PDA

View Full Version : We Need Monks

Xircon
07-04-2005, 21:06
If no one has noticed. Trying to form a team is a hard task and always comes down to one thing. "We need another monk".

I am not sure why people are so set against playing monks. I have palyed a number of them. I have heard froma few that they do not do damage. Tell you a little secret, they can do as much damage and times more than other classes, but that build is currently is the private forum (soon to be).

We need monks. We need more monks. Healers are really fun to play and in a way, more challenging than anything else. It is not an easy task to keep everyone alive and still pay attention to the game.

I encourage people to play them and be prepared to such at it for a bit. Once you get in your groove, then it is almost easy but still fun.

Please everyone, make some monks.

Phaeax
07-04-2005, 21:37
I plan to build up a Monk/Ranger (Arceloph the True) once the release comes. As of now, I really only have the one character in PvE and limited PvP experience.

Anyway, it'll be a protection monk for PvP. Once he's up in level, thus also giving me some experience playing that style of character, I'll be there when others need me.

Minelle Tempest
07-04-2005, 22:20
I agree monks are a lot of fun to play. Can be quite stressful, yes, but very rewarding. My main character (Min) is a healing monk. Of course, I'm still learning new things, but I suppose we all are :).

Come to think of it - maybe you meant monks for PvP, Xircon.. :scratch: (If so, please ignore my post, still a PvE-er :D ..)

Zero
07-04-2005, 22:42
It applies to both types of party really however for pvp it is usually a dire need. We always seem short of either a warrior or another monk (seems players that like one also like the other). I am going to try one or two other classes this BWE coming (i know undeads making anyone pvping in the team tests suddenly switch to a random class/build thats in the team so we all get some practice in each type) so who know's what build i'll also "fall in love" with (though i doubt it'll beat my trapper urgers :lol: )

Metroid_01
07-04-2005, 22:44
I can give a monk a shot. i think im somewhat observant toward that kinda stuff... ill check out this build for next beta i guess.

Phaeax
07-04-2005, 23:18
One of my other characters I'll be building up is a Warrior/Mesmer that should be able to tank OK as well.

As for now, I can try and play different builds with PvP-only characters, but with the limited time until release, I also hope to at least get one character to Lion's Arch. I got a late start... :(

Goo Plz
07-04-2005, 23:30
Hehe, funny you should post this, I was just starting to think about next weeks BWE, and if there would be any particular character that is required for guildy-type purposes. If it's a monk you need, it's a monk you'll get!

Also I was wondering if the Lvl 20 unlocked skills thingy will still be available, not seen any info as of yet. Anyone know?

As for the build: from what I have read it seems that monks are usually the first targets in pvp, so should the build have some self-defence, or is it up to other members of the team to stop the monks getting hit? :D

Steve

Zero
07-04-2005, 23:36
As for the build: from what I have read it seems that monks are usually the first targets in pvp, so should the build have some self-defence, or is it up to other members of the team to stop the monks getting hit? :D

Steve
Depends on what build you use. There's heal monks, protection monks, attacker monks, signet monks. Generally its a healer or protector thats needed, though a decoy monk can work wonders in some team builds...

Kirsty
07-04-2005, 23:39
Once the release is out I'll be creating a pve monk to learn how to use healing, protection and smiting well. After that I'll be certain to have some kind of monk ready for generic pvp. That is, if there will be the concept of gvg premades after the release.

Balazaar
07-04-2005, 23:48
Well, my main character is a monk/ranger who is focused on healing mainly in monk focus, with a pet following me. I can't say that I have the best skill setup yet, but I'm planning on focusing (right now) on monk builds. So, you can count on me to be building multiple monks. My current one is about level 8, but I'm thinking about maybe I should start a new one during the next BWE... thinking of more of a monk/elem and another monk/ranger build without a pet... I'm just not sure yet how I want to approach either build... I can tell I need to do more reading...

Cantos
07-04-2005, 23:49
I love my monk, it's just she doesnt pvp much yet, and is only lvl 15. Since the last BWE, I realised that points in Divine Favor would be very helpful! I am going to drop all pretense of Elementalist, take 8 healing skills, and generally go hunting for some of the more potent healing skills I dont have yet.

Minelle Tempest
07-04-2005, 23:52
I am going to drop all pretense of Elementalist, take 8 healing skills, and generally go hunting for some of the more potent healing skills I dont have yet.
That is what I did with my Mo/R. I had a pet, but found that having it was too skill-slot consuming, and I only used 2 slots for the pet...

Goo Plz
07-04-2005, 23:55
Hmm, well most of the reading I've been doing was looking at mesmers and necro's, especially anti-caster types, so I know a lot of what to fear :D A decoy you say? Interesting *strokes chin*

I guess monks are always a prime target, but theres no real escape from using them is there? Unless you have a team all with monk secondaries that all do their own little bit, but that would be chaos lol. Sooo, that means either the (healer) monk can get some defence of their own, or assuming a team takes 2 healers + a protector, hope it works in a kind of healing triangle. I guess it's often a case of who gets to whose monks first- so many things to learn! :)

Anyhoo, assuming you need pure healers and protection monks, let me know if there's a preference for either.

Zero
08-04-2005, 00:07
usually its two healers or a healer and a primary protection with some healing (i think). Taking a third decoy monk can be helpful as it'll take some heat off the others. Also during fights people tend to look straight at charecter types and not the name, thus they won't remember who is the attacking monk and who heals. It also depends on the position of the monk, if standing out in the open looking vunerable with no-one to come protect they will usually get attacked.
I think it was SoW who had a team of all primary monks who basically all used signet attacks, each had a little heal but there was still the main healer. With everyone looking the same confusion was high on the other team.

HappyPants
08-04-2005, 00:07
I played a monk last night. Our team seemed to have trouble staying alive, but with 3 monks, my healing couldn't have been the only problem. I have been practicing a monk 4v4 and have been doing really well. Moving to 8v8 is a little different because people tend to split up more so you have to run to heal them, but I am getting the hang of it and will probably play a monk more often.

Zero
08-04-2005, 00:08
I played a monk last night. Our team seemed to have trouble staying alive, but with 3 monks, my healing couldn't have been the only problem. I have been practicing a monk 4v4 and have been doing really well. Moving to 8v8 is a little different because people tend to split up more so you have to run to heal them, but I am getting the hang of it and will probably play a monk more often.
They need to stick together more....or have a monk per group and the third running between to lend a hand and heal the other monks.

Cantos
08-04-2005, 00:10
That is what I did with my Mo/R. I had a pet, but found that having it was too skill-slot consuming, and I only used 2 slots for the pet...

Although, just now looking at the Elementalist skills, Ward against Melee could come in handy.

Zero
08-04-2005, 00:12
If your going ele as well you'll want to consider your options. Would it be better to go energy storage for more mana (thus more healing) or divine favour for stronger heals?

Xircon
08-04-2005, 00:35
A guide to playing a monk:

Monks are not always hang in back and not be seen kind of guys. VEry commonly you are in the action or very near to it.

I will try to go through a complete battle as being a monk with your average team consisting of a mix of guys, say 2 monks, 2 warriors, and a mix of elles, mesmers, rangers and necros.

As the two teams colide into combat, your warriors are likly to run in and go for there monks. Going to deep is a problem but monks have to be gone after. If it is not the monks, it is the casters which are most likly towards the back. But do remember, the other team is likly to be doing the same thing. Your monks sitting in the back leaves them defenseless to attacks. This is why it is good for the monks to come into the combat area as well. They do not have to go right into the middle, but maybe more around the edges. Also do not run into combt first. If you are to far forward, you become easly marked. Wait until the damage dealers go in and are being targeted to run in. If your damage dealers are being targeted and not your monks, your job is real easy and should win.

As you(the monk) are targeted, try to get healing on you. It is crucial that the two monks heal each other and defend themselves until yuor warriors can cap a couple of the other teams monks and/or casters. Once you ahve the upper hand, you can focus on other things. But face the fact, for a monk to be able to heal, you have to be in range of the other team castering things on you or shooting arrows at you.

Tank what damage yuo can. Healing seed is good for this. Otherwise, start running. I have found it best to run right into a pack of guys. As you are running swerve around but watch your path. I know al of you have played warriors and such and when you are chasing a target how often are you watching where you run and get stuck behind an object or another player? Now that you have ditched the guy chasing you, foucs on healing for a few seconds. Cast a seed if needed or whatever else.

At this point, the match (not game but that round of combat) is in your favorm or not. If it is in your favor, you are likly not in to much danger now, but keep healing. DO NOT Reserect dead guys if there is people in need of healing for numerous reasons. One, the ressed person will be low on life (after ressing) and is an easy target again. Two, it is better to heal (to keep them alive) someone that does not have a DP then to res someone who will then have a DP.

Other little strateigies as a monk. If you are being targeted by ranged weapons, pull back a little and commonly they will change targets, then come back in to heal.

Do not stand next to someone else. Stay spread out to avoid AoE's and rapid target changes. I have proved the tatic of attacking one target and getting monks to consume lots of energy and spells on that target and rapidly change targets to beat down the new target before skills recharge.

I do have several monk builds that have been proven to be affective that I am willing to give people. There is more to this but I cannot think of it. It is just a general layout. Also there is numerous things that could happen or cause this whole game plan to change.

Goo Plz
08-04-2005, 00:46
I think it was SoW who had a team of all primary monks who basically all used signet attacks, each had a little heal but there was still the main healer. With everyone looking the same confusion was high on the other team.

Lol, now that's some cool tactics :)

Ok, had a quick mess about and came up with this :

Class: Monk / Ranger

Attributes: (cost) '+' indicates Rune attributes
Divine Favor: 10+2 (61)
Healing Prayers: 10 (61)
Protection Prayers: 8 +1(37)
Wilderness Survival: 8 (37)

Total attribute points used: 196/200

Skills: [Attribute] (Energy, Cast Time, Recharge TIme)
1) Signet of Devotion [Divine Favor] (0,2,5) Signet: Heal target ally for 83 health.

2) Orison of Healing [Healing Prayers] (5,1,2) Spell: Heal target ally for 53 health.

3) Dwayna's Kiss [Healing Prayers] (5,1,3) Spell: Heal target other ally for 45 health and an additional 15 health for each enchantment or hex on that ally.

4) Healing Breeze [Healing Prayers] (10,1,2) Enchantment: For 10 seconds, target ally gains health regeneration of 7.

5) Reversal of Fortune [Protection Prayers] (5,0,2) Enchantment: The next time target ally would take damage, that ally gains that amount of health instead, maximum 54.

6) Healing Seed [Healing Prayers] (15,2,25) Enchantment: For 16 seconds, whenever target other ally takes damage, that ally and all adjacent allies gain 21 health.

7) Troll Unguent [Wilderness Survival] (5,3,10) Skill: For 10 seconds, you gain health regeneration +7.

8) Melandru's Resilience [Wilderness Survival] (5,0,15) Stance: For 15 seconds, you gain health regeneration of 2 and energy regeneration of 1 for each condition and hex you are suffering. This is an elite skill.

Plenty of spammable heals,a couple of handy enchants for anyone under focus, and two selfish, don't-kill-me thingies for moi :)

Now tear it apart and make it pretty! lol

Zero
08-04-2005, 01:09
Just with a quick look over, i'd get rid of meldurines as you can cast your monk health regen on yourself (same would go for troll ungent but it can be nice when multi-hexed with life drain). Healing seed is an excellent skill to have present when someone is targeted, basically makes them invinsible.

Edit: thought this the better place to put the question.
Scourage Healing:For 30 seconds, every time target foe is healed, the healer takes 15-67 holy damage.
The ultimate anti-seed spell?? would it deal damage to the caster monk every time someone hit the seeded person? Haven't had a lot of experiance with using monks so thought i'd put it out there.

Cantos
08-04-2005, 01:14
I do have several monk builds that have been proven to be affective that I am willing to give people. There is more to this but I cannot think of it. It is just a general layout. Also there is numerous things that could happen or cause this whole game plan to change.

I'd rather read more of this meta strategy than specific build guides. It's fun to find my own way, and I'm slowly trimming out the confusion that I started with for a leaner and more efficient build.

I dont understand how Healing Seed can be considered so effective. If you get healed for ~25 every hit, surely you will get hit for more than 25 damage each time? I seem to remember taking 100 damage or so per hit from a warrior in my brief GvG match. Does it activate with health degeneration attacks?

neoflame
08-04-2005, 01:20
Edit: thought this the better place to put the question.
Scourage Healing:For 30 seconds, every time target foe is healed, the healer takes 15-67 holy damage.
The ultimate anti-seed spell?? would it deal damage to the caster monk every time someone hit the seeded person?
I believe I read in a thread on another forum that this is not the case, because the healer is technically the enchantment and not another player.

Scourge Healing is still a very nice spell, though.

Since you appear to be focusing on healing spam, I'd drop Melandru's Resilience for Word of Healing. Some pretty good alternates include Mark of Protection or, if you're in more of a support role, some sort of hex/condition removal like, well, Remove Hex.

Zero
08-04-2005, 01:21
Seed works so well because generally people target a sole enemy. This means while you have the warriors etc beating on you for more than 25dmg you also have the casters (who can't always cast due to mana/regen issues) who use their low 12dmg attacks. Ontop of that if you have a high devine favour the seeded ally is healed with its extra bonus each hit.

*Note: xirc if we start talking strat/builds can you move the needed posts to the private forum? i have a build coming to mind but want to keep it with the subject. Course this all depends on the answer to my scourage healing question above. :thumbsup: *

Edit: thank you neo, pitty really, it would've been a hell of a monk seeder killer.

Goo Plz
08-04-2005, 01:39
Dunno if I'm missing something here but comparing Mark of Protection and Reversal of Fortune:

Reversal of Fortune [Protection Prayers] (5,0,2) Enchantment: The next time target ally would take damage, that ally gains that amount of health instead, maximum 54.

Mark of Protection [Protection Prayers] (15,1,45) Enchantment: For 10 seconds, whenever target ally would take damage, that ally is healed for that amount instead, maximum 38. All your Protection Prayers are disabled for 10 seconds. This is an elite skill.

Looks like they do the same thing, except Reversal is better in every way!

As for the Melandru's, I earlier read a post saying that as Monks are targetted with everything but the kitchen sink, it's basically free life/energy regen :) Word of Healing does look like a cute replacement though, hehe.

Remove Hex in place of Trolls Ungent would make sense though, having it with Healing breeze is perhaps overkill eh :P

I really liked the idea of having some heavy duty self preservation though, I don't like the view from the floor :D

Edit: Just saw the difference between Mark and Reversal... 10 seconds worth of healing instead of just healing 1 attack. Hmmz even more to think about !

neoflame
08-04-2005, 01:42
Looks like they do the same thing, except Reversal is better in every way!
Reversal soaks a single hit. Mark of Protection soaks every hit for 10 seconds.

If next week they still have the "temporarily unlock all skills" button (which would be great for me, since I'm still not done experimenting :D) I intend to try (among other things) a Blessed Aura/temporary enchantment-based build, running spells like Healing Breeze, Mark of Protection {E}, and Healing Seed. I've also got a L20 healing/protection E/Mo (back from when you could create PvE L20's), if anyone wants it.

Cantos
08-04-2005, 02:01
Ontop of that if you have a high devine favour the seeded ally is healed with its extra bonus each hit.

Oh really? I am sure I read that the Divine Favor bonus was applied once, when Healing Seed is first cast on the target.

So I am correct in assuming that in Conjure Phantasm vs Healing Seed, Conjure Phantasm (or any health degen skill) avoids the "heal per hit" of Seed? Or maybe it activates just once when Conjure Phantasm is applied?

neoflame
08-04-2005, 02:07
So I am correct in assuming that in Conjure Phantasm vs Healing Seed, Conjure Phantasm (or any health degen skill) avoids the "heal per hit" of Seed? Or maybe it activates just once when Conjure Phantasm is applied?
As far as I know, health degen doesn't count as damage, so Conjure Phantasm won't trigger Healing Seed at any time on its own.

And while I can't recall exactly, I would be inclined to agree that the DF bonus should only apply when HS is first cast.

UndeadBehlial
08-04-2005, 05:21
Divine Favor will not work with every hit you take with Healing Seed on you, you were correct Cantos.

I bumped and added a bit to my Healer Creation thread in the private forum, you guys should check it out, its pretty basic and short.

As a monk, count on getting railed. There are different playing styles however. From playing with Xircon, we both know that he and I play differently in some ways. I personally believe a monk should be able to stand there tanking warriors without a need to run. Time after time I tie up a warrior who just beats on me and gets nowhere. Why is this? I cast healing hands on myself, and healing breeze/healing touch. The warrior will spend maybe 2 minutes hacking away at me, and get nowhere, and eventually get bored and leave. The only donwside of seed is you cannot selfcast it, so if you're getting hit you're outta luck. I find that healing hands as my elite lengthens my longevity as well as give me 10 seconds to heal other people. And cantos, yes many times warriors DO do more than 22 damage, however its usually not much more - i'd venture an average of 26. Its much easier to take 4 damage than 26 :)

One thing I do stress is the necessity of Signet of Devotion. If you plan on being mainly a healer, you'll get drained FAST without it. Not to mention it will work when you have Backfire on you.

Darc.Syde
08-04-2005, 06:39
well, to help you guys out - i play monks too - spells like aura of faith and divine boon are crazy and good. as for melandru's rescilience, i dont know if you guys know this, but the combo is draw conditions and melandru's.

i used almost every type of monk, my most favorite is a mo/w with bonnetti's defense. i use strickly healing for this biuild, along with aura of faith; i also dont use a focus, so it's 35 max nrg - no real effect other than higher armor - and i use bonnetti's for energy. this build i can tank with, other builds i would run.

another build i run is monk/elementalist. same healing setup with wards, mainly ward against melee and armor of earth. 100 AL is pretty sweet. tihs build also doesnt need to run much because it wants to lure foes into the ward.

2 protection builds i used are mo/nec and mo/ran, both using divine boon for extra healing. the mo/ran runs the draw/melandru's combo, so eenergy isnt much of an issue. the mo/nec needs some help, recent tests from fianna showed offering of blood should be enough energy managment, so i use it.

basic heal spells i use are: healing touch, orison, breeze, signert of devotion, seed, aura of faith. and my protector setup is: reversal, gaurdian, mend ailment/draw conditions, protective spirit, signet of devotion, devine boon.

other guilds have also proved remove hex and resserects on monks arent so good becuase it takes out of their healing time.

hope this helps.

UndeadBehlial
08-04-2005, 07:16
<3 darc

but seriously, Aura of Faith.... while I agree it is good, I will never give up my Healing Hands for anything, its just SUCH a lifesaver.

Other than that, pay attention to Uncle Darc, kids!

Trancinghof
08-04-2005, 14:09
Ive been playing monk pretty much all the other BWE's than the last one where I met you guys and joined up. So I can for sure say that I have tryed to play Monk, and it wasnt really me. :thumbsup:

Isamoth
18-04-2005, 09:23
I've read a lot on different skills and techniques for using skills but I have not seen very much on the different techniques and uses of weapon switching. This may be because Iíve been concentrating nearly solely on Warrior tanks but nonetheless...

This BWE I tried my first healing monk and found him to be extremely fun. In the 4vs4 and CTF arenas my groups would regularly go on 6+ round sprees, mostly with flawless victories. I used a pvp character and set my weapons sets for one set being max energy storage with 2 pips of energy regen and another for average storage and 4 pips of regen. In normal combat having the low storage, high regen sufficed but when we were really being pounded I would switch to the high storage set and get an extra 35 some energy which usually pulled us through the tight spot. After word there was usually a lull in battle where I would switch back to high regen and build back up my energy. One note is that if you have 10 of 80 energy in your bar and you switch to having a storage max of 40, you have to regenerate that missing 30 energy before the bar starts to store up useable energy with that set.

I use a similar concept for my W/M where one set has a shield and another has a focus item which really helps to jumpstart my character when Iíve used most of my energy starting up enchantments and am waiting for energy to be regained.

Just wanted to make this observation since I hadn't seen much on it and is a very efficient way to increase your effectiveness and to give you that little extra 'umph' to win an engagement.

Trancinghof
18-04-2005, 09:32
I've read a lot on different skills and techniques for using skills but I have not seen very much on the different techniques and uses of weapon switching. This may be because Iíve been concentrating nearly solely on Warrior tanks but nonetheless...

This BWE I tried my first healing monk and found him to be extremely fun. In the 4vs4 and CTF arenas my groups would regularly go on 6+ round sprees, mostly with flawless victories. I used a pvp character and set my weapons sets for one set being max energy storage with 2 pips of energy regen and another for average storage and 4 pips of regen. In normal combat having the low storage, high regen sufficed but when we were really being pounded I would switch to the high storage set and get an extra 35 some energy which usually pulled us through the tight spot. After word there was usually a lull in battle where I would switch back to high regen and build back up my energy. One note is that if you have 10 of 80 energy in your bar and you switch to having a storage max of 40, you have to regenerate that missing 30 energy before the bar starts to store up useable energy with that set.

I use a similar concept for my W/M where one set has a shield and another has a focus item which really helps to jumpstart my character when Iíve used most of my energy starting up enchantments and am waiting for energy to be regained.

Just wanted to make this observation since I hadn't seen much on it and is a very efficient way to increase your effectiveness and to give you that little extra 'umph' to win an engagement.

I can see your point Isamoth, but I havent really tryed it yet, since I only picked 1 set of items for each of my PvP chars. Could you pick 2 sets? If so, /missa slapz0r myself.

I would also just say sorry for my rudeness on the TS last day. :P Didnt know that you werent in Guildrooster, and could'nt read the guildchat. I was the one saying "ill kick you in the balls of you dont stop breathing now" or something like that. :P

Kirsty
18-04-2005, 09:55
I've been using the following Monk/Ranger build which has done pretty well for a first time around:

Divine Favor: 11
Healing Prayers: 10
Beast Mastery: 10

- Dwayna's Kiss
- Heal Other
- Heal Party / Fertile Season
- Divine Healing
- Healing Seed
- Healing Breeze
- Antidote Signet
- Martyr

Martyr+Antidote Signet on self = gna gna gna. Couple it with healing breeze on self to counter bleeding effect and you've got your entire party uncrippled, unwounded, unpoisoned, undiseased, etc.

Fertile Season only if the group is mainly ranged or has -opponent armor curses.

plottski
18-04-2005, 11:22
Well if you had to choose between taking me as a monk and going a person short. Go with a person short you would live longer lol. Anyway great job to all you new monks. I rarely asked my self wheres my healing other than the times i was off doing dumb things alone when I kill over. I would like to maybe build a protection monk. Maybe I will see Darc in alpha for some tips.

Kirsty
18-04-2005, 11:48
I had a lot of problems healing sometimes when we were only with two monks and people were spreading out too much. In tombs I often found Minelle under constant fire so I regularly focused my seed, breeze and dwayna on her and kept track of one or two other people nearby with heal other.
Since my energy pool isn't that high I would run out of energy too fast to keep other people healed with heal other and I had to do with dwayna (which is luckily better then orison and heal party).

Result was often that 2 or 3 people were out of my reach and doomed to slowly die. :( I think that if I were to make a monk/mesmer I could steal enough energy to regenerate quickly enough for better healing, but the martyr/antidote signet idea of mine worked very well so I stuck with that at the end of the BWE.

I'm curious how Minelle handles her energy as a Monk/mesmer.

Trancinghof
18-04-2005, 12:01
I'm curious how Minelle handles her energy as a Monk/mesmer.

Maybe shes got Energy drain? ;D

Zero
18-04-2005, 12:03
Minelle was constantly in need of energy. Two monks is usually suffice if the enemy focus fire, but thats really for the monks to decide. The people who were running off needed to stay back and in range if they're way to far from the party do not abandon the party to heal that one. Even though i was one of those people....but thats because i was constantly priest/hero hunting and i had siphon/transfer combo :D
Aire from GWO had an excellent monk build, he managed to keep 12 enchantments up at once AND spam heal party non-stop. He regularily said he had so much mana he could never even dent his energy bar.
He carried blessed signet (which gave lots of mana) and essence bond (which was cast on everyone and their grandmother o_0). With people getting hit so often he always had max mana and if it did ever get low, blessed signet would be cast.
He was able to spam heal party none stop with this combo (and several other heal skills) which meant he could hide in a dark corner somewhere out of the way.

Edit: Someone carrying Blood is Power greatly helps as well. Keeping a BiP chain on a monk (the monk heals necro straight away after cast) allows for easy spammability.

Alexiel
18-04-2005, 12:13
Maybe shes got Energy drain? ;D

I use Energy Tap with my Mo/Me characters. It was literally life saving in at least one Tombs match in the final BWE. I heard Minelle say she was out of energy and since then I refuse to get rid of tap.

I use word of healing at the moment which is elite and is sort of a cross between orison and heal other (depending on their health). I generally use Heal other as an emergency heal when they're near death. Elite meaning Energy Drain (with a shorter cast time and slightly more energy drain) is not an option as it is elite as well. Stealing with 2 ranks in Energy Tap yields 9 energy. The spells costs 5 but takes 2 seconds to cast (which I admit diminishes its effectiveness slightly) though it always seems that regen while casting ends up giving my energy a decent jump. (Rank 4 = 10 energy).

When you say Dwayna, do you mean Dwayna's Kiss? I haven't used that as I don't like touch-required spells. I have enough trouble with keeping everyone in range as it is.

Back to energy management, perhaps I cast too often unnecessarily (I'm not terribly good at judging healing power) but with one or two other monks the load is significantly less.

Energy related: One monk in a party of 6 is really, really hard for the monk. 8 is probably impossible.

I do suffer from the 'no damage' issue and am a sitting duck. I Symbol of Wrath as a deterrant but it's not nearly as effective as I'd like.

Isamoth
18-04-2005, 13:22
I was rather put-off by the comment so thank you for the apology Trancinghof.

I mostly played in 4-6 person parties as solo healer so I haven't really worked with the monk in stuff like tombs yet. I simply picked the basic 'healer monk' from the pvp pre-builds and customized my wares to suit me.

Weapon set 1: 69 energy, 2 pip energy regen
Weapon set 2: 45 energy, 4 pip energy regen

12 +1 - healing prayers
12 - divine favor
3 - Earth Magic

Orison of Healing
Word of Healing
Remove Hex
Restore Life
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Healing Breeze
Healing Seed
tried out Kinetic Armor but would probably use something else

This build was really effective against just about all enemy group builds. Lots of cheap spells let me dish out a lot of healing quickly for low cost, using healing breeze or lesser energy + seed for when they concentrated on someone. I could also tank very well even with several warriors hitting me. Only once or twice the entire time I played this monk did I completely run out of energy, and that was when I was spamming spells as fast as could.

This seems to be a rather basic, straightforward build. Would utilizing enchantments along with energy management techniques be a better long term/ large group solution?

Minelle Tempest
18-04-2005, 20:26
Seems like I should pop by and share my experiences. :D

Anyway.. I've been playing monk primary since November (I think), though with different secondaries. For PvE, I've been forced to rely on what spells I've been able to lay my hands on, so PvP-ing this weekend was quite a revelation for me (with the unlocking feature..).

My main concern as monk is usually the lack of energy that I find myself in when the party (or me... err, mostly me :p ) is taking lots of damage. Which is why I opted to try a mesmer secondary. However, I found that I simply didn't have the time to cast energy tap (3 sec cast time), which eventually meant that I didn't use any mesmer skills at all.. Meh, I'll just have to look at something else for my secondary - haven't decided what. That said, I used the following set up for my monk:

Divine Favour: 12
Healing Prayers: 12
(I know I had some plus to either of those, too.. but I can't remember which one)

1. Orison of Healing
2. Dwayna's Kiss
3. Word of Healing (elite)
4. Signet of Devotion
5. Healing Touch
6. Healing Seed
7. Healing Breeze
8. Resurrect

This worked ok I guess.. I still have some learning to do to make it work even better. :lol:

I think I had something more to say on this topic, but my brain is still not functioning properly due to lack of sleep. I guess I'll have to come back later when I remember what that something was... :scratch:

Natalya Dawn
18-04-2005, 20:29
I was a monk during the last few gvg games of the BWE with xircon. Let me tell U, against a very good team, monks can be a challenge. Many good teams will go straight for your monk, in which case, U better know how to press some panic buttons. For me, it was a bit interesting, I remember in one match I used sprint (yes sprint, I was a Mo/W ;) like 6 times to rattle the warriors off me, it actually worked out quite well cuz they'd stop following me, of course, doing this WHILE healing other party members is an even greater challenge! U must be quick on Ur feet! I encourage people to try playing as a healer, U will see that against some very good teams U can really start to sweat, well there's my two cents.

Kirsty
18-04-2005, 21:33
My main concern as monk is usually the lack of energy that I find myself in when the party (or me... err, mostly me :p ) is taking lots of damage. Which is why I opted to try a mesmer secondary. However, I found that I simply didn't have the time to cast energy tap (3 sec cast time), which eventually meant that I didn't use any mesmer skills at all.I have considered making a monk/mesmer for the energy stealing abilities but in the end I didn't go for it after all. I'm expected to heal the party continuously and stopping to steal mana... I don't know, I didn't think it would work out well. Maybe I have to do some testing with the different energy stealing skills.

I can't really remember why I got to the ranger option for secondary class, but I found the martyr-antidote signet kind of funky to have around, and it worked well.

When you say Dwayna, do you mean Dwayna's Kiss? I haven't used that as I don't like touch-required spells. I have enough trouble with keeping everyone in range as it is.Dwayna's Kiss isn't touch based but it does recharge slower than orison of healing. Dwayna's Kiss adds healing when the target is hexed or enchanted and since every party member has some of those when being attacked or protected I found that it out-performs orison of healing easily.

Healing Breeze on yourself helps decently to protect you from continuous low damage attacks but once you're up against more than two fighters it's a certain death. I tried Monk/Elementalist for ward against melee and ward against elements which does work well but it's not perfect. I took obsidian flame with that as a finisher skill but I found it was havoc on the maximum energy.

Beowulf
18-04-2005, 21:36
I am torn between a nice hack and slash character or a monk. If need be I can put together a monk for healing in pvp though I do not plan on pvping right away after the games release. Once i get more a hang of things then I will pvp for sure.

willowblades
18-04-2005, 21:46
I am torn between a nice hack and slash character or a monk. If need be I can put together a monk for healing in pvp though I do not plan on pvping right away after the games release. Once i get more a hang of things then I will pvp for sure. I am thinking monk/warrior specialized in a few healing alot of defence enchantments and total sword, I think it will be very interesting :D this is a monk primary warrior secondary not a paladin like I saw hundreds of in beta more like a ninja I guess :p I know sounds lame and no I am not into the L33t crap. :happy34:

Balazaar
19-04-2005, 01:26
"We need another monk".

Well, I enjoyed playing monks in the Tomb runs this BWE... I'll pass on the credit for this to Undead really since I started with one of his PvP builds that he posted on the forum. Over the multiple days of playing I did numerous changes to a few of the skills (trying different things)... but I never would have had the knowledge of the game to have come up with the build from the beginning, and it more than likely I wouldn't have even done any PvP runs this BWE at all. Thanks again undead... :worship: