiantly in a bind here...

Maybe try putting limits on your computer use, and telling them about this. Maybe only play for a few times a week, and for a certain time during weekends. If you start this now, maybe they will be more apt to allow you to buy the game because you won't let it interfere with your normal life. Even if you don't get the game you will waste your time somehow, if you can keep that wasted time under control, maybe they will understand and allow you to buy it.

lostchyld
09-03-2005, 23:29
If they're restricting your gameplay as well as your game purchase, what's the problem? If you preordered and the order is void after a certain amount of time after release, you could request that your parents pick up the game and hold it for you until after the test. Otherwise, the game will still be there when the restriction is lifted and you are allowed to play.

Another thing to do is ask them to set a timer. An hour and a half of study earns say a half hour of gameplay. If they're hesitant to agree to that, request that they have a test run while the test itself is still a ways away. If the agreement is followed responsibly, without complaint, I don't see why they would have a problem with it.

The idea is to prove to your parents that you recognize and agree that the test is important, but that you also feel that gaming is a part of your life that helps you relax. No slight intended by this, but they obviously don't feel that you are responsible enough to balance schoolwork, studying for the SAT, and your desire to game. I'd say they've just given you an opportunity to prove something to them. Negotiate a little, but be ready to back off if they say "no". And don't worry too much about not being able to play, the game will still be around in June.

Good Luck

Vexion
11-03-2005, 01:49
Well thanks for all of the suggestions. That's great advice Kirellii, probably something I won't forget. Maybe waiting on Guild Wars is a good idea, getting a bad SAT score could certainly change my life... although some may disagree on the waiting for Guild Wars part.

Salil
13-03-2005, 02:01
Play on your parents' weak spot.
Tell them that you're the only one in your class who is treated this way.
Convince them that not playing GW will make you study worse, because you keep thinking about GW and buying GW would satisfy those needs.
Crying always helps a great deal (seriously)
Tell them that so far you've managed to do well in school without their help or schedules

just a few things I'd try out :)

MistressRaven2889
13-03-2005, 20:49

I have the same problem with my parents sometimes, but everyone knows that video games are much less important than school, especially the SATs. That test will determine your future, not this game. Therefore I suggest you use your time studying for that test instead of using it to persuade your parents to think otherwise. Trust me they won't. They know best.

MistressRaven2889
13-03-2005, 20:50
Play on your parents' weak spot.
Tell them that you're the only one in your class who is treated this way.
Convince them that not playing GW will make you study worse, because you keep thinking about GW and buying GW would satisfy those needs.
Crying always helps a great deal (seriously)
Tell them that so far you've managed to do well in school without their help or schedules

just a few things I'd try out :)

I'm adopted and these tactics don't work hehehe :)

MooMooFarm
15-03-2005, 10:21
It is also fair to say that they will in turn go along with your decisions when you have to make the tough decisions on which Assisted Living Facility or Nursing Home to place them in when they can no longer perform their activities of daily living.

Hidden Message: If your parents are poor, do the "You screw me when I'm young, I'm putting you in a shack when your old" blackmail.