PDA

View Full Version : Help with a build

Nyarlethothep
01-05-2005, 01:16
Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read this post and consider the situation. I am coming from EQ where you know you don't have alot of choices, in fact the situation is more alike to the destruction of the Berlin Wall. Coming from the SOE Commies to the light of reason, choice etc. In either case I am considering a build which I hope will not only be fun to play, functional and a contributor as well. I am coming here because I do not quite understand the game mechanincs. I have the trees that I want to focus in, as to how many points to spend what skills I have a general idea so if you would be so kind as to critique, I would be muchly obliged. Here goes.

Mesmer/Warrior
Trees Pursued. Domination, Illusion, Tactics and Fast Cast
Skills:
1) Backfire: For 10 seconds, whenever target foe casts a spell, that foe takes 35-119 damage

2) Etherfeast: Target foe loses 5 energy. You are healed 8-24 for each point of energy lost

3) Arcane Echo: If you cast a spell in the next 10-26 seconds, Arcane Echo is replaced with that spell for 20 seconds. Arcane Echo ends prematurely if you use a non-spell skill

4) Conjure Phantasm: For 2-12 seconds, target foe experiences health degeneration of 5

5) Phantom Pain: For 10 seconds, target foe suffers health degeneration of 1-3. When Phantom Pain ends, that foe suffers a deep wound, lowering that foe's maximum health by 20% for 5-17 seconds

6) Mantra of Recovery: For 5-17 seconds, spells you cast recharge 50% faster. This is an elite skill

7) Bonetti's Defense: For 5-10 seconds, you have a 75% chance to block incoming melee attacks and arrows. You gain 5 energy for each successful melee attack blocked. Bonetti's Defense ends if you use a skill

8) Deadly Riposte: For 8 seconds, while you have a sword equipped, you block the next attack against you, and your attacker takes 1-24 damage and begins bleeding for 3-21 seconds

What do you think? I think that is *pretty* balanced. If you have any suggestions please feel free to post them. If you think its crap, please tell me so. For reference, I put in the warrior skills purely for defense against meles. If it doesn't fit the build can you offer some Me/War PvE and PvP builds/tips? Thanks again and take care

Nyarlethothep
01-05-2005, 01:44
I was planning on running an interrupt Mesmer, however will an interrupt Mesmer work in PvE?

DIEnamic
01-05-2005, 02:03
if you ask me, your build looks like complete crap. mesmer primary would lose the huge armor advantage you would have as a warrior primary, it looks like youre going DoT (damage over time) to take down warriors while trying to tank them? the only real advantage of a mesmer first would be fast casting but with that much of an energy demanding build, its pretty much useless to go mesmer primary. aside from that, dont forget that their health degen is capped at -10. your idea of the build is quite good though, ill give you that. it could work well if you switched your proffessions around, w/me. DoT builds like yours tend to drain lots of energy, backfire would be pretty much useless vs melee, not to mention it cost 15 energy and you have no energy steals. the idea that you tapped into here is a mix of 2 popular mesmer builds, first is the DoT build, usually me/n, where you load them up on DoTs and combine it with the mantra of persistance to make the DoT spells last up to 84% longer, while you shut down their casters via backfire and interruptions. GG melee. the second idea would be an "illusionary warrior", usually w/me, which you use the illusionary weaponry skill to deal some great damage in melee, which is more useful hunting down their rangers and casters. at the moment, i dont understand where youre going with that build though... as of now, considering the game is new and mesmer is such a complicated class, people havent really figured out how to use them to their potential for pvp/pve, so dont let my cookie-cutter mentality scare you away from experimenting =)

:edit: interrupt mesmer is probably the worst way to do pve, the good news is that your build would be pretty decent for pve, its nowhere near as good as the common w/mo or anything ele/<insert here>, but none-the-less its still a great idea.

EternalFayth
01-05-2005, 04:00
On the topic of Mes/necro,

Is Mes/necro for drainer better than Nec/mes?

Thanks, rather new to the game :happy34:

DIEnamic
02-05-2005, 02:24
On the topic of Mes/necro,

Is Mes/necro for drainer better than Nec/mes?

Thanks, rather new to the game :happy34:

about that topic, in my opinion i like mesmers primary to make use of fast casting, and like i mentioned earlier, mantra of persistance is essential to a DoT build. dont get me wrong, there are many good ways to put a n/me drainer to good use, just nothing no one has thought of yet. on the downside of n/me, you will have everyone laughing at you for choosing necro primary :lol:

Nyarlethothep
02-05-2005, 02:47
Complete crap? ah well sh*t happens! Could you give me an example of the warrior/mesmer build you were speaking of? And what to focus in? If I did the phantom pain/chonjure phantasm route with manadrains and worked in swordsmanship or somesuch how would that work?

Tsume
02-05-2005, 19:27
Now the builds not horrible Nyarle. One thing you should note is that if you chose to be a ranged character, and merely switch over to your sword when you come under attack, your defense should actually work quite well.

I have noticed that my adrenaline on my Me/W still seems to go up even when im attackin with a cane, which realisticaly makes sense I suppose. Ranged or Mellee, attacking is attacking and adrenaline does pump :P.

What I mean is, if you use your spells offensively, and throw in your cane shots whenever possible, you should be able to switch to a sword for defense pretty smoothly. I would recomend atleast one change: Take out Arcane Conundrum for Migraine. That will give you another 3 degeneration.

You may also wish to take out Deadly Riposte for Mantra of Persistance (since you are so heavily degeneration it will save you energy and make you more effective by lengthening your hexes) or possibly an interrupt skill, since you do have potential anti caster capability with Migraine and your other drains on a caster, one interrupt could be all thats needed to stop a precious spell like Healing Breeze from getting off.

This isnt really a crappy degenerative build, after all it does have enough degeneration in it. Give it a try before you let people talk you out of things.

Nyarlethothep
02-05-2005, 19:46
Ok I revamped the build a bit and this is what I came up with:

Wa/Me

1) Conjure Phantasm:For 2-12 seconds, target foe experiences health degeneration of 5.

2) Phantom Pain:For 10 seconds, target foe suffers health degeneration of 1-3. When Phantom Pain ends, that foe suffers a deep wound, lowering that foe's maximum health by 20% for 5-17 seconds

3) Mantra of Persistence:For 30-78 seconds, any illusion magic hex you cast lasts 20%-84% longer

4) Clumsiness: For 4-7 seconds, if target foe attempts to attack, the attack is interrupted, target foe suffers 10-76 damage, and Clumsiness ends

5) Fevered Dreams:For 4-14 seconds, whenever target foe suffers from a new condition, all nearby foes suffer from that condition as well. This is an elite skill

6) Energy Tap:Steal 8-13 energy from target foe

7) Power Drain:If target foe is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and you gain 1-25 energy

8) Sever Artery: If this attack hits, the opponent begins bleeding for 5-21 seconds, losing health over time

Better than the last I think, though when fighting other tanks, do you think there will be enough of a window to use Power Drain? Is it effective?

EternalFayth
03-05-2005, 21:42
about that topic, in my opinion i like mesmers primary to make use of fast casting, and like i mentioned earlier, mantra of persistance is essential to a DoT build. dont get me wrong, there are many good ways to put a n/me drainer to good use, just nothing no one has thought of yet. on the downside of n/me, you will have everyone laughing at you for choosing necro primary :lol:

Aww :( but I like the way necro looks.. :(

BipolarTemp
03-05-2005, 22:52
That build looks better in that it synergizes more except for one aspect. I assume you mean for Fevered Dreams to make all your degeneration affect an area? While that would be lovely (and a bit broekn, perhaps), the "condition" term does not apply to hexes - only conditions. This means it would only spread your bleeding from Sever Artery, which doesn't justify itself, in my opinion. I like Tsume's idea for migraine, personally, but the choice is up to you.

Tsume
04-05-2005, 04:48
I do not believe this build will work. It is just very very energy dependent. Even with the two energy reclamation skills, I am still reserved about giving you the go ahead.

I am not someone that typically tells someone not to do something, or that it wont work. I encourage people to learn for themselfs....but you have one non caster skill on a Warrior primary character....I'm not sure it will work.

If you are heck bent on trying it, use your energy reclamation skills at every possible point, and ditch the shield for a high energy focus item. You should probably think about Ether Lord atleast as a possibility, becuase you will burn through your energy fast, so using a skill that gives you regeneration might be benficial.

I think your first draft was better.

If perhaps you meant to say Me/Wa on your second draft (but you did say 'other tanks' so i dont think you did) the skill Sever Artery is out of place. You have to be upclose to pull it off, and your build would have no defences or armor to pull it off.