PDA

View Full Version : Fiction Writing - Your character in print!

LordBrand
21-03-2005, 22:03
This is your chance to have your character inserted into a literary format. I will be writing a story (probably in the 50-150 page region, maybe more if the story is going well) based in the world of Tyria. The general storyline will follow the co-op mission timeline, but I will add a whole lot more dramatization.

In my mind, the spirit of the game is teamwork, be it in the PvP arenas, or in the PvE massive world. So with that idea in tow, I want to make this story a team effort. I would like to have some characters for the story, and ideally these would be characters that are actually around in the game. So I'm calling for volunteers for people who would like to see their characters in the story. Nothing after your initial submission will be required, although it would be nice to set up staged screenshots for some in-story illustrations. Guilds may be mentioned as well, so it could be free publicity for your guild.

I may post a chapter at a time, or I may wait until more is written, but you will see it written soon enough.

Guidelines:
1. I will require a name, gender, personality traits, description (screenshots are acceptable if you have this character made), any habits or other things you would really like to see displayed about this character that would be pretty defining, and ideally a background behind the character. Backgrounds give me things the character can refer to or other points of reference that help lend depth to the character.

2. The characters can be all shapes, sizes, and personalities. I'm not looking for 20 knights in shining armor who are the embodiments of nobility or paramounts at whatever it is they do. If that's your character, by all means. If not, give me something else. I have no demands. However you describe your character is what I will use for my story-based character.

3. If you provide a guild reference, I will need to know the name of the guild, about where you would see your guild hall (were it actually in a zone on the map.... use your imagination), and some of the ideals of your guild (or at least the ideals you would like portrayed in the text). Your guild stands a better chance of being mentioned specifically if multiple members of your guild submit characters... That gives me more than just one face for the guild with a thousand other members lurking in the shadows.

4. I will use every character concept sent to me (provided it is at least moderately appropriate). However, I will determine the role that character will play. It may be one of the leading characters, it may be an antagonist (yes, I would love to see a good villain, ideally somebody with a personality that is a foil to the hero's). However, if your don't provide me with a whole lot of depth, then you may get a very bit role. Even if you do provide me with a lot of depth, I don't have room for the game of thrones (series of books with thousands of characters)... My story won't be long enough to create full fleshed personalities of 100 characters. However, your submissions will all be mentioned by name (as appropriate).

5. You also acknowledge that once you turn this character concept over to me, I can do whatever I like with it (in-so-far as this story goes). This is a non-profit venture, so I'm not securing any legal rights or anything like that. However, as author, I have final say on how your character behaves in my story. I don't want to receive emails whining that your character would never have done this, or would do that. The best way to make sure your character behaves in a manner that you like would be to provide me extensive details on your character... I will try to honor the characters described to me in the submission process. However, what I do with them in story is at my discretion.

An example submission would look something like this:

Name: Alyana Silverspear
Personality: Somewhat shy and unsure of herself, but developing self-confidence. Friendly, loyal completely to her friends. She begins completely against violence, but comes to realize that sometimes it is the only way to protect that which you love. She has almost gritty determination to go at things that scare her.
Description: She is small (barely 5 feet tall) with light golden hair pulled up high on her head, which has tattoes common to monks. She tends to wear flowing clothing, but she is very obviously a healer.
Habits: She constantly second-guesses herself.
Background: Alyana grew up in Ascalon (etc, you guys can guess how background will go).

Anyways, to ensure the best chance of getting in the story, EMAIL ME your concepts at gw@lordbrand.com or gte687v@prism.gatech.edu. Posting them here as replies doesn't exclude your chances, but it makes it easy for people to copy cool things about your characters. I also consider emails more frequently then I check this forum. As I write it, I will either submit it here to be seen, or host it myself, whichever looks like it would work better.

Anyways, hope to hear from you all soon!

LordBrand
21-03-2005, 23:03
Oh, and obviously if you have any questions at all, feel free to post those here. After all, if other people have the same questions you could save everybody the trouble.

ejxits
21-03-2005, 23:36
First of all, I think this is a really good idea, it allows for some creativity concerning the game and is also very entertaining. The following is a real character I have: (I have also included the skills my character uses.)

Name: Frozzen Fire
Personality: When not angered, he is very strategic and likes to plan out a battle and also likes to be in charge, may get angry if someone contests one of his ideas. Enjoys battling, has some sense of humor, especially when others make jokes. When not in a battle he becomes more quiet and is somewhat unsure of how to handle himself around people.
Habits: When someone makes an error that could have been prevented, he will not hesitate to criticize and generally self degrade that person. When enraged, he will not think about what he is doing before charging into battle and may get killed easily. After getting killed once will "cool down." Does not happen extraordinarily often.

Skills: (mostly used to do damage over an area, knockdown, and set on fire. Runs out of energy prolonged battle.) Extremely powerful damage dealing caster in general.
Set on Fire and damage over an area:
Incendiary bonds (use on running foes.)
Searing Heat
Rodgorts Invocation
Fire Storm (not set on fire)
Single foe spells:
Flare
Fireball
Pheonix (close ranges as well as far)
Knockdown and damage over time:
Meteor Shower

Background: One of the people from Orr who was traveling abroad when it was destroyed. No idea what happened to Orr. He had a small amount of military training but he didn't get very far until Ascalon was burned to the ground.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the pictures to work, they will come soon.

ejxits
21-03-2005, 23:58
any suggestions? I emailed u the pictures.

Jack Blade
22-03-2005, 00:35
This sounds like fun :)

Name: Jakie Blade
Personality Traits: She is a very out-going person. She will do the assigned task, and will always be willing for more. Although... she is very self-centered, and thinks nothing about others.
Description: She is fairly tall, at 5'8, with brown hair and a very sharp face.
Photo (http://maj.com/gallery/Martian/GuildWars/gw100.bmp)
Background: Jackie came from a land far from tyria. Her heritage is unknown to most, so her habits seem uncanny to the lands inhabitants.
She was sent to tyria, after she inlisted in a guild, the Grey warriors of Oblivion(GWO)*, she was givin a task. On her way to tyria, her boat was attacked by another guild, killing off the rest of her guild-mates, and leaving her stranded in the ocean.
She remains in tyria, until she can obtain enougth gold to purchase a boat, and return home. Until then, she does quests with a party she met in ascalon city, before the charr invasion. Although, she is very distant from them.

*The GWO in my guild really refers to Guild Wars Online guild, so, im not too sure if the name would have suited the story.

JB

ejxits
22-03-2005, 00:49
nice character, Jackie. Anyone else?

And Lord Brand, please inform me of any changes/updates on how your story is coming. Can't wait to hear it.

LordBrand
22-03-2005, 01:25
nice character, Jackie. Anyone else?

And Lord Brand, please inform me of any changes/updates on how your story is coming. Can't wait to hear it.

Well, a good story won't appear instantly, however I've already got a basic draft going of it... Just need a bit more fill-in.

Also, can you host the pictures and send me a link or shrink them down? They overloaded my lb.com email and put me over quota on my school email. Or you could post them here.

ejxits
22-03-2005, 01:43
Well, a good story won't appear instantly, however I've already got a basic draft going of it... Just need a bit more fill-in.

Also, can you host the pictures and send me a link or shrink them down? They overloaded my lb.com email and put me over quota on my school email. Or you could post them here.

:O sorry about that, I'll post the link again:

add www. to the start (not allowed to directly link to a site.)

geocities.com/ejxits/index.htm

unfortunately, I exceeded my maximum data transfer but it will be up within the hour. (By the way, Frozzen Fire is still looking to get his hands on Masters torso armor and leggings, he only has starter armor for thos currently and is therefore very weak.)

LeelaS
22-03-2005, 07:25
Name: Leela Si
Personality: She is a great all around person who likes to play every position. Leela can be a litlle cocky sometimes but she will continue to make the group laugh and still have fun. Leela is well known for her sniping capabilities that she uses all the time, it also gives her time to make people laugh while killing enemy units. Somewhat shy and unsure of herself, but developing self-confidence. Friendly, loyal completely to her friends. She begins completely against violence, but comes to realize that sometimes it is the only way to protect that which you love.
Habits: When someone makes an error that could have been prevented, she will comfort the person and then tell them what they did wrong and next time try to not make the same mistake.

Skills: (mostly used to do damage over a great distance.) Extremely powerful damage dealing archer.
Primary Proffesion:
Favorable Winds
Barage
Precision Shot
Pin Down
Anything To Heal Herself
Secondary Proffesion:
Fire Storm
Meteor Shower
Other:
Resurection Signet

Background: She was born in the forest and was raised by elves. After her 16 birthday, she was left alone on ascalons doorstep and never saw her true up bringers again. After the searing she swore revenge on the Charr for they had destroyed her entire familiy, which she finds out after beating the charr invasion army.

http://img175.exs.cx/img175/7452/gw6ml.th.jpg (http://img175.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img175&image=gw6ml.jpg)

LordBrand
22-03-2005, 19:55
Just so those of you who have submitted know, I have the following characters:

Frozzen Fire
Ezequiel Koutras
Leela Si
The Von Perts
Jakie Blade
Mira Tiras
Navel.

I have parts for all of these characters in the story. However, a lot of the characters had very similar personalities, so I may need to change it slightly here and there. I'll let you know if I intend to do anything that isn't how you wrote your character's personality.

I could also go for a few more if anybody else wants to participate. I'm about 10 pages in right now (typed via word, single spaced) and the story is panning out before me. I'm hoping to have a rough draft done by this weekend, and then I'll begin the revision process. So, hurry now and get your characters in. Our heroes have just now gotten to the academy, so there's still a lot of love to go around.

ejxits
22-03-2005, 21:33
Just so those of you who have submitted know, I have the following characters:

Frozzen Fire
Ezequiel Koutras
Leela Si
The Von Perts
Jakie Blade
Mira Tiras
Navel.

I have parts for all of these characters in the story. However, a lot of the characters had very similar personalities, so I may need to change it slightly here and there. I'll let you know if I intend to do anything that isn't how you wrote your character's personality.

I could also go for a few more if anybody else wants to participate. I'm about 10 pages in right now (typed via word, single spaced) and the story is panning out before me. I'm hoping to have a rough draft done by this weekend, and then I'll begin the revision process. So, hurry now and get your characters in. Our heroes have just now gotten to the academy, so there's still a lot of love to go around.

Fantastic!! Could you please list the protagonists and the antagonists. Also if you could list the characters and their personalities, that way people can change their character's personality and make sure it doesn't copy someone else's when changing it. Keep me updated. :)

ejxits
22-03-2005, 21:44
Sorry, double post

REI ONRYOU
23-03-2005, 16:16
If you really want a Warrior, PM me. Currently I'm redesigning my build so the skills aren't fully decided yet.

p0rn
23-03-2005, 18:17
Name: Sotha Sil
Personality: Cold, quite, and calculating are some words that have been used to describe him, but once in the heat of battle a blood lust emerges from within with such ferociousness, that some say he only lives when there is war. An enigma, no one person can claim to know what drives him or what he is searching for.
Description: Tall and slender, wearing black and grey armor, stained with the blood of his enemies. Sharp facial features, brown/grey skin and snow white hair.
Habits: When no in battle, he seldom speaks.
Background: If Sotha Sil has had one constant companion throughout his travels, it's been death itself. He moves from war to war, through ravaged towns and dead cities, he follows misery like a wolf hunting it's prey. No one knows what drives him, what he is looking for in the rubble, some say he's looking for a powerful artifact, some that he is looking for a worthy opponent to spill his blood, while still other say he is simply looking to die. No one knows since the only company he keeps is the dead, and when traveling with others the only words that slip past his lips are quick and quite orders or the roar of his battle cry. His mastery of blood magic, swords, and tactics make him a force to be reckoned with. Sound strategy and an unmatchable thirst for blood allow Sotha Sil and those who have chosen to ally themselves with him to achieve victor no matter the odds.

Note to author: you can do anything you want with him, but I thought I should just say although while he isn't entirely good, he isn't entirely bad. He is only concerned with his own agenda, so if something he does is precieved as good or bad it really doesn't matter to him since he just did it in his own interests.

ejxits
23-03-2005, 22:28
just tell us when u have enough characters. I have an interesting Mo/N if you are intersted.

Penelope
24-03-2005, 04:47
Name: Penelope Greywolf
Personality: She likes animals, training them, she has more of a social life with animals then with poeple so for her being in a team is hard because she cant really express herself right. Too much people scare her. Thats why she avoids crowded areas. She doesnt like poeple bullying others, she thinks its immature and stupid. She has a great sense of justice and sometimes might use it in the extreme ways.. exemple... someone is bullying a farmer... She might just take that bulyer and shove his face in....But she likes just to sit around and see how many creatures she can charm, she loves nature and cherish is. As a ranger/elementalist, she choose that making justice and liberty prevail is her way of life.
Description: 5'7, shoulder lenght brown hair with some brains in them.., dark eyes. likes to wear red. Everything on her must be red.
Habits: chews her finger nails;) nah I', kidding, Shehas a bad sense of orientation.. She is trainign to be a ranger.. you dont want her in your team if you dont know where you are going, she is forgetful but doesnt do i on purpose.
Background: grew up in the Regent Valey, teasing the grawls

Mystiak
24-03-2005, 06:03
Name: Frostiana Skorche-~Frost-ee-ah-n-ah~~~Ss-k-or-sh-ah~-

Personality: Frostiana has an inner urge to help anyone that she can. She feels a shame for the powers that she posesses though. She is shy to display that they even exist but is quick to use them when someone might need help. She is a quite girl that will rarely take a leadership role. She would much rather follow and assist.

Description: Frostiana is a small girl with short hair in the back that gets longer to the front of her face. Her long bangs succeed in hiding any emotions on her face that might betray what she is feeling. Each strand of her straight white hair has a silver streak in it. When the sun hits her hair at the right angel she appears to glow a white aumbiance of light around her head. Her left eye is a frosty cold blue seaping with a chill that would strike fear in the hearts of the bravest. Her right eye emits a powerful firey glow of red, with the ability to sear into anyones soul.

Habits: She will constantly wring the neck of her staff, as though without it she would no longer be able to survive. Two very distinct spots on her staff are worn down from her constant grasp.

Background: Frostiana has very little knowlege about her past. She had made only one attempt to discover her history, but only the one attempt. At the age of 17 she had contacted a 'mystic truth see'er'. When forced to see her very creation she saw a powerful magical force being used on her mother as she was crowning. It was then that Frostiana felt a powerful surge of emotion coarse through her veins. Before she even knew what was happening a furious blazing molten fire blasted out from her very fingertips. The heat from the fire insinerated the room in front of her. In a panic she attempted to escape the blaze. As she pushed on the door to leave a frosty ice formed around her hand on the door and quickly spread to the whole wooden structure. The door quickly and easily shattered into many razor sharp ice pieces on the ground. Quickly escaping the disaster she then attempted to find shelter in the streets, feeling that no one could accept a person like her.

A monk came and found her on the streets barely hanging on to life from hunger and disease. As he attempted to transport her to the monk's academy she died along the way. When he finally arrived to the academy the monk used all his powers to resurrect Frostiana. In debt for her life she began training with the monk. The monk taught her the value of life and how she could use her powers for good to help people. Noticing her great potential as a powerful spellcaster he taught her healing and resurrection spells to use in the assistance of others. She quickly mastered these spells and began to long for more. She wanted to see the world again outside the glowing holy walls of the academy. So she was very quick to agree when the monk informed her of a call from Ascalon.

She now serves in the army of Ascalon hoping that by helping others she can wipe away her guilt of possessing such amazing powers.

Well, hope you can use that character. I have her in-game. I will try to get a pic next beta weekend.

EDIT:Formatted so its easier to read a little...

Paiden
24-03-2005, 07:08
Name: Paiden Cragroth (PAY-den crah-GRAH-th)

Personality ~

Paiden is generally a man of few words, he prefers body language as a form of communication, such as hand gestures, nods, facial expressions, etc. A more primal form of exchanging ideas. A cause of this may be his voice, it is relatively unknown why this is, but his voice is most unpleasing to the ear, it is deep and gravely, much like two stones being ground together. While fighting, his tongue loosens and he speaks quite often. Though, he keeps a level head and a modest attitude, he has beaten many skilled warriors, but is not cocky about it. He feels obligated to aid others in need,a reason for this may be his past.

Habits ~

Paiden is fasinated by spinning, whether it be the arrows, he spins in his hands before he fires them off, or by performing flashy turns with his body, whether twisting his torso and arms around in unique positions while firing off shots, or tricky no-look shots, he is in love with flashy movements. "If it doesn't look good, why bother?" Is his motto.

Appearance ~
His short, dark auburn mane is accented nicely with his intense steeley blue eyes, that seem to pierce through anyone who says something stupid. His patented "Stalker's Glare" has done little to boost his popularity among strangers. His build is somewhat large for a Ranger, though it can be explained as his previous work as a "Muscle" or Body-guard for high-ranking officials. He prefers earthy tones for his clothing, greens, browns, greys, etc. He usually travels alone, but prefers company.

Fighting ~

Paiden prefers to physically disable his opponents to the point where the only action they can perform is breathe, before he kills them. Unlike many fighters, who prefer to end the fight quick, Paiden loves to draw out the battles, to the point of his opponent(s) are exhausted to where they make stupid mistakes. Having his opponent suffer and squander around the battle field due to injuries satisfies him immensely.

The Ranger loves aerial attacks and acrobatic assaults, he will often dive, roll, flip and spin to avoid and inflict damage. He also uses flashy moves to throw his opponents off, he will go out of his way to dodge an attack just so he can counter it. He uses many unnecisary risks and actions while fighting, just to look impressive

Background ~

Paiden previously worked for his father, doing small jobs here and there, just to cover expenses. When he was alittle over 15 years of age, many in the town knew of him as the "Little Helper." he did not mind the title, though it was hard for him to appear adult and mature with such a nick name. One day while he was delivering assorted items for one of the town's merchants, he stumbled across a mugging in progress. having grown strong form years of physical labor, Paiden decided to help the victim and came to his aid. He and the brute traded blows for a bit, and Paiden held his own pretty fairly, though he rarely fought any of the other boys. Until the victim gathered his wits na dstuck the criminal through with his dagger. He thanked Paiden for his services and offered him a job as a body-guard. Turns out, the fellow was a fairly wealthy political figure. And Paiden's father gladly agreed to allow Paiden to continue on this opportunity.

Paiden made such good profits, that his family didn't ahve to worry abotu making ends meet anymore, they moved to a nicer part of town, his father retired early from working, and he became very well off. But, all good tings must come to an end. His employer became corrupt, and had Paiden assassinate opposing figures time and timne again. Paiden strongly disagreed with this ideology, but he wanted his family to be happy. Word traveld like wildfire though, and wild fire aften grows uncontrollably without being checked. So rumors flew around town that Paiden was aiding willfully these unjust acts. Wanting to flee from the wrongful accusations, Paiden gave all of his money to his family and quit his job. In order to shed his past, he changed his look completely. He now follows the path of archery and skill, rather than brute strength.

((Hope this works out for you, good idea by the by. Thanks. ~ P))

Mystiak
24-03-2005, 16:22
lol, Frozzen Fire and Frostiana Skorche could be siblings. lol. Their names pretty much go along the same idea.

LordBrand
24-03-2005, 18:18
I really appreciate all the submissions. The story is going well, and I'll post the first chapter after I've revised it a bit. Keep in mind that not everybody appears in the beginning of the story, so don't be too disappointed if you don't see your character right away. As of now, only 3 or 4 of the submitted characters are involved, although I already have roles planned for most.

I don't really have a good antagonist yet, so I'll probably make someone up for that, but the way the story flows there isn't really an overarching "antagonist" anyways. We'll see.

Thanks again.

ejxits
24-03-2005, 22:00
See next post.

ejxits
24-03-2005, 22:01
If frostiana is fine with it I am ok with being her sibling: they are great foils for one another, but it's up to u.

ejxits
27-03-2005, 20:26
...bump...

Anyway, any update on the story?

Please respond even if there isn't, because I haven't heard from you in ages and I want to make sure you're not abandoning the story.

LordBrand
28-03-2005, 02:45
...bump...

Anyway, any update on the story?

Please respond even if there isn't, because I haven't heard from you in ages and I want to make sure you're not abandoning the story.

Oh no. Not abandoned. I'm doing some revisions on the first chapter, and I'm mostly done with the second. I am about 20 or so pages into it. I ended up going out of town for Easter weekend and didn't get the writing in that I wanted.

Just to give you some idea of how things stand:
Our hero is Alyana, and we've met her brother Mikel. She has another brother Brand.

We have also met Ezequiel and he is starting to figure strongly into the story. We have met Tela, but she disappeared with the first chapter... She'll be back. We've also met Frozzen and Navel, although she isn't too prominant yet.

There is a separate story going on at the same time as the primary story from the point of view of Sotha Sil. He's so far only been revealed as an antagonist for the story, but he has a complicated character, so you'll see more from him later.

But yes, no worries. The story is still going.

ejxits
28-03-2005, 03:37
Oh no. Not abandoned. I'm doing some revisions on the first chapter, and I'm mostly done with the second. I am about 20 or so pages into it. I ended up going out of town for Easter weekend and didn't get the writing in that I wanted.

Just to give you some idea of how things stand:
Our hero is Alyana, and we've met her brother Mikel. She has another brother Brand.

We have also met Ezequiel and he is starting to figure strongly into the story. We have met Tela, but she disappeared with the first chapter... She'll be back. We've also met Frozzen and Navel, although she isn't too prominant yet.

There is a separate story going on at the same time as the primary story from the point of view of Sotha Sil. He's so far only been revealed as an antagonist for the story, but he has a complicated character, so you'll see more from him later.

But yes, no worries. The story is still going.

:) YESYESYESYESYES!!! must resist urge to continually press refresh until next update... (cue little green aliens in toy story 2 "you have saved our lives. We are eternally greatful...") Sorry, I really like fictional stories, and can get a bit overboard when I am involved in them in some way. ;)

I have two questions

1) About how many chapters do you intend to have?

2) Could we have a sneak peak at some point in the future. Perhaps just a small tidbit of the book corresponding to each character. Just as an example, from the point of view of a protection monk, you would give a paragraph from a battle in which the monk is straining to maintain the team and panics when a teammate goes out of protection range.

EDIT:
No, despite popular beleif I do not have ADHD.

Paiden
28-03-2005, 22:11
If you need any assistance, do not hesitate to let me know, I have tons of characters that you can use. I also am very good at RP'ing or so I am told, and I absolutely adore writing, thus my always long posts. Looks promising thus far, keep it up. Thanks. ~ P

LordBrand
29-03-2005, 16:27
Well, for those of you that can't wait... here's a little excerpt from chapter 2:
----
The man in the dark shroud watched the flames that sputtered about in the torch that rested on the wall. They were ungovernable, fire was a beast that man had only thought to have conquered… he had no by any stretch of the imagination succeeded. It alone possessed the unchained spirit, a being so untamable that man could not even touch it without feeling the burn of its power.
Oh, yes. Fire had its limitations. It was trapped where man put it. While it constantly sought escape, it often had no choices. And of course it had a mortal enemy in water. Enough fire and even water would not matter however… the water would disappear as quickly as it tried to destroy the mistress of fire.
Sotha Sil did not have these disadvantages. He admired fire for its power, its raw energy. However, he frowned on its limitations, limitations that he did not have to worry about now or ever. Never would he be so shackled. He lived in the now, and those who did could not be chained.
The fire was the epitome of living in the now. Only in the now were things possible. Yesterday was gone, you would never see it again. To look back would be to not see what was happening in the now. The future was not yet written. He could be struck with a random rock hurtling at speeds the human eye could not follow and die tomorrow, but in the now, he was alive. Looking too long at the future would cause you to miss the now as it was slowly written to history. Like him, the fire had no history, nor did it wish to look back even if it did possess one. Likewise, the fire would ultimately burn itself out, leaving only a charred reminder of its once great presence. Oh yes, the fire was in the now.
I am the fire, the secrets of life and death are mine to divulge to those whom I choose. I have that gift… Reaching behind his back, he could feel the katana still carefully in place in its reverse scabbard. He found the way most warriors bore their weapons to be horribly inefficient. Certainly there were advantages of wearing your weapon on your back, mobility being on. But having to reach up behind your head was a horribly slow and vulnerable way to pull it. More than one man had died who thought they would be faster than Sotha, but then, none were.
He imagined the torch was there so that prisoners in this cell could end their worthless existence with fire if things seemed too hopeless for them. Sotha wasn’t a prisoner however. To be a prisoner, you had to exist in more than the now. Now he was here. Who knows where he would be later.
He allowed the ghost of a smile to flit across his lips at his “capture.” A thousand of the animals had attempted to capture him. He had killed 6 of them before they had decided not to approach him. There were a large number of them, and had they all attacked, he may have been defeated. However, none of them wanted to be the one that did die in the process of capturing him, so instead they left him his weapons and escorted him to this tower. It didn’t really matter. That was the past, and not in the now.
“Has your warthog faced leader come to tell me what he desires? I told you I’m only speaking to him.” Only with the skill and training of a man who had spent a lifetime honing his senses would the two Charr that had approached his door have been heard. Sotha wasn’t even facing the door.
The room itself was nothing special. It was a small cell that he had chosen to be imprisoned in. There was a bed attached to the wall, although bed might have been too strong a word. It was more of a plank extending from the side of the wall with a thin layer of mold coating it that looked to be cloth unless you indulged in a close inspection. The ceiling had grate holes in it for breathing and so whatever fumes and vapors that were rising up from the floor would have a place to go. The door was a thick iron, dark and stained a rusty brown. The walls likewise were stained, although with feces or blood, Sotha could not tell, nor did he care. While this was not the most pleasant of places, there were worse places to be.
Like death… death would be infinitely worse. Sotha smiled. He wasn’t here because he was captured. He was here because it was his will. The Charr were beasts, he was not afraid of them. They were constantly squabbling over their portents and prophecies, and bickering over petty things that happened years before. The Charr didn’t know how to live in the now… they were anywhere but the now.
“I said get him. I’m not going to count and I’m not going to ask again. Do it or I will assuredly end you.”

----

I apologize on the delay, but while I was able to dive right into chapter two and unleash, chapter 1 just looks so shoddy. It feels clunky, so I don't want to print it out. However, I'm going to push on in the story a bit, and then go back and fix the first chapter some more. I may end up cutting it completely and just have the story start at the Academy and provide the things that happen in Chapter one as background references. Although the Sotha Sil chapter is a lot longer, it would do well as a prologue anyways. Anyways, we'll see. I'll get some more done today and let everybody know. Thanks for all the gestures of support!

ejxits
29-03-2005, 23:49
Let me putt ita this way: I;m shaking form excitement so much that I could bvarely type this messagee. :::::::::::))))))))))))))))))))))

Lenitas
30-03-2005, 08:38
All I can say is:

http://www.sold-guild.com/sold/boards/images/smiles/smiley_0455_hyper.gif

LordBrand
01-04-2005, 02:32
First chapter is edited and ready to be viewed. It's about 11 pages and ends when Alyana and Tela make it to Ascalon. It's not as good as I would have liked it (usually I like to revise after I finish the whole thing), but I figure you guys deserve to not have to wait any longer.

Incidently, not a whole lot happens in the first chapter, as it's just filler and backdrop to lead you into the later chapters. It's really a "get to know Alyana since she's the main character" chapter. It hammers out her personality fairly well, but not a whole lot of time for other characters yet. Chapter 2 starts from the point of view of a character that will be seen as the antagonist (sort of), and then leads into the academy all the way up until the searing. That's where the party is sort of coming together. Chapter 3 gets into the story proper, but I'm still writing it. Chapter 2 should be viewable by sunday.

I've asked Torrent Rahl if he would care to host the story on this site, but if not I will put it on my own, and send you guys the links. I'll have a list of screenshots I'd like to stage for the next beta event to add to the story, but I'll list that later and you guys can let me know how you feel about helping me get those.

Thanks for all your input so far.

ejxits
01-04-2005, 03:06
All I can say is:

http://www.sold-guild.com/sold/boards/images/smiles/smiley_0455_hyper.gif

ditto ;) (especially can't wait to see the first chapter. By the way, am I in it?)

LordBrand
01-04-2005, 06:03
ditto ;) (especially can't wait to see the first chapter. By the way, am I in it?)

No, sorry. You don't turn up until the end of chapter 2.

The only submitted characters in chapter 1 are Tela and you sort of meet Ezequiel, but you don't know him yet.

Frozzen, Navel, and Ezequiel turn out to be Alyana's main companions for the Academy just prior to searing, and the ones she works with to travel to Lion's Arch post searing.

Mystiak
01-04-2005, 08:22
So Frostiana Skorche will probably show up briefly near the end then. As a quick re enforcment to help the good side perhaps. :)

Sounds good though so far. Should be interesting. Take your time though, no rush. Make it so you like it. I like that your thinking of revamping the first chapter. Shows that your doing your best to make the story work.

Paiden
02-04-2005, 19:59
Yes, let us know what staged screen shots you need. Also, i would be mroe than willing to have Paiden be and antagonist as well. Thoguh it matters not to me, it is your work. Great work so far though. Thanks. ~ P

LordBrand
03-04-2005, 07:15
Yes, let us know what staged screen shots you need. Also, i would be mroe than willing to have Paiden be and antagonist as well. Thoguh it matters not to me, it is your work. Great work so far though. Thanks. ~ P

There may actually be something I can do with that...

I'll keep you posted. (=

Jack Blade
03-04-2005, 23:30
There may actually be something I can do with that...

I'll keep you posted. (=

And of Jackie Blade? I've heard nothing of story relevance to her, and am wondering if she's still in it.

By the way, your exert from chapter 2 was fantastic :)

JB

LordBrand
05-04-2005, 13:51
And of Jackie Blade? I've heard nothing of story relevance to her, and am wondering if she's still in it.

By the way, your exert from chapter 2 was fantastic :)

JB

Still going to be in the story, not forgotten... Just not appearing in the early pages. Remember that some characters will have to be introduced at points other than the beginning otherwise the story doesn't change much. (;

Second of all, since nobody at gwonline was interested in hosting the story, I'll be sticking it on my own web server after I set up a page to make it look nice. I'll post the link to that soon.

LordBrand
06-04-2005, 14:43
Second of all, since nobody at gwonline was interested in hosting the story, I'll be sticking it on my own web server after I set up a page to make it look nice. I'll post the link to that soon.

Torrent got back to me today, so hopefully you'll be seeing a link to it soon.

ejxits
07-04-2005, 01:56
Torrent got back to me today, so hopefully you'll be seeing a link to it soon.

How far along are you and what will we be able to see when the link appears on this site.

LordBrand
07-04-2005, 18:11
I'm not sure when the link will show up, but it will currently be showing the first chapter. Second chapter is all but revised, and I'll submit that as well.

I really do apologize for the delays. I'm currently job hunting and all this currying of favor and glad-handing is taking a lot of my time. Nobody really interested in hiring web developers unless there's some serious networking on top of the design (meaning .NET programming, TCP/IP type stuff, etc rather than just PHP/HTML/ASP, etc).

ejxits
10-04-2005, 22:42
Any updates?

LordBrand
10-04-2005, 23:23
Any updates?

It's on the fan fiction forum. "A Monk's Tale." Check it out.

The post requirements were too small, so I broke it up into 3 posts. Feel free to enjoy the first chapter. (=

DarkArch0n
17-04-2005, 02:29
I loved the first chapter :) and i laughed with glee when Zeiq was in the story, it was exactly how I pictured him. I had completely forgotten about this until i met up with you last night, that was a stroke of luck :D.

Anyway... any updates? lol :clap:

Lenitas
17-04-2005, 06:58
This is reall, really good. I read it all thoroughly instead of going into scanning-over-it mode like I usually do with long texts on the internet.

I'll certainly print it all out when it's done and have it put together as a real book.

I'm also impressed with the whole "balance" part, of course that would be nice for me to read :D

What a wonderful project, I can't wait to read the next chapter http://forums.gwonline.net/images/smilies/happy14.gif Well done!!

BLK THUNDER
17-04-2005, 20:27
SRY NOT FOR USE i am reclaiming my character idea.

ejxits
18-04-2005, 18:44
Also if you need another character, I have a Mo/N minion raiser who can maintain his minions indefinately. (If you want I can prove it to you when the game comes out since no one beleives me.)

Lenitas
11-05-2005, 15:37
I just wanted to say that I have finally found the first part of chapter two.
And wanted to say that you can't just stop in the middle of it.

Please just write the entire thing in a day and link me to the finished story, thanks :D

(No, seriously, it's an exciting read and I can't wait... uh... I said all of this before.)