PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a new computer?

TouchOdeath
23-03-2005, 16:59
Just like the topic says. With my current computer specs, I can't run guild wars in 1024x768, with all the graphics turned up and it still run smooth. When I say smooth, I mean about.. 80 fps and above. I love this game alot and I think my experience with this game would be boosted with a new computer. I do have the funds to buy a new computer, but computers cost too much :(, plus its not a good time to buy a new computer.

Now thats the first problem. The second problem is if I even do buy a new computer, which should I go with AMD or Intel?

Before you start saying 'GO AMD! GO AMD!' consider this. If you compare all the pentium motherboards with all the amd motherboards, for the most part pentium motherboards are more up to date. Like for example, I've noticed pentium mobos have DDR2 ram slots, and not even the TOP amd mobos have DDR2 ram slots. I havent seen an amd mobo have Dual bios, which pentium mobos have (yes the only benefit is if one fails the other still works, but the point is its more up-to-date). All the pentium mobos also are pushing twards SATA and moving away from IDE (they have 4 SATA and only 1 IDE where AMD has the traditional number of IDE slots and only 2 SATA). Again as I said, I won't be using a SATA harddrive, just saying that pentium mobos are more up-to-date.

So, should I buy a computer and if so should I go with AMD or Intel?

Hurin66
23-03-2005, 17:37
there is no good reason to pentuim over amd 64....

TouchOdeath
23-03-2005, 20:45
Pentium based mobos seem to be better than AMD mobos.

Hurin66
23-03-2005, 21:02
not really, they dont offer anything your amd mob wont give you and their bios's tend to be less user friendly, not to mention the mobs cost about 2 times more..

TouchOdeath
23-03-2005, 21:10
ok.. go pick me out a good amd mobo, and ill pick out a good intel mobo and then we'll compare.

Lady_Alenuska
23-03-2005, 21:30
ok.. go pick me out a good amd mobo, and ill pick out a good intel mobo and then we'll compare.

Since your heart seem's set on what you want why not just go get it? :)

TouchOdeath
23-03-2005, 21:34
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-128-284&DEPA=0

Specifications:
Supported CPU: LGA775 Pentium 4(HT) Processors
Chipset: Grantsdale P(915P) + ICH6R
FSB: 800/533MHz
RAM: 2x Dual Channel DDRII 533/400, 2x Dual Channel DDR400/333 Max 2GB
IDE: 1x ATA 100/66(ICH6R), 2x ATA133(VT6410)
SATA:4x SATA with RAID 1/0/Matrix RAID
Slots: 2x PCI-E x16, 3x PCI, 1x PCI-E x1
Ports: 2x PS/2, 1x COM, 1x LPT, 1x LAN, 8x USB2.0(Rear 4), Audio Ports, S/PDIF(In/Out)
Onboard Audio: Azalia(C-Media 9880)(7.1-Ch Out/Line-in/Mic in)
Onboard LAN:Marvell 8001 GbE 10/100/1000mbs
Form Factor: ATX

2x PCI-E x16 (for dual graphics cards), 3x PCI (so you can use some of your old stuff) and a 1x PCI-E x1.

Supports both Dual Channel ddr2 and ddr1. 4 sata slots, 2 ata133 slots.

Since your heart seem's set on what you want why not just go get it?

Ahh very good question. The reason why I just dont go out and buy a computer is because nows a bad time to buy a new computer. So I would feel like I would be wasting the money.

Excel
23-03-2005, 22:18
The Asus A8N-SLI deluxe has 8 Sata connectors for instance

http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/overview.htm

TouchOdeath
23-03-2005, 22:55
Nice post excel

yours has 4 more sata ports than mine. Both mobos support SLI. My ram slots are DDR 2 yours are not (you can put more ram in your mobo than I). My supports old PCI slots, although yours has more PCI-E ports than mine.

Both boards seem about the same. The only real difference in performance would be the DDR2 (correct me if im wrong).

Nice mobo.

Lady_Alenuska
23-03-2005, 23:45
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-128-284&DEPA=0

Specifications:
Supported CPU: LGA775 Pentium 4(HT) Processors
Chipset: Grantsdale P(915P) + ICH6R
FSB: 800/533MHz
RAM: 2x Dual Channel DDRII 533/400, 2x Dual Channel DDR400/333 Max 2GB
IDE: 1x ATA 100/66(ICH6R), 2x ATA133(VT6410)
SATA:4x SATA with RAID 1/0/Matrix RAID
Slots: 2x PCI-E x16, 3x PCI, 1x PCI-E x1
Ports: 2x PS/2, 1x COM, 1x LPT, 1x LAN, 8x USB2.0(Rear 4), Audio Ports, S/PDIF(In/Out)
Onboard Audio: Azalia(C-Media 9880)(7.1-Ch Out/Line-in/Mic in)
Onboard LAN:Marvell 8001 GbE 10/100/1000mbs
Form Factor: ATX

2x PCI-E x16 (for dual graphics cards), 3x PCI (so you can use some of your old stuff) and a 1x PCI-E x1.

Supports both Dual Channel ddr2 and ddr1. 4 sata slots, 2 ata133 slots.

Ahh very good question. The reason why I just dont go out and buy a computer is because nows a bad time to buy a new computer. So I would feel like I would be wasting the money.

Is there really a good time to buy a new computer? Lets face it the way they pump out new technology your computer's life expectancy is not going to be long regardless.. This is all hypothetical of course... However like I stayed befor you seem to have your own mind made up....

Garumn
24-03-2005, 00:01
I suggest for you to wait for DX10 cards to come out and then shell out for a new computer

TouchOdeath
24-03-2005, 01:38
Yes there is a good time and a bad time to buy a computer. Lets say that microsoft comes out with a new OS a month from now. Lets say I buy a computer a month before the OS came out. Lets say now that 1 week before the OS was released, somebody came out with new hardware technology. If you would have waited that month then you would have been solid. Just an example. Probably not a realistic one, but its just so you can get the concept down.

DX10 cards? Never heard of them. I'll do my research. Thanks.

Edit:

I'm a moron, I thought when you said DX10 you were refering to a specifc kind of card instead of 'DirectX 10'.

JSSheridan
24-03-2005, 06:12
Anandtech.com just posted a performance review of WoW, so you can probably guess how GW will perform based on that. It is worth having a look at. The reason AMD boards don't support DDR2 is because the memory controller does not support DDR2. The memory controller is on the processor and was designed by AMD. I'm sure they tested out the new memory and decided that it wasn't worth the effort to switch over, and experience has proved them right. In FPS games like Far Cry and Doom3, in CPU limited situations, the A64 systems are better/faster than the Intel systems. The Athlon/Athlon XP/Athlon 64 cpu's don't need as much memory bandwidth as the P4's. The A64 is affected a bit by higher memory latencies, and since DDR2 has higher latencies than DDR, DDR is probably best for the A64.

CorporateEliance
24-03-2005, 07:15
I think getting a new computer, solely depends on the person, and what you use it for. If the person is fine with an older computer, and it runs fine, and does everything that they want it to, then there is no reason to get a new one. If the person wants to be up to date all the time, and needs the most baddest computer out there, then buy a new one. Personally, I wouldn't want to buy a new computer every 6 months. only buy a new computer if your computer is really outdate, that it doesn't run any of the new programs, or software that come out, even if your computer doesn't, that doesn't mean you have to get the newest, better software.

TouchOdeath
25-03-2005, 17:11
Thanks for the news JSSheridan. Ill take a look at it. Thanks for the advice CorporateEliance, I think what you said has alot of truth in it.

RanceW
25-03-2005, 22:43
pentiums are more overclockable plus cheaper for the speed.

Dienekes
01-04-2005, 03:24
pentiums are more overclockable plus cheaper for the speed.
Think your missing the point AMD have gone away from uping the clockspeed by enormous amounts and instead have been working on the eficiency of the chips AMD get more calculations at a lower clock speed and much lower temperatures as well meaning that overclocking is simpler (No need to water cool).

If you are going for a Pentium tho, the Pentium M-755 class desktop chips are considered to be the best gaming processors and although running at 2.3Ghz, it is faster than a 3.8GHz P4 and only marginally slower than an AMD 64 4000. It also doesnt require a huge fan. Only problem being lack of choice in mobos and the difficulty of getting 1.

Personnally I go for the AMD and ASUS setup and have built 8 of them for customers and its cheaper for the performance.