PDA

View Full Version : Storyline and Sidequests.

Kirsty
21-04-2005, 09:36
When the game comes out I will start to do a lot of pve at first to know the storyline and do many subquests. I want to see the grandure of all the areas and little places you can go to and I want to talk to everyone in the gaming world.
As I do this I realised it would be a great opportunity to actually keep track of the entire storyline and the particular ways to complete all the subquests. I could write sort of a walkthrough with additional information about the development of the storyline.

In particular, it would be nice to document all the small quests around the world maps which will end with skill rewards. This is already partially done in the compilation of gwonline, but I noticed that there are now soo many more than last BWE.
For some of you who may rush a character through the game to unlock late game skills this may also become handy to see which early game skills you might have missed. I don't know about documenting capturing skills though, that'd still be up to gwonline.

Good idea, bad idea, thoughts?

Cantos
21-04-2005, 10:52
It's a good idea. Do you want help from people playing other classes? I got *a lot* of the pre searing quests playing my W/N. I was having difficulty finding more anyway. I would like to do that again.

Mortshd
21-04-2005, 12:52
Very good idea, indeed. Since now we don't have to rush for the ending time like in the BWE, it's great to explore all the areas.

Trancinghof
21-04-2005, 13:08
Well, I would like to see that document. Im gonna rush thru it to get my late skills and be lvl 20 within days. :P But guildwarsguru already got a skill listing where I can check the skills I need and what trainers that learn me em :worship:

Pyro Gl
21-04-2005, 16:18
i'm planning out what skills i'm going to buy from what trainer and how i'm going to change my build every time :D

Kirsty
21-04-2005, 17:39
Well, the thing is that you can earn a lot of skills in-game by completing a few easy quests. I found out last BWE that I had bought some quests from trainers which were also rewarded to me by mid-game quests around Yak's Bend. That's not really cost-effective considering there are 150 skills, so you would want be selective with buying skills.

Of course there is the skill charm trading... hmm... well, I'm going to do this logging of skills and quests anyway. I already have four characters planned spanning all the different professions, the problem is that I cannot play them all continuously in the first weeks of the BWE.
I would appreciate some help from people who play different classes than me, but I don't know which one to start with myself.

1. Ranger/Necromancer
2. Elementalist/Warrior
3. Mesmer/Elementalist
4. Monk/Ranger

I think I'll reorganise my bf's homepage and put everything on there.

Spook_Cell
21-04-2005, 18:08
Skill charms and rings no longer exist in game, or at least they didn't the last time I checked.

Kirsty
21-04-2005, 18:08
They don't? That is very interesting.

oknom
21-04-2005, 18:16
thats a really good idea and i'll be willing to help you out.

this would be a good thread to start getting some pve groups together

Minelle Tempest
21-04-2005, 22:26
Great idea. :happy14:

I've actually tried to compile a list of the pre-sear profession trainers, their quests and the rewards. Might that be of interest to anyone? (I'm lacking in the warrior and necro department, though...)

Pyro Gl
21-04-2005, 22:38
i know all the mesmer and elementalist skills, lemme know if you need them :D

Zero
21-04-2005, 22:51

I've actually tried to compile a list of the pre-sear profession trainers, their quests and the rewards. Might that be of interest to anyone? (I'm lacking in the warrior and necro department, though...)
Well isn't that lucky, seeing as one of my two chars is a W/N :happy34:

Kirsty
21-04-2005, 23:25
Yes Minnie. That's the general idea, but then also for the other quests.

Pyro Gl
22-04-2005, 02:28
anyone notice that there are 2 devourer quests and only one egg? one is the worm problem and the other you get from Old Mach, don't remember the name. was there a way to get a second egg?

Minelle Tempest
22-04-2005, 02:33
Yes Minnie. That's the general idea, but then also for the other quests.
Well, I'd be more than happy to pursue this quest for knowledge. Just let me know what info needs gathering, and I'll see what I can contribute with.

Cantos
22-04-2005, 02:48
anyone notice that there are 2 devourer quests and only one egg? one is the worm problem and the other you get from Old Mach, don't remember the name. was there a way to get a second egg?

Well when I was doing the queen worm in the farmer's fields quest, the first time it didnt work, so I had to walk all the way back through Ashford past all the annoying things to grab a second egg to retry it.

Pyro Gl
22-04-2005, 03:09
where do you get the 2nd egg from? does he just had you another?

oknom
22-04-2005, 03:40
i had to get a second egg as well. he is just waiting for you outside the cave again and you run through and kill everything again.

Kirsty
22-04-2005, 08:17
You can do the devourer cave several times. The BWE before last you would only get an egg if you had been given the "Rogue replacement" quest by the farmer or the "Worm Queen" quest by... the other farmer, :lol: . Now I think you always get an egg.

I think I'm going to set it up as following:

Starting the 28th I will compile three lists, which will for the moment be only quest titles. These are:
- class specific quests (including quests that result in skill rewards)
- storyline quests
- local quests (unrelated to storyline)

After completion of each quest I will update my bf's webpage to have full description and detail on storyline developments.

If anyone would like to help, you can do so by contributing:
- quest title
- quest giver
- location of the quest giver
- required pre-quests

I'd rather not have any solutions to local and storyline because I want to figure it all out for myself. When it concerns class specific quests I can understand people to be anxious enough to want to know the end result so with these quests it's perfectly fine to hand me the results.

I think Luc and me will be playing often enough to keep the list of quests updated several times per week.

Alexiel
22-04-2005, 08:33

The necromancer is the only profession of which I am aware of a third trainer. He offers curses. I won't spoil it by mentioning where to find him just that he exists.

I have a list of all the skills pre-searing offered in March but April had a few changes, for example, primary Monks created from level 1 in April BWE received Healing Breeze first up. Primary necromancers get Vampiric Gaze, I believe. Perhaps I should use a Necromancer primary instead of Mesmer. :p

As I played a necromancer secondary in the April BWE the skills available in Pre-searing are: Life Siphon, Deathly Swarm and Animate Bone Horror from Munne who gives you two quests: Kill the Nightmare creature and light the memorial torches.

I believe the woman in Green Hills County, the second trainer, offers Vampiric Touch and her task is that you dispatch some of her students who are in lots of trouble. Fanatics who like to use Dark Pact, apparently.

The necromancer is the only profession for which there is a third trainer, as far as I'm aware, and he gifts young necromancers with Soul Barbs and Faintheartedness in exchange for assisting him by killing some creatures that keep bothering him.

Finding the third trainer is insanely easy if you get another quest it leads you right to him with a quest arrow. No doubt most of you know this already. I'm not telling which so as not to spoil anyone else.

Cantos
22-04-2005, 08:33
- quest title
- quest giver
- required pre-quests

How can we determine which quests are pre-requisites?

Kirsty
22-04-2005, 09:05
Alexiel, that's a nice summary. I remember it to be correct, hehehe.

Cantos, maybe I shouldn't really say prequisite quests, but just prequisites.

Some quests need to be completed before an NPC will give a second quest or you must have done something before the quest becomesavailable. They're often class specific quests though but I know some aren't.

One example is the Rogue replacement in pre-ascalon where you have to get an egg from Faddorn (spelling?). Farmer Dirk (name?) will give you the quest only if you've slain his bull in the quest from lady Althea, the mesmer trainer.

Something that isn't really a prequisite quest, but prequisite occurrence is the resurrection signet, a quest which will only be given to you the second time you travel into the ascalon area.

Likewise I believe one of the quests given by someone in ascalon city will only become available the second time you enter ascalon.

I know you can't always know if you need to have done something before a quest triggers but in some cases you can notice it.

Zero
22-04-2005, 11:42
Another example would be prince Rurik and the charr in the catacombs mission. You cannot get that quest until you do the grawl invasion quest. That is wen devona see's the charr and that is when the quest is unlocked.

Master of Might
22-04-2005, 18:19
I'm up for helping. I will keep track of the quest, I do, and then we can compare notes. I think this is a great idea, and is very help in starting new characters.

Alexiel
23-04-2005, 15:15
Another example would be prince Rurik and the charr in the catacombs mission. You cannot get that quest until you do the grawl invasion quest. That is wen devona see's the charr and that is when the quest is unlocked.

Which in itself, is not available all the time. I have no way of proving it, but I suspect the grawl invasion quest is based on your level? It is not until I am level 2 or 3 or so, I think, that the guardsman/crier or whatever his title, just inside the Lakeside gate will offer it.

Incidentally, did anyone get the "Find the perfect gift" quest this weekend? Captain what's his name didn't give it this time around for me, he was too busy talking to Rurik, though, from what I overheard, it was about the dear Lady. Perhaps there is a pre-requisite for this one too, now?

Kirsty
23-04-2005, 16:46
Yep, it's a solvable quest alright

Hunt3r_kill4
24-04-2005, 01:47
You can do the devourer cave several times. The BWE before last you would only get an egg if you had been given the "Rogue replacement" quest by the farmer or the "Worm Queen" quest by... the other farmer, :lol: . Now I think you always get an egg.

I think I'm going to set it up as following:

Starting the 28th I will compile three lists, which will for the moment be only quest titles. These are:
- class specific quests (including quests that result in skill rewards)
- storyline quests
- local quests (unrelated to storyline)

After completion of each quest I will update my bf's webpage to have full description and detail on storyline developments.

- quest title
- quest giver
- required pre-quests

Props to you for all that work. Personally, I'd just like to focus on my own character.

Cantos
24-04-2005, 05:21
I will write down all the quests I do, but I have some questions

How should I report my quest information to you? Are there some quests that I shouldnt bother describing? That is, you will obviously be doing mission quests, so should I bother with those? And if no, what professions do you intend to start with? Should I not bother to report quests only available to those professions? Do you want any description or paraphrase of the 'story' that each quest has in the log? Do you need to know the quest rewards as reported by the quest log?

Balazaar
24-04-2005, 12:55
- quest title
- quest giver
- required pre-quests

I'll help, but I have some questions (Cantos asked the other questions I had :happy34: )
- Do you want included map screen shots for locations?
- How do you want to be notified (IM, e-mail, post here)?

Also a general question: Would we want this information gathered and posted as a thread here (or a set of threads), or on the Order of Dii web site by Xircon?

Alexiel
24-04-2005, 14:43
Are there some quests that I shouldnt bother describing? No doubt. I can't help there, but I can offer what would particularly interest me, and no doubt some others; Who gives them and what quests offer skills as rewards.

In particular, the universal ones, quests offered to all professions, such as... uhh... what's his name? Starts with H. In front of the open gate to "The Breach", you take him recruits. Anyway, he gives you a task to go to Piken Square and there's a skill as a reward as well as 500XP for that quest, if memory serves. Considering that's not a class specific quest I expect every class would be offered a different skill as a reward. Very handy.

The specifics of the quest, I think, were to deliver supply stores (he gives two quests, only one with a skill reward). I got as far as the supply group who were... let's be honest, standing around, but alas, 'alone' I could not make it to Piken Square (henchmen don't really count). I am a little more practiced now so I'll be giving it another shot come next week.

Also of note would be the skill that is offered for each class. For the life of me, I cannot remember what was offered my Me/N... I think it was related to the primary class, though.

Kirsty
24-04-2005, 16:00
I hope to answer all the questions below.

first some peace and quiet
I am going to start gaming on the 28th if my game has actually arrived by then. I ask you guys to give me the first few days and the first weekend to get this questlogging started on my own, and then I will gradually expand by input from the guild community. I don't want to be swamped by early emails which would keep me from playing by/with myself and with my boyfriend.

So until May 2nd I will not be expecting any input from the community.

Basically, you can send me emails with quests but they will not be reviewed before that day.

pre-searing
I think that I can complete the majority of the descriptions from the pre-searing quests by May 2nd and put them on my bfs webpage. I think it's best if noone keeps track of these other than maybe the quest titles and who gives the quests. We would just end up doing things double. I don't want you all to do a lot of work only to find out I already completed the descriptions myself.

The only quests for you to keep track of are the profession specific quests.
I myself will start with a Ranger/Necromancer and Luc will play elementalist/warrior. That leaves monk and mesmer quests open, but keeping track of the other professions as backup is a good idea too.

quest lists
My first priority is my own pve fun, so in order not to spoil my own questing joy I will have to come up with some solution to keep progression of the quest logging not to be faster than my own progression into the game. The problem is that some of you will probably go through the game faster and will submit quests that I will not have reached yet. In order to sort things out I want to suggest the following.

I will keep the list of quests based on areas.
On the main page of Luc's website I will document where I have been up till then but I will include links to areas I haven't visited yet. If I receive quests located in those areas I will be able to list them under these links as submitted by contributors. This means I will simply copy-paste the contents of emails into these areas without even reading them (thoroughly, I will check for nonsense).

Per area I will also order the quests as local, profession and storyline. I think I will also make a separate list of skill rewards per area/quest.

I will have to see how I progress but if everything goes well and Xircon decides he wants to put it on the guild pages we can always discuss this. It could be easier to link from the guildpages onto our own website or I could be given access to some subweb of the guildpages. That's all future debate and I will not trouble myself or Xircon with it just yet.

submitting quests
Quests need to be submitted in the following manner.

*- Area
*- Quest Title
*- Is the quest: local, profession, storyline
- Skill rewards?
- Prequisites? (other quests required or simply profession related)
*- Quest Giver (and location?)
- Quest Log Description
- Additional Quest Information
- Solution
- Other Tips
- If you want, you can send in a screenshot of the map with all destinations indicated. I do ask to make these jpg files and preferably <50kb. I will most likely make my own screenshots as I progress myself, but if you have something cool to show I will not keep others from seeing it.
*- Your forum name / member name / invited character nickname
- Anything else you want to be known about yourself, like "World", "Messenger addy" or whatever.

Everything with an * is required for submission, the rest depends whether they are applicable or not and whether you want to go through the full length of typing everything out.

For the moment I will use my personal email: cahouben@hotmail.com (2 megs total space), but I will make a gmail account to allow people to submit pictures. Address to follow.

looking up which quests are submitted
Sometime next week I will start a new thread where I will list all the quest titles I have come across up till then and those I have received through email. I will also note their status as "submitted", "checked" and "solved". For the final descriptions you will be referred to the website (address will be given in the thread).

looking up which quests are checked and solved
First thing to do is to look at the quest status thread which I will create next week. If a quest is not listed yet, you can make a contribution to one of my email addresses.

Contributors can submit quests as descriptions or with the complete solution. That is up to the contributor him/herself. If someone finds a quest submission to be lacking and wants to add a little something, all the better I'd say.
When I actually get to a new area and complete the quests myself I will add the notice that they are checked and solved, the contributor submitted quests will then be edited into a nicer description (if needed). Credits will also be added.

Credits
I judge with a "first come, first credit". If two people give the same quest descriptions with the same solution etcetera, only the first person who submitted it will be mentioned. If someone has an addendum to submit to an already submitted quest, both names will appear.

Kirsty
24-04-2005, 16:12
1. How should I report my quest information to you?Should be clear now.

Are there some quests that I shouldnt bother describing? That is, you will obviously be doing mission quests, so should I bother with those?I think we'll have to see how fast I progress. I think it's wise to write down the main idea of the mission quests. If you really want to rush through to the end of the game in one day you are welcome to keep track of them all and I will put them on my website log as "unchecked", but they will be listed already with description if given.

And if no, what professions do you intend to start with?Ranger/Necromancer and Elementalist/Warrior.

Should I not bother to report quests only available to those professions?I think it's wise to keep track of any profession quests you come across, but don't start documenting them feverously on paper just yet. Quest title and the person to give it should be enough.
After the first weekend I think you'll have an idea where I have stranded so far and if you're further advanced then me, then I'll be happy to list your input on the pages.

Do you want any description or paraphrase of the 'story' that each quest has in the log?Up to you.

Do you need to know the quest rewards as reported by the quest log?Skill rewards defiantely. Experience bonus is optional, but maybe I should log those as well.

I'll help, but I have some questions (Cantos asked the other questions I had :happy34: )
- Do you want included map screen shots for locations?I will most likely make these myself, but if you have a really good one I will use that one instead. I will prefer it if screenshots are pre-edited so that they are only the size of the area which is of interest and they should be in jpg format, preferably < 50 kb.. some diversion to 100kb is fine though. I don't really know how big pictures will become after conversion. I just need to be conservative with the space I have on the website.

- How do you want to be notified (IM, e-mail, post here)?IM won't work very well. Email is best for the moment.

Also a general question: Would we want this information gathered and posted as a thread here (or a set of threads), or on the Order of Dii web site by Xircon?For the moment I will create a status thread. When we have completed a fair bunch of quests I think we can talk to Xircon.

Did I forget to discuss anything?

Balazaar
24-04-2005, 22:44
Did I forget to discuss anything?

Kristy... You answered all of my questions and then some.... Thanks... And I'm sure you'll hear this from lots of people.. but I think this is a good idea and thanks for offering to work on this... :happy65:

Kirsty
03-05-2005, 21:48
Luc and me are postponing the website updates until next weekend. We do have some time this week to play and accumulate more quest descriptions, but managing a site takes more effort and time, which we're not going to spend just yet.
We're working on sorting things out though.

1SG Bowie
04-05-2005, 01:23
This is a very difficult task you are undertaking and, I will do what I can to assist you. I just started a Monk / Ranger and, I began to log all of the quests as he receives them.

I list the quests in the order that I receive them and, I will attempt to do them in the same order if I am able. I tend to play slowly and, I can not type other than hunt and peck. It will take me quite some time before I finish this project but, I hope it is helpful to you.

The one problem that I am having is with NPC names. My eyesight is rather poor and, I am not sure of some of the spelling because of this. An example of this would be that i and l look alike to me in the game. I will keep track of any spelling concerns and when I have a few of them; I will make a post asking for spelling corrections. I can then make sure they are spelled correctly in my log of quests.

In order for you to advise me on what I need to do to make it usable; I will post an example of the first few quests in the morning when I get home.

Cantos
04-05-2005, 03:53
I wasnt sure if I was killing Crawl or Grawl until I changed the interface size in the options! It's better now, but some things are a bit too big.

Kirsty
04-05-2005, 08:25
I've created a monk/ranger myself a few days ago and she's almost gotten to post-searing :p

I think that up till now I have all the pre-searing quests for:
- Ranger/Necromancer
- Elementalist/Warrior
- Monk/Ranger

Post-searing Luc and I have run the Elementalist/Warrior from Ascalon to Nolani Academy and we've accumulated desciptions for just about every quest up till Nolani (except for quests around the Temple and Surmia).

We're going to run the Ranger/Necromancer through these spots too, but all that would be different are the class specific quests and the general skill rewards. I think I will advance the Elementalist/Warrior through the mountains first.

Tonight I will post a list of quest names and skill rewards for as far as I have them. Doesn't mean I have all the details from the quests yet though.

Question about your Monk/Ranger. What's your angle going to be?
I'm going with a pet+protection/healing in pve and I will focus on healing/protection/condition removal in pvp (about the same build as I had last BWE).

Divine healing: 10
Healing prayers: 10
Beast mastery: 8
Protection prayers: 6
Smiting prayers: 5

Pet will be lynx, wolf or other if they become available.

Diab
04-05-2005, 12:24
What exactly is a "local" quest?

Kirsty
04-05-2005, 12:47
Quest mechanics have changed a bit since the BWEs.

From last BWE I had this idea:
- Profession quests: quests only available if you have a certain profession.
- Storyline quests: quests important to understand the developments of the general storyline
- Local quests: just small quests given by NPCs in an area.. basically the rest

Now I think I'll make a different choice.
- Mission Quests: cooperative missions
- Storyline Quests: those indicated as primary quests
- Profession Quests: those only available when you are a certain class
- Local Quests: the rest...
Local quests will be indicated per area so you can see where you can find the start of each quest. Per area I will probably also give the hints which quests have their midway target there, or end there.

Additionally, I will probably also sum up on other pages:
- Skill reward quests: which would be easier if you're looking for a special skill of sorts.

So for instance "the Hunter's Horn" quest will be handled as following.
- Local Quests: List of quests sorted by title. Given a full description from beginning to end.
Appears in Areas
- Ashford: Beginning indicated by NPC Chantalle the Troubadour
- Regent Valley: Intermediate objective obtained by going to the healing spring
- Wizard's Folly/Fishing Village: Finalised by contacting Aidan the Hunter.

Per area I will probably only note the Quest title and NPC(s) and link towards the generic list of Local quests, the one sorted by quest title.

1SG Bowie
04-05-2005, 16:09
[QUOTE=Kirsty]I've created a monk/ranger myself a few days ago and she's almost gotten to post-searing :p

I think that up till now I have all the pre-searing quests for:
- Ranger/Necromancer
- Elementalist/Warrior
- Monk/Ranger

Beat me to it. If I start a new character I will see if you need a log from him.

Kirsty
04-05-2005, 19:09
I just wanted the Monk/Ranger for pvp, since we probably need a good monk and I've played one before in the last BWEs with decent effects. Not yet on par with what Minelle managed, but with a tweaking of skills which I hopefully succeeded at, I will be able to play one of the monks.

Mortshd
06-05-2005, 17:56
Did anyone try the quest with Master Ranger Nente in the post area? It requires to give him a stalker (If you already has a pet, does this mean you have to give up the pet to complete the task? this is kind of lame if you have to)

Kirsty
06-05-2005, 18:08
Yes, you need to give up that pet to complete the quest I'm afraid.

Balazaar
06-05-2005, 18:41

What??? :surprise: Give up Fluffy??? Never!!!! Lol...

Man... you are right that would totally blow... I must not have gotten that far on the quest list. I did talk to a ranger on the way to the breach and she gave me some skills but she didn't want my Fluffy

Mortshd
06-05-2005, 19:19
Nooo! Darn, all that time I tried to raise Spam (my warthog) from lvl 2 to lvl 6. (Definitely ANet will receive the complaint :mad: )

Diab
06-05-2005, 20:38

Actually, I got that quest and said he could have the stalker, but he didn't take it from me. I got the quest as completed, but still had my original stalker. Maybe it was a bug, I don't know. But if you're really attached to your pet, (like Zero's Cuddles or Muffy), I would recommend you not take that risk of loosing it.

Kamahl
06-05-2005, 21:16
she didnt take my Fluffy but i got the q

Kirsty
06-05-2005, 21:42
Well that's good to hear then.

Mortshd
06-05-2005, 22:06
she didnt take my Fluffy but i got the q
But you will lose other pets (you have to give up the pet to charm the stalker) if you don't have a stalker as your current pet :( .

Queen of Spades
03-08-2005, 16:59

OMG--THANKS so much for this info! :happy14:

I have been looking everywhere for the reason why that bastage Rurik would not give me the Charr in the Catacombs mission!

Queen of Spades
03-08-2005, 17:44
:( I can't get the Grawl Invasion quest from Warmaster Grast. I think i had it very early with this character, and had not yet chosen a 2nd profession, and was still learning my Mesmer skills. Anyway, it is possible that i was unsuccessful at the quest, and perhaps 'abandoned' it--it is not in my quest log and he won't give it to me now.

Is there any way to get the Charr Invasion quest from Prince Rurik now? :confused: