PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Addiction - Fact or Fiction?

Tarrant Rahl
26-04-2005, 18:42
Zypher Wynn brings us a new article, this time focusing in on the possibility of video games being addictive to gamers. Head over and read Video Game Addiction: Fact or Fiction? (http://www.gwonline.net/article.php?artid=91&action=part1) for his thoughts on the topic.

So what do you think, is the addiction real or are symptoms from other mental disorders simply being associated with video game playing?

Gkirmathal
26-04-2005, 18:56
Only speaking for myself.
When im down or feel like sh*t one day or the other I tend to do stuff that distract me from those feelings, like bookreading and I sometimes tend to get dragged along too much so I can`t/don`t want to stop reading.

So I can well understand that when people are not feeling ok with there lives that they seek refuge in other things so that they don`t have to think of there stuff/problems/feelings for a moment. This can well lead to addiction, wether it be games, books or drugs, so that they don`t have to think of there problems all day long.

Hmm this was personal...
...a well people need to more become open about this anyway...it is as real in life as dead is so.

Stormshadow
26-04-2005, 19:11
oh .. wow .. this is probably something I could go on about for hours, but I'll try to behave and keep it short -

at the root, most "addictions" involve escape from reality in some way, shape, or form. People drink alcohol to escape, people take other chemicals/substances to escape .. and yes, people play games to escape.

IMO, the escape itself is what the person becomes addicted to just as much, if not more than, the chemical. It becomes a crutch to help them forget about what is bothering them in their daily lives. Add to this that the human body produces certain chemicals during euphoric states, and there is every reason to believe that gaming can be just as powerful of an addiction as any drug.

Bannor
26-04-2005, 20:01
it all depends on the person actually playing the game some have a strong will while other have not.

its like drinking actually tho i dont like the idea of comparing video games to drinking but its actually true in my view coz there are light drinkers who drink occasionally and some who do nothing but drink so there are similarities and its the player that matter and the not the game its the will power of the person that counts

Deaddocus
26-04-2005, 20:26
I think there are various forms of game addiction actually. You have the escapists, but they don't thrive on games alone. If there would be no games, they would get lost from reality in books or their own imagination.

The new kind is the one that wants to win, that wants to get at a goal at all costs. I notice it in myself when I play a mission In C&C, ride a race in NFS or anything similar to it.
You start the mission, reach rather far in it and then fail. "I was so close! I'll try it again..." And off you go again, right to the end, but then...fail. "One more time and then I'll quit." Again you start repeat repeat. and then finally, you get through it, victory! "Oh a new mission... I did say I would stop once I completed this one, but... looking at it once won't harm." You start the next mission and suddenly you're back at point one. You can't just 'look' at a mission or race, you want to complete it and win.

It is the same addiction gamblers have. The feelings and chemicals racing through your body when the stress peaks, the feeling of total superiority once you get through and win.

It isn't really the same addiction as drinking alcohol or taking drugs.

Damon Rightus
26-04-2005, 20:49
I think it is possible to become addicted to vieo games.. Most drugs cause an influx of dopamine levels in the brain putting that person in a state of euphoria. I myself have felt this same state of euphoria from playing games... The feeling of getting to the next level or beating that boss produces natural dopamine in the brain making getting that level or beating that boss a good feeling. The person gets adicted to this feeling of doing good, and when the brain goes back to a state of normal dopamine levels the person feels down, or goes into a state of depression... This causes the person to want that feeling again of being (high) so they get on the game, and try to get to the next part of the game, so that the brain will reward itself with dose of dopamine... This is the same reason people get addicted to drugs... So I say it is true...

Dajmin
26-04-2005, 21:26
A couple of years ago the New York Times had an article about EverQuest which pretty much covered the same points.

I think it is entirely possible for people to become addicted to something they enjoy. The only real difference between video game addiction and something like alcohol or cigarettes is that the chemical the brain develops the addiction to is created by the body itself in the form of endorphins.
If you enjoy something, your body creates endorphins when you do it. When you stop, the levels drop and your brain starts to get the same withdrawal symptoms it does with any addictive substance.

I think actually becoming addicted to something is down to each specific person. Smokers can smoke 40/day for 20 years and then give up without any trouble, yet others smoke for a couple of years and struggle to give up forever more. Likewise, some people can play a game for 20hours/day for years and stop any time, whereas others play less and feel it more.
Some people have addictive personalities, and others don't.

The fact is that of all the addictions in the world, video games are the least dangerous, and while the lifestyle that is associated with them encourages obesity and fast food, it's not the game that causes the damage.

You won't find the dead body of a geek in the toilet of some seedy nightclub with a laptop on his knee and a mouse cable wrapped round his arm :)

Shaylith
27-04-2005, 04:07
I do believe that video games can be addictive. Back when I played EQ years ago, I knew of people that would seriously play it 24/7, had several computers running on it simultaneously and actually lost their spouses, their jobs and/or dropped out of school because they were so addicted.

I know that I myself can be pretty addicted to Guild Wars, but I try to keep it under control when I find myself considering staying up until midnight tonight to play, even though I have to go to the airport 4 hours later. ;)

Stormshadow
27-04-2005, 04:13
You won't find the dead body of a geek in the toilet of some seedy nightclub with a laptop on his knee and a mouse cable wrapped round his arm :)

Holy crap !! .. that was hilarious !! .. I literally fell out of my chair laughing

Darius Corinthius
27-04-2005, 04:22
I read an article in X-box magazine about a guy who died from playing over a few days straight.. Didn't drink, eat, sleep.. nothing. Just played, and died shortly after. Some guy in Japan..

Was pretty sad. I remember I was really addicted to D2 back in a day when I was fifteen. I'd start to stress if I couldn't play.. I'd be lazy with my chores; do them really fast, so I could play.. get very angry if someone tried to pull me off - for whatever reason.. even dinner.

In a sense; I'm glad I got hacked.. it broke me away from my addiction.. and I haven't felt the same ever since. It's a good thing. Gaming can be just as much of an addiction as you let it become.

Guild Wars has the potential to be like that; as the game is the same, but is never the same twice when playing it. That's part of what makes it so addicting.. the human's need for change is made in the game, and that's what draws the gamer ever closer to their "need."

In all honesty guys; it's okay to play this game, and any other game.. but do play responsibly. I'd hate to see some of you lose your lives, respect, family, and all other relations over something that is only apart of what your mind lets it become. Have fun, and play responsibly. That's all I have to say.

See you guys later tonight :)

The King
27-04-2005, 04:28
I think video games can be addicting. I use to be addicted to several games and i hope to be addicted to guild wars, but i also hope that i can control it :surprise:

kawana
27-04-2005, 05:02
i myself dont usually get "addicted" to games (besides D2, and guildwars), but you should talk to my friend, lol

he's homeschooled, and all he does from 8:00 in the morning till 10:00 at night is play either Xbox, ps2 or computer.. one day he beat morrowind in one session, non stop all day, and thats includeing most side quests and what not. He's beaten some games, that the experts say should take ie// 18hours , in like half the time. He's crazy when it comes to games, lol but then again he has no life. :lol: :lol:

MORPHEUS
12-08-2005, 21:59
I believe this addiction occurs in people who usually dont have other actvities to participate in. Just look for something for something else to do. If there is an oppertunity do something else other than playing video games, I take advantage of that oppertunity.

For me I tune in to some classical music, drive my car, read a book.

HalfBadger
12-08-2005, 22:22
Well I do believe there is addiciton to video/computer games on certain levels.

In a version of Civ3 that I got, there is a bonus CD, where the developers, somewhat jokeingly talk about the addiciton to the game. I.E. being up all night playing "just one more turn", playing the game instead of watching for certain program error, 'warning' ppl before they play a game to make sure they don't make any commitmints to do projects aorund the house or help friend/family with house work.

I do find Guild Wars to be somewhat addictive, but no where near Civ 3 was/is for me.

I think it is something that should be studied and monitored, to prevent irrepairable (sp?) damage later on, especially with kids these days growing up with computers that don't thing there is a problem with being on the computer/playing video games every spare second.

Eragorn
12-08-2005, 22:25
The real question we should be asking is, are people addicted to escaping reality?

The answer ofcourse, is yes.

Naylia
12-08-2005, 22:43
The real question I supposse would be:

Do video games give you a physical high and/or do you have physical withdrawl symptoms?

I know I've never gotten the shakes from spending too many days at the beach.

Sadow
13-08-2005, 01:02
Actual, clinical addiction requires chemical interactions to form a dependency of the brain on the chemical in question, which a game simply cannot provide. Obsessive/compulsive behaviour would be the closer term to use to classify people who spend an unusually large amount of time playing a video game, though this can classify itself in other regions as well: Someone who, for example, plays as much golf as they can would be put into this same category. The reason why video game addictions are more often heard of is because of the relative ease of accessibility to them. Whereas someone who plays golf must wait for opportune weather and a chance to use a car or other mode of transportation to drive down to the course, someone can simply turn on their computer and plug away.

As always, there is a healthy level of something that you should take in one dosage, and prolonged exposure can be quite bad for you. It is fine to enjoy an online video game, similar to someone who plays poker or bridge every night, but it must be enjoyed in moderation. Otherwise, it may rob you of your life without you even realizing it.

Thul Rasha
13-08-2005, 01:38
If that other story about the guy dying because of hearth failure by playing 50 hours WoW non stop, then addiction to video games is probably no fiction.

I have also heard about people quitting their jobs to be able to play more video games.

LDCrusader
13-08-2005, 01:58
I know it is possible to become addicted because I once was. I would eat one meal on a good day, get about 3 hours of sleep, and become irritated with any disturbance to my cycle. I shouted at my mother calling to want to talk with me. I hadn't seen another sould in two weeks strait by one point. It's obsessive compulsive disorder on a watered down scale. I couldn't think about anything until I had beaten every game in my house. Final Fantasy XI is what finally broke me. I couldn't beat it. I could max a character, max it again and again, etc. It quit being a good high. I'd done that before. That finally made me quit for a while. I'm under control now for the most part.

Please be warned: If you vehemently deny this, you are probably addicted yourself.

WRAAAARGHH
13-08-2005, 02:19
oh .. wow .. this is probably something I could go on about for hours, but I'll try to behave and keep it short -

at the root, most "addictions" involve escape from reality in some way, shape, or form. People drink alcohol to escape, people take other chemicals/substances to escape .. and yes, people play games to escape.

IMO, the escape itself is what the person becomes addicted to just as much, if not more than, the chemical. It becomes a crutch to help them forget about what is bothering them in their daily lives. Add to this that the human body produces certain chemicals during euphoric states, and there is every reason to believe that gaming can be just as powerful of an addiction as any drug.

escape from what? most ppl play cause they like the games

gwmaster
13-08-2005, 02:39
me and my friend played Halo2 the day it came out, we beat the game in 9 hours lol,after that i went play diablo2 i was really adict i played from5pm to 7:30pm of the other day whitout sleepin....then at 8:00 i went to the hospital cuz off my hearth was realy fast. the doctor told me to stop playin video games for 1 weeks to see if i would be ok, nvm...now i know video game can be dangerous wen we play to much but DAmn that i love playing them :love57:

Travesty
13-08-2005, 03:40
What I thought I'd like about Guild Wars was the easy going part, maybe finishing a mission in a sitting for 30-45 minutes. Boy, was I wrong. However, I still don't play too much as I initially thought, after experiencing Fort Ranik (1 1/2 hours with bonus =O ), so I thought it'd be insane long missions near the harder parts of the game. So far, it's around 1 - 2 hours per sitting, then I walk off to watch TV, read a book, or play pick-up soccer. I had to leave my ranger at the RIng Of Fire, those quests are gay long =P

However, I've just read on the forums about some exploit totally screwing the balance in GW, some trader exploit that allowed people to get tons of money? Anyways, all the more reason to find a FPS to play, which is really easy to quit. Looking at Gunz (read on this forum, again =P ) , but I see there are alot of hacks for it, and lag complaints. Time to find a new game =)

Omg Kthxbye
13-08-2005, 05:50
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050810/D8BSUTG00.html

HAHAHA What a n00b.

gwmaster
13-08-2005, 06:14
HOLY ****.....Hilarius but freaking scary

rpgamer
13-08-2005, 06:30
A bit off topic, but I heard of a guy who, instead of dying from video games, he died from forums. I'm serious.

Nikhera
13-08-2005, 06:33
Game addiction...? It's possible. For example, right now, Ithink I'm playing WAY too much for it to be healthy. Once school starts it will go down, right now I play every day.

Sometimes it's best to quit while you're ahead. I remember, about two years ago when I stayed at home for the summer, I was on the computer ALL the time. I went to sleep at 2:00 and woke up at noon, always cranky and tired. The cure? The summer after that my parents sent me overseas...ah, I was at my grandparents' house, I went swimming, ran around with friends, and came home at 11:00. XD Life's good.

Now you're asking, WTF is the point of Nikhera's babble?

So, remember: Video games are good. Video games are fun. Video games can be dangerous.

Don't be afraid of the sun, of books, of people. They won't hurt you. ;) At least I don't think so :scratch:

Biostem
13-08-2005, 06:46
Zypher Wynn brings us a new article, this time focusing in on the possibility of video games being addictive to gamers. Head over and read Video Game Addiction: Fact or Fiction? (http://www.gwonline.net/article.php?artid=91&action=part1) for his thoughts on the topic.

So what do you think, is the addiction real or are symptoms from other mental disorders simply being associated with video game playing?

You can become pychologically addicted to anything - food, video games, etc. Video games are simply prolific and available. It is not the game that you must examine when you ask a question like this, it is the person who is showing the addiction. More likely the people who become addicted to video games are also the ones who have addictive personalities.

The Experimentor
24-05-2006, 08:16
escape from what? most ppl play cause they like the games
That's how it should be. That's how it starts.

Video and computer games have only one real purpose: fun. Recreation, entertainment, leisure, pleasure.

The thing is that we play and try to have fun especially when we're stressed, burdened, sad, depressed, troubled, preoccupied, etc.

Number of chores getting to you? School's tough? Work is stressful? Fighting with family and/or friends? Bored, disenchanted and depressed with the so-called but true "Real World"? Dealing with all sorts of problems?

Play. Play and forget your troubles.

Escape.

The problem is when we refuse to face the responsibilities of reality and prefer to just stick to playing, to escaping, simply because it's easier, pleasurable and we feel much more rewarded by it than real life.

krispykritter
24-05-2006, 19:12
Wow, I don't think I've seen thread necromancy that good in a long long time!! :grin: