PDA

View Full Version : Question: sync'ing 2 PC's

Hadus Hawthorne
14-03-2005, 23:27
Just a quick question that perhaps a few of you have run into before.

My kids are getting older and their PC recently took a dump.
It was old and we knew it was time to bury it so don't cry, please.
I decided to replace it with a laptop the whole family can enjoy. With that we added wireless networking so the laptop can go wherever it's needed. We didn't skimp much, although it's not top of the line, and it should be capable of running GW no problem. My question is:

If I find my kids on the desktop one day and decide to play GW on the laptop....how hard will it be to keep the GW folder and files current? Likewise, the next time after that session....how hard will it be to keep the desktop up to date?

Realizing that each time I play the folder (directory) gets updated with items, armor, map...blah, blah, blah....will I need to copy the directory to the opposite PC each time before playing or what? Does anyone else have a similar situation now or in the past?

I have always gamed on just the "main" PC but now the family will be sharing 2.

Feedback anyone? Thanks in advance......

Hadus Hawthorne

Kirellii
14-03-2005, 23:37
Just a quick question that perhaps a few of you have run into before.

My kids are getting older and their PC recently took a dump.
It was old and we knew it was time to bury it so don't cry, please.
I decided to replace it with a laptop the whole family can enjoy. With that we added wireless networking so the laptop can go wherever it's needed. We didn't skimp much, although it's not top of the line, and it should be capable of running GW no problem. My question is:

If I find my kids on the desktop on day and decide to play GW on the laptop....how hard will it be to keep the GW folder and files current? Likewise, the next time after that session....how hard will it be to keep the desktop up to date?

Realizing that each time I play the folder (directory) gets updated with items, armor, map...blah, blah, blah....will I need to copy the directory to the opposite PC each time before playing or what? Does anyone else have a similar situation now or in the past?

I have always gamed on just the "main" PC but now the family will be sharing 2.

Feedback anyone? Thanks in advance......

Hadus Hawthorne

All your character items and stats are stored on the server. Also, everywhere your character has been is on the server.

So - all you have to deal with is the download time when you go to an area next that is out of synch date/timestamp or is not on the computer/laptop yet. In other words - don't sweat it.

Oh and if you delete the GW local database file and reinstall which I have done 4 times to test this feature - I hope you have broadband. On a 56K dialup - be prepared to play all day while it tries to catch up. (seriously - 11 hours to download the first 100 MB is not out of character on a 56K) Once you get in the game - it then has to download all the areas again as you reach them... so hop around and synch up if you got broadband. I am seriously thinking of using a thumbdrive to transfer the local database file between computers when I go from broadband to 56K.

I have hopped between three desktops and a laptop as needed so far and the only thing is remembering the usercode and password and coordinating with others that want to use the computers too.

Just play. I would be more concerned about using the autodetect and turning down the eye and ear candy to make the laptop run smooth. I have found that GW like other games does heat up a laptop and if you use a wireless card instead of built in wireless, there is no thermometer to safeguard the card from overheating. Don't burn cards. External USB Wireless is better from a heat standpoint.

Boanergese
14-03-2005, 23:38
The items for your characters are stored on Arenanet's servers so it doesn't matter which computer you play from. Its based on your login. When you play on the laptop or desktop, each time you log into the game it searches what files you have and updates you to the latest build. It will download the needed files and you play. So it shouldn't be a big deal on which computer you play on.

Hadus Hawthorne
15-03-2005, 00:09
Great to hear!! Thanks for techno update. I'm looking forward to playing on the laptop actually. I think it'll run pretty darn good on it and taking it out on the deck or down to the table will be a bonus especially when the wife is trying to get some sleep.... :eek:

Hehe

Hi Hooooo Silver!!

Hadus

Dienekes
15-03-2005, 01:07
just copy the GW.dat file from your desktop machine to your laptop and the laptop will be fully updated to where you were last on your desktop. I use this to keep my girlfriends GW file upto date.

Excel
15-03-2005, 07:03
just copy the GW.dat file from your desktop machine to your laptop and the laptop will be fully updated to where you were last on your desktop. I use this to keep my girlfriends GW file upto date.

Yep I also did that when I reformatted my HD to avoid any unneccesary download times...