PDA

View Full Version : What causes bad lagging?

MixedVariety
28-04-2005, 14:44
I knew this game wouldn't work too well. It lags like crazy, even on the lowest resolution and lowest graphics settings, though they don't look bad.

I'm pretty lame when it comes to this stuff. I'm working with only 256 RAM on this machine, and integrated graphics. What is the first thing I should do, since I can't afford both just yet? Beef up the RAM, or get a better video card? Seems like more the RAM to me, but I know next to nothing.

Fallen_62
28-04-2005, 15:02
I knew this game wouldn't work too well. It lags like crazy, even on the lowest resolution and lowest graphics settings, though they don't look bad.

I'm pretty lame when it comes to this stuff. I'm working with only 256 RAM on this machine, and integrated graphics. What is the first thing I should do, since I can't afford both just yet? Beef up the RAM, or get a better video card? Seems like more the RAM to me, but I know next to nothing.

Hey MV!!! I was wondering if seeing you here was going to be a permant thing or not ;) Anyway, I would go with RAM first, specially since Windows XP is such a memory hog. How old/what kind of computer do you have? And when you say lag, is it server lag or graphics lag?

And nice to see ya around here MV ;)

Parker Bsb
28-04-2005, 16:06
I had similar problems, it would take my character about a half a minute to turn 180 degrees. Everyone else was running around fine so I'm sure it was not a lag issue.
Anyways 256 meg of ram is pretty low if it's SD ram (and you are liklei running XP) so consider upgrading to 512. Also my video card is built in to the motherboard so it's exceptionally crappy!

Anyways for about 100$ I'm going from 224meg of ram, 32 meg vid ram to 512meg ram and 128meg/128 bit video card.

A little cash goes along way.

MixedVariety
28-04-2005, 16:15
Hey MV!!! I was wondering if seeing you here was going to be a permant thing or not ;) Anyway, I would go with RAM first, specially since Windows XP is such a memory hog. How old/what kind of computer do you have? And when you say lag, is it server lag or graphics lag?

And nice to see ya around here MV ;)

Hey, Fallen. Yeps, I'll be around here fairly often (better chance if I can get this game to work right). I like the idea of this game much more than WoW.

Computer is only about a year old, but not made for gaming, as you can probably tell from my first post. Your basic Compaq Desktop junk.
As for the lag, I don't even know the difference between server or graphics lag, though I'd say the latter, since everyone else seems to move around just fine. I start walking, everything freezes for a second, and I'm suddenly 100 yards further than I was. Jerky and impossible to play.
If I can spend 50-100 bucks putting more RAM (and if necessary a better video card) into it, I'd rather do that than go with a whole new computer.

Let's see...computer, or keep paying for my daughter's college? Tough choice.

Fallen_62
28-04-2005, 17:15
Hey, Fallen. Yeps, I'll be around here fairly often (better chance if I can get this game to work right). I like the idea of this game much more than WoW.

Computer is only about a year old, but not made for gaming, as you can probably tell from my first post. Your basic Compaq Desktop junk.
As for the lag, I don't even know the difference between server or graphics lag, though I'd say the latter, since everyone else seems to move around just fine. I start walking, everything freezes for a second, and I'm suddenly 100 yards further than I was. Jerky and impossible to play.
If I can spend 50-100 bucks putting more RAM (and if necessary a better video card) into it, I'd rather do that than go with a whole new computer.

Let's see...computer, or keep paying for my daughter's college? Tough choice.

Go with the computer ;) Anyway, I know where I am I lag pretty bad, as to the point where I stop moving, then all the sudden I am several (hundred) feet from where I was. I know mine is server lag because of the connection, and I know that the servers are under a lot of stress right now, so it might well be server lag. It could also be graphics, but its hard to say. I was having a problem with graphics for a while, so I turned them down to 1/2 and yesterday I turned them back to full and they are just fine. I would think that if it were graphics lag, another 256 of RAM would help... It would be a good question to ask Spazed in the OTF, too.

Parker Bsb
28-04-2005, 17:33
Ooo tough choice! I'd have to go with the daughters university fund... however can you afford to send her to a cheaper university :uhhuh:?

Seriously tho server lag is noticable because it is not constant, if you are consistantly getting huge skipps like that it is a hardware problem. I was told that 1gig of memory is "standard" now, but for us working schmo's that have families I'd say 512 and a decent vid card should work fine. Just play with the settings turned down some.

I'd suggest taking your comp to a LOCAL technician (not someone from a chain like futureshop) as they tend to give you a more fair assessment, and tend to know more about what they are talking about.

:bow:

MixedVariety
29-04-2005, 00:11
I found a good deal on a 1 gig kit (two 512 mb chips) for about 55 bucks, so I'll be trying that out in a few days. In the meantime, I'll try limping around like a fool while everyone else blasts all over creation. Maybe I can get my pockets picked or have my clothes removed while I'm not capable of watching.

Enjoy the game, folks. I'll be there soon.

Parker Bsb
29-04-2005, 12:58
Heh I feel your pain... I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive. Wanna make a party so we can both limp around :lol:

Ellatur
09-05-2005, 22:28
I found a good deal on a 1 gig kit (two 512 mb chips) for about 55 bucks, so I'll be trying that out in a few days. In the meantime, I'll try limping around like a fool while everyone else blasts all over creation. Maybe I can get my pockets picked or have my clothes removed while I'm not capable of watching.

Enjoy the game, folks. I'll be there soon.
where did you get the 1 gig kit?!

oh btw, do you think that the game will be less laggy in the future? (when they add more servers and etc?)

Mad J
11-05-2005, 17:22
To all,

granted I'm not someone on the "inside" to tell you how the game servers are configured and how it all works but from my experience, it's *NOT* lag. it's your machine just chugging along. I have a mid-level computer (self-built) with these specs:

AMD 3200+
1 GB RAM
ATI 9700 Pro with 128 MB
WinXP SP2 configured to run streamlined for apps

I should mention that I have a cable modem running at 340k that I use between three computers. I get very little actual lag in the game. What I do get is some slowdown when there are a lot of graphical information that my computer just can't handle (too many effects esp. on screen). But most times, the game works flawlessly. I would suggest for all who are having slowdown issues to list their hardware so you can really determine what is the bottleneck to upgrade.

HTH,

madJ

Kabala
26-11-2005, 20:35
Ok I have a new P4 Titan 865PE Gigabyte 800 FSB,1 Seagate serial ata hard drive of 80gbytes,P4 CPU 3.0 ghz,1 ghz ram and a old ati radeon video card 9600se agp and it lags like crazy on games online. I'am planning to upgrade to a ati radeon 9600xt 256mb ddr memory.I hope this will solve my problem.
Can someone give me a feed back on this plz.

Merls The Sneaky
27-11-2005, 03:38
As for the lag, I don't even know the difference between server or graphics lag

Its easy to tell in GW. Its server lag if you can freely rotate your camera but cannot move. When your camera doesn't respond properly, its most likely your system.

calderstrake
02-12-2005, 07:20
Can someone give me a feed back on this plz.
I'm not sure whether I should applaud you for using an existing thread or scold you for resurrecting a 6-month old thread. :confused: :confused:

In order to answer your question, however, we will need to know your internet connection type and speed. :thumbsup:

milan Olsivi
02-12-2005, 07:48
Rather odd for me.

I'm running a Athlon 3400 with 2GB RAM, 400GB SATA drive and a dual GT6600 rig.

Connection is a 4MB down and 384k up and yes I still get the occasional server lag. Nothing I do seems to stop it from occasionally occuring.

Vexed Arcanist
02-12-2005, 18:02
Rather odd for me.

Connection is a 4MB down and 384k up and yes I still get the occasional server lag. Nothing I do seems to stop it from occasionally occuring.

Is there a particular time this occurs most frequently, as in Clock Time? It could be an issue along your route to the server. If there is a particular time it occurs most often perhaps do a trace route and check the ping time along the way.

Balan
03-12-2005, 19:38
Rather odd for me.

Are you running off a satalite? The up & down is what caught my eye. Thing with satalites is they send data in spurts, not a constant stream... sorry to say.

Learned such the hard way a while back tring to play EQ online.