PDA

View Full Version : Ithas Bow and Canthan Targe some of the best in the game?

Soulstoner
30-04-2005, 07:48
I am currently trying to unlock my piercing damage for the Ithas Bow and it is taking forever... it will probably be lvl 12 or 13 before I get marksmanship to lvl 10.

So, whats the verdict? Am I wasting my time with this bow? Because it looks like the amount of work/time having to be put into it should most likely be worth it.

BTW, is it the same with the Targe? I got that item as well.

Feynt
30-04-2005, 17:43
I think the ithas bow is pretty kick ***. I do 70 damage normal shots to non-armoured enemies (things like snow ettins, howlers, flamekeepers, etc.). It's certainly not the best bow possible, but I was able to use it before I got to Yak's Bend (I did every side quest in Ascalon first, got to level 11 before the first mission. >D ). Against armoured enemies (bladestorms, elementals, etc.) I do about half that damage per shot, which is still quite respectable considering it's at range.

Oren
30-04-2005, 18:57
I am currently trying to unlock my piercing damage for the Ithas Bow and it is taking forever... it will probably be lvl 12 or 13 before I get marksmanship to lvl 10.

So, whats the verdict? Am I wasting my time with this bow? Because it looks like the amount of work/time having to be put into it should most likely be worth it.

BTW, is it the same with the Targe? I got that item as well.

I wanted to know whether there's a visual way to know when checking the stats of an item whether you unlocked its special bonuses, or do you always have to compare it against your attributes? It would be nice if there would be, for example, a different color when checking an item indicating that you have qualified for that extra damage from the Ithas Bow, for example.

Cartigan
30-04-2005, 19:49
Ithas bow is the WORST pre-order and nowhere near the best bow in game. The Kanthan Targe is pretty decent. The ithas bow's req is way too high and it has no bonuses worth while. Unless you have no reason to focus on any other skills than marksmanship, the Ithas Bow MIGHT be useful before you find a better bow. Myself has other attribute lines to focus on before wasting poitns trying to get a level 10 I never planned getting anyway. I'm about to just trash the Ithas Bow unless they fix it

Feynt
30-04-2005, 20:32
It's simple, Oren. When you don't have the attribute required for a certain weapon or off hand item, you can't use it to it's full effect. Usually that means reduced damage or energy reduction (like instead of +8 for your off hand healing ankh, it's only +3 or something). When you get the required attribute, it'll work like it should. For the ithas bow, that means to get the full damage you need 10 Marksmanship. To get the bonus armour, you need 10 Expertise. I don't really see the armour as being useful, so I won't be getting all that Expertise, but others might see it as useful.

It's a good bow for a long while, but if you've got a character ahead already to get a better one, well, it's not worth it. Mind you, with such a high Marksmanship all of your bow skills will be potent and even your regular attacks are great.

Banegrivm
30-04-2005, 20:44
Kanthan Targe decent? Thats a first. I thought it was horrible. 14 armor but ONLY if you have a 10 tactics? I don't know that many warriors with a tactics that high. I've never met any warriors with a tactics that high either. Most warriors I know use strength shields over the tactics shield.

As odd as it seems, the Chimeric Prism makes a better "shield" then the Targ ever will.

Feynt
30-04-2005, 20:51
I for one would take Tactics that high for a shield, but only if I got warrior as a secondary. I'd appreciate it for my elementalist/warrior. There's a lot of stances that I like to use, and almost all of them use Tactics.

Neo Alastor
30-04-2005, 21:15
Ithas bow is the WORST pre-order and nowhere near the best bow in game. The Kanthan Targe is pretty decent. The ithas bow's req is way too high and it has no bonuses worth while. Unless you have no reason to focus on any other skills than marksmanship, the Ithas Bow MIGHT be useful before you find a better bow. Myself has other attribute lines to focus on before wasting poitns trying to get a level 10 I never planned getting anyway. I'm about to just trash the Ithas Bow unless they fix it

^I second that. Ithas's bow blows. I only used it to instead of my starter bow. But as soon as I found a better bow, I've never used it again. Also, the requirements are way too high for it. Currently I have a Half-moon bow (14-25 Earth dmg, +4 armor against physical atk, 9 marksmanship requirement).

Hades the Terrible
30-04-2005, 21:29
The Ithas bow is great. The damage of that bow is the highest you will find for all bows but the half moon. The half moon, from what I saw in the last beta, shot slower and had a slightly lesser range then the other bows. The Ithas bow does the same amount of damage as ALL of the PvP bows. People are complaining that 10 marks is too high? 10 marks is actually pretty low.

Neo Alastor
30-04-2005, 21:35
The Ithas bow is great. The damage of that bow is the highest you will find for all bows but the half moon. The half moon, from what I saw in the last beta, shot slower and had a slightly lesser range then the other bows. The Ithas bow does the same amount of damage as ALL of the PvP bows. People are complaining that 10 marks is too high? 10 marks is actually pretty low.

Half moon does have less range but shoots faster.

Hades the Terrible
30-04-2005, 21:39
Oh my bad, I was thinking of another bow.

But the Ithas bow is still very good. All the other good bows out there already have upgrade itmes on it. This is one of the best virgin bows you can find. Also, all the other bows are rare so you have to go out and farm for them. You farm for hours for what, 2-3 more damage? Then to find a half moon, you will have to search a lot. I farmed a lot in the betas and have yet to find one. I had to borrow one. :lol:

Neo Alastor
30-04-2005, 21:41
That's true. I luckily stumbled across my half-moon while taming my bear in Lornar's Pass. As you know, the monsters there are lvl 20+ and drop good stuff.

Feynt
30-04-2005, 21:52
Yeah, needless to say it will take quite a while to get a bow that matches up to the ithas bow. I don't see 10 Marksmanship as too high, but that's probably because I had planned to make my ranger an archer/trapper. If you were kind of all over the map with no plan, a bit in Beast Mastery, a bit in Marksmanship, a bit in Wilderness Survival... Then yeah, it's pretty high, but that's because you have no focus.

XxCougarxX
30-04-2005, 22:08
Ithas bow blows...right. You obviously never used it much. Before I hit 10 markmans, yea, not the greatest in the world. But I didn't care, cause I was gonna hit 10 at some point (ended up at level 12, but still) Now let me tell you something, Running around Ascalon doing sidequests before and preping Read teh Wind and a dual shot on an armor target before 10 marksman, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20, 25 damage. Not bad, but nothing to right home about. After 10 marks...I've seen it hit 100, sometimes even over with the same combo. If that's a sign of how something sucks, you guys must have really high expectations. Oh and the Half-moon, meh, great for a short bow, but that's the problem. It's a SHORT bow, nothing more annoying that not being in range when you wanna shoot.

Cartigan
30-04-2005, 23:04
You havn't played this game long have you. Today while killnig drakes in GATES OF KRYTA there was a 14-26 Longbow dropped and another high damage bow dropped as well. Both better than the Ithas Bow. All Ithas Bow has is it looks cool has long range and decent attack speed

Side note: Drakes are the best loot in game for the effort. No decent physical damage output - the only thing you have to worry about is the near 200 damage lightning orb, other than that it is smooth sailing

Queen Undertaker
01-11-2005, 02:21
reading posts on the pre order items.

the main complaint I see, like it or not, is requirments are too high to use it.

IT is a PRE ORDER item, to me that means a lvl ONE char you should be able to use it to its fullest ability, if not then it is some treasure to hold onto, can't use to fullest ability till well, when you can have soemthing as good if not better, found IN game.

Why give us the good shied or bow if you cant use it till you get a skill to lvl 10 ? I mean thats several levels IF you put all your points into it. so IF you get the full points aloted, the rest of your game will be very very undermatched, even for players many levels below you, because they are more balanced.

elsydeon
01-11-2005, 03:54
what are you saying, its easy to get 10 in a stat, your helm is 1 point there, should be about level 6 you can get 10 in a stat if you concentrate on that stat alone

my ranger beat the lich with an ithas bow, definately decent damage against summit in gf/sf

Link Boy Hero
01-11-2005, 04:17
the ithias is nothing but a flatbow....

slashdot
01-11-2005, 06:58
thread necromancy for the loss

Ubermancer
01-11-2005, 07:06
I've never met any warriors with a tactics that high either.

Ahh, the smell of noob warriors.

Can someone bring a fan in here?

Thul Rasha
01-11-2005, 09:52
Kanthan Targe decent? Thats a first. I thought it was horrible. 14 armor but ONLY if you have a 10 tactics? I don't know that many warriors with a tactics that high. I've never met any warriors with a tactics that high either. Most warriors I know use strength shields over the tactics shield.

As odd as it seems, the Chimeric Prism makes a better "shield" then the Targ ever will.

Almost every 'Tactics' warrior will have the tactics skill as high as he can get away with. This ranges between 13 and 16.
If not, then it is no 'tactics' warrior.

Still, the targe (and War Pick) seem a bit less than the Ithas bow. Both the Targe and War Pick don't have maximum stats, but do need a lot more requirements than what you can find in the game.

Edit:
Just found a picture of the stats of that Targe:
http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/8969/gw0179dw.jpg

It's actually a pretty good item, considering that you also get something if you only partially have the required attribute.
Can someone confirm that you get extra health if you only have 4 points in strength?
Anyway, if you dare using a superior rune, you can easily make 3 of the requirements and get: 14 armor, +30 health, +2 energy.

Phaeax
01-11-2005, 15:39
You don't get the bonuses (such as health) if you don't meet the specific requirement next to it.

The Canthan Targe is useful in certain situations. The collector's shields are good for those times when you know you'll be using stances or enchanted, and then give you +45 health and -2 damage regardless of your point investments. But in the case where you may not be in a stance or enchanted, the bonuses from the Canthan Targe are viable.

I think most of the pre-order items catered to people who choose to invest into many attributes as opposed to the collector's items which are geared to specific attribute lines.

Taran Macloud
01-11-2005, 17:58
Personally, I prefer the in-game bows to the Ithas. Sure it's nice and everything, but from my research, as well as asking around the GW community, I found out that Flatbows have the best balance of speed and accuracy between all other bows. I even used one to test this out, and wow...it's definitely a lot nicer than my old recurve. A lot more players even use them in PVP, because they basically blend the speed of a shortbow with the range of a longbow. In fact, Drago's Flat Bow is now the number one sought after bow in the entire game for that very reason, not to mention its mods are quite nice. (10/10 AP, 15>50, +30 HP) I'd encourage you all to try out a flatbow as well. I'm prtty sure you too will be just as persuaded as I was to make the switch.

Taran

P.S. Composite bows are pretty much the brother/sister to the flatbow. Try one of those as well.