PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Computer

Anteaus
04-04-2005, 00:18
I'm looking at replacing my motherboard and graphics card, any sugestions?

Perfidia
04-04-2005, 04:15
Well, replacing your motherboard usually meand getting a new processor and RAM, unless you have a fairly new processor. Make sure to pay attention to FSB and chipset for the motherboard. I would go with ASUS for the motherboard, because they make cheap reliable boards. Also, for a card, a Nvidea 6600 is at a good price, and a great card.

If you really want to be able to keep your machine for awhile, get a motherboard with a PCI X-Press video card slot. They are taking over, and a high end PCI express videocard costs maybe $150.

If you need great prices, shop newegg.com. They are reliable, and I have never been dissapointed in them. Bought all the parts for my $1700 rig from them and was never dissatisfied.

CharnelHouse
07-04-2005, 04:28
As the previous poster said, upgrading your mobo can really cause you more problems than help you, unless you have a very new processor and just aren't happy with your mobo.

If you are looking to make your current rig run better, look into more RAM, a better vid card, a newer processor (based on your current mobo) roughly in that order.

Ghostlord
07-04-2005, 18:59
Processor: I can recommend the AMD 64-bit processor,i currently run a 3.6 Ghz 64-bit processor machine and it runs like a dream,once a OS and software start fully supporting 64-bit processors it'll be the thing to want,but even now its lightyears ahead,say what you want about AMD but thats how it is.

Graphics:ATI Radeon are not that pricey nowadays,though im not too sure about geforce 5,heard both sides of the story on that.

RAM: If you wanna go for a longterm improvement buy Kingston KVR533D2N4/1G 1024Mb DDR2 PC4200 533MHz ,that is if your system can handle it...RAM dont get much better than that for the pricerange (those run around $300 each here) and if you later need to upgrade for whatever reason you can pop in another,instead of having 2 512mb banks cluttering your slots.

thats what i'd recommend myself. :thumbsup:

JSSheridan
08-04-2005, 03:44
I'm looking at replacing my motherboard and graphics card, any sugestions?
What are the specs of your current system and what kind of budget do you have?