PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Q-n-A

Nivisiru
26-04-2005, 12:46
Ok I have a few Q for you guys.

First off this skill here does it stack with this other skill?

[Read the Wind] For 12 seconds, your arrows move twice as fast as normal and deal 3-9 extra damage.

[Favorable Winds] Create a level 1-8 Spirit. For creatures within its range, arrows move twice as fast as normal and strike for +3 damage. This Spirit dies after 30-126 seconds.

Now does the "move twice as fast" make you attack faster or is that a way there just explaining the extra dmg? Cause if it does make you attack a lot faster having thoughs two skills on and this next skill.

[Ignite Arrows] For 12 seconds, your arrows explode on contact, dealing 3-15 fire damage.

Having 15 extra dmg pluss the 3 pluss 9 and have your attack speed hella fast would make better use out of all 3. So what I'm geting at is does it make you attack faster or just add dmg per hit? If so having double shot or any other dmg attack would not even be close to the dmg you could do for the mana cost during the 12 sec of all 3 skills.

And last I wana know what the hell 20% armor penetration does, so many skills have this. Is it penetration just for one hit or does it make you do more dmg over all cause you penetrated some armor? And if its just for the first stupid shot why even have the damn 20% armor penetration. They could just have it add a flat number so you can tell how much stupid dmg you are doing.

Ok any feedback would be nice thanks.

GammaRay
26-04-2005, 15:12
Preparations DON'T stack. So it's Read the Wind OR Ignite Arrows, not both.

I don't think you're going to see your arrows move 4x as fast by using both Read the Wind and Favorable Winds. Although they both give 2x arrow speed, I doubt it stacks in a linear or multiple fashion. Chances are you're still going to get just 2x arrow speed.

EDIT: However, you could do Ignite Arrows and Favorable Winds. You'd get double arrow speed, and the +Fire damage and the +3 from Favorable Winds. If you're a big fan of Ignite Arrows, I suggest Dual Shot. If you hit a cluster of 3 people with Ignite, it'll do the regular damage + Favorable Winds damage to the main target, and splash the fire damage on all three. Using Dual Shot will give you double-splash on everyone.

Dual shot's damage reduction really only works if you use good preparations with it. ^^

Nivisiru
27-04-2005, 03:32
Ahh thanks didn't know that you could only have one on at a time.

How about 20% armor penetration what does this really do?

Keizer Soze
27-04-2005, 07:49

[Read the Wind] For 12 seconds, your arrows move twice as fast as normal and deal 3-9 extra damage.

[Favorable Winds] Create a level 1-8 Spirit. For creatures within its range, arrows move twice as fast as normal and strike for +3 damage. This Spirit dies after 30-126 seconds.

Now does the "move twice as fast" make you attack faster or is that a way there just explaining the extra dmg? Cause if it does make you attack a lot faster having thoughs two skills on and this next skill.

[Ignite Arrows] For 12 seconds, your arrows explode on contact, dealing 3-15 fire damage.

Having 15 extra dmg pluss the 3 pluss 9 and have your attack speed hella fast would make better use out of all 3. So what I'm geting at is does it make you attack faster or just add dmg per hit? If so having double shot or any other dmg attack would not even be close to the dmg you could do for the mana cost during the 12 sec of all 3 skills.

And last I wana know what the hell 20% armor penetration does, so many skills have this. Is it penetration just for one hit or does it make you do more dmg over all cause you penetrated some armor? And if its just for the first stupid shot why even have the damn 20% armor penetration. They could just have it add a flat number so you can tell how much stupid dmg you are doing.

Being a fellow ranger and beta event participant, I would like to provide some clarification on your original post.

You can only use one preparation at a time so my advice would be to only carry one preparation in your skill set. Go to this link http://www.gwonline.net/page.php?p=50 and read at the bottom of each skill to determine if the skill you are attempting to utilize is a preparation, stance, bow attack, etc.

Since Read The Wind is a preparation and Favorable Winds is a Nature Ritual both of these skill would stack. However, you don't actually get twice double speed. You would get double arrow speed and then half of that number again. For example, let's say your arrows take one second to reach the target with your particular bow. The first skill would make the arrows reach the target in half the time or .5 seconds. Your other skill (if used at the same time) would once again reduce this time in half resulting in your arrows reaching the target in .25 seconds.

Ignite Arrows is also a preparation so you can only use it with FW, not RTW.

Also, +20% armor penetration means that you will ignore a specific amount of armor protection while dealing damage to your target. Almost like your target was now wearing less protective armor. I don't know specific numbers at this time, but you will definitely deal more damage this way, especially toward more heavily armored targets.

Hope this helps......

Nivisiru
27-04-2005, 12:30
I have another Q about Rangers. Now a N/W attacks slower with a sword or any other melee then a base warrior even if you have points into the weapon. Does a N/R attack slower with her/his bow then a base Ranger?

kain lightheart
11-07-2005, 21:24

JYSK if your arrows fly 2 x faster your ranger still loads hia arrows the same speed. A good combo ive found is frenzy its a warrior skill and kindle arrows or ingnite arrows. Because frenzy makes you attack 33% faster but you take twice the damage wich isnt a major problem for a range cause rangers attack from a distance and so you can deal out a lot of fire damage really fast.

Colretsun Andolin
11-07-2005, 21:38
I have another Q about Rangers. Now a N/W attacks slower with a sword or any other melee then a base warrior even if you have points into the weapon. Does a N/R attack slower with her/his bow then a base Ranger?

N/W Don't attack slower than primary warriors, neither would a N/R attack slower than a primary ranger. Points into weapon attributes only increases damage/crit chance, it does nothing for speed.

hahnsoo
11-07-2005, 22:01
And last I wana know what the hell 20% armor penetration does, so many skills have this. Is it penetration just for one hit or does it make you do more dmg over all cause you penetrated some armor? And if its just for the first stupid shot why even have the damn 20% armor penetration. They could just have it add a flat number so you can tell how much stupid dmg you are doing.It's just for the "first stupid shot", as they say. There are many reasons to take Penetrating Attack over its brothers, but the main one is the fast 3 second cooldown. It does about the same amount of damage as Power Shot, with more damage against heavily armored targets. The long and the short of it is that Armor Penetration works better against Warriors and heavily armored targets than "soft" targets.

A relevant thread about Armor Penetration can be found here:
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=353379