PDA

View Full Version : Ranger pets

Kyark
21-04-2005, 00:05
Is there a list anywhere of all of the different pets a ranger could tame? I only ever had the cat...and thought about taming a moa bird. What else is there, for those of you that made it further or have other sources of info?

Thanks!

Sean Wolfe
21-04-2005, 00:10
Is there a list anywhere of all of the different pets a ranger could tame? I only ever had the cat...and thought about taming a moa bird. What else is there, for those of you that made it further or have other sources of info?

Thanks!
I know of these animals that you can tame as pets. There's probly more but this is the list I personally know of:

Strider (same as Moa Bird?)
Moa Bird
Snow Wolf
Melanudru's Stalker (spelling)
Warthog

That's the list I know of right off the top of my head. I don't remember where to find some of them but I know they exist as usable pets.

Hope others add to this list.

Fallen_62
21-04-2005, 00:20
I know of these animals that you can tame as pets. There's probly more but this is the list I personally know of:

Strider (same as Moa Bird?)
Moa Bird
Snow Wolf
Melanudru's Stalker (spelling)
Warthog

That's the list I know of right off the top of my head. I don't remember where to find some of them but I know they exist as usable pets.

Hope others add to this list.

I dont think you can tame striders, unless they changed it last BWE. There is also a Lynx that you can charm

Strider: Pre-seared Ascalon (not sure if you can charm these)
Moa Bird: Post-seared Ascalon
Snow Wolf: Shiverpeak Mountains
Melandru's Stalker: Pre-Seared Ascalon
Warthog: "Jungle" missions and Kryta
Lynx: "Jungle" missions and Kryta

GrimmFury
21-04-2005, 04:02
charmed a pre seer wolf ....as a ranger/mes,,,,it took many break charms and many wolves to do it at level 1 and many deaths lol

we tried get a bear for my friend that is a war/ranger,,, after 2 hrs of my now level 8 ranger/me and my wolf getting beaten to a pulp... no bear or wolf for my friend who had a 6 in beastmastery

while i at level 1 charmed a level 2 wolf with no points in beast

think you have to be a ranger primary to charm red named animals...green ones i think or for everyone else

places first seen pets in

*wolf...pre seered ascalon,regent valley,wizards folly
*strider...pre seered ascalon
*bear...regent valley,wizards folly
*fern lizard... pre seered breech
*moss spider......regent valley
*melandru's stalker...regent valley
*moa bird ...old ascalon exploreable area/great wall mision
*snow wolf... explorable area after yaks bend..and snowy missions after that
*lynx.... mission just after lions arch
*wart hog..hengravel or something like that

**think rogue bull would be a special..uncharmable animal..but will try after release

kefkathemad
21-04-2005, 04:58
Anyone know if there's any appreciable difference between the different animals? I had heard from previous BWEs that they were more or less all the same and I'm wondering if they changed that.

It'd put some strategy in it if some animals were good at attacking, or good at tanking, or maybe one was insanely strong but died in one hit.

Precha NBK
21-04-2005, 08:57
Yeah they must have changed it, cause this past BWE my friend charmmed a stryder for half the weekend then a moa bird the last half.

It was funny, only problem was that everytime we tried taking a screenshot that silly chicken seemed to wander into the shot everytime. lol.

I dunno if different animals are stronger then others. I wanna say they are, but don't quote me on that. Because I carried a melandru stalker for a while, think i got him to lvl 8. My friend had a stryder that was lvl 7. But it seemed his bird died ALOT more and lost health more quickly then my stalker. Don't think he had a death pentalty either. So dunno, but thats a good question I'd like answered too.

GrimmFury
21-04-2005, 10:25
moa bird died a lot if neglected...
same with stalker

i think it has more to do with beast mastery than with pet itself

what was your beastmastery compared to your friends beast mastery attributes

say like you put two points in and and had moa bird..and he put none in and had stalker

i would put money on moa... you are more like to have better calls and a better heal for it

i think it be real cool if each type had a special to make it different from rest

Precha NBK
21-04-2005, 20:18
Yeah, good point, I didn't think about the attrib points.

And yeah that would be a pretty neat thing for each animal to have just one individual skill that separated it from the rest.

willowblades
24-04-2005, 08:06
I tried to charm one of the spiders (the ones with the green writing) and it said it wasnt an animal. Dont know if that was a bug (pardon the pun) or not but I was ranger primary. :D

cmagnani
24-04-2005, 11:08
Has ANYONE ever charmed a bear?

Benward
24-04-2005, 13:28
I know for a fact that the Striders are charmable considering I had one for the longest time. I think the bears are not able to be charmed but thats only from my experience. I didn't have the highest beast mastery though.

Benny

GammaRay
24-04-2005, 19:22
Some people have indicated that the bear may be charmable. The Pre-Searing wolves have the same Break Charm skill as the Bears, but someone said they were able to successfully charm an Ascalon Wolf, but they had to have two people -- one tanking, and both hammering it with Charm (although it took many tries, reportedly). Another said that they were able to get the Charm bar up to 50% completed before a Bear was able to use Break Charm.

I figure if the Ascalon Wolf was charmable like that, then there's a slim chance that the Bear is charmable -- you just have to keep it occupied and keep hitting it with Charm. I'll be sure to try it out on release with a friend -- a bear would make for an AWESOME pet.

As for the Lizards and Spiders...well, I think that they'd also be a blast to have as charmable pets! Even if they're not spectacular, there's that whole variety bit. :P

Xedu
26-04-2005, 03:36
I've used a pet since I started the betas in Nov and I wouldn't have it any other way. Once I got Call of Feeding (no longer exists) my pet and I did not fair too badly in PvE or PvP. But it is a shame that it takes a minimum of 3 skill slots to keep up with my pet.

Just waiting on some help HERE!!!

http://img11.imagevenue.com/loc53/th_730_meandmoa.JPG (http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc53&image=730_meandmoa.JPG)

Arrow Whisper
28-04-2005, 16:20
I tried last night for about 20 minutes to charm a bear. He just kept breaking my charm spell. I think that Brutal Maw would come in very handy if someone could ever get it charmed.

Bo Straightarrow
28-04-2005, 16:53
If you don't like your Pet's name then do what I did:

/petname <yourpetnamegoeshere>

Best Regards,
Bo Straightarrow
[TGoA] Guildmaster

TykeMörbult
28-04-2005, 19:26
In a PvP/PvE fight, does the pet dmg matter anything?

What I can remeber from one of the early betas pets were quite neglected when fighting in the arena/tombs... but I am not sure tho;P (long time ago, bad memory^^)

GammaRay
28-04-2005, 21:12
I'm not sure about it...I think maybe the damage was improved a little bit? I haven't used a pet in a while, but I don't remember my wolf ever doing any noticeable damage. Now it does about as much damage as I do. We're both at level 7 in pre-searing Ascalon.

TykeMörbult
28-04-2005, 22:14
But are pets useless in PvP/PvE atm? In that case wouldn't it make Rangers a little gimp seeing that the pet is part of their skills?

GammaRay
29-04-2005, 00:08
I've got BeastMaster ideas in mind, as I intend to prove that pets can be effective in PVP (or disprove, if that's the case)...but it'll probably be a few weeks, maybe even a month before I have all the necessary skills, equipment, and Runes.

They can be handy in PVE though, that much is for sure. Whether it's that extra damage or just acting as a distraction, they are useful.

jajamoo
29-04-2005, 02:03
ok my pet died but i forget WHERE it died... can i rez it any other way than to go find it out there in the world using Comfort Pet on its corpse (cuz i dont REMEMBER where the Corpse IS) ...im stuck..i miss me pet :(

help! :( :(

Mgzkun
29-04-2005, 07:05
I love my pet!! (the stalker) . I got him since lvl 2 and now i and he both lvl 7 :D .. he is a crazy tank I don't know what do I do without him...

and i'm sure that i won't trade him for anything... snow wolf, lynx, etc.. who cares!!

OldPete
29-04-2005, 07:29
does anyone know a good way to find warthogs?
I want a neat pet for my Mesm/Ranger, when I started whole ascalon was flooded with warthogs, after getting the skill, dumping the questpet and heading back, no warthogs anymore :(

Ok, I got a wolf (rather easy) and I think I will stick with him, but nevertheless I would like to know if there is an area where warthogs can be found.

Oh, and btw, I think there is a lizardlike creature that seemed tameable too, behind the gate with the lever you need to open it. Cant be sure though, was no ranger that time :)

draconis0101
29-04-2005, 20:14
Alrigh, a couple of things since the release. To res your animal, just go back to town and keep the skill listed. Then go back out. Should be alive. Second, animals you can't charm due to the fact that the game states "invalid target" The One Rabbit!! I wanted this soooooo bad. Bugs, including the bees from ashford town. And unfortunately, you can't charm the Fern Lizard from the lever area in Pre-Searing Ascalon. Trust me, I lost my lv 6 stalker cause I wanted that lizard.

Kougarr Shadowsbane
29-04-2005, 21:19
Does that mean once you get rid of a pet you can't get it back if you're not happy with the one you have..?

Example; you have a stalker, but want to try a wolf. Find out it sucks and want to go back to a stalker.

i.e
Stalker > Wolf > Stalker

Sorry, if this seems like a lame question.
I looked around and couldn' t seem to find the answer i was looking for.

draconis0101
29-04-2005, 21:44
Nope, unfortunately you lose it forever. Sucks huh.

GammaRay
30-04-2005, 03:26
Yep, I dumped my level 8 wolf so that I could get a bear (still working on that). He's gone forever...but if I get a bear, it'll be worth it.

Kougarr Shadowsbane
30-04-2005, 15:33
Oh man,
That does suck...

I'm going to have to search around some more to find out what kinda of damage each pet does.

Oh well, thanks for the quick replies guys :thumbsup:

Neo Alastor
30-04-2005, 21:59
Yep, I dumped my level 8 wolf so that I could get a bear (still working on that). He's gone forever...but if I get a bear, it'll be worth it.

^ I'll can help you find a bear if you've reached Beacon's Perch. Just pm Nameless Vagrant

GammaRay
01-05-2005, 02:51
It's ok. I would have had to dump it anyway for the skill from Nente in post-searing. I'll get a bear eventually, but until the 8 second de-charge of skills is dealt with, frankly, pets are even more of a liability than EVER before (and I say this as a person having played all the BWE's).

Kastimizillion
01-05-2005, 23:02
Melandru's Stalker + Monk enchantment Strength of Honor (+1-9 damage in melee) + the shout that makes your pet attack 25% faster makes for a decent damage add to the bow.

Mobs were going down faster with my pet (Fury of Dii) =)

blacksabbath
09-05-2005, 07:13
i have a theory about the bear if u are lvl 1 4this might be possible

take away all ur atributes and split it between marks man and animal mastery cause maybe if u have like lvl 11 animal mastery and lvl 10 marks man u may be able to get the bear

or my other theory is have a buddy withprimary mesnomer use domination on the bear while you get the animal mastery spell cause if domination lets a person disrupt the bears actions that means he cant attack you which in theory might allow a person with a lvl 11 animal mastery to tame a bear

i personally have not tried either of my theorys but they might work i just havent found any mesmers with a high enough domination lvl

if u want u can pm me on xfire sn is grimblacksabbath
or my game name is Reaper O Darkness or even pm me in here

GammaRay
09-05-2005, 13:08
Unfortunately, none of the spells needed to negate the Pre-Searing bear's Break Charm are available till after the searing (things like Black Out and the likes). There are two listed ways of charming the pre-searing bear on the forums somewhere, but you might as well just stick with the stalker until you get to post-searing (for the Hunter's Shot skill from Nente).

The post-searing Bears in Lornar's Pass and the other southern Shiverpeaks are entirely tamable like a regular animal. No tricks needed. 8D

Tektronix
23-06-2005, 08:42
Anyone know where i can tame a Melandru Stalker Post-Sear?

krispykritter
23-06-2005, 16:52
Anyone know where i can tame a Melandru Stalker Post-Sear?

There's only one and its located in Old Ascalon somewhere on the west side of the map, either near Gate Guard Holis (entrance to the breech) or near the Sanatarium, I can't remember which.