PDA

View Full Version : New To Guild Wars? Got Questions? We've got answers!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Vortimer
19-04-2005, 17:39
Hi everyone. Im not english so I apologize for my spelling.
I've been recently watching the WoW forums and lots of people want to switch from WoW to GW. They say it is a great game, and I downloaded some videos to see how it is. But im quite a bit dissappointed. The graphics look ok, but the animations seem bad. I saw a video where a guy was swinging his weapon over and over with the same animation, and it didnt look very fun at all. Im thinking of buying GW and cancelling my WoW account, but im not sure after watching this. :(
My questions are:
1. Is this game fun? If someone has played PSO please tell me, because i was a great fan of this game. If it is similar i would like to buy GW.
2. Good graphics? The video seemed to have worst graphics than wow, not that it matters because fun>>>graphics, just curious.
3. Is it worth it? I know this is not a hardcore player oriented game, but still has good content for hardcore players as me. Im trying to convince my friends so that they come to the game, but after watching the video they dont want to switch from WoW to GW.
Basically, what im looking for is a good game similar to PSO so that you dont have to farm 423423 hours to get the best weapon or armor. And more important, a very fun and long life game, just dont want to get tired of playing it after 1 week.
Thanks for the answers! :howdy: :clap:

Thul Rasha
19-04-2005, 17:58
There are a lot of low quality and low framerate videos around for download. I advise you to not base your opnion on them.

The general consensus is that the GW graphics are better that those of WoW, especially the characters.

Now you were talking about animations, in GW they all look very smooth, but I can't realy remember if there was only 1 animation for swinging a sword. If there was, I didn't notice it.
It could be that there is only 1 animation, but I would be surprised. That would mean that they spend more time on the emote animations than the combat animations. That sounds a bit weird for a combat oriented game, don't you think?

If you like PvP, then I can guarantee you that you won't be disapointed after 1 week.
If you like adventuring more, then I'm sure you will last longer than a week, even longer than a month. After that, I realy don't know.

Neo Alastor
19-04-2005, 18:11
Here's something that I read somewhere:

WoW(World of Warcraft) vs. Guild Wars
Ok. So you have WoW in one hand and you have GW in the other. What to play? What to do?

Personally i dont think there should even be a debate about this because GW wins all the medals. GW is still a Gameinprogress and is still running its BETA's while WoW, a highly anticipated game with more fans than players, is out on the market. Now tell me, why would WoW have to compete with a game thats not even done?
Ill tell you why. WoW costs $50 in the store and a good $25-50 in online fees. THATS TOTAL I3UI_I_$#!T. GW is a revolution. FREE ONLINE MMORPG!!! But lets not get too excited. There are plenty of rational reasons why GW is better
First of all,anyone who has played in any of the BETA events and has played WoW will tell you that the GW graphics are WAY better. Sure, WoW is impressive and it has a deep background and developed story, and making a mmorpg for the Warcraft Saga is like putting spinners on an Escalade, but what else does Blizzard have to offer? They did absolutly nothing with the mmorpg line (except for crafting items) But seriously folks, do you honestly think that the ability to craft items wont show up in EQ2? they thought of it too, and if they didnt, it tells you how far the MMORPG world would have gone without GW. WoW is nearly the same as all other games of WoWkind. Seriously, this is kind of what i expected from a company thats done great things: to screw up. What other mmorpg experience does Bliz have? Diablo? sure diablo was great, but im talking the modern day stuff, like EQ. I am a hardcore BLIZZARD fan, and i think that Blizzard should have stuck to strategy games.
Gamplay is a big factor in this debate. You have long and tedious hours of nonstop action which gets your exp bar up 2%. Then you have travel time. Then more fighting to get your bar up 2%. Then you need to pay some precious $$$ for some potions. Then more 2% fighting. If this only bothers me, someone flame me. It takes hours just to go up one level. I dont want to spend hours trying to get up a rank or to have fun. With GW its a differnent story and those of you that have played it will agree. NONESTOP FUN. the only pitstops ull be making is to sell your items of craft a piece of armor. (which, btw, is now a simplified process and isnt overcomplicated by some c-rap that takes hours.) And better yet, levels dont matter. You can be level 5 and still go exploring and fighting with your lvl 20 buddies. Its all about SKILL SKILL SKILL the way every mmorpg should be. But dont despair, all you skilless people, GW provides a INSTANTLY FUN experience for even the most unexperienced gamer, something that WoW doesnt offer.
Honstly i could sit here and ramble all day. Many people will agree with me and many wont. BUT when you add up all of the other posts in this thread and test both games without bias, you WILL be convinced that GW is better. I mean, the only reason people will continue to play WoW is because theyre hooked on a drug called WArcraft, and out of personall experience thats true. Maybe oneday if WoW becomes free, ill open a side account to play it while GW server is shut down for updates. ( oh wait i forgot, thatll never happen with GW will it?)

By 5Zigen
Man if GW got in a fight with WoW... It would be pretty crazy. WoW would probably start saying weird things and being like... all theatrical and raising its hands up and down. GW would be like "WTF are you doing" and WoW would be all "I'm making a BLIZZARD" and about then GW would smack WoW because hes an idiot. And since WoW is so slow, GW would probably punch him in the face before he could do anything.

WoW would be all upset too, because he thinks he has some divine gaming powers, but since he just stole everything he was good at from mostly other mmo's he would be pretty easy to predict. He might try to kick GW or something, but GW would totally see it coming and grab his foot and break his knee. It would be pretty tough for WoW to fight back after that too.

GW would totally beat WoW's ***. Man I don't see how anyone would play WoW after reading that.

Seriously though, wow is just blizzards take on everquest. Crafting doesnt add depth, it adds a boring timesink. GW doesnt lack depth, WoW lacks any sense of competition or balance.

by Shinsei
no comparison. If you play games to have fun, GW is for you. If you play games so you can press your favorite key a thousand times, WoW is for you.

SaborWolf
19-04-2005, 18:13
if you play, or have seen screenshots of Brothers in Arms, GW looks just like that, except it runs SOOOO MUCH BETTER!, GW is BEAUTIFUL to look at

as for animations, everything is fluid and smooth, but a warrior swinging his sword looks 1 way, each time, until he does a special or some other skill, swings sword differently, i do think however it should be more star wars galaxie'ish where it has 2 or 3 animations for the default actions, like swinging a sword, or shooting the bow, aim it half sideways, aim it vertically, rather than just vertically every time, put a bit of variety in there

but all in all the game is excellent and well worth any price up to 75 bucks USD in my oppinion

Bow Titan
19-04-2005, 18:19
GW all the way it is no contest just put ur WoW in the toys for tots box and ship it off i've heard about WoW but i actually never heard anything "great" about it but on the other hand GW, Gw is the epitimy of the gaming industry right now and anyone who doubts its greatness has a serious progblem with chooseing goo things.!!!

Graphics are great
game play is fantastic
and yes the game is totally worth it...!

Thul Rasha
19-04-2005, 18:20
@Neo Alastor

Fanbois are scary :p
I don't mean you, I mean the writer of that post you quoted.

It's realy all about opinion.
Especially if you can get past the cartoonish characters, then WoW can be a lot of fun.

@SaborWolf

I know you said up to 75, but Vortimer is ESL, so before he reads you post the wrong way, I would like to clarify that GuildWars only costs $50 USD (or 40 Euro).

M-Totenkopf
19-04-2005, 18:30
no there is lots of animations in the warriors part, fro expample final Thrust and sever artery are differents sometimes is so fast we dont see it. from time to time in normal swings of the sword u will see 2 or 3 more animations that i really know, but maybe there are more. the problem with harcore (like me, i like the formulas and the builds.) is that we have been playing beta so i dont know for sure if it will keep me in the 24/7 thinking in the game. but they will renew everything from time to time so i have read before. wich i assume they ment to say new armors haircuts new animations ect.ect something like Halflife 2 with the mods million of mods outthere.

hey i am a big fan of diablo 2 and i tell u something i do love GW too. :happy34:

Streifer
19-04-2005, 18:48
This is really a funny topic.... U r asking if GW is a good game compared to other MMORPG's. This is coming from a website that is full of people who already love this game and can't wait to play the release. I don't think there r too many people that r playing Everquest or Star Wars Galaxies even looking at this forum. :idea:

Anyways, i am a WoW player {60 rogue} and have just gotten bored of it so am looking into guild wars. From the sounds of it {in my opinion}, GW might be a better investment. :happy14: I am just curious as to how many expansions will be coming out for this game.

Hope to c some of u online on the 28th though :clap:

Martian
19-04-2005, 19:23
I have probably put about 100 hours into WoW now and of those 100 hour I would say that only about 10-20 of them were actually fun. The rest were mindless grind, or picking flowers, or fishing, on mining, or running here only to have to run back to there, or running to retrive my corpse because 10 guys respawned on top of me, or waiting for the quest objective to respawn.

Guild Wars is the exact opposite. Between E34E, WPE, and all of the Beta events I have probably put about 100 hours into GW and of those 100 hours I would say that 95+ were spent having fun. The only times that aren't fun are when you are trying to form a group or waiting for friends to join your group.

The real difference between Guild Wars and WoW though is the experience. After a tough PvE battle and in almost every PvP match I find that my heart is racing, and my hands are starting to sweat. It's an intense feeling as you watch your health bar sink to single digits right as you land a final thrust killing your enemy. Just as a monk heals you so you can move on to the next unlucky foe. It's such an intense experience and it's tons of fun.

I can honestly say I never saw that type of adrenaline pumping, edge of you seat action in WoW. In my opinion WoW is for gamers with a heart condition. It's fun and all but it never really reaches the point of excitment.

Did I enjoy playing WoW? Yep sure did. Do I think Guild Wars is more fun and a much better value? Without a doubt. Does WoW's graphics look like Saturday morning cartoons? They sure do! When does my WoW subscription end? April 28th. Coincidence? well, I started WoW on Jan 28th so yes but I'll take it as a sign!

Martian

Vortimer
19-04-2005, 20:27
Yes, I know it is absurd to ask if GW is a good game in a GW forum, but I also asked in the WoW forum which one was better and the only argument they had was WoW>>>GW no matter what you say. I like one thing about this, and that's the community. It seems much more mature than WoW where the nerf xxxx or ban xxx people threads dominate the forums. Im tired of that kind of people and im looking for a fun experience with a mature community behind it. Thanks a lot for your answers, im definitely buying GW and I will try to convince my friends to come with me, i've only heard good things about this game. :worship:

Pedaalemmerzak
19-04-2005, 21:07
Yeah, that video of the Warrior scared the sh*t out of me and my friend too. I really thought this game would be darn boring, until I played the January beta, and I'm hooked since (so is my friend, btw. He wanted to buy WoW before, and we played a beta of that together after the January beta of GW, and he was convinced this was waaaaay better)

I think that video of GW shows how boring it would be if it was anywhere near WoW.

Thervold
19-04-2005, 21:08
I've played on a friend pass for WoW as well as the last few BWE events for GW. I had fun with both and for different reasons.

WoW takes traditional MMORPG approach. You have time to mold your character and see it grow. However, I heard it becomes much more grinding as you get higher in levels. Still, many people like to play a game that can absorb their lives for 40+ hours/week and they'll probably enjoy WoW more. Some people like the feeling of power of being able to defeat the majority of their fellow players in PvP simply because the time they have put into their character. This is much more feasible in WoW then in GW due to the low level cap and lack of uber items in GW.

GW can still absorb your life, but in a different way. Instead of trying to level up your character to get better, you create new builds, play around with skill combinations, and try various tactics depending on the battle. For those who like traditional RPGs, GW has a much more in depth storyline then WoW. And for those who love PvP, again, GW has many more options available then in WoW. I have to say that the graphics in GW are simply amazing. Numerous times I have simply enjoyed the scenery in between battles, and the majority of my screenshots are of breathtaking landscapes that I did not find in WoW.

Also as said before, every GW PvP battle I've taken place in is action packed and full of fun, and it's accessible within the first day of playing. In WoW, you have to get to a fairly high level before you can effectively PvP outside of simple duals. Never obtaining a sufficient level to be more then arrow fodder, I can't comment on the PvP of WoW.

Martian
19-04-2005, 21:19
I like one thing about this, and that's the community. It seems much more mature than WoW where the nerf xxxx or ban xxx people threads dominate the forums. Im tired of that kind of people and im looking for a fun experience with a mature community behind it.
I fear that the maturity level of GW players may take a noticable decline once the game releases. I hope that isn't the case but I fear that not having a monthly fee will make the game accesable to a greater number of idio...immature players.

With instanced missions, little grind, ignore lists, and chat filters. I don't see much room for annoying players to actually be very annoying so I think those that get their jollies from annoying others will lose interest fast.

At least we know the maturity level will remain high here at gwonline as there is little tolerance for anything less. I plan to group with friends and guild mates so I won't have to worry about immaturity (too much :winking47 )

Martian

Ghostlord
19-04-2005, 21:38
Yes, I know it is absurd to ask if GW is a good game in a GW forum, but I also asked in the WoW forum which one was better and the only argument they had was WoW>>>GW no matter what you say. I like one thing about this, and that's the community. It seems much more mature than WoW where the nerf xxxx or ban xxx people threads dominate the forums. Im tired of that kind of people and im looking for a fun experience with a mature community behind it. Thanks a lot for your answers, im definitely buying GW and I will try to convince my friends to come with me, i've only heard good things about this game. :worship:

That's because the vast majority of the WoW community are a bunch of 10year olds who had to steal their moms creditcard and sneak online late at night so they dont catch them playing. i mean just look at what the community playing warcraft 3 and diablo are made up of! :surprise: :surprise:

Pedaalemmerzak
19-04-2005, 21:48
i mean just look at what the community playing warcraft 3 and diablo are made up of! :surprise: :surprise:Hey, I'm 19 years old and dare say that Warcraft 3 is a very good game.
And WoW is just what Blizzard wanted it to be: an MMORPG set in the Warcraft universe, and a good one at that.
It's just the fact that the idea of the MMORPG is rather boring, and that is where GW comes in. Most people say GW isn't even an MMORPG, and I tend to agree with them. It's so much better than that.

Vortimer
19-04-2005, 22:14
I agree to a certain extent. I mean, mmorpgs are fun the first few days when you are discovering secrets, new dungeons and new movements for your character. But once you have learned all that and keep leveling up, you realize the game is starting to get bored after some time. This is what actually happened to me in WoW. The game was great for the first days, but then now im stuck at lvl 60 doing dungeon runs trying to get my equipment. I've been raiding the same dungeon for 1 month and still I dont have the item I want. It is just annoying and bored. PvP will be fun, but once everyone starts to get all the "uber" items there is going to be a great difference between casual players and hardcore players. I just want fast paced fun :happy65:

RushD
19-04-2005, 23:15
It shouldnt be a war since people from Anet actually worked on WoW it should be a friendly war.Just to see who sells more i actually was goin to play WoW till i found out about GW's dled it got a friends pass and been playing since Jan BWE.I like WoW even though i like GW's.WoW doesnt have the greatest/realiable server's but they do give some exicitment to all of those warcraft fans and MMORPG lovers.Its a MMORPG GW's isnt so it isnt a war.
April 27th Sneak Preview
April 28th Release
April 29th Hooked
All Your Base Belong To Us :D

Miyagi
20-04-2005, 01:32
Hey all.

I haven't seriously played a game since Diablo II (when I was like 14) and then found out about UO, just kinda stumbled upon it (actually on the box it looked quite queer). Played Diablo for a decent time then ended up playing UO for a a good 5+ years off and on. I played during dread days (it was almost better then sex) and I know nothing will ever compare. Anyway, I'll stop giving my background..here is my concern.

I've been following WoW and GW for a few good months now. WoW seems cool, but not sure if the PvP is where I'd like it to be, atleast from reading the forums. What I've read about GW is the PvP is great. Although I think I'm a fan of the true MMORPG that aren't instanced, ya know? I'm leaning towards GW but I'm kind of concerned about longevity. I mean. . .wouldn't it get kind of boring after about 3 months after you've done all instances and 100+ battles, no? Unless the PvP is really that good. .

HELP ME!

CharnelHouse
20-04-2005, 01:49
Well, without elaborating to terribly much (there is a wealth of info on this topic on these forums, just try some searches), YES the PvP is that good. The PvE is damn good too. As a matter of fact, this is the single best game I have ever played, and I have been playing Crpg's/Mommrpg's a lonnnngggg time.

Vortimer
20-04-2005, 03:12
Guys I would really appreciate if you answered a few more questions as im interested in some aspects of the game. I never played it so sorry for asking stupid questions but...
Do characters look different? I mean hairstyle, face, eyes, etc. I know you can buy dyes but im more interested in face looks.. if someone did play lineage 2 you know what i mean. That game was Lineage 2: The clone wars.
I would like to have long hair with some beard, is this possible? Thanks
:worship:

cherryblossom434
20-04-2005, 04:03
Guys I would really appreciate if you answered a few more questions as im interested in some aspects of the game. I never played it so sorry for asking stupid questions but...
Do characters look different? I mean hairstyle, face, eyes, etc. I know you can buy dyes but im more interested in face looks.. if someone did play lineage 2 you know what i mean. That game was Lineage 2: The clone wars.
I would like to have long hair with some beard, is this possible? Thanks
:worship:

Very customizable! Different faces, hair colours, skin colours and hairstyles for every primary profession :) I've seen many long haired male elementalists, but I'm a bit foggy for specifics because I prefer to play as a girl, which is what I am :happy14: lol

Chantal Dubois
20-04-2005, 04:08
This thread is for all of those that are new to the game, to ask questions, receive answers for common topics. We suggest you read through some of the questions that others have asked and if you still have questions, please feel free to post them here. Welcome to Guild Wars and the GWOnline.net community! :happy65:

Vortimer
20-04-2005, 04:21
This thread is for all of those that are new to the game, to ask questions, receive answers for common topics. We suggest you read through some of the questions that others have asked and if you still have questions, please feel free to post them here. Welcome to Guild Wars and the GWOnline.net community! :happy65:
Wow thanks a lot! I know this questions have been probably asked a million of times and it is annoying but I've been browsing the forum and didnt found answers so im going to bother some more people with two more questions. These are the last ones, I promise :lol: :lol:. So far, you guys have been very helpful.
I know GW has no quote and therefore im afraid of "hackers". I mean, games like WoW have a quote for server maintenance and cheats, and im afraid GW can turn into a cheating game. This probable doesnt make sense, but I guess they have a good support to prevent this...
Second, I just saw a Mesmer video. Im a big fan of magic in roleplaying games, and i was very very dissapointed with the way magic was represented in wow. Just small fireballs and simple graphics. The video was ok, nice magic effects, but I wonder if elementalists can cast "cool" looking spells like a flame circle or something of that kind. I like to roleplay with this kind of things... thanks in advance.

goblintrain
20-04-2005, 04:30
Hi everyone. Im not english so I apologize for my spelling.
I've been recently watching the WoW forums and lots of people want to switch from WoW to GW. They say it is a great game, and I downloaded some videos to see how it is. But im quite a bit dissappointed. The graphics look ok, but the animations seem bad. I saw a video where a guy was swinging his weapon over and over with the same animation, and it didnt look very fun at all. Im thinking of buying GW and cancelling my WoW account, but im not sure after watching this. :(
My questions are:
1. Is this game fun? If someone has played PSO please tell me, because i was a great fan of this game. If it is similar i would like to buy GW.
2. Good graphics? The video seemed to have worst graphics than wow, not that it matters because fun>>>graphics, just curious.
3. Is it worth it? I know this is not a hardcore player oriented game, but still has good content for hardcore players as me. Im trying to convince my friends so that they come to the game, but after watching the video they dont want to switch from WoW to GW.
Basically, what im looking for is a good game similar to PSO so that you dont have to farm 423423 hours to get the best weapon or armor. And more important, a very fun and long life game, just dont want to get tired of playing it after 1 week.
Thanks for the answers! :howdy: :clap:

Hmmm... i say GW is crazy fun, but then, i loved the game from the first moment i played it. I kept a WoW account for about 10 weeks, played about 6 of those 10. In this game you have missions, quests, explorable areas, and organized PvP contests.

The missions are nice because each one is a fairly structured adventure, with a clear objective, & nicely laid out challenges. They are really fun to go through, and repeatedly too. There is always new ways to try & beat them. Even though WoW has some instanced missions too, i would not compare them to the GW missions, they just play so differently. The decisions you make in overcoming challenges, & the quality of your teamwork, & even the skills you choose to bring are more important than your specific level or your equipment in completing these missions.

Inside the missions, in towns, & explorable areas you find smaller tasks we call quests in this game. These bear some resemblance to the WoW missions in that they are optional, and can be accomplished while doing something else. The main difference from the WoW quests is that they tend to be integrated with the game better imo. It is never a grueling, repetitive drama to complete them, and since these quests are not what drives your progress through the game anyway, you can take or leave them as you choose without fear of missing out on anything irreplacable to your character's development.

Explorable Areas. Would you believe there are players who actually build guilds around exploring, & collecting photo albums of screenshots they take on thier travels!? Does that sound crazy? If i had never played GW i would think people who did that were nuts, but even outside the missions, the world is that beautiful, & fun to explore! In fact, i would say that the coolest things in GW actually are found outside the missions.

I think exploration is one area where the benefits of the level cap really show. In GW your hero reaches maturity at a pace that allows her to travel just about anywhere her pretty lil feet will take her without your enjoyment being fettered because she is hopelessly outclassed, or wildly overpowered in any particular region she enters. I believe i could have turned a blind eye to all the other issues i had with WoW if i could have just grabbed my bow, whistled my faithful Hyena companion, & roamed the world in the bliss of freedom. But i couldn't! I was constantly prevented from interacting with the part of the game that i enjoyed most because the difficulty of every new place i entered being scaled to exclude players not of a particular level range. I missed so much in WoW because of this. When i first wanted to go to any particular place the area was too difficult. Then, later when i finally had a convenient opportunity to go back again it was no longer a challenge. Grrr!!! That right there more than anything else is what ruined WoW for me!

As far as those official game play movies... take them with a grain of salt. I think they are kind of lame too, & don't reflect what playing GW is like at all. Actually, the GW players make the best game-play movies! :clap: But in any event, at least on my machine, game play movies don't look nearly as good as the actual game does.

Is it worth it? Well, lets put it this way. $50 buys you WoW & 1 month to play it. $50 also buys you GW, & in theory at least, a life time to play it if that is what you really wanted to do.

Vortimer
20-04-2005, 04:34
Hmmm... i say GW is crazy fun, but then, i loved the game from the first moment i played it. I kept a WoW account for about 10 weeks, played about 6 of those 10. In this game you have missions, quests, explorable areas, and organized PvP contests.

The missions are nice because each one is a fairly structured adventure, with a clear objective, & nicely laid out challenges. They are really fun to go through, and repeatedly too. There is always new ways to try & beat them. Even though WoW has some instanced missions too, i would not compare them to the GW missions, they just play so differently. The decisions you make in overcoming challenges, & the quality of your teamwork, & even the skills you choose to bring are more important than your specific level or your equipment in completing these missions.

Inside the missions, in towns, & explorable areas you find smaller tasks we call quests in this game. These bear some resemblance to the WoW missions in that they are optional, and can be accomplished while doing something else. The main difference from the WoW quests is that they tend to be integrated with the game better imo. It is never a grueling, repetitive drama to complete them, and since these quests are not what drives your progress through the game anyway, you can take or leave them as you choose without fear of missing out on anything irreplacable to your character's development.

Explorable Areas. Would you believe there are players who actually build guilds around exploring, & collecting photo albums of screenshots they take on thier travels!? Does that sound crazy? If i had never played GW i would think people who did that were nuts, but even outside the missions, the world is that beautiful, & fun to explore!

I think exploration is one area where the benefits of the level cap really show. In GW your hero reaches maturity at a pace that allows your hero to travel just about anywhere her pretty lil feet will take her without your enjoyment being fettered because she is hopelessly outclassed, or wildly overpowered in any particular region she enters. I believe i could have turned a blind eye to all the other issues i had with WoW if i could have just grabbed my bow, whistled my faithful Hyena companion, & roamed the world in the bliss of freedom. But i couldn't! I was constantly prevented from interacting with the part of the game that i enjoyed most because the difficulty of every new place i entered was scaled to exclude players not of a particular level range. I missed so much in WoW because of this. When i first wanted to go to any particular place the area was too difficult. Then, later when i finally had a convenient opportunity to go back again it was no longer a challenge. Grrr!!! That right there more than anything else is what ruined WoW for me!

As far as those official game play movies... take them with a grain of salt. I think they are kind of lame too, & don't reflect what playing GW is like at all. Actually, the GW players make the best game-play movies! :clap: But in any event, at least on my machine, game play movies don't look nearly as good as the actual game does.

Is it worth it? Well, lets put it this way. $50 buys you WoW & 1 month to play it. $50 also buys you GW, & in theory at least, a life time to play it if that is what you really wanted to do.
Whoa! very interesting and constructive post, i couldnt stop reading!. Thanks :worship: :worship: :worship:

cherryblossom434
20-04-2005, 05:01
...but I wonder if elementalists can cast "cool" looking spells like a flame circle or something of that kind. I like to roleplay with this kind of things... thanks in advance.

I doubt anyone could really describe just how much fun it is to watch the spells elementalists are capable of casting: Sending lava spitting out of the ground, lighting enemies on fire, making fire rain from the sky...even the enchantments provide some awesome effects. My suggestion would be to take a look through the screenshots on GWonline and see for yourself.
Here's a couple of shots of skills being used:
http://www.gwonline.net/screenshots/index.php?type=beta&id=1507
http://www.gwonline.net/screenshots/index.php?type=beta&id=1413
http://www.gwonline.net/screenshots/index.php?type=beta&id=1194

bonesrool
20-04-2005, 06:03
Welcome to GW and welcome to the forums m8.

The great things about GW, well....

You have a dual classed char from day 1.
You have a large range of skills 'of both classes' available from the get go. But you cannot use them all from the get go either. They are made available as you journey through the game.
You have an absolutely insane amount of skill combos at your disposal, that it's not funny.
You will probably have a coronary trying to make that 'uber' skill combo that everyone else didn't think of. Only to find that someone else has already got it covered.
You have access to an astounding forum here and the help is freely given...along with some occasional terse commentary too...lol
You have the choice of four chars atm, as the game is still beta, and that, plus skills, is enough to keep you busy for quite some time.

You have the benefit of an amazing streaming technology that almost seamlessly, pursuant to computer specs and internet connection, adds new content to you hard drive as you play the game.

You have, in a word, a stunning game and stunning technology that is available to you for just for the purchase price of the game.

You have a game that is very enjoyable and one that can be played for an hour or two a day, or one that could become your second home.

Enjoy it m8
;-p

Efflixi
20-04-2005, 06:23
Well you said you wanted the oppinion from somone who played PSO, I used to play PSO, I loved it and I love guildwars even more. Which would be a huge task for gw to do since I have like 500 hours on pso.

I reccomend getting it and playing until your eyers bleed, ears go deaf, you cant move your hands, and you drop dead and die next to the screen. :D
So, yah, its worth it. :)

Psyon
20-04-2005, 19:23
hello everyone I just wanted to stop bye and ask if any of you had previously played everquest and how Guild Wars compared. I quit playing eq about 3 months ago and have been looking for a new game and this one sounds awesome. Just wanted to see if any of you would recommend it (even though im sure you will) :happy53:

Shinra
20-04-2005, 19:34
I didn't personally, but one of my friends use to play Everquest. He said it was an addiction and it wasn't really enjoyable.

Guildwars to him is the best thing ever, INCLUDING sliced bread :p

Merls The Sneaky
20-04-2005, 19:36
You should listen to Shinra, he has a cool name :P

Shinra
20-04-2005, 19:45
You should listen to Shinra, he has a cool name :P

Thats what I keep telling people! /sigh

Seems cool names just aren't enough for people nowadays :confused:

Ghostlord
20-04-2005, 19:53
I played everquest since the beta up until just before the PoP expansion,when i got fed up with luclin grind-a-thon's (sure you know what i mean :happy53: ).
I played a monk and shaman mainly,and a enchanter on the side (basically because enchanters never had to worry about finding a group or anything,and AEgroups are fun too :happy14: ).

Anyway,Guildwars compared to EQ is like night and day...

GW has a faster pace (you cap max level in a few days playtime,BUT thats when the great part starts,unlocking skills,pvp,exploring,questing and improving gear)

GW has a better plan for expansions,since AN plan to base the main part of their income from expansions rather than monthly fee+humongous leveling time,i think the expansions will be well worth the money (since if they're not,people wont buy them,and thats AN's only source of income)
And speaking of expansions,it's been said they're planning to release one every 6-9 months,with is about 3 times as often as the EQ does.so even if you grow bored in the beginning (which is unlikely) chances are you'll find new things to do in the expansions. remember how small Norrath was in the beta's? Yep,thats how it goes.

GW Has a better skill system. Ever heard of the holy trio in EQ? yeah,sure you have,its a cleric,an enchanter and a warrior,without the three no group can exist efficiently (possibly replace warrior with SK or paladin,but thats about it). In GW you have dualclassing,so you can be sure theres almost always some form of healing,some form of support,and some form of tanking to be had,rather than having to chase down a exact type of character,for a tank you can choose between Warrior/monk,Warrior/ranger,Warrior/necromancer or Warrior/elementalist. or you can get more monks and have someone with warrior as subclass do it.

GW Has better pvp. Well not too hard,since EQ has no pvp at all (not counting the Zek servers and duels here).

So the classes in GW,explained in EQ terms are:

Warrior = Warrior
Mesmer = Enchanter
Necromancer = Necromancer
Monk = Cleric
Ranger = Ranger
Elementalist = Wizard

now,the fun part begins...mix two of them. pick 8 skills (no more,no less),and see what you can come up with!

Dryyk
20-04-2005, 19:54
Dryyk > Shinra ;)

If you liked the Grinding for levels then don't buy Guild Wars.

If you like the idea of instanced missions (only you and your group in the mission with the monsters) then get Guild Wars.

If you like the idea of competing in Guild vs. Guild combat then get Guild Wars.

If you like the idea of PvP, in general, then get Guild Wars.

Dryyk
20-04-2005, 19:57
Warrior = Warrior
Mesmer = Enchanter
Necromancer = Necromancer
Monk = Cleric
Ranger = Ranger

The Mesmer is more or less a different kind of Necro rather than an Enchanter they have Hexes and what not.. weren't Enchanters the buffers of EQ? Maybe I'm just mistaken though.

Ghostlord
20-04-2005, 20:14
The Mesmer is more or less a different kind of Necro rather than an Enchanter they have Hexes and what not.. weren't Enchanters the buffers of EQ? Maybe I'm just mistaken though.

Enchanters in eq are buffers,crowdcontrollers,mana tappers and main source of AoE stuns (via the color spell). And of course source of attack speed buffs,mana regen and such,but to claim all they do is buff is faulty.

enchanters in eq also had debuffs,like slows and such.

Joe_Synner
20-04-2005, 20:15
dont forget the Elementalists!!

Dribble
20-04-2005, 20:35
I played Eqlive since may 10 1999,, did Eq2 for six months. Did GW beta one weekend. I'm planning on playing full time GW. It's quite the blend of the original game ,LDoN, and An Eq guild war. Except the combat is faster and of course the world seem to be drawn more breathtaking than EQ. Side note (not really) I Played Eq so long cause the guild i had was real friends and that made a so-so game bearable. I'm thinking GW has the ability to foster wonderful guilds that result in real friendships in the same manner as Eqlive did.

Dribble of Karana

darkling33
20-04-2005, 21:43
i played EQ and moved to EQ II and wanted to vomit now im here. their are a few things you need to consider if your thinking of playing guildwars.

1) lvling isnt very important in this game so you can reach max lvl rather quickly.

2) items play some roll but alone will not make your character powerful

3) alot of thought is required to make and play your character. your character doesnt advance linierly like EQ where everyone is pretty much the same and new spells/skills are just better version of the ones you got at lvl 1

4) their is no "I" in guildwars. literaly 1v1 is pretty much impossible the game is very much dependant on team play.

one thing i will say is you should play it just because it doesnt have a monthly fee. damn sony that we dont like monthly fees and join one of the first commercial MMORPGs to have no monthly fee.

Ghostlord
20-04-2005, 21:51
3) alot of thought is required to make and play your character. your character doesnt advance linierly like EQ where everyone is pretty much the same and new spells/skills are just better version of the ones you got at lvl 1

yeah i forgot to mention this one,you have to have a brain to play GW,whereas you dont need one to play eq :happy53: :happy53:

Lady Eleni
20-04-2005, 21:57
4) their is no "I" in guildwars. literaly 1v1 is pretty much impossible the game is very much dependant on team play.

Actually, there is an I in GW. But there isn't a me!

GW is not really comparable with everquest. They're in different genres, the gameplay is completely different. The only similarity would be that they have classes and hit points, really.

Guild Wars is a competitive online RPG. If you hold the tombs in GW, you are effectively the best GW team in GW. period. No servers, nothing like that. There are districts in towns and outposts, but that is only for crowd control. Travel is instantaneous, and free, there are no potions, items aren't a serious issue, levels aren't important, since you can get to level 20 in a single weeknd, or you can just start out with a level 20 character for PvP only.

DufferDave
20-04-2005, 22:03
One thing I didn't see in the above posts (may of missed it) was the problem of ks-ing. (kill stealing) You don't have that in GW!
I played EQ for several years before I got fed up with that and some other things.
Like someone mentioned, the difference is like nite and day. I prefer GW and will most likely be hooked with it for some time to come!

Vortimer
20-04-2005, 22:10
What about cheating? Since there is no quote in GW, will players be able to cheat? Im afraid of this :(

sushinator
20-04-2005, 22:30
Hello everyone, i'm new and i have a few questions about the game, keep in mind that i'm a gamer that likes fast-paced games but also wouldn't mind trying out MMORPGS.

1) a friend told me that you can customize your armor with different colors :happy34: (that's a thumbs up) and i checked out the website and there was specific armor for each professions, do you have to wear warrior armor if you're a warrior?

2) Are there samurai swords in the game? that would be :happy14: (two thumbs up) if there are

3) Can you move other than using the mouse? if so, are you allowed to move during combat instead of staying in one spot?

4) Should i actually buy the game, i feel like i'm taking a risk without trying it out

Deaddocus
20-04-2005, 22:35
1) only the armor of your primary profession can be bought and worn.

2) dunno, haven't seen any myself, but who knows, :)

3) you can also use Arrow keys or the typical wsda combination. (zsdq for Azerty) and combat is really dynamic, you can run around all you like.

4) do buy it, test it and if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you to give to a friend, lol

Kyark
Yes, you can customize your armor with dye. The dyes come in all colors, and are random loot drops. You can use up to four dyes per item, thus creating a specific color to your liking (i.e. putting four purples together to get a really really dark purple, or mixing two colors). You are restricted by your primary class as to which kinds of armor you can wear; however, there are several different types for each class.

I don't know about samurai swords...but I don't think there are.

You move like in FPS games with either left hand bound keys (I don't remember the originals, since I rebound a few) or arrow keys. You can move during combat, however, I think you stop attacking if you choose to move.

YES, buy the game!! It's awesome. :D

Ash Fleetfoot
Hello everyone, i'm new and i have a few questions about the game, keep in mind that i'm a gamer that likes fast-paced games but also wouldn't mind trying out MMORPGS.

1) a friend told me that you can customize your armor with different colors :happy34: (that's a thumbs up) and i checked out the website and there was specific armor for each professions, do you have to wear warrior armor if you're a warrior? Yes you do but there are sveral types of armour for each profession

2) Are there samurai swords in the game? that would be :happy14: (two thumbs up) if there are Not at present, but new weapons are promised along the way

3) Can you move other than using the mouse? if so, are you allowed to move during combat instead of staying in one spot? Yes you can use the defalut wasd setup to move or customise some keys through mapping and yes you can move during combat (especailly to run away if you are dying :p )

4) Should i actually buy the game, i feel like i'm taking a risk without trying it out Well put it this way I have bought 3 copies (1 for me and 1 each for my kids :D )

sushinator
20-04-2005, 22:41
also, my friend talked to me about it and says that in the beta he was a necromaner/elementalist, does that mean that you can have more than one proffesion? thanks for the answers :D i feel closer to wanting to buy it

Ash Fleetfoot
20-04-2005, 22:46
yes you can..... the standard build is to be dual profession, with a primary and a secondary class.

casserole
20-04-2005, 22:52
There are some characteristics of GW that discourage cheating;

As was mentioned, the instanced game play prevents camping or killing to steal items.
A character does not become uber from their items, but rather from their skill with the game and knowledge of the game. This alone will hopefully (and I stress hopefully since noone knows for sure) keep item farming/hacking/duping to a minimum.
With a level cap of 20, grinding will hopefully (again that word) not be a requisite to being astrong character.

Shinra
20-04-2005, 22:52
What about cheating? Since there is no quote in GW, will players be able to cheat? Im afraid of this :(

Cheating? At what exactly? No way to "cheat" because its a skill based game.

sushinator
20-04-2005, 22:55
thx again, well..time to save up some money :D

Vortimer
20-04-2005, 22:57
Sorry for not being clear. I meant hackers. Games like Diablo had a lot of these people around hacking with uber weapons and one shot kills. I dont want this to happen in GW.

Lady Eleni
20-04-2005, 23:05
Well, the streaming technology of GW allows the developers to fix the game the INSTANT they make a fix for any exploitable feature. Also, since all the interactions are sent through the GW server, it's impossible to to a one hit kil hack. All that is sent to the server from your computer is the command to activate skill 1-8, move somewheres, or attack someone. In D2, your computer was what had your stats, level and items logged, and it was easy to hack the damage you were doing, the speed at which you moved, etc. In GW the server has your skills 1-8 logged, and your attack stats, along with your items, so you would have to hack the server itself to do something liek that, which is no mean feat. Also, the instanced zones removes a lot of worries about laming, as a low level party cannot have a level 20 character barge in and kill them all. They cant have that happen in the low level PvP areas either, as a matter of fact.
So all in all, the cheating problem can be summed up by:
(a)Limited to PvP as far as unbalancing the game goes.
(b)All hacks can, and will, be fixed very, very quickly by the streaming technology system.
(c)You'll have to hack the server to hack anything serious.

Kyark
20-04-2005, 23:07
We'll see you in game. :D

Caelib
20-04-2005, 23:13
Should i actually buy the game, i feel like i'm taking a risk without trying it out

The risk if you don't buy is that you miss out. The risk if you DO buy is that you've spent $50 on a game that is a LOT of fun to play. I have yet to find anyone that has played the game for a day and hasn't liked it.

Since there's no subscription fee to play, I see this is a no-risk game in any regard :)

Thul Rasha
20-04-2005, 23:15
Pay $50 on GW, and have fun for a year (at the very least).
Don't pay $50 on GW, instead spend it in one or 2 evenings on drinks in a bar with your friends. Fun for 2 days.
Your pick.

Vortimer
20-04-2005, 23:16
Thanks for the answer, that was a great post :worship: .
Heh, I guess I can play without being afraid of this kind of things :happy65:

Bob Malooga
20-04-2005, 23:17
Hell, I'd buy it even if it wasen't as good as it is simply because there is no monthly fee. You can play as much and as often you like. That is what I call a inexpensive investment for endless hours of entertainment. :happy14:

Bob

Yalinya
20-04-2005, 23:23
The other option I believe might work for you is to preorder now, try it out on the 27th, then decide whether or not to pay for the actual game on the 28th. The reason I'm not sure is I don't know if they'd still let you preorder/get the preorder package. :)

SaborWolf
20-04-2005, 23:28
im not going to pre-order , but i am getting the game, im going to look on the 27th and see if Eric (the guy who works at gamestop) will let me have it early!!! wooyah, if not oh well ill come back and get it the next day, but a question of my own has arose while reading this...

lets say, instead of armor, i wanted to run around in regular clothes, is that possible? to get clothes rather than armor? or is it just armor anyway ya put it?

Thul Rasha
20-04-2005, 23:31
im not going to pre-order , but i am getting the game, im going to look on the 27th and see if Eric (the guy who works at gamestop) will let me have it early!!! wooyah, if not oh well ill come back and get it the next day, but a question of my own has arose while reading this...

lets say, instead of armor, i wanted to run around in regular clothes, is that possible? to get clothes rather than armor? or is it just armor anyway ya put it?

Take a look at the armor thread a bit under or above this one.
Or take a look at the armor crafting page of the site hosting this forum: gwonline.net

GrimSoul
20-04-2005, 23:34
The reason I'm not sure is I don't know if they'd still let you preorder/get the preorder package. :)

I highly doubt there is any cut off on the preorder, except after the release date. Which then, it wouldn't be a preorder any more seeing as how it was already released.

So my .02 worth is, purchase the preorder for $5. Try it all day on the 27th (next Wed. :sad44: ) and if you like it, you'll have a copy reserved so you don't miss out.

AlsPals
20-04-2005, 23:36
BTW, hacks are useless cause we have a good map, a nice server, and farming is SUPER easy. Also, this game will be damn-near intouchable by the likes of IGE and crappy sites that sell accounts and items, as no item is so rare that a person cant find it or will they bee that damn good to pay $100(I cant and would NEVER post the link, but mmorpg.com has it on a lot of banners, low lifes make a business out of it) and they will lose money becuase many players will come to GW and those MMO sites that sell stuff will miss out BIG time on what might be, not implying anything, the game to unseat WoW from its position of having more fans than players, and maybe compete with lineage. Ebay and the like users should get a life, no complaints about not having enough time to play...GET A LIFE. phew, scuse me :rolleyes:

GrimSoul
20-04-2005, 23:52
hello everyone I just wanted to stop bye and ask if any of you had previously played everquest and how Guild Wars compared. I quit playing eq about 3 months ago and have been looking for a new game and this one sounds awesome. Just wanted to see if any of you would recommend it (even though im sure you will) :happy53:

I have never personally played EQ, so I might be out of line even posting. I have seen it played and know people that are totally addicted to it. However, last week, before the BWE, I took the time to download the EQ2 7 day trial. I played it for about an hour. Didn't care for it. But come Friday morning, I started playing in the BWE. I played 50+ hours this past weekend and I'm now having withdrawl's waiting for next Wed. I had never played either game before and GW is, by far, the better game.

GrimmFury
21-04-2005, 00:12
and yet it wasn't.. it was after a few years... loike,,am i getting enough play time to justify what i'm playing..at least for me... when i quit eq after 4 years.. things i missed most were my friends.. i was of "amber order" on bertox... i was lucky enough to be first beta tester to have luclins vah shir beastlord

then reason i quit ..sony said they did not need me test any more ...so i would have to pay 15 a month,,, i debated a month..and realized i did not have desire to pay ...or play....

i tested human monks... then tested iksar monks...and "overthere"s mob pathing... and how to solve exploits
in pet pathing like using the temple wall to trap mobs and nuke them...

then i was given a key top access vah shir beastlord.... and the wonderful lag filled world of luclin.. i was so lonely.. only 4 or 5 of us on this moon ..

guild and friends made it bearable,,even while testing beast lord..i could still talk to them...

still played iksar monk to be with them.. but soon that got old.. be level 18 and die enough time during a vox raid to be 46...and no one cared...

gw does not let ya loose exp for death... its all good

i dont have to wait hrs on end to be able to camp rasten in that nasty frog place next to minataurs

dont have to be in an uber party to get efreeti boots...

just a bunch of us doing missions.. talking enjoying the game instead of competing for loot.....

pvp rocks.... i never like it in eq... cuase i alwway got rape.. a bunch of dark elves enter newbie area and slaughter everyone..

with gw you know you are in for pvp as soon as you enter it....and you have a little time to clear your mind before killing or being killed... its all good

level grind.. there is a little.. but so little that its almost nothing... need points get level for next skill point.. do two guests...500-1000 exp...do another mish...1000 exp..do bonus quest in the mish...another 1000exp ..maybe a skill point depending on mission bonus

a well planed level 15 can kill a level 20...takes a while,.,, but can be done

my only beef is pets need more commands....like attack..guard...return..wait...etc

Interlude
21-04-2005, 01:48
Mmm, the pvp, can someone be more specific? I think I understand the fact that; there's certain maps for pvp, aswell as guild wars - again, in a hall for example? Out of the way where just the 2 competing guilds can get to for the duration of the fight?

Is there generally pvp for instance; walking into a map, 40 seconds later as you're passing by a tree get jumped by 3 other pvp chars? Can this happen? Or is pvp fully based on the player(s) Vs players(s) guild battles?

Also, i've looked around, but it's quite late here, so I may of missed it, but uh, the 27th? What's going down on the 27th? :unsure:

GrimmFury
21-04-2005, 01:49
no ks'ing in gw...no ninjalooting

no one petitioning ya for training out of a zone

no trains to out run but your own

no one telling you get a life

no presures in getting uber loot item....

no presure on being higher level..except for what ya give yourself

no worries about finding a group...maybe finding a good one(j/k)

every game has its bunch of kids that think there all that..and same with adults that think they are pro's

and i like noobs(good on rye bread with gravy j/k)
rather play with a bunch of N00BS than with the "i'm better than you are" or the "U SUX" groups any day

pvp....lets see group get ready almost like entering a mission.... then they compete...

kill other team...or guild....in a time limit if area has one

or kill other teams hero and priest then kill the team....

king of hill tyope...get your team hero to middle alter and keep him alive

Elzevir of Indira
21-04-2005, 07:24
I have a question: When it comes to salvaging weapon upgrades or runes from items can this only be done from purple or yellow salvage items? In the previous betas (not including this last one) it seemed that gaining runes and such was kind of random.
basically: will a white salvage item (justicar's armor etc.) give me a rune?
Also, are there any cases in which using a regular salvage kit as opposed to an expert salvage kit on a regular white item will benefit the player?

calderstrake
21-04-2005, 07:37
I have a question: When it comes to salvaging weapon upgrades or runes from items can this only be done from purple or yellow salvage items? In the previous betas (not including this last one) it seemed that gaining runes and such was kind of random.
basically: will a white salvage item (justicar's armor etc.) give me a rune?
Also, are there any cases in which using a regular salvage kit as opposed to an expert salvage kit on a regular white item will benefit the player?
You can salvage from almost any item. What you want to keep in mind is that if an item has a rune in it; be it armor or a newly found drop; you MUST, I repeat, MUST us an Expert kit to get the rune out. You can tell if an item has a rune in it by the suffix (or is it prefix?). When you id an item like justicar's armor, it will say unlocked x.x.x. if it's the first time you see that item. Runes, as far as I have experienced, only come from magical (teal or purple) or rare (yellow).

Elzevir of Indira
21-04-2005, 07:51
You can salvage from almost any item. What you want to keep in mind is that if an item has a rune in it; be it armor or a newly found drop; you MUST, I repeat, MUST us an Expert kit to get the rune out. You can tell if an item has a rune in it by the suffix (or is it prefix?). When you id an item like justicar's armor, it will say unlocked x.x.x. if it's the first time you see that item. Runes, as far as I have experienced, only come from magical (teal or purple) or rare (yellow).

By benefit I meant is there any instanc ewhen an expert salvage kit will yield more of a craft item than a regular one.
Are you saying that the only way to get a rune or weapon upgrade is if the item says "_____ unlocked" when you identify the item? So they aren't just random: slavaging a white deadbow will not get me a grip? In the previous betas doing so would typically get a grip.

certifiedandrew
21-04-2005, 21:03
For all its faults, the user interface is one of the things I love most about SWG. What can I expect here? Is it completely different? Does it take a lot of getting used to? (I'd love some input from SWG players.) Over there our commands are executed with a backslash, we love our macros (timed series of commands we write and execute at will), and we're thoroughly reliant on toolbars and Combat Queues for combat.

I run a P4 2.6 Ghz with HT and 800 mhz FSB; a Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb; 512 Mb of DDR 400 RAM (dual channel); an 865p chipset; and an SATA hard drive. SWG has many spots where I hit 0.33 FPS now and then when I'm loading into a city, and the only way to alleviate this is to get 1 gig of RAM instead of the recommended 512 Mb. What kind of framerate and consistency can I expect with GW?

Finally, how does the development team plan to supply us with content without a monthly fee? Are they counting on immense game and expansion sales, or do they write code as a hobby?

Ransom
21-04-2005, 21:08
So I'm curious. I bought the preorder a couple days ago so I could get the free item and reserve the name. I assume I get the item on the 27th when the game becomes available to the preorder holders, but what about the name reservation? Is there a way for me to do that now, or does everyone wait until the 27th as well?

MyNameIsCronoTrigger
21-04-2005, 21:10
For all its faults, the user interface is one of the things I love most about SWG. What can I expect here? Is it completely different? Does it take a lot of getting used to? (I'd love some input from SWG players.) Over there our commands are executed with a backslash, we love our macros (timed series of commands we write and execute at will), and we're thoroughly reliant on toolbars and Combat Queues for combat.

I run a P4 2.6 Ghz with HT and 800 mhz FSB; a Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb; 512 Mb of DDR 400 RAM (dual channel); an 865p chipset; and an SATA hard drive. SWG has many spots where I hit 0.33 FPS now and then when I'm loading into a city, and the only way to alleviate this is to get 1 gig of RAM instead of the recommended 512 Mb. What kind of framerate and consistency can I expect with GW?

Finally, how does the development team plan to supply us with content without a monthly fee? Are they counting on immense game and expansion sales, or do they write code as a hobby?

I think the ui in gw is easy and fast to learn though i haven´t played SWG so i don´t know how much it diff´s.

Your comp should run GW smoothly, no problem at all, maybe not on highest graphics but it could work too.

They plan to release expansions every 6-9 moths to finance it, other than that i do not know.

Caelib
21-04-2005, 21:20

Guild Wars is a lot simplier than Star Wars Galaxies in every respect. I have played EQ, EQII, SWG, and DAoC over the past 5 years and I can tell you that Guild Wars is a LOT more fun than any of them. My measure of fun is based on two things; how much time do I spend doing mundane things that aren't fun and how complicated the game is ... neither of which you will find in Guild Wars. It's really hard to make a comparison between them because they share so little in common. Guild Wars is more like Diablo 2 than an MMO.

The system requirements are extremely low to run Guild Wars. I run at the maximum settings on a 1.8 GHZ w/ 512MB RAM and a GeForce FX card and they game runs flawlessly, without a single framerate hiccup.

The rollout of new content is going to be streaming and at a cost. Some content will be free. Their business model is based around the fact that people like the game and will not have a problem shelling out $20 - $30 every 4 - 6 months for more areas, missions, classes, races, and equipment. I don't think you have to worry about the "how's" here ... it's already done.

Ophiacus
21-04-2005, 21:41
you will have to wait till the 27th to reserve your name since you have not experienced any betas , which is were you register you name
:happy34:

Fallen_62
21-04-2005, 22:15
By benefit I meant is there any instanc ewhen an expert salvage kit will yield more of a craft item than a regular one.
Are you saying that the only way to get a rune or weapon upgrade is if the item says "_____ unlocked" when you identify the item? So they aren't just random: slavaging a white deadbow will not get me a grip? In the previous betas doing so would typically get a grip.

I have never tried salvaging a bow, but I have salvaged a while Dragon Sword and got a firey sword hilt, so it is possible to get salvage items from white swords. And usually using an expert salvage kit is what gets you the strings, runes, hilts, rare crafting materials, and other upgrade components from weapons and/or salvage items.

Darius Corinthius
21-04-2005, 22:44
When I was running on my 2.6 ghz 512 ram, and Geforce 5700 Ultra, I could run all the graphics on high with 1200 x 768 (or whatever it is) with no lag. I've upgraded since then (1gig ram and Geforce 6800 Ultra.)

In all aspects, Guild Wars has made tool bars, chatting, and windows very easy to customize and fool around with.

And as a previous 2 month EQII player (I HATE that game. wasted my money.) I CAN tell you that Guild Wars is a sound investment. And - you don't need to dump a ton of hours to get to the heart of the game, or be good at what you do (unlike EQII. stupid game.) To be brutally honest with you; Guild Wars captures you and engulfs you with the very heart of the game right from the beginning. I was in awe just looking around at how beautiful the game was when I first tried it. It's different from other MMORPGS; but I can assure you - you wont be disappointed.

Green_Opiate
21-04-2005, 23:23
In GW, you press a number key or click an icon on the screen to use a skill. WASD to move around, in addition to some targeting keys. Its possible to play it entirely with the mouse, though I dont recommend it. The chat window is used to chat and execute emotes
Well, as far as writing code to execute a series of commands in GW, I suppose it could be done somehow but its not supported by GW. And so many things can affect you and your teammates in the middle of combat, it wouldnt be very smart to try I wouldnt think. Like has been said, this game really is more about player skill. More about your ability to strategize, think on your feet, coordinate with your team and adapt in the heat of combat.

Your PC will run GW perfectly fine, don't worry.

In addition to many sales spread out over a longer period of time, GW is flat out way more efficient to keep running than a traditional Persistant-World MMO. They have a massive network of servers over the world to allow anyone to play with anyone, without traditional MMO server restrictions. The instanced design of this game is much easier to upkeep I would think than a persistant world. The Streaming technology allows them to update and add to the game very easily, without having to write a patch that is compatible with all versions of the game or having to maintain a patching server.
The expansions are optional, which gives AN a very good incentive to make quality content that people will want to buy.

I havent played SWG, and tbh it sounds pretty different and a lot more passive of combat than GW. It may or may not be what you want, but I suggest you give GW a try and see what you think. We all love GW here, so youre not likely to get much of a dissenting opinion. :p

/bow

Interlude
22-04-2005, 00:09
Mmm, the pvp, can someone be more specific? I think I understand the fact that; there's certain maps for pvp, aswell as guild wars - again, in a hall for example? Out of the way where just the 2 competing guilds can get to for the duration of the fight?

Is there generally pvp for instance; walking into a map, 40 seconds later as you're passing by a tree get jumped by 3 other pvp chars? Can this happen? Or is pvp fully based on the player(s) Vs players(s) guild battles?

Could someone answer that for me, and also what does each ability point do? Example; +5hp /per str or so.

certifiedandrew
22-04-2005, 00:19
In GW, you press a number key or click an icon on the screen to use a skill. WASD to move around, in addition to some targeting keys. Its possible to play it entirely with the mouse, though I dont recommend it. The chat window is used to chat and execute emotes
Well, as far as writing code to execute a series of commands in GW, I suppose it could be done somehow but its not supported by GW. And so many things can affect you and your teammates in the middle of combat, it wouldnt be very smart to try I wouldnt think. Like has been said, this game really is more about player skill. More about your ability to strategize, think on your feet, coordinate with your team and adapt in the heat of combat.

I havent played SWG, and tbh it sounds pretty different and a lot more passive of combat than GW.
/bow

To be honest, most of my SWG macros aren't related to combat. I have one called tap which makes me tap my foot every 3 minutes...so I don't log out from inactivity! :P I have a CoB macro which runs Center of Balance every 36 seconds for a 50% defense boost.

I do have some macros, though, that are related to combat, and those are typically spamming macros that save me some clicking while I grind xp for hours on end. One, called rifle headshot, just repeats /headshot3 5 times in a row!

The CU "promises" to make combat better, and while I like some changes like an end to spamming attacks, I HATE some changes like taking away our beloved combat queue.

One of my friends can't stop talking about how great combat is in this game, so I'll give it a try.

calderstrake
22-04-2005, 00:35
Could someone answer [PvP questions] for me, and also what does each ability point do? Example; +5hp /per str or so.
PvP is not like EQ. You go to a seperate area on the map, form teams of up to 8 players then you "Enter Mission". You will play the first round against monsters so the script can determine your skill. Then you will be thrown into an arena with 2-6 teams (depending on your determined skill) and you will play Team vs. Team. Winner advances to the next map... now, the guild bit... that is when one guild team challenges another guild team and by-passes the random formation in the standard PvP area. Guild maps are different and wins/losses are ranked on the ladder.

To-date, there is no single player PvP where one player challenges another player in single combat. There is another PvP that has been through the wash several times of a random 4v4. But in this format, you don't get to choose your teams before the match.

Hope this helps.

Ability points... These boost your damage, timers, etc on the skills you use. HP is not controlled by this. It is determined by your level and what items you are wearing.

Tazaki Tsurigi
22-04-2005, 01:40
I have a few questions so I'll try to get most of them into one post. Just played on this last Beta so I'm still learning most the things about the game.

I was wondering if theres any suggestions anyone would have about when in game before leaving Ascalon for the first time and heading out into the big battles after all your training. A friend told me have crafting materials on me cause i'll more then likely need them, just looking for some others.

I was wondering also what all abilities a guild owner has. I was only able to work with mine for a short period of time and didnt find much to do with it.

Cant think of anymore at the moment.

Interlude
22-04-2005, 01:50
Shortened text*.
Ah, excellent, thanks a lot for the help, it sounds great, can't wait for the release :)

Vortimer
22-04-2005, 03:05
I hope this game is really good because I just convinced all my friends to play it... man, if they don't like it(they have played Daoc, FFXI, WoW, PSO) im dead :lol: :lol: .
:(

BeezleBub
22-04-2005, 19:34
How much will the "expansions" (I know they don't call them that but i don't know what else to call them) be? I don't want to spend $30 every 6 months!

Ophiacus
22-04-2005, 19:42
I don't mean to be rude but you do plan on buying new games within a six month period, if the answer is yes , then i have to tell you that the the amount of contrent released will be on par with the current release

hope i helped :happy34:

CyberHawk
23-04-2005, 02:08
Heres a question I dont think that had been asked?
I've had other online game where you can add "decals" to like mechs and such. Will this game(for each Guild) like have a certain symbol you can place on their capes or something? Maybe a decal, I have, I can add to a GW folder so me and my team can all wear it?
Just wondering.

I mean otherwise wouldn't like every now and then..teams would have the same symbol on their backs? I just see alot of symbols on the capes in some of these screenshots people have. I love having a team sign, and honoring it well. :happy34:

Edit;
Nevermind, someone just popped up a thread talking about this and gave sites to the symbols...and not a bad selection at all.;)

Vortimer
23-04-2005, 02:43
One quick question:
Can you choose the height of your character?
I have a friend who is a small character fan and I have not seen any small chars in the screenies :surprise:

Ekrin
23-04-2005, 03:06
Hi everyboby :howdy: I was wondering: Is the collectors edition of Guild Wars worth the extra $30.00? :confused:

Tarrant Rahl
23-04-2005, 03:47
One quick question:
Can you choose the height of your character?
I have a friend who is a small character fan and I have not seen any small chars in the screenies :surprise:

Yes, you can select your character's height, within a range. When you create your character you set a number of phyiscal traits like hair color, etc. which includes a slider bar for height. You can't make an one inch tall character or 30 foot tall giant albeit, but there's a pretty good range.

Hi everyboby I was wondering: Is the collectors edition of Guild Wars worth the extra $30.00?

I'll definitely be getting the collector's edition myself. I want the artbook and the music CD, the rest is just bonus :p.

M-Totenkopf
23-04-2005, 03:57
yeah right. so the u think the aura is a bonus. hey if its not cuztom can u give it to me. :happy34: :p

ArKane
23-04-2005, 04:14
Hey, I havent played GW yet but i'd love to start plyaing. Is there a way I can try it out before buying it. Because I heard the beta were only for the people who preordered the game. I'd be extremely interested, can someone help me out!!! :happy14:

Zypher Wynn
23-04-2005, 06:47
The betas are over and the game will be releasing in five days. There only ways you could trying before purchasing it is either buy a preorder copy and use it on April 27th which is the one day advance that preorder customers get or find a friend who has it and ask to play on their account.

Chantal Dubois
23-04-2005, 14:23
Hey, I havent played GW yet but i'd love to start plyaing. Is there a way I can try it out before buying it. Because I heard the beta were only for the people who preordered the game. I'd be extremely interested, can someone help me out!!! :happy14:

Unfortunately, now that the BWE's are over, there isn't a way for you to try the game without buying it. Perhaps you could check with your local store, pick up a preorder, play on the 27th, then if you don't like it, cancel your order.

ArKane
23-04-2005, 16:47
so I can preorder and If I don't like it I can cancel? Won't the copy already be sent to my house on the 27th?

John Von Pert
23-04-2005, 18:07
All the places I bought the preorder package from told me to come back on the 28th with the box in hand to know that I had already paid for it. They have no idea who I am or if I'm ever going to come back, so if you can just buy one of the packages from a store, I don't think that they'll be sending you a copy of the full game.

Tarrant Rahl
23-04-2005, 22:41
so I can preorder and If I don't like it I can cancel? Won't the copy already be sent to my house on the 27th?

Generally the pre-order is only $5-10 down, and then you have to pick the game up and pay the rest at the store. This isn't the case everywhere, but it's pretty standard procedure. Some places will let you cancel that pre-order and/or apply the amount to something else, others won't. The best advice I can offer is visit any close by stores and ask what specifically their policies are.

qix
24-04-2005, 06:04
I have the pre-order key

does that mean that i can log in 12:01 am on the 27th, download the game, and start playing?

I wont have to wait till i pick up the full game from the store?

Zypher Wynn
24-04-2005, 06:12
I have the pre-order key

does that mean that i can log in 12:01 am on the 27th, download the game, and start playing?

I wont have to wait till i pick up the full game from the store?
Actually you can download the game right now from this site. (http://guildwars.com/downloads/clientdownload.html) Then install it and run the program to enter your preorder key code. Then at 12:01AM Pacific on the 27th all you got to do is log in and play. You will need to pick up your copy of the full game on the 28th and enter that CD code to have acess after 11:59PM Pacific and your preorder item.

qix
24-04-2005, 07:56
Actually you can download the game right now from this site. (http://guildwars.com/downloads/clientdownload.html) Then install it and run the program to enter your preorder key code. Then at 12:01AM Pacific on the 27th all you got to do is log in and play. You will need to pick up your copy of the full game on the 28th and enter that CD code to have acess after 11:59PM Pacific and your preorder item.

i did participate in the last BWE so i have the beta client and everything... however i was looking here on the official site:

http://guildwars.com/community/fansite-friday42.html

I've played in the Beta Weekend Events and I've received a lot of files over that time. Do I pretty much have everything I need to play Guild Wars already on my computer?

No, not really. There are whole new regions you've never visited, so you will obtain those assets from the game CD. There are all those new missions and explorable areas and quests that you will acquire. And of course, there will be a modest update on the day you launch the retail version, which will revise any files we might have changed since the game went to duplication, and will also assure that you have the files that will entitle you to your spiffy in-game items and the newest account options.

What does this mean? does it mean i'll need the retail cd to play in the early access or what do you make out of this?

Zypher Wynn
24-04-2005, 09:02
i did participate in the last BWE so i have the beta client and everything... however i was looking here on the official site:

http://guildwars.com/community/fansite-friday42.html

I've played in the Beta Weekend Events and I've received a lot of files over that time. Do I pretty much have everything I need to play Guild Wars already on my computer?

No, not really. There are whole new regions you've never visited, so you will obtain those assets from the game CD. There are all those new missions and explorable areas and quests that you will acquire. And of course, there will be a modest update on the day you launch the retail version, which will revise any files we might have changed since the game went to duplication, and will also assure that you have the files that will entitle you to your spiffy in-game items and the newest account options.

What does this mean? does it mean i'll need the retail cd to play in the early access or what do you make out of this?
You will not need the retail CD for the early acess. If it was required then why have the early acess avialable at all. However the newly added areas may not be available until you update with the retail CD. I would not worry because I am betting that even if you play constantly from 12:01AM Pacific on the 27th until you pick up your retail version, you will not be out of areas.

Boran
24-04-2005, 16:11
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum but I have been following Guild Wars for a while now. I have a couple questions that I need answer before I can determine whether or not to purchase this game.

1.) Can you do other stuff than just fight? I know that there is crafting among other things, but are you able to build houses, build player cities and so forth.

2.) Why is it called Guild Wars?

3.) Is there the potential for large battles?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions.

-Boran

Perfidia
24-04-2005, 16:31
1.) Can you do other stuff than just fight? I know that there is crafting among other things, but are you able to build houses, build player cities and so forth.

2.) Why is it called Guild Wars?

3.) Is there the potential for large battles?

1) - Yes, and no. You can craft new armor (weapons, items), add-onto your weapons. As for houses, no. Your guild can purchase a Guild Hall, which is an island in which you may hang out in. We havn't seen it yet, but we are expecting to be able to buy items for our halls.

2) - It is called Guild Wars, because the Guild System of the game, is actually in-game. Guilds are distingushed by unique Guild capes. You may participate in Guild Battles, and you can buy Guild halls. It's not a requirement for fun, but joining a guild is a big part of the game.

3) - In the Tombs, you can get 6 teams of 8 players each fighting at once... But if you are talking about WoW's large battles full of lag and nonsense, no.

scottvin
24-04-2005, 19:43
I have been in the BWE (preorder key) since February. Why is GuildWars asking for the beta key again?

Atmaphil
24-04-2005, 19:44
nothing to worry about, this is for those who have multiple pre-order keys and want all the items.. (yours is still working)

scottvin
24-04-2005, 19:46
nothing to worry about, this is for those who have multiple pre-order keys and want all the items.. (yours is still working)

yay me!! :)

thanks.

Ekrin
25-04-2005, 01:31
I'll definitely be getting the collector's edition myself. I want the artbook and the music CD, the rest is just bonus :p.[/QUOTE]

Thanks i'll go for it.

Bartuc of Blood
25-04-2005, 20:38
I haven't been able to find the answer to this anywhere, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. On Diablo II you could have multiple accounts using the same key on a single computer, so this way you and your brother or whatever, can skill play on the same computer, with their own characters on their own account. Is this the same for Guild Wars?

VirusLG
26-04-2005, 00:45
I have a question about guilds, a few actually.
1. How do you create a guild? is ther a place to go to, were you have to create it at?
2. Inorder to make a guild must all members be on the same server in order to be in the guild?
3. If your the guild leader and you make a guild but you make a new character because you dont like the one you made... is the character that you made going to be the new leader..?
4. Can you reserve a guild name... if so how...?
5. Is there a number of people you need inorder to make a guild, and also do you need to pay like money inorder to make a guild (in the game money, ex silver) or do you just make one?
6. If anyone is familiar with the guilds i would like to know what are the ranks in a guild?

Thank you for your time. Sorry questions not really in an order. Please answer.

Spottswoode
26-04-2005, 16:29
if i choose a monk as my secondary profession can i still use the Restore Life power?

Fallen_62
26-04-2005, 17:06
1. How do you create a guild? is ther a place to go to, were you have to create it at?
2. Inorder to make a guild must all members be on the same server in order to be in the guild?
3. If your the guild leader and you make a guild but you make a new character because you dont like the one you made... is the character that you made going to be the new leader..?
4. Can you reserve a guild name... if so how...?
5. Is there a number of people you need inorder to make a guild, and also do you need to pay like money inorder to make a guild (in the game money, ex silver) or do you just make one?
6. If anyone is familiar with the guilds i would like to know what are the ranks in a guild?

1. You talk to a guild registrar around the world. There is one in pre-seared ascalon, and one in Lions Arch for sure. Im pretty sure there is one in post seared ascalon as well. You have to pay to create the guild and then you have to pay additional money for the cape.
2. I believe so, yes
3. Guild Participation (and ranking) is tied to the accounts, so any character you make on your account is going to be a Guild Master
4. I do not think so.
5. There is set amount of people who need to be in a guild, and yes you have to pay. Not sure how much, though.
6. Ranks are: Guild Master (only one person), Officer (as many as you want), and members (as many as you want). As of last BWE the maximum number of people you can have in a guild was 100.

if i choose a monk as my secondary profession can i still use the Restore Life power?

Yes, you can choose any skill from either of your professions.

Spottswoode
27-04-2005, 15:43
ceers for answering my question :love19:

wookie
28-04-2005, 02:34
Are there banks around the world where you can store lots of items? Because from what I hear you can only carry like 20 items and 4 weapons or something like that.
Thanks.

DeathoOne
03-05-2005, 04:35
Yes, there is hold about 20 items. Can also get things like backpacks.

catastrophic
04-05-2005, 04:45
This is a stupid question...Where do you get bolts of cloth? :confused:

Bangladier
04-05-2005, 05:26
I have a question too. When you get an item that is blue, yellow or purple (I know this stands for rare), should you use an ID kit to tell what you get or is that necessary at all?

Fallen_62
04-05-2005, 07:14
This is a stupid question...Where do you get bolts of cloth? :confused:

You salvage them from Salvage Items. Check out our Salvage Guide (http://www.gwonline.net/page.php?p=90) to see what items salvage to cloth.

I have a question too. When you get an item that is blue, yellow or purple (I know this stands for rare), should you use an ID kit to tell what you get or is that necessary at all?

Usually if you get an item that is blue (magical), purple (somewhat rare), or yellow (rare) it will say that it is "Unidentified," in which case you need to use an ID Kit to tell what mods it has on it. In some cases (very rare and only on salvage items as far as i know) the item doesnt say "Unidentified," so if you try and identify it, it will just give you the value of the item.

Also, identifying Salvage Items that are blue, purple or yellow help you unlock runes for PvP chars. The runes are tied to identifying, so you need to identify the item to unlock it for yourself. You dont need to salvage it, and you dont even need to keep it if you dont want, but you will be able to have that item on a PvP char

ranbla
04-05-2005, 15:18
I played WoW starting in open beta up until about 2 weeks ago (mid-April). I got a rogue up to level 57 and several alts from teens to mid-40s. At that point, I was bored out of my skull. Basically, WoW is not very casual-gamer friendly the higher level you get. And at the end-game, I hope you like either raiding or PvP because those are your choices. And even if you do like those things, they tend to get old after a while.

Now I've only been playing GW for a week, but I'm addicted... hardcore. It's one of those games where you play for a while and look at the clock, expecting it to be around a certain time and it's actually 3 hours later than you thought! It's engrossing.

I'll leave the detailed, technical comparisons to others, but from a fun standpoint, GW wins in my book.

Rai Masamune
05-05-2005, 08:19
i havent bought the game yet, but i was wondering

would a ranger+ warrior combination work? i mean, i would love to have a character who could shoot arrows from far away then proceed to go in close for some hack and slash, like legolas lol

and are all warriors slow and lumbering with their big axes and hammers? is it possible to make a quick warrior that is speed based not power based? kind of like the ninjas in FFXI

can you dual wield weapons?

if say, there is an expansion, then there would be new classes right? then what if there is a new class that i want? would i be able to change my current class to it? or do i have to make another account?

ElfMan
05-05-2005, 17:39
I have a basic question. Is there any way I can see what a collector's item does without initiating the trade? (I tried Ctrl-click and r-click)

Killax
10-05-2005, 01:50
where do i get an expert salvage kit

Mulsiphix
10-05-2005, 22:04
Are there any kind of party loot options available?

trowabartan
18-05-2005, 00:07
I apologize for this but...how do you trade?

Mraezk
18-05-2005, 10:17
Ehh...I'll try answering a few.

Ranger / Warrior can work, yes. Just about anything can work. That is the great thing about the game.

No dual weapons at this time.

Swords and Axes both are kinda fast, while hammers are slower.

There will perhaps be new classes in the expansions. You would have to level up a new character in them however, or swap your secondary to them one if it were available. You can have up to four characters on one account.

No way to see the full stats of an item from a collector that I've found. This will probably be fixed soon. (Hopefully).

Expert Salvage kits are sold on normal merchants once you progress farther into the game.

Trade windows are opened by selecting a player, then hitting the "trade" button that pops up next to their name in the target box.

Hope that helps!

phoenixMM
20-05-2005, 12:22
i would like to get some information about what is the difference between roleplaying and pvp options in the games are about. i was looking for a place that i can train and just understand how the game works and then go and battle.

and is level 20 the highest level you can go to?

Meister Blitzkrieg
20-05-2005, 12:41
Yes, Level 20 is the higest level, but your character doesn't nessicarily stop growing then.

Pre-Searing Ascalon is designed as a place to train, and get the feel of the game.

PvE, or Role-Playing is a character which starts at Level 1, and you train along, get skills for, and inish the game in.

PvP only, is a character that starts at level 20, and can only go to certain arenas on the map, and participate in PvP Battles.

PvE characters can fight in PvP battles, along side PvP characters, but you must get them to the nessicary areas, and the nessicary levels to do so.

Skionwings
25-05-2005, 07:50
Okay, so I was sittin there playin GW right? When all of a sudden I was enlisted into a little questing team. We ended up running around fighting things to end up fighting a bigger thing with a couple of henchmen which i assume to be NPCbots. Anyways we emerged victorius then I was shown a cutscene of how the Charr took over Ascalon. Two years later my team and I are still alive and we then ventured on another quest. I think we emerged victorious(or however that is spelled.) Then I asked a team member what that last quest is all a/b. He said now I can travel to " insert name of place here." My question(s) is: could I not get there before? Can I go back to the past? Can I still play with the guild I joined?

Mraezk
26-05-2005, 01:52
Okay, so I was sittin there playin GW right? When all of a sudden I was enlisted into a little questing team. We ended up running around fighting things to end up fighting a bigger thing with a couple of henchmen which i assume to be NPCbots. Anyways we emerged victorius then I was shown a cutscene of how the Charr took over Ascalon. Two years later my team and I are still alive and we then ventured on another quest. I think we emerged victorious(or however that is spelled.) Then I asked a team member what that last quest is all a/b. He said now I can travel to " insert name of place here." My question(s) is: could I not get there before? Can I go back to the past? Can I still play with the guild I joined?

Pre-searing Ascalon is isolated. You cannot leave it for another world district until after the searing, at which point it becomes post-searing Ascalon. You cannot go back with this character, since that would be...well, time-travel. Naturally, you can group with any guild members that are also past the searing event.

Hopefully that helps.

Skionwings
26-05-2005, 08:30
Pre-searing Ascalon is isolated. You cannot leave it for another world district until after the searing, at which point it becomes post-searing Ascalon. You cannot go back with this character, since that would be...well, time-travel. Naturally, you can group with any guild members that are also past the searing event.

Hopefully that helps. Thanks, man. :D BTW: I think I just leveled up to Uber-noob. :happy65:

Shapop Lafonzie
27-05-2005, 04:44
This has likely been mentioned before, but how exactly do refunds work? If I were to beef up my fire magic early in the game when I only have fire spells, could I switch them over to Air Magic later on without losing any?

Tsukaza
27-05-2005, 23:30
Well im New and i was wondering if u want to get Good items to have to choose role playing to get them or can u get them at PVP??

Please reply

Dinkytoy
29-05-2005, 15:23
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that it's possible to get maximum damage weapons from collectors ?

Also, could you expand the info as to what is available from collectors and if it is useful ? It seems to me that for awhile it's better to get armor from collectors, but I gather at some point it's better to craft armor ? If this is so, when does this happen ?

SonOfRah
29-05-2005, 16:25
Q: How do I hide the graphical interface so that I can take a clean screenshot?
A: Ctrl-shift-H.
Incorrect.

Taking a screenshot after the HUD has been turned off results in a slightly less quality screenshot.

In order to take a screenshot with the best possibly quality hold down shift when you press printscreen.

ie: Shift + Printscreen

This will temporarily turn off the HUD and turn up all graphic settings for the duration of the screenshot. Its ussually pretty fast even though the gfx settings are turned up for the screeny. And yes, even if you have maximum graphic settings by default will result in a lower quality screeny if you turn off the HUD. In short, don't turn it off.

SonOfRah
29-05-2005, 16:27
Also, could you expand the info as to what is available from collectors and if it is useful ? It seems to me that for awhile it's better to get armor from collectors, but I gather at some point it's better to craft armor ? If this is so, when does this happen ?
Armor gained from collectors ussually has higher AL than the armors that you can initially craft. Basically, collectors offer better armor sooner. You can still wait until later to get the same AL armor though.

garzahd
31-05-2005, 21:46
Taking a screenshot after the HUD has been turned off results in a slightly less quality screenshot.

Did you find this from personal experience or official reference? I haven't heard anything like this before. It sounds like a bug.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that it's possible to get maximum damage weapons from collectors ?
Yes, collectors at or after the desert will generally carry max-damage weapons and max-mana focus items.

You sorta need to play this by ear. In Ascalon you can buy armor that exceeds local collector quality. Once you reach the jungle, the collectors shift into high gear and are well worth visiting. The collectors continue to be good through the desert.

However, you can only get "basic" armor sets from collectors. If you want to get the non-basic armor types (pyromancer's, bonelace, judge's, etc) then you'll need to buy it at a vendor.

By the way, I can no longer edit my post, so I can't incorporate new changes posted in this thread. (note to mods: feel free to fix things that are wrong or make appropriate changes, I won't feel emotionally violated)

bebexlove
01-06-2005, 08:33
what town sells mesmer's enchanter clothes? x]

gismo
01-06-2005, 12:21
How can you see how much damage you can do? I know my bow says 10-15 but is that with or without the +20% mod? I guess I'm so used to d2 that I want a stat page for my character. :lol:

I tried to search for my answer but the forum kept messing up.

trowabartan
01-06-2005, 23:42
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you get it to let you set weapon sets for F2/F3/F4? On my first char slots were automatically there but on my last two the F1 slot is the only one visible and I can't figure out how to get it so I can set the other slots >_<

trowabartan
02-06-2005, 02:30
nevermind, just had to open my eyes a bit

380 Realm
02-06-2005, 17:59
Hi, first time posting here but been playing GW for almost a week. I sometimes see people saying "LFG blah-blah-blah".

What does LFG mean? If this has already been asked before, I apologize. The search engine won't accept 3 letter words.

gismo
02-06-2005, 21:20
Hi, first time posting here but been playing GW for almost a week. I sometimes see people saying "LFG blah-blah-blah".

What does LFG mean? If this has already been asked before, I apologize. The search engine won't accept 3 letter words.
LFG means Let's Form Group.

IBeJebus
02-06-2005, 21:23
This has likely been mentioned before, but how exactly do refunds work? If I were to beef up my fire magic early in the game when I only have fire spells, could I switch them over to Air Magic later on without losing any?

Refunds are for the attribute points so you can change around your design. You earn 1 refund point for every 250xp you get. So you get them quite quickly. Dont be afraid to try new things.

Buckiller
03-06-2005, 03:48
What is the max damage of staffs?

Chantal Dubois
03-06-2005, 04:28
What is the max damage of staffs?

The max damage for staves is 11-22.

BoomHeadshot
05-06-2005, 19:22
can anyone please exaplin how aura of restoration works? it doesnt seem to heal for me.

sp00ked
06-06-2005, 01:00
how do you seperate stacked items lol? ive been right clicking, dragging etc and cant seem to find the solution please help.

Kinor
06-06-2005, 16:56
A question to add (if such is still possible) that I haven't run across the answer for:
What good does the 'favor of the Gods' do for me, Joe-Schmoe the PvE'er? Do I get better item drops, more luck, more crits, etc., or is it just a good opportunity for geo-political chest beating?

Parker Bsb
06-06-2005, 17:05
Favor of gods means you can visit the underworld/fissure of woe. You have to go to the temple of ages and donate 1 plat to Grenth for fissure, or 100gold to Balthazar (or somthing like that) and it'll open up the way.

They are really hard areas that have lots of gold/items and high level monsters.

Siren Ashley
06-06-2005, 22:28
hi im really new to the game im starting to get a hang of it..

i have friends in europe that play and i play on the north american server and Im wondering if we can be in the same guild (we are in the same guild) but really what im wondering is does all the pvp guild style take place on international servers?? and the guild halls and things?? if they build one will i have access to it?? or will i have to go international?? pls help me you seem pretty knowledgable :)

Lysara
09-06-2005, 08:38
how do you seperate stacked items lol? ive been right clicking, dragging etc and cant seem to find the solution please help.

As far as I know items only seperate if you are trading, selling to a merchant, or have reached the 250 limit :(

Lysara

Lysara
09-06-2005, 08:43
can anyone please exaplin how aura of restoration works? it doesnt seem to heal for me.

When you have the Aura of Restoration on, you get a % of the energy cost of the spell you are casting, back in health points for the next 60 seconds.

Hope this helps :D

Lysara

Dispiriting Shadows
10-06-2005, 02:10
Hello, I have a quick question on PVP. I am wondering if anyone is willing to explain to me what you have to do to increase fame/rank. Any help would be much appreciated.

FattyLumpkinz
11-06-2005, 17:25
I'm converting to GW but the game is VERY new to me. As my first post here let me announce that I'm leaving WoW, which I like very much, but let me tell you why.

There is a great deal to like about WoW and I can not do it justice while keeping this post reasonable. In short I absolutely loved the size of Azeroth, the stunning art work (bravo!), factions, the combat system, discovering the second town, the Auction House, the social options, and of course the Griffins!

What I did not like about WoW caused me to stop playing after 7 months and wishing I could end a 6-month renewable billing schedule before its time. I’ve played a number of games for over a year (Diablo II kept my attention for over three) but the following issues were serious enough to drain the fun out of the WoW experience.

In order, the most serious being first:

• Length of Instances: As a professional I am unable to spend 2-3+ hours locked in a game. The instances take too long. It seems that a great deal of the set items and top-notch equipment comes from instances. An inefficient party it makes this painful and can waste an entire night. Even with a veteran group it takes too long. I’ve run sum instances many times with absolutely no rewards. The time requirement, not to mention finding a group, is far too demanding. This was a serious problem for me.

• Weak Rewards: Not enough items are accessible given the amount of time it takes to get them. The best items are found in instances, which take too long to successfully complete, and the process is discouraging. This appears to be an issue at all levels of the game but higher level instances require that you quit your job. One example is UBRS in Blackrock Mountain. I completed that instance approximately 11 times. During those runs I was searching for the LightForge Paladin set. I was out rolled two times on the Spaulders and never once saw the Breastplate that General Drakkisath potentially drops. In addition, it was not until my very last run that I actually one a roll. In 11 runs I won not a single roll. This was not very much fun. There are numerous other examples. Reward is why I play games, whether it’s just the intrinsic experience or electronically tangible loot. Receiving rewards in WoW seems unreasonably drawn out and punishing. I enjoy being rewarded for my efforts but this was not the case even after 30 hours spent running a single instance. Even fishing, which I have invested many hours in past the 300 skill level, provides little reward especially given the excitement level of the activity.

• Professions: Professions seem insipid. With the best items inside instances the incentive to spend the necessary fortune to create the top-notch professional items is lacking. It seems that the effort to produce them via professions is too costly. I can make far more money selling raw/semi-raw materials. So many items never sell and fail to be useful. Skill points improve by making items but that merely leads to the same problem of wasting time and resources only to have your items sell for far less than the materials and labor cost. At least when I reached 300 I no longer had to advance!

• Lack of Storyline: This is a minor issue for me but one worth mentioning. I would have liked a stronger story line, especially one that was unique for each of the classes.

I hope to find more in GW. I know it will cost me less. I know it will not ask me to give up 4 hours every time I log on. So far GW looks awsome. I've just got to get past the learning curve.

AdonisTora
14-06-2005, 22:23
I wanted to know how much I could sell this item for, and if this isn't the place to find out prices, can you tell me where I should go thanks.

http://img294.echo.cx/img294/1047/untitled3fb.jpg

thanks again :worship:

Adonis Tora

Amphibious One
16-06-2005, 03:42
This seems a pretty unrelated question in some part, but I'm interested in buying Guild Wars for my girlfriend, however, she shares a network with a father who is very very uptight about the downloads. I am very sure this game doesn't take up many downloads, but can somebody give me a rough figure in Mb per hour or 4 hours of play.

play meaning, running around doing a couple of missions/quests etc.

Blackraven64
17-06-2005, 21:15
this is probably the most noobiest question but wut is ascension?

IBeJebus
17-06-2005, 21:21
this is probably the most noobiest question but wut is ascension?

Ascension is a series of three missions you must complete in the desert, and then you have to fight your mirror and defeat it. Ascension is basically the point in the storyline which chooses whether you are "worthy" or not to continue as one of the chosen.

Blackraven64
18-06-2005, 06:13
cool thx for answering.That whole mirror thing is awesome.

hamsterjohn
19-06-2005, 21:19
I got to the second mission of southern shiverpeaks ("XXXXX mines" or something like that) and everyone's talking about "infusion" or having your armor infused. It sounds fairly critical yet I have no idea what it is. :(

EDIT: Nevermind. Pushed a li'l button called "search" and it did the job. Mod u may delete this post.

Cythe
20-06-2005, 15:18
How does the game save your character? Do you have to do it manually, or does it do it automatically when you log off?

*only bought the game this afternoon, and is installing...*

Naylia
20-06-2005, 18:26
How does the game save your character? Do you have to do it manually, or does it do it automatically when you log off?

*only bought the game this afternoon, and is installing...*

Your character is always saved constantly real-time. Logout, close program, crash pc whatever, you shouldn't have any issues. There's no manual aspect.

Sherlock
20-06-2005, 21:46
Hello I am completely new in GW, just got it from girlfrend for my birthday :)) ! So I have very basic questions :

1. How can I identify item ? Is there someone like Deckard Cain or I can buy Identify scrolls, as like in D2 ?

2. How can I pass over that circle, Flame Gaiser, it always kills me ? Im in Catacombs, trying to pass over it, but I really dont know :((( !!!

3. I have GE-F 2, and animation is kind a slow - what Grafic card should I install ?

4. I have Necro, if thats important !

Thx for answers and regards !!!

Cypher Rayshin
25-06-2005, 22:42
Well,
I havnt actually been able to play GW yet due to the fact of burning my Mobo :P :'(. But i got a few questions for you guys.

Are Elite skills only for primary classes?
And can you use weps/armor from your secondary class?

Thankz alot, eh! You should be seeing me by the end of next week on GW, and kicking ***!

:-:-:-:-: Cypher :-:-:-:-:

lord of thf
28-06-2005, 14:41
how do u take pics of ur chcarcters

IBeJebus
28-06-2005, 14:48
how do u take pics of ur chcarcters

hit Print Screen key to take a screenshot.

Repr
28-06-2005, 21:16
Are Elite skills only for primary classes?

no, you can capture the elite skills of both your primary and secondary proffesion

And can you use weps/armor from your secondary class?

You can use weapons from your secondary class. you cant use the armors though simply becouse you cant get them. the traders will only offer armors for your primary class, as will collectors. you also cant trade armor since when you buy it from a merchant or trade it with a merchant it will be cusomised for that character only.

so dont trade armor either!! you cant use it!

Repr
28-06-2005, 21:23
Hello I am completely new in GW, just got it from girlfrend for my birthday :)) ! So I have very basic questions :

welcome then and congratulations!

1. How can I identify item ? Is there someone like Deckard Cain or I can buy Identify scrolls, as like in D2 ?

you can buy identification kits. they work the same as the tomes in d2 did. you use them by dubble clicking them and then on the item you want to identify, just like d2 basically

2. How can I pass over that circle, Flame Gaiser, it always kills me ? Im in Catacombs, trying to pass over it, but I really dont know :((( !!!

Behind the flame gaisers there is a corpse on a stake. use animate bonefiend (i think, or was it animate something else? not a necro :p) and when you have animated the undead the first thing hell do is walk towards you, through the flame gaiser. since they can only fire once its then save to get past them.

3. I have GE-F 2, and animation is kind a slow - what Grafic card should I install ?

i dont get this question, if you have a GF2, how can you install another?

anyway, i run it on a Radeon 9600xt and works like a charm. not that expensive anymore as well

4. I have Necro, if thats important !

not really, but i like necro's. i really gotta start 1 soon. way to go!!

Thx for answers and regards !!!

np and enjoy the game :happy14:

katana
29-06-2005, 12:01
I did a mission but we died. And I cant redo the mission.

Whats up?

Repr
29-06-2005, 18:57
I did a mission but we died. And I cant redo the mission.

Whats up?

ive never seen any mission that you cant redo or restart. can you tell me what it was called or where it was?
Edit: And also, does it still appear in your quest log?

Nerephys
30-06-2005, 01:33
hi im really new to the game im starting to get a hang of it..

i have friends in europe that play and i play on the north american server and Im wondering if we can be in the same guild (we are in the same guild) but really what im wondering is does all the pvp guild style take place on international servers?? and the guild halls and things?? if they build one will i have access to it?? or will i have to go international?? pls help me you seem pretty knowledgable :)

Guild PVP is fine for international guilds, as there is only one district in guild halls regardless.
Tournament PVP in the tomb of primeval kings on the other hand, you will need to meet on an international server, and if you play as a guild you will represent your guild's base location as above.
One option would be to switch your account to european servers altogether, which can be done under options on your character selection screen. You can switch back if you decide you prefer american servers or whatever, but you can only move 5 times in total before you're stuck in whatever server set you're in.

Repr
30-06-2005, 12:31
Favor of gods means you can visit the underworld/fissure of woe. You have to go to the temple of ages and donate 1 plat to Grenth for fissure, or 100gold to Balthazar (or somthing like that) and it'll open up the way.

They are really hard areas that have lots of gold/items and high level monsters.

actually going to both places costs you 1 plat :)

yoko the ripper
01-07-2005, 03:15
sooper noob question. while playing i see folks calling spells as they are cast i also see peeps broadcasting energy. how would one go about doing that?
:happy65: yay noobs!!!

drunkenclamm
01-07-2005, 06:23
sooper noob question. while playing i see folks calling spells as they are cast i also see peeps broadcasting energy. how would one go about doing that?
:happy65: yay noobs!!!

Control-clicking anything broadcasts that.

whitetlCOA
01-07-2005, 07:41
How do you get to Droknar's Forge? I hear people complain about runners and I want to do this ligit.

Repr
01-07-2005, 12:22
How do you get to Droknar's Forge? I hear people complain about runners and I want to do this ligit.

if you are in beacons perch and leave town you normally head west to gates of kryta, but there is also a way south that leads to lornars pass. if you go through there, and about 2 or 3 other area's wich i cant remember the name you will make a shortcut from beacons perch to drognars.

since the passes are filled with level 20+ creatures its kinda hard to do, certainly if you are low lvl. there are people who run with a lvl 20 character through the entire map without killing anything and then the entire party gets teleported when he enters the next area

MastaFIN
03-07-2005, 11:46
Hi there all. I dont have the Guildwars yet, but it is on the mail now, and it shoud arrive anyday soon. I have read many "manuals" and guides, but I would like to know a couple of things:

1. What does it mean, when people speak about 15k armor, or 1,5k armor? I thought that I could translatate that to 15 000 armor, but I think that would be quite too much, right?

2. This is my second MMORPG ever (WoW is first), and Im planning to make a warrior/monk (and I would roleplay him as a paladin). I just would like to know how the aggroing works in this game? And how does healers get aggro etc.

3. I really do like roleplaying, and Im planning to make a roleplaying guild to Guildwars. I just would like to know that are there ANY roleplayers at all?

Well, this is all right now, cheers.

Lun
03-07-2005, 12:22
I've read only the first page of this topic, so I hope this wasn't asked before.... When you first make your character, can you also choose the colors of their basic clothes?

Repr
04-07-2005, 14:38
1. What does it mean, when people speak about 15k armor, or 1,5k armor? I thought that I could translatate that to 15 000 armor, but I think that would be quite too much, right?

the 15k and 1.5k is the amount of gold these armors cost. they both do the same and have same armor, 15k just looks way better :)

3. I really do like roleplaying, and Im planning to make a roleplaying guild to Guildwars. I just would like to know that are there ANY roleplayers at all?

there are lots of roleplayers. it wont be much of a problem to find people to play with. it might get a bit hard to form your own guild though. pretty much everyone already has a guild so it will be very hard to find enough people to form a guild

Repr
04-07-2005, 14:40
I've read only the first page of this topic, so I hope this wasn't asked before.... When you first make your character, can you also choose the colors of their basic clothes?

when you make your character you choose what proffesion as primary you take, if you are male or female, what face, hair, skin colour and how tall/small you want to be. the clothes you can buy always have the same colour but you can dye them to get a better color, or 1 u like better anyway

gaylemichel
04-07-2005, 20:08
What does "causes exhaustion" mean, exactly, in my skills listing.

Repr
04-07-2005, 23:04
What does "causes exhaustion" mean, exactly, in my skills listing.

when you use the skill youll get exhaustion. this means that your maximum amount of energy will drop with 10. you will regain it at 1 energy ever 3 seconds. so using 1 exhaustion skill takes 30 seconds to restore the energy loss

MastaFIN
07-07-2005, 21:42
Hi all. I got my Guildwars today, and I have Warrior/monk at level 7. However, I have some questions for you.

1. Im now located at Pre-searing Ascalot (?[Not sure about the name, I just call it the beginner place]), and I have got these three "beatiful" items: Beatiful Feather, Beatiful Pearl and Beatiful Pendant. I have no clue what to do with them, but they say that they are quest items. So, could someone give me any guidance about this?

2. I would like to know how to make weapon "sets". I mean, that when you press F2 for example, I would automatically change to bow.

Nothing more right now, yours sincerely, and thanks in advance.

Cérilia
08-07-2005, 09:41
1. Keep them!
There is a quest given by the second in command of Rurik named Osiric near the exit of Ascalon. You'll need to give them to this guy to make a present for Althea...

Eugene Bi
08-07-2005, 22:32
Hi,

In mission sites I see people with their rank advertisements or LFG over their heads. How they do this? Is it a chat command or what?

Lycansberg
09-07-2005, 00:28
Hi everyone! :clap:

I'm new to GW and in fact i havent got the game as yet. Currently still waiting for my new computer as my old one simply wont make it if i play this game.

Ok. i'm actually a console type of player these days. i have played only 1 MMORPG in my life and that's FFXI a while back. I'm actually thinking of getting either WOW or GW for the past few days and actually doing some research on both games. My conclusion is actually i will get GW rather than WOW. There's several reasons though:

1) It's takes too long to travel from one point to another. This is the most annoying part of the game. I remember during the time of FFXI that i will spent 15 mins of my time running around on foot! in the latter stage, i can travel on airships but still some parts of the game still need to be on foot or chocobos.

2) Its taxing to level up. Imagine using endless hours of my time levelling. :happy59:

3) PvP in WOW not good enough

4) Monthly fee is needed.

5) I dont like people to show off by attaining high levels or having expensive eq on them

and lastly

6) i hate farming!

What GW have is the excellent PvP and more importantly, i like the non-travelling part. It could be better if there's more classes to play along and although i say levelling is too time consuming, i would like a higher Level cap. The way of playing this game based on skills is an appeal to me too as levels and eq for once don't count as important as the rest of the MMORPG. I'm really looking forward in purchasing this game at the end of the month. :thumbsup:

Well, i have been reading for the great stuff that this website has to offer and boy i'm impressed! Keep up the good work! :happy14:

Repr
09-07-2005, 02:00
Hi,

In mission sites I see people with their rank advertisements or LFG over their heads. How they do this? Is it a chat command or what?

there lvl and proffesions are always shown in any coop mission area. you cant see yours but others can see it

as for the LFG above there heads. when people use normal chat you always see that above your head. again, so have you you just dont see it. also people in your party will show anything they say above there head

Capn Crunch
09-07-2005, 15:10
:sign72:

I've heard and read many things about upgrades and runes for weapons and armour, but I'm still unsure about some things. However, I'm sure I can find the answers to these somewhere else, so I'm only curious about 2 items which I've found lately in GW;

Holy Rod *~in purple writing~*
Fire Dmg: 7-11
Improves skill recharge (chance 6%) *~in purple writing~*

and;

Jewelled Staff *~in purple writing~*
Energy +5
Chaos Dmg: 6-9
Quick recovery from Deep Wound *~in purple writing~*

My questons are; if I salvage these 2 weapons, will I get some kind of 'upgrade', like a rune, or will I just get crafting materials?

The reason I ask this is because I've got various runes which I've salvaged from purple Grawl gear and such things dropped by enemies, so I wasn't sure if these weapons would provide the same.

This may sound like a ridiculous question but I'd really appreciate the help :thumbsup: . If they end up being run-of-the-mill items with hardly any value then thats fine with me! :cool:

Hero Theron
09-07-2005, 15:36
I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum...
Anyway, I have been searching for three places I couldn't find:
1.Copperhammer mines
2.Camp Rankor
3.Mineral springs

if you dudes have any clues or directions, plz, I really need to know.

MastaFIN
09-07-2005, 16:49
Im still quite new to salvaging items for hilts/blades and for runes, but I have a little clue how it works. So, this is for you Capn Crunch:

For the first item, I think you would just get the normal items, like plank wood for example.

But for the second one, I think you could extract that +5 energy away, not sure allthought. I hope that someone more experienced than me can guide you on this.

Freawaru
09-07-2005, 16:58
On the question of salvagining items, what you need to understand is that there are three "parts" to any weapon. Two of the parts are upgrade components, and may or may not be on every weapon. The last part is the weapon itself.

You can easily tell if an item has upgrade components: it will have prefixes or suffixes attached to its name. "Zealous Forked Sword," "Cane of Trollslaying," or "Poisoner's Recurve Bow" all have one upgrade component. "Furious Fellblade of Warding," "Insightful Air Staff of Illusion Magic," and "Shocking Short Bow of Fortitude" all have two upgrade components. "Butterfly Sword," "Accursed Staff," or "Flatbow" all are without upgrade components.

This holds true even if the item is purple or gold and has certain inherent modifications made to its stats. These are inherent properties of the weapon - they can't be salvaged or transferred. Purple/Gold text only refers to the rarity of the item, not the presence or lack thereof of bonuses.

In other words, if you don't see a prefix or a suffix on the item's name, don't try to salvage it. You won't get your money's worth.
-FR
(unless, of course, it happens to be Highly Salvagable)

Capn Crunch
09-07-2005, 21:15
Righto, thanks for the help everyone :) .

The reason why I thought I might be able to salvage some kind of upgrade was that, for the runes which I obtained from enemy armour, they said things such as; "improves beast mastery" and "improves axe mastery". So I, naively, thought that the same applied for an item which said "quick recovery from Deep Wound".

I'd like to think that it was an easy mistake, but I'd just be trying to detract from the fact that I'm a noob :surprise:

Dirty Dale
09-07-2005, 23:41
I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not but here is my question.

Can someone tell me how I go about setting up a second account? The reason I'm asking is because I have two characters on my account and I only want one of them to be in a guild, the problem is everytime I make a guild or join one my second character automatically joins aswell but I only want my main character to be in it.

I know I'm going to have to delete my second character and put it on a seperate account to stop this problem but how do I start a second account?

Freawaru
10-07-2005, 00:38
The only way to start up a seperate account is to purchase a second activation key for the game. This is why you see some people talking about how many copies of the game they own - they might own two or three different keys to store all their characters/items/et cetera.
-FR
(wouldn't it be nice if characters were seperate - then we wouldn't have to buy more games...)

Dirty Dale
10-07-2005, 02:55
Well that sounds like a dirty marketing ploy if I have ever heard of one.

Odly
10-07-2005, 07:29
Hi is there a difference when I use a staff with 3-5 fire damage vs 3-5 water damage ?

Repr
10-07-2005, 14:57
Hi is there a difference when I use a staff with 3-5 fire damage vs 3-5 water damage ?

some monsters have higher or lower resistance vs certain types of damage. when you are in the shiverpeak mountains fire damage will do more effective damage then water damage. in the ring of fire water damage will be more effective.

Hero Theron
10-07-2005, 21:56
I keep hearing that it's possible to change your secondairy proffession?
Is this actually possible? or are they just rumours?
thanks in advance :clap:

MastaFIN
10-07-2005, 23:13
It is possible, but I dont know where, when or how. I think you will eventually get to that point, where you can change.

Repr
11-07-2005, 00:05
I keep hearing that it's possible to change your secondairy proffession?
Is this actually possible? or are they just rumours?
thanks in advance :clap:

after you have ascended and beaten the dragon facets youll come in Drognars forge. there youll get a quest to find 3 towns (destiny's gorge, heroes something and seekers passage) in the desert. in each of those 3 towns you can change your 2ndary proffession

Eugene Bi
12-07-2005, 21:13
I am looking at two Necro skills: Vampiric Gase that always steals X health and (ohh... forgot the name) the other that deals Y shadow damage and steals Y health if enemy is above 50%. Both cost the same 10 energy point and have close casting/recharge times. But X is significantly bigger than Y. I don't believe that Vampiric Gaze is outright better skill. But what's the catch?

Thanks,
Eugene

IBeJebus
12-07-2005, 21:19
I am looking at two Necro skills: Vampiric Gase that always steals X health and (ohh... forgot the name) the other that deals Y shadow damage and steals Y health if enemy is above 50%. Both cost the same 10 energy point and have close casting/recharge times. But X is significantly bigger than Y. I don't believe that Vampiric Gaze is outright better skill. But what's the catch?

Thanks,
Eugene

Uh its not outright better. If you looking at a pure health stealing, then yes it is better. But overall Shadow Strike does more damage as long as you target someone whose health is over 50%. I use both of them, but with Shadow Strike you can do close to 80 dmg, and not nearly that much with Vampiric Gaze.

Eugene Bi
12-07-2005, 21:31
Uh its not outright better. If you looking at a pure health stealing, then yes it is better. But overall Shadow Strike does more damage as long as you target someone whose health is over 50%. I use both of them, but with Shadow Strike you can do close to 80 dmg, and not nearly that much with Vampiric Gaze.

Ahhh... It does shadow damage and steals health in addition. I.e. if the target is above 50% it is actually 2xY damage to it + Y "undamage" to me. Makes sense, thanks a lot.

IBeJebus
12-07-2005, 21:34
Ahhh... It does shadow damage and steals health in addition. I.e. if the target is above 50% it is actually 2xY damage to it + Y "undamage" to me. Makes sense, thanks a lot.

Correct so just use it against foes with hp > than 50%, and youll be doing both damage and life stealing, which makes it a very nice spell for only 10 energy.

djmilhaus
14-07-2005, 07:57
How do I use the friend and/or ignore lists? I looked through the emotes page linked herein, but couldn't find anything. Nor could I find anything digging back a half dozen or so pages here, either. Considering how long I've played, I feel quite noobish for not figuring this out (though never joining a guild and not having any friends that play this game will do that).

Thanks in advance!

Repr
14-07-2005, 10:52
How do I use the friend and/or ignore lists? I looked through the emotes page linked herein, but couldn't find anything. Nor could I find anything digging back a half dozen or so pages here, either. Considering how long I've played, I feel quite noobish for not figuring this out (though never joining a guild and not having any friends that play this game will do that).

Thanks in advance!

just type the name of the person you want to add in the little text box. if that person is online and you want to msg him click on the name and you can send him a pm

djmilhaus
15-07-2005, 03:58
just type the name of the person you want to add in the little text box. if that person is online and you want to msg him click on the name and you can send him a pm

So I can create a list by typing in the text box? How can I tell who on my friend list is online, or do I go one by one? Still confused.

Dr No
15-07-2005, 11:46
Think I must have somehow got rid of my res signet ages ago (must've been creating storage space) - is there anyway of getting it back?

IBeJebus
15-07-2005, 14:53
So I can create a list by typing in the text box? How can I tell who on my friend list is online, or do I go one by one? Still confused.

In game, hit the N key. That brings up the friends/ignore list. You have 2 options. You can add someone to your friends list by typing their character name in the text box. you can do the same if you want to ignore someone. When they are online, it will say they are online.

Lets say you have 10 friends on your friends list. 5 of them are currentrly online. So under your friends list, itll have 2 subsections, Friends Online and Friends Offline. So itll show those 5 friends online and 5 friends offline.

IBeJebus
15-07-2005, 14:55
Think I must have somehow got rid of my res signet ages ago (must've been creating storage space) - is there anyway of getting it back?

Uh you cant get rid of your rez signet as it is a skill. Hit K in game and your rez signet should be in your skill list. If its not, you may not have gotten it. If you dont have it you can purchase it from the skill trainer in Ascalon City

djmilhaus
15-07-2005, 22:19
Awesome, THAT was what I needed. Thanks IBJ!

Catching Zees
19-07-2005, 10:30
What is a "smite group" or a "smite run"? Hear that all the time in the Temple of ages.

DRaGoN PRiNCe
19-07-2005, 11:49
I have this question... which really isn't that important but... does the size of your character affect the deepness of their voice? 'cuz i have this female elementalist with a voice i'd say would belong to maybe a teenage boy. Would that be because she's taller or does everyone have the same voice?

IBeJebus
19-07-2005, 14:48
I have this question... which really isn't that important but... does the size of your character affect the deepness of their voice? 'cuz i have this female elementalist with a voice i'd say would belong to maybe a teenage boy. Would that be because she's taller or does everyone have the same voice?

No, all of them have the same voice, it doesnt change depending on how tall or short the character is.

Yamato
20-07-2005, 02:10
How can I only deposit or withdraw a certain amount of items (not money) from my bank?

thesparkoid
20-07-2005, 16:24
hi excellent posting.

just one question.

your guide says that all the items avaialable in pre searing ascalon
are available in post searing, but i have been searching for days and leaving posts on forums to find leather belts for a collector in lions arch.

Everyone seems to think that the only place to get leather belts, is the quest "villaniny of galrath" but this is pre searing and there is no way back.

Any ideas???

thanks very much

Did you find this from personal experience or official reference? I haven't heard anything like this before. It sounds like a bug.

Yes, collectors at or after the desert will generally carry max-damage weapons and max-mana focus items.

You sorta need to play this by ear. In Ascalon you can buy armor that exceeds local collector quality. Once you reach the jungle, the collectors shift into high gear and are well worth visiting. The collectors continue to be good through the desert.

However, you can only get "basic" armor sets from collectors. If you want to get the non-basic armor types (pyromancer's, bonelace, judge's, etc) then you'll need to buy it at a vendor.

By the way, I can no longer edit my post, so I can't incorporate new changes posted in this thread. (note to mods: feel free to fix things that are wrong or make appropriate changes, I won't feel emotionally violated)

Argyros Theron
22-07-2005, 20:33
Why are skills at skill trainers costing more gold to buy? At first they were around 200g a skill. Now all skills are 400g for one for me. Does the prices raise with the more skills your character knows? What causes this? I changed my secondary profession a while back, so I lost alot of mesmer skills I had.

Repr
22-07-2005, 20:39
Why are skills at skill trainers costing more gold to buy? At first they were around 200g a skill. Now all skills are 400g for one for me. Does the prices raise with the more skills your character knows? What causes this? I changed my secondary profession a while back, so I lost alot of mesmer skills I had.

the first skill you buy cost 50 gold. after that it is raised with 10 gold for each skill you buy of a trainer. and you didnt loose that skills. if you change back to mesmer youll have them all again

IBeJebus
25-07-2005, 17:18
hi excellent posting.

just one question.

your guide says that all the items avaialable in pre searing ascalon
are available in post searing, but i have been searching for days and leaving posts on forums to find leather belts for a collector in lions arch.

Everyone seems to think that the only place to get leather belts, is the quest "villaniny of galrath" but this is pre searing and there is no way back.

Any ideas???

thanks very much

Villany of Galrath is not a pre-searing quest. You get the quest from First Watch Sergio in Lions Arch(hes also the skill trainer in that city). The quest takes you to Kessex Peak to complete it and is a tough quest.

DarkAges
28-07-2005, 16:36
Hello,I'm a true newbi,for I haven't even bought the game yet.The reason for this is I do a lot of investagative work before I buy,so my hard earned money doesn't go to waste.(I have way to many games that sit in a box and collect dust.)The reason for writing that is because the question I'm going to ask id alittle more off topic from what others have posted.

1Question:What is this, "Make sure you bring the right spells on a mission", statement?

I've done alot of reading here,and haven't come across an explanation of this.

2?:Do you have to purchase spells before each mission?
3?Is there a skill tree for each diff. char?
4?Is this a multiplayer game only?(now I understand you can do some solo missions,but can I do all missions solo,or will it be to frustrating and difficult to enjoy the game?

Note:I've been playing D2&LOD for a long time,plus I have spent a year with Sacred.Can you give me a quick but relatively detailed comparison between GW and those two?(I understand that GW is a diff. type of RPG,but are there simularities?-Set items for specific char?-uniques?-can the necromancer summon his own companions that follow with him throughout the game?

Thanks for taking the time with this reply!!

IBeJebus
28-07-2005, 16:59
Hello,I'm a true newbi,for I haven't even bought the game yet.The reason for this is I do a lot of investagative work before I buy,so my hard earned money doesn't go to waste.(I have way to many games that sit in a box and collect dust.)The reason for writing that is because the question I'm going to ask id alittle more off topic from what others have posted.

1Question:What is this, "Make sure you bring the right spells on a mission", statement?

4?Is this a multiplayer game only?(now I understand you can do some solo missions,but can I do all missions solo,or will it be to frustrating and difficult to enjoy the game?

Note:I've been playing D2&LOD for a long time,plus I have spent a year with Sacred.Can you give me a quick but relatively detailed comparison between GW and those two?(I understand that GW is a diff. type of RPG,but are there simularities?-Set items for specific char?-uniques?-can the necromancer summon his own companions that follow with him throughout the game?

ok here are some answers for ya..

#1: In Guild Wars, there are 75 skills available for each profession, since you will have 2 professions thats a possible 150 skills to choose from. You can only use 8 of them at a time however, and thats where the strategy part comes into play. You have to choose which 8 skills you want to bring with you as skills can only be switched when your in a city/outpost not when your out on a mission or quest.

#2: Nope. most spells you will acquire through various quests around the world. There are also elite skills than can only be captured from enemy boss monsters. Each profession has a few skill that can only be purchased but a good majority of them will be rewards for quests.

#3: No Skill tree. Every Profession has Attributes which you can put points into to make your skills/spells more powerful, but there is no tree where you have to learn one thing beofre you can learn another set up.

#4: No, you dont have to play with others, there are always NPC henchmen you can take with you that will follow and attack what you do. As far as soloing, GW was designed to be played in a group, whether its real people or with computer henchmen. It can be very tough to do Solo, but it can be possible sometimes.

Its hard to compare GW with other games as it is quite a different setup. Necromancers can summon minions, but they do dissapear after a while. Rangers can tame pets. As far as character specific items, there are items that have requirements on them and only the profession that meets the requirement can use that item to its full effect( anyone can still use it, but if you dont meet the requirement you dont get the full effect of the item)

Hope this helps :happy34:

gumpygrits
28-07-2005, 17:11

1: In GW you are limited to 8 skills at any time (no matter how many you know). Also, once you enter a mission or explorable area you can't change the skills you have in your skill bar.

2: You can learn skills by doing quests, buying them from skill traders, or capturing them from bosses. Depending on the skill it may be availble through any or all of these options.

3: Characters take two professions when they start. You can only use the skills specific to your two professions. Each profession's skills are connected to an attribute. Increasing an attribute will generally increase the power of the skills associated with that attribute. Unlike D2, you are allowed attribute refund points, so there is no case where you have to restart a character because you misused your attribute points.

4: The game is very team oriented, but you are not forced to play with other people. You have the option of adding class specific henchmen to your party if you don't want to play with other people in game.

Other things to note:

-Low level cap: 20 is the max level you can reach, and hitting level 20 does not take any grinding.
-Instanced areas: Missions and explorable areas are created for your party alone.
-No uber items: The game is more focused on developing your playing skill than on finding some great weapon.
-There is no ultimate class/build: The developers spent a bunch of time balancing the game so that no class is inherently better than another.

Hope this gives you a better idea/undrstanding of the game.

DarkAges
28-07-2005, 17:26
ok here are some answers for ya..

#1: In Guild Wars, there are 75 skills available for each profession, since you will have 2 professions thats a possible 150 skills to choose from. You can only use 8 of them at a time however, and thats where the strategy part comes into play. You have to choose which 8 skills you want to bring with you as skills can only be switched when your in a city/outpost not when your out on a mission or quest.
I see,so first time playing is more of a learning experience.I would eventually end up starting over,after knowing what areas have what resistences

#2: Nope. most spells you will acquire through various quests around the world. There are also elite skills than can only be captured from enemy boss monsters. Each profession has a few skill that can only be purchased but a good majority of them will be rewards for quests.
So,in a way,it's like trying to find Set items on D2 or Sacred.Also,does the lvl of monster,determine the lvl of spell?

#3: No Skill tree. Every Profession has Attributes which you can put points into to make your skills/spells more powerful, but there is no tree where you have to learn one thing beofre you can learn another set up.
So it's like Balder's Gate in that area?

Its hard to compare GW with other games as it is quite a different setup. Necromancers can summon minions, but they do dissapear after a while. Rangers can tame pets. As far as character specific items, there are items that have requirements on them and only the profession that meets the requirement can use that item to its full effect( anyone can still use it, but if you dont meet the requirement you dont get the full effect of the item)
O.k. That kind of sucks,(I liked my IK set or Tal Rasha),but can see the that they have approached a different way.Is there any special aruras that form around the char when they wear a specific item/items?

Repr
28-07-2005, 17:30
So,in a way,it's like trying to find Set items on D2 or Sacred.Also,does the lvl of monster,determine the lvl of spell?

no. at first the bosses dont have random stats. so you just need to find the location of the boss to get the spell. also there is no spell lvl. the higher the attribute is the spell belongs to, the higher the damage will be.

IBeJebus
28-07-2005, 17:33
I see,so first time playing is more of a learning experience.I would eventually end up starting over,after knowing what areas have what resistences

Well, you wouldnt have to start over. You might go into an area, realize you didnt pick the right skills, go back to a town and change skills and then head back out.

So it's like Balder's Gate in that area?

Sorta. You have attributes that you put points into and that increses the effectiveness of the skills.

Not really. There are only specific monsters that have the elite skills you can capture. The spells never change level as there are no level spells. The spells only improve when you add points into the attribute that is tied to that spell/skill.

DarkAges
28-07-2005, 17:35
Also,the only reason for playing solo,would be for the drop.As many have experienced in D2 and Sacred,not everyone is giving.If you know what I mean?

? about the drop:Is the drop effected by how many are present during the battle?For instance;If you solo the monster, would you get the same amount of drop,than if you were to fight the monster in a group?(kinda like MFin in D2,where the more the better)

IBeJebus
28-07-2005, 17:38
Also,the only reason for playing solo,would be for the drop.As many have experienced in D2 and Sacred,not everyone is giving.If you know what I mean?

? about the drop:Is the drop effected by how many are present during the battle?For instance;If you solo the monster, would you get the same amount of drop,than if you were to fight the monster in a group?(kinda like MFin in D2,where the more the better)

Every monster you kill will drop something. When playing with other people, the drops are assigned randomly to specific people to prevent people from just going around and collectiong all the loot. If you play with the NPC henchmen, even though they are the computer, they still get their share of loot. So if you kill something and nothing drops thats the henchmen getting a drop assigned to them. Same with gold. Its split up between all party members equally.

DarkAges
28-07-2005, 17:59
I want to thank you peeps for the information!! I am going to go pick this up and I'll let you all know what my impressions are. Thanks again

preacherklint
29-07-2005, 11:52
i will probably be smacked like the newb i am, but nobody seems to answer this. granted i could comb the forum, but alas i am an impatient newb. i really do have only one question

can you choose a single profession or are you forced to dual?
because i would like to single..

IBeJebus
29-07-2005, 14:45
i will probably be smacked like the newb i am, but nobody seems to answer this. granted i could comb the forum, but alas i am an impatient newb. i really do have only one question

can you choose a single profession or are you forced to dual?
because i would like to single..

You must have 2 professions. However that doesnt mean you have to actually use anything from your second profession. Lots of people only use the skills and attributes from their primary profession.

The only time you can have 1 profession is if you create a pvp only character.

DarkAges
29-07-2005, 18:09
Is there any way of getting some kind of stash or a locker for your misc. items that you really don't want to carry around with you because it just takes up space in your inventory in which you try to use for picking up items to sell,since the gold is so hard to come by.

I would also like to comment on my own post in this thread.I bought the game yesterday,and have put in a good 6 hrs. and came to the conclusion,that GW is more like Everquest than an action RPG like Diablo or Sacred.I have play Everquest3,and expierenced the same with GW.It's a well developed game,just missing a few things that I liked having in the others.

IbeJebus :Thanks for all your help in these 2 days.It's nice to see reply's within the same day.You keep me coming back for more. :winking47

IBeJebus
29-07-2005, 18:14
Is there any way of getting some kind of stash or a locker for your misc. items that you really don't want to carry around with you because it just takes up space in your inventory in which you try to use for picking up items to sell,since the gold is so hard to come by.

I would also like to comment on my own post in this thread.I bought the game yesterday,and have put in a good 6 hrs. and came to the conclusion,that GW is more like Everquest than an action RPG like Diablo or Sacred.I have play Everquest3,and expierenced the same with GW.It's a well developed game,just missing a few things that I liked having in the others.

IbeJebus :Thanks for all your help in these 2 days.It's nice to see reply's within the same day.You keep me coming back for more. :winking47

Thanks! Im happy to help anyway I can. About the storage... Are you in pre searing or post searing. By that I mean is the Land all nice and full of grass or does it look like a wasteland.

Once you cross over to post searing, there are people in every town called Xunlai Agents. You need to speak to one of them, pay 50 gold and then you get access to a storage spot. You can also buy bags in post searing to increase your character capacity that way. :happy34:

DarkAges
29-07-2005, 19:18
Thanks! Im happy to help anyway I can. About the storage... Are you in pre searing or post searing. By that I mean is the Land all nice and full of grass or does it look like a wasteland.

Once you cross over to post searing, there are people in every town called Xunlai Agents. You need to speak to one of them, pay 50 gold and then you get access to a storage spot. You can also buy bags in post searing to increase your character capacity that way. :happy34:
Nice!!!! I 'll keep an eye out for these areas.Currently I'm bouncing around the grassy areas and my all so loving necro area.(It's so dark and rich with flavor.LOL)Thanks again!

preacherklint
30-07-2005, 02:11
thanks for the info and the quick reply. just sucks thats how it has to be..

KyoUmerio
30-07-2005, 08:58
ok i feel really stupid, but while out capturing elite skills i keep hearing people say they know what type of skill the boss has by seeing his Aura, even before attacking him.... how do you see the Aura? i wanna know? i dont see it at all... it would be nice to see it.

~Kyo

Freawaru
30-07-2005, 16:14
ok i feel really stupid, but while out capturing elite skills i keep hearing people say they know what type of skill the boss has by seeing his Aura, even before attacking him.... how do you see the Aura?

You have to go into the Options menu and enable Post-Processing Effects. It might well be that your video card doesn't support said effects - mine doesn't, and is quite well due for an update soon. This seems to be a particular problem with people using NVidia GeForce 4MX cards, since the cards run the game excellently... but don't support the DirectX functions necessary to use post-processing effects.
-FR
(oh, I can't wait to see how pretty GW can be when I upgrade)

DarkAges
30-07-2005, 18:19
I have ? about the crafters.Are there any crafters that i can find in the post-searing?I have the right materials for it,but can't find any crafters.Now there is 1 that will show items that you pick to be crafted,but I still have yet to find one that provides the required window screen in order to craft. :(

IBeJebus
30-07-2005, 18:29
I have ? about the crafters.Are there any crafters that i can find in the post-searing?I have the right materials for it,but can't find any crafters.Now there is 1 that will show items that you pick to be crafted,but I still have yet to find one that provides the required window screen in order to craft. :(

Are you talking about armor crafting? If so there are 2 armor crafters in Ascalon City. If your talking about material crafters they are spread out throughout the world.

DarkAges
30-07-2005, 18:52
Are you talking about armor crafting? If so there are 2 armor crafters in Ascalon City. If your talking about material crafters they are spread out throughout the world.
Armor crafting,but was unable to find them in the city.I'll look again.What I have been currently doing,is been gathering the necassary items for the collector's,and then in return,they would give me a piece of armor.

DarkAges
30-07-2005, 21:10
Never mind. I went and completed all the post quests and moved on to the waste land area of ascaron and found all the crafters and such.It's obivious that the crafters you need in order to craft armor and such, are not around in the post or training area.

katintokyo
01-08-2005, 05:53
Hi. I have 4 PvE characters running around, but havent really tried PvP yet as my guild isnt really into it yet. My question(s) is(are) the following:

If you make a Pvp character, does it take up one of your 4 character slots? Does this mean (by extrapolation) that PvE players and PvP players usually have to be of the same class? (Because I heard/read/understand that you unlock skills etc for use in PvP by playing PvE, right, therefore you only have up to 4 character-type's skills to work with if you have 2 PvE characters...)

Is this correct or am I wrong?

The reason I ask is that I REALLY like playing with all my characters, but if I want to use a character skill set to make a PvP character, I have to lose 1 PvE character (i.e. of the 4 that I already have) to make PvP?

thanks for your help

IBeJebus
01-08-2005, 14:48
Hi. I have 4 PvE characters running around, but havent really tried PvP yet as my guild isnt really into it yet. My question(s) is(are) the following:

If you make a Pvp character, does it take up one of your 4 character slots? Does this mean (by extrapolation) that PvE players and PvP players usually have to be of the same class? (Because I heard/read/understand that you unlock skills etc for use in PvP by playing PvE, right, therefore you only have up to 4 character-type's skills to work with if you have 2 PvE characters...)

Is this correct or am I wrong?

The reason I ask is that I REALLY like playing with all my characters, but if I want to use a character skill set to make a PvP character, I have to lose 1 PvE character (i.e. of the 4 that I already have) to make PvP?

thanks for your help

Yes PvP characters do take up one of your characater slots.Usually the way people do it is to use three slots for PvE, using all six classes and then using the last slot for PvP characters. Since PvP characters are easily created, most people just create/delete/create pvp characters for what type of build and class combos they want to use at the time.So since you have 4 characters already, youd have to delete one in order to make a PvP only character.

katintokyo
02-08-2005, 02:33
Yes PvP characters do take up one of your characater slots.Usually the way people do it is to use three slots for PvE, using all six classes and then using the last slot for PvP characters.

Thanks for the info.

Elessar the True
03-08-2005, 02:01
Oddly, I can't find this anywhere on this site. How does one post pictures in messages? This info should be easier to find, both in the interface and the help documentation. Thx!

Tiebo Sigmismund
03-08-2005, 14:56
Oddly, I can't find this anywhere on this site. How does one post pictures in messages? This info should be easier to find, both in the interface and the help documentation. Thx!

That'd be uploading to an image hosting website, such as www.imageshack.us, then copying the url and putting it inbetween [ IMG]www.myhost.com/picture.gif[ IMG] (without the spaces of course)

The Bursar
04-08-2005, 14:49
Hi, I have played the game for over 3 months now (just not a lot of free time)
and there are certain things i can't seem to figure out. If you could help me, it would be most helpful.

Do you lose your signet of capture if you use it when there are no skills to capture (wrong class, already known) on the nearby dead boss?

What is the difference between fame and rank?

I understand (from this thread) how to use the "control" key to communicate your actions, but how do you communicate your level and the percentage of experience points needed for the next?

How many arenas for random groups are there (in PvE, i know ascalon, yak's and the competition arenas)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

IBeJebus
04-08-2005, 14:57
Hi, I have played the game for over 3 months now (just not a lot of free time)
and there are certain things i can't seem to figure out. If you could help me, it would be most helpful.

Do you lose your signet of capture if you use it when there are no skills to capture (wrong class, already known) on the nearby dead boss?

What is the difference between fame and rank?

I understand (from this thread) how to use the "control" key to communicate your actions, but how do you communicate your level and the percentage of experience points needed for the next?

How many arenas for random groups are there (in PvE, i know ascalon, yak's and the competition arenas)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ok here we go.

#1. No you dont lose it. You get to choose which skill to capture and if there are none to capture you can just cancel the action and still have it on your bar.

#2. Fame and Rank are the same thing. The more fame you have, the higher your rank will be. If I remember correctly Rank 1 is 25 fame, Rank 2 is 75, rank 3 is 150 and so on.

#3.Just hold control and click on the XP bar with your mouse. You can do it for everything, calling what skill your using, how much energy you have all of that. Just hold ctrl+ click the appropriate bar or skill.

#4. Just those three you mentioned. Ascalon for level 10 and below, Yaks for 10-15, and Lions Arch for 16-20.

The Bursar
04-08-2005, 15:03
Ok here we go.

#1. No you dont lose it. You get to choose which skill to capture and if there are none to capture you can just cancel the action and still have it on your bar.

#2. Fame and Rank are the same thing. The more fame you have, the higher your rank will be. If I remember correctly Rank 1 is 25 fame, Rank 2 is 75, rank 3 is 150 and so on.

#3.Just hold control and click on the XP bar with your mouse. You can do it for everything, calling what skill your using, how much energy you have all of that. Just hold ctrl+ click the appropriate bar or skill.

#4. Just those three you mentioned. Ascalon for level 10 and below, Yaks for 10-15, and Lions Arch for 16-20.

Thanks a lot! One question though, do you need special settings for ctrl-clicking? I can't seem to get it to work.

IBeJebus
04-08-2005, 15:05
Thanks a lot! One question though, do you need special settings for ctrl-clicking? I can't seem to get it to work.

nope just hold down ctrl and click on something with your mouse. It should work no problem
just try with different things. You can click anything, like your health, energy, XP bars, it should work no problem.

Eragon The Defiler
07-08-2005, 23:45
ok, what is this thing??? what does it do and why is it 99k at the sigil trader?? :confused:
can u please tell me whts its for?

thanks alot eragon