PDA

View Full Version : Advantages/Disadvantages of each pet

Xlaydos
30-04-2005, 13:23
I was thinking of swapping my melandrus stalker for another animal but first i would like to know the advantages of the other animals :)

Neo Alastor
30-04-2005, 22:57
I was thinking of swapping my melandrus stalker for another animal but first i would like to know the advantages of the other animals :)

^The bear can automatically do brutal mauling

Xlaydos
30-04-2005, 23:28
^The bear can automatically do brutal mauling

So bear is best?

Von Alepfh
01-05-2005, 01:27
there is no "best" as far as i can tell...

since ive started playing GW ive had moa birds, wolves, lynxes, stalkers, and now a bear.

the bear is pretty nice. but it attacks very slowly.

the wolf did the most damage over time, i used to boost it with call of brutality.

in the end you just have to try them and see which one works best for you.

Kougarr Shadowsbane
01-05-2005, 02:03
there is no "best" as far as i can tell...

since ive started playing GW ive had moa birds, wolves, lynxes, stalkers, and now a bear.

the bear is pretty nice. but it attacks very slowly.

the wolf did the most damage over time, i used to boost it with call of brutality.

in the end you just have to try them and see which one works best for you.

Thats just the thing you can't 'try' them. As you move on to each animal, you have to decide wether or not you want to keep it. There's no going back to the previous one.

Which sucks....

They should allow you to try all the pets then decide which one you want to keep and at that point you can't go back or just lose the pet altogether.

Thats my 2 cents anyway..
/rant

GammaRay
01-05-2005, 03:58
Disadvantage of all pets: When they croak, you lose all your skills for 8 seconds. Last beta it was only 5 seconds...although I'd take the 5% DP over 5 seconds without skills any day. -_-

It makes them almost useless to me, until you've got all the right skills. And this is coming from someone that loves the pet concept. >_<

kal gregor
01-05-2005, 05:24
I think Pets are kinda like weapons, each has its own damage variance, like comparing axes to swords etc. Some might have higher max damage, others might have higher average damage.
I suspect pet base armour and damage scales up based on their level, with beast mastery only effecting the percent of damage output and assosciated skills, much in the same way as mastery does for weapons. Though I'm not sure if a level 20 pet has a certain Beast Mastery requirement to be effective, like using a bow that requires 12 marksmanship will only deal the damage of a newbie bow, but it's hard to stop a pet from levelling so I dont think this would be the case.

If you find some co-operative enemies in a PvP arena you may be able to test these out. An easy way to test pet damage is, lower your beast mastery to 0, and have your enemy take off all their armour.
- If you let your pet attack someone who takes off all their armour, that person can tell you the exact damage your pet is doing (take into consideration critical hits also, so on occasion the highest damage the person will get hit for is around 141% of your pets actual max damage, though your pet shouldnt crit much with level 0 beast mastery).
Of course if pets do need beast mastery requirements you may wanna do the same thing with level 12 beast mastery vs someone in full level 60 armour. (it will give the same results, with more crits though)

- To test pet armour is a little harder, have a level 20 caster use high damage skills on it which dont ignore armour or have armour penetration. These should hit for the same damage every time, and the damage your pet takes compared to the damage the spell does will help determine your pets armour level.
Formula is:
60 - 40*( log(actual damage taken/spell damage) / log(2) )
e.g. If a level 20 Elementalist uses Earthquake with earth magic 12, it should do 85 damage, if your pet takes 70 damage, then it's armour can be determined by:
60 - 40*( log(70/85) / log(2) ) = 71 armour
You may want to raise\lower your beast mastery during testing to see if pet armour does benefit from beast mastery or if it's based on level alone.

Of course, the calculations I've posted assume the conditions I stated, but if you cant get a hold of a level 20 caster with level 12 in one attribute, or find an enemy who wants to get nekkid while your pet mauls them, you can always do the math yourself - GuildWarsGuru - Game Mechanics Guide (http://www.guildwarsguru.com/content/game-mechanics-id674.php)

If people keep a track of these, we can find out the stats of all the different animals at different levels. The pet attacks that YOU can get are the same, but you will most likely find the pets are quite different.

Some pets will have higher max damage but more damage variance, some will attack faster, some will tank better, and some will have special attacks of their own if the introduction of Brutal mauling for the bear is anything to go by. I look forward to seeing some numbers :P

Now if only I could find a pet that was smarter and didnt stand around doing nothing while things were attacking me or after it killed something, or disengage enemies in the middle of a fight because they were aggroing me and I had to back off.

I'd be crunching the numbers myself but I'm still waiting for my CD-Key to arrive. (another neglected Aussie)

Deten
01-05-2005, 06:02
Can you find a Bear in post-searing?

GammaRay
01-05-2005, 06:04
This is certainly the best method I've seen of testing how the pets work. The trouble would be finding someone cooperative enough to run all the tests with.

Maybe once/if I level a pet, I'll do just that.

Yes, you can get bears after the searing. They're in Lornar's Pass, after the Frost Gate mission.

Deten
01-05-2005, 06:19
Is that in the Frost Gate Mission? I dont see a Lornar's Pass on my map, right before Frost Gate is Borlis Pass and right after, I believe, is beacons Perch

im a lvl 16 R/Mo btw, at Quarrel Falles

Deten
01-05-2005, 07:23
I would REALLy appreciate some help, i really want to try out the bear

GammaRay
01-05-2005, 08:37
When you get to Beacon's Perch, you need to go south. You'll end up in the explorable area called Lornar's Pass, where the bears are. They start at level 5, so you'll need to go back to Nolani or something to level them up.

Xlaydos
01-05-2005, 11:12
Thanks guys. So if i get rid of my stalker, i can't get a stalker again?

kal gregor
01-05-2005, 11:23
Stalkers are close to extinction, theres a quest about it in post searing where you have to charm a stalker for Nente. If you have still have yours from pre searing, perfect, you dont have to do anything and can finish the quest right there. If you dont have the stalker from pre searing, you have to ditch your current pet at a tamer, head west a bit and you'll find a stalker wandering around (I assume its probably the only one post searing). Of course you can most probably still get a lynx later on and name it Melandru's Stalker :P
It's best to keep the stalker until you've done that quest because it gives some useful skills if I recall correctly. After that you can feel free to ditch the stalker and go after any other animal.

Keizer Soze
01-05-2005, 12:49
Personally, I would go with the wolf. Much better tank than a stalker and probably deals more damage as well.

Never tried a bear, but I think that's just a novelty anyway. People just want to try them because they couldn't get them before now.

Tarew
01-05-2005, 23:23
Does anyone have any information concerning the Lizard pet yet? You'd think it had high attack speed and I'd test it myself except my BLOODY RETAIL COPY STILL HASN'T ARRIVED YET. Beginning to feel like a moron for pre-ordering so early internationally but I figure I might as well figure out which build I want to play.
Any screenshots of the Lizard would also be greatly appreciated :)

Harmless
01-05-2005, 23:30
Personally, I would go with the wolf. Much better tank than a stalker and probably deals more damage as well.
The only problem with the wolf is the constant howling. Too bad you have to get rid of it to do the quest post searing. If I had known that I would have kept my stalker instead of getting a wolf!

Keizer Soze
02-05-2005, 00:33
The only problem with the wolf is the constant howling. Too bad you have to get rid of it to do the quest post searing. If I had known that I would have kept my stalker instead of getting a wolf!

LOL. Well you are right about the howling part. My pet never seems to shut up, but he makes up for it in the long run by tanking as I launch arrows with my new bow.

I'm not sure what you mean by the other part. I tamed a stalker in pre-searing for the Ranger Nente quest and then dumped it off at the tamer right next door. Then I went out and grabbed me a wolf and have had him ever since. He's level 20 now in post-searing and seems to work pretty well for the most part. You can always change your pet out in poet-searing (not sure where a tamer is though) and pick up a snow wolf around Yak's Bend or somewhere around the snowy areas.

If you can't handle the howling, then you definitely don't want a wolf though :happy34:

kal gregor
02-05-2005, 03:30
Does anyone have any information concerning the Lizard pet yet? You'd think it had high attack speed and I'd test it myself except my BLOODY RETAIL COPY STILL HASN'T ARRIVED YET. Beginning to feel like a moron for pre-ordering so early internationally but I figure I might as well figure out which build I want to play.

I'm still waiting too, or I'd have got my wolf by now. And the howling is cool :) As for the Lizard pet I tried that last beta, and it said invalid target, same as the moss spiders. Maybe eventually we can get them, just not yet. I'd be tempted to get the rabbit if it was white.

Tarew
02-05-2005, 09:47
I'm still waiting too, or I'd have got my wolf by now. And the howling is cool :) As for the Lizard pet I tried that last beta, and it said invalid target, same as the moss spiders. Maybe eventually we can get them, just not yet. I'd be tempted to get the rabbit if it was white.

Hmm, well someone (I believe it was Lycaon) said he'd charmed a Lizard pet in Amnoon Oasis, the new area after Sanctum Cay so I expect that means those are either different Lizards or that Lizards have simply been made charmable now :)
By the way, I tried charming a rabbit in pre-Searing Ascalon during the Early Access period but it said invalid target unfortunately ;)

calderstrake
02-05-2005, 09:51
If you live in Asia, check out my post:
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=343055