PDA

View Full Version : (Merged) fraps or other video recording programs...

kawana
09-04-2005, 09:50
does anyone know what program they used for those gameplay video's from the beta weeks. I tried Fraps(full version) but even with my fast computer (p4, 2.5gh 100gb) it still lags while im recording in my game. it goes from 60fps to 3fps right away. I dont know whats going on. anyone know whats wrong, or possibly another, better program i can use that will cause no lag, or at least not very much.

Excel
09-04-2005, 10:33
how are you recording, which resolution? a 7200rpm HD is recommended for 640*480 & 800*600. For higher resolutions, 10k rpm HD and above.

To increase performance set GW to windowed mode and adjust to to 640*480 for instance and have Fraps record in full resolution. Using the "record in half resolution" feature is not as good as playing in the resolution you want to record in, it decreases framerate. Some have performance issues with fraps and succeed better in capturing videos with gamecam, for me it was the other way around. I can generally always keep my fps above 25 in 640*480 unless extreme rendering requirements like the end of a beta event in LA dis1.

kawana
09-04-2005, 20:29
uh sorry i dont know lots bout computers, how do set the resolution?

Yalinya
09-04-2005, 20:53
One of the in-game options lets you set the resolution GW runs at.

bonesrool
09-04-2005, 22:11
Go to the GW login screen.
Down at the bottom right hand corner is the button you want, double click it and you can set the game screen resolution and all the other stuff. Most of what you can alter there will, if you have vid probs, change the game play immensely.

To play in a window..
When you are in the login page you will see three little squares up in the right hand corner, click the middle one to change to window mode. Clicking it again will revert to full screen mode.

Have fun
;-p

Ander Moonshadow
10-04-2005, 01:30
are there free versions of those programs? If so, where can I download one?

I plan to make a movie of next beta :)

Vexion
10-04-2005, 03:34
Here (http://www.download.com/Fraps/3000-2121_4-10317210.html?tag=lst-0-1) fraps is kinda crappy though, good luck.

DamnedWraith
10-04-2005, 06:54
yea,fraps stinks. Try doing a search on google... *shrugs*

Excel
10-04-2005, 09:45
heh, what's wrong with fraps, try get the same quality with gamecam! please suggest other programs and explain what's bad about fraps

EDIT/
Ander don't get that old version of fraps! www.fraps.com for the newest...

Ander Moonshadow
10-04-2005, 15:08
thanks Excel... heh heh.. I'll be trying it out

Ander Moonshadow
10-04-2005, 18:16
another question: any good free video editing programs?

kawana
10-04-2005, 22:54
i have fraps full version when im recording stuff it does from 30fps to 3fps right away, i dont know whats wrong. ihave a fast computer. 2.5gh p4 etc.. i dont know whats wrong with it. Yet with the demo version it worked fine, 30fps no problem what am i doing wrong?

Quartermaine Dionysus
10-04-2005, 23:03
I've had this problem with the full version of fraps too. I cant tell you how to fix it but I do recommend downloading the full version of GameCam from this link http://www.planetgamecam.com/

So far I havent had any speed problems with Game Cam.

kawana
10-04-2005, 23:30
ya, the full version of Gamecam works great for me too, and tips on how to get the quality up higher though. the pictures look good, but any text looks blurred and unreadable, is there any way to enable sound?

Quartermaine Dionysus
10-04-2005, 23:59
ya, the full version of Gamecam works great for me too, and tips on how to get the quality up higher though. the pictures look good, but any text looks blurred and unreadable, is there any way to enable sound?

My text shows up fine. I dont record sound for GW but I did notice "Toggle Audio capture" under the hot keys option.

Vexion
11-04-2005, 00:12
IMO fraps has always been unreliable. Maybe it was because I had an older version or something, but the frame rate at which it recorded was terrible. I think I was getting like 5-6 frames a second, and I have a relatively solid computer. I guess it could have been improved, but the version I had just didn't give me the quality finish I would have liked.

Ander Moonshadow
11-04-2005, 02:36
I just tried it out, not on gw of course (among others on the main screen tho) and it did have a solid frame rate and nice quality.

kawana
11-04-2005, 04:28
will that make the quality any better? i have the game settings all on the highest they'll go, and the quality is set on max on gamecam also

kawana
11-04-2005, 05:17
aside from Fraps, and gamecam are there any other good video capturing programs, ones with good quality. I have a fast computer but no matter what i do the fps always goes from like 60 to 6-10 fps. its bugging the heck out of me. Gamecam is so-so, it doesn't lag too bad, but the quality is crap, even with the settings turned to the highest i still cant read any writing on the screen. any suggestions?

Dukan
11-04-2005, 06:56
I'm wondering about this, too. I was just playing around with Fraps and the Guild Wars login screen. Everytime I started recording it gets jumpy. That little camera dolly in and out and the flames gets choppy looking. Didn't seem to matter what settings I used.

I also tried Camtasia. It's jumpy, too. It says to get smoother recordings to select the option to disable hardware acceleration when recording. But then Guild Wars won't start. Frustrating.

I'm running a 2.4 gb P4, o.c to 2.88 gb, 1 gb ram, with a Geforce FX5200, 128 mb.

Anyone got any suggestions?

[edit]- I see there are some other threads about this. I tried Fraps on a couple of other games. The image quality is nice, but it's just not smooth enough for my liking. I guess I'll try Game Cam.

Dukan
11-04-2005, 07:41
Just tried Game Cam. Not that impressed.... same jerky motion as Fraps. Man, is it that tough to make a gameplay capture program that just captures the screen the way you see it?

Oh, well.

Excel
11-04-2005, 07:42
You need a fast HD to capture at higher resolutions smoothly. For best performance play with GW in windowed mode and adjust the window to 640*480 or smaller. If you still get really crap framerates there could be another progarm interfering with the capture I know when I have my download/upload meter running in the background I get 1-2fps while recording. Close all non essential programs and see if you get any higher framerate.

Just as an example with everything non essential closed I get max 31fps in the login screen while recording in 640*480, 4xAA, 16xAF. That is about ~8mb/s which is required of the HD

AMD barton 3000+ @ 2,4GHz
9800XT
1GB RAM
7200rpm HD

EDIT/
PS. Dukan your graphics card is not good... could be because of it here's an extensive comparison (http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-05.html )

Dukan
11-04-2005, 08:23
Thanks for the tips, Excel. I'll try them out. Yeah, I know my graphics card isn't the best. But in regular gameplay it works just fine. And I've got a Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm hard drive. I've never had problems capturing video with it. ;)

Dukan
11-04-2005, 09:01
Excel, running it in windowed mode with Fraps seems to have done the trick. I sized the window around 800x600 and got smooth animation and clear text on the Guild Wars login screen. Trouble I'm having now is rendering it out to another format. With DivX and Xvid I get a geen cast to the whole video stream... it's weird. Don't know if it has to do with the fraps codec or what. Too tired to fool with it tonight, though. Thanks again for the advice.

SonOfRah
11-04-2005, 12:48
heh, what's wrong with fraps, try get the same quality with gamecam! please suggest other programs and explain what's bad about fraps

well, if you plan on distributing your video with ultra high quality (ie: 100-200mb for a 3 min movie) fraps is the way to go. However after compression there really isn't much difference between the two. I can get similar quality encodes regardless of whether or not the source was obtained from fraps or gamecam.

Distribution wise, you really want the encode to be around 13-15mb/min. Any more and it starts becomming hard to actually distribute it well.

The trick is not to use gamecam's default avi codec (MPEG 4 V2). Instead runit through a few filters to clean the picture up a bit, and re-encode it into xvid or something. Works perfectly fine.