PDA

View Full Version : Charmable creatures and those that should be

Kirsty
01-05-2005, 04:19
Charmable... is that a true word?

In any case. I came across a bunch of creatures that wouldn't be charmed since they aren't classified as "animals", and I met a bunch of creatures that were charmable but didn't look much like they creatures they were supposed to be.

1a. Warthog: pre-searing and post-searing
You can easily find them running around near Althea's Theatre, but also in other places like some parts of Green Hills County and on the other side of the Wall. You can also find these in the jungles near Kryta.
They start at level 2 but are agressive enough fighters to keep you happy. They don't look impressive though. Too tiny...

1b: Prize Winning Hogs: pre-searing
In Ashford, Farmer Dirk has lost his hogs when some bastard opened the hog pen. You can gather these beasts by running behind them and manoeuvring them back into the hog pen. As reward Farmer Dirk will pay you 25 gold... fun fun fun. Go pig wrestling!!!
Sadly, you can't seem to charm them. But they're warthog's little cousins aren't they? And they are a lot more TAME than wild warthogs. I see no reason why these aren't tamable except because you would be stealing from Farmer Dirk... who cares about a silly old grumpy farmer? It was me who opened that hog pen because I wanted to charm one of his pigs for my own self!

2a. Wolf: pre-searing, but also post-searing
Found in numerous places, but the easiest way to find them is to walk onto the farmlands near Ashford Abbey. They roam Regent Valley and Wizards Folly in small packs as well.
They also start at level 2 and they level really quickly. The downside is that they look more like hyenas and when I got my wolf, I actually decided to name him Hyena. Too bad he didn't change his howl into the sick giggle that hyenas have.

2b. Snow Wolf: post-searing
In the cold explorable areas near Yaks Bend, Borlis Pass... basically the Shiver Peak Mountains you can find the cousin of pre-searing wolves. They are pretty much similar in all aspect, except they look a bit nicer. What more can I say about them?

3a. Strider: pre-searing
Very fast attacking bird found literally everywhere. They seem to be very sturdy and they just look funny with feathers flapping all around the screen. You kind of lose sight of your target though but it will keep you smiling for quite a long time.
I believe these also start at level 2. Nothing to worry about though. Most pets level to 4 unbelievably quick.

3b. Moa Bird: post-searing
It's basically the same big bird as a Strider, but you can only find these in post-searing ascalon. There are a few running around in Old Ascalon and I seem to recall from previous BWEs that there are also some in Regent Valley and around the Great Northern Wall. Search well... these guys are fun. Starting level is really uncertain. I haven't looked one up yet since the game went public.

4. Bear: pre-searing
Found in Regent Valley and Wizards Folly. Some people strive to capture a bear because it is a great challenge. Bears have a charm breaking skill which has no seeming recharge time and can be cast more often than the mana cost of your charm skill allows.
I believe you can charm these either by teaming up as two rangers and keep charming them simultaneously, or perhaps by getting a warrior to aid you with knockdown.
Bears start at level 3, hit hard but slower than the other pets. They have a few innate skills like Brutal Maiming and that is also one of the reasons why people are so fathomed with them. I do not agree with those people... bears just don't look right to me.

5. Fern lizard: pre-searing
I heard about these creatures on guild chat. Personally I never saw them but they are supposedly somewhere on the other side of the Wall. I heard these were uncharmable, but from others I heard they were. If anyone has some information (and screenshots), don't hesitate to post.

6. Moss Spider: pre-searing
These cute little spiders can be found unhostile in Green Hills County and hostile in Regent Valley. I wanted one soo badly... but these aren't seen as animals. Why....????? We've been diddled. I can write an entire essay on why these arachnids should be charmable and would be better than the fathomed bears. But, it sums up into: faster attack, less collision radius, look realistic and more importantly... it will scare Minelle away! :p
Don't worry. I'll make it up to you by Dwayna's Kissing you some more later. ;)

7a. Melandru's Stalker: pre-searing and post-searing
These guys are of course the first ones you will charm. They are found in Regent Valley near Melandru's Shrine, but also in post-searing you can find them in Old Ascalon. In both places they are connected to a quest, so if you want experience rather than an early game cool pet, take these along and pick a new pet in post-searing.
They are actually great pets, don't get me wrong. They start at level 5, much higher than all the other pets, they look like panthers and combat-wise they're alright.

7b. Lynx: post-searing
In missions past Lion's Arch and jungle scenes near Kryta, the spotted Lynx will show his face. To me slightly more attractive than a Melandru's Stalker, but they basically have the same benefits. They're good for variation when you get tired of the Melandru black fur.

8. Rabbit: pre-searing
Somewhere in pre-searing, people have spotted a rabbit. I see it as a rumour, but if someone has a screenshot, that would be a great confirmation. This is an animal that would completely stink in combat, but who wouldn't want a killer rabbit from hell pestering your opponents? These things should definately be charmable, if only for the fun factor.

9. Frog: pre-searing
Another rumour to be confirmed. Frogs? Come now... wherever do you see these? They would be interesting though. With a frog-attack a la Kung Fu Hustle, it would be a great addition to any Monk/Ranger who knows the "Hand of Buddha" attack... seriously though... I just can't see it happening.

10. Swarm of Bees: pre-searing
Ever thought about this one? I have... bears are meh... swarms of bees is where it's at. These babies would make you totally 1337. Imagine a swarm blinding your opponents, stinging them with venom causing both daze, blind and minor poison, hence health degeneration. I really, really, really want those bees. I tried carrying the honeycombs away so I would keep the bees for myself, but whenever I entered a town, some bastard guard would get angry at my bees (who were of course stinging him silly) and he would chase me off.
Poor bees... you need me as a master... mistress. The honey would be a nice bonus too.

So yeah, I vote for charmable Moss Spiders and Swarms of Bees. Definately... though the choice would be so hard for me.

Diab
01-05-2005, 04:30
I know for a fact that there's a single rabbit a bit off the road between Devona and that town which has the entrance to the catacombs. I'll be sure to take a screenshot of it next time I visit that area.

I saw frogs in the EA around our guild hall in one BWE. I don't think they, nor rabbits, are tamable, simply because they look so small and weak.

Cantos
01-05-2005, 05:22
http://img195.echo.cx/img195/8072/bunny6lo.jpg

That's where the little bunny is. Go tame him, Celine!

I'm not sure about the 'look' of any of these animals really. The wolves definitely look ridiculous with the hump, the birds look a bit chocobo-ish I didnt want a Melandru's Stalker, oh no, no defaults for me... I guess the bears are ok. Basically I would be happy if the wolves looked sleeker.

Kamahl
01-05-2005, 06:14
when i started my ele as soon as i walked out a bit i saw a lvl 5 buffalo in like a lake not to far from where the worms/wolfs are

Diab
01-05-2005, 08:36
when i started my ele as soon as i walked out a bit i saw a lvl 5 buffalo in like a lake not to far from where the worms/wolfs are

Yeah that bull is a quest kill. The quest is given by the mesmer woman standing by the theater next to the city of Ascalon. I do not think he is tamable.

Kirsty
01-05-2005, 09:36
Ah! I remember the rabbit now! So silly I could forget :(

11. Bill the Bull: pre-searing
Definately, how could I forget Bill? He's kidn of doomed to die though and he cheats like hell because he blocks all physical damage to 1 damage point. He really dwarfs bears in that retrospect, plus he's got a few killer skills for himself.
Yes, I'll definately give charming him a shot when I create my Monk/Ranger.

I wonder about Joe the Devourer. Old Mack said he would hatch the egg we gave him and name the creature Joe. Since Joe would be hand-raised, he should be tamable. Did anyone spot him in post-searing?

Muff
01-05-2005, 09:45
Well since this hasn't been mentioned yet (quite frankly I can't believe you all forgot him :rolleyes: ) is good 'ol Joe the devourer in the post-searing quest, in the Driedmor Bowl area. I would drop Muffy in a second to get me a Joe, he's my hero (by the way no one tell Muffy about this post)

EDIT: Well it seems Celine remembered just a few seconds after I posted this so good on her :thumbsup:

Kirsty
01-05-2005, 12:27
I haven't seen Joe in post-searing yet, so I didn't actually know. I just remembered Old Mack's quest with the egg. Good to hear Joe will make his grand entrance in post-searing.

Cantos
01-05-2005, 12:33
Old Mack and his faithful Joe also turn up in a quest you are given in Piken Square!

Trancinghof
01-05-2005, 13:13
Theres a dust lizard down in the desert too. They look awesome :D

nocarrots4u
01-05-2005, 15:40
http://home.tiscali.nl/nocarrots4u/junk/carlotta.jpg

Looks like there is a pet spider in town ^____^"

Kirsty
01-05-2005, 16:03
Omg! Where did you charm it?

1SG Bowie
01-05-2005, 16:33
I spent about an hour attempting to charm the bees myself. The way the little buggers move (and my lag issues) it is almost impossible to target them and, in PvP they would be almost invisible.

Diab
01-05-2005, 19:21
I guess a rabbit picture isn't needed anymore, so here's a picture of frogs in the area surrounding the regular guild hall:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/frogs.jpg
And a picture of post-searing Joe:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/joe.jpg

Pretty cool how Joe and Old Mac come back later in the game.

By the way, I want to tame a bear in the pre-searing world. Is it possible to tame the normal enemy bears, or do I have ot find one that not an enemy to me (green text name, as opposed to red text name)?

Diab
01-05-2005, 21:14
I would also like to add that I would love to see tamable snow ettins. In a previous BWE, I, Xircon, Xarley, Undead, and two others (Tsume and a henchman?) were questing through the ice caves right before the Gates of Kryta town, and found a couple of neutral (green name) snow ettins walking around. They helped a lot against the mobs of enemy snow ettins we encountered there.

Later, I went back there with a ranger to try to charm one of them, but it couldn't be done. Just imagine the look of an opponent's face when he goes against a team of rangers and snow ettins. :lol:

Metroid_01
01-05-2005, 22:43
Omg! Where did you charm it?
ah, i can tell ya that. if you break out a map of pre-sear ascalon you will see a sort of island connected by like 3 bridges. (south of Ranik...all the way south) central in there you will find a bunch of drunks (funny as hell really o.o), and giant lvl 3 spiders. that bugger looks like one of em.

the way i got there was really roundabout. i went from Foibles to the mountains, though there until i hit the southernmost tip of the map (there is an ice cave south of the elementalist trainer i believe) and then east. i emerged into a foresty area with a ton of those annoying aloe seeds (but godly lvl 3 ones that will take you out in large numbers O.o.). following a river there (east) i came across a small settlement where the river forks. you want to take the easternmost fork and follow it to a healing spring where you want to then go onland and follow it northeast. there should be plenty of spiders. and some really funny drunks. :happy34:

ps. im sure theres a much easier way... but thats what i did.

Cantos
01-05-2005, 23:53
ah, i can tell ya that. if you break out a map of pre-sear ascalon you will see a sort of island connected by like 3 bridges. (south of Ranik...all the way south) central in there you will find a bunch of drunks (funny as hell really o.o), and giant lvl 3 spiders. that bugger looks like one of em.

You can find Carlotta wandering the Henge of Denravi. She is the pet of one of the NPC's already, sorry. She will lead you somewhere (Ventari's Refuge?) for a quest.

Edit: Actually somewhere is Riverside Ferry I think?

Kirsty
02-05-2005, 00:20

the way i got there was really roundabout. i went from Foibles to the mountains, though there until i hit the southernmost tip of the map (there is an ice cave south of the elementalist trainer i believe) and then east. i emerged into a foresty area with a ton of those annoying aloe seeds (but godly lvl 3 ones that will take you out in large numbers O.o.). following a river there (east) i came across a small settlement where the river forks. you want to take the easternmost fork and follow it to a healing spring where you want to then go onland and follow it northeast. there should be plenty of spiders. and some really funny drunks. :happy34:

ps. im sure theres a much easier way... but thats what i did.Ah, I didn't go into Regent Valley that far. Still a pity you can't charm her.

Duffer The Red
02-05-2005, 02:26
How about the Hydra's! (unless I missed the post) They were out of Yak's Bend and in the Ascalon Foothill area.
Would be a very nice, nasty pet!

Zero
02-05-2005, 03:30
By the way, I want to tame a bear in the pre-searing world. Is it possible to tame the normal enemy bears, or do I have ot find one that not an enemy to me (green text name, as opposed to red text name)?
The bear i've tamed (has anyone else in the guild actually managed to accomplish this yet? just curious...) was indeed hostile. As far as my search went there are no bears that are neutral.
They have break charm but the trick to getting around that is to charm them out of range. I managed this with minelle by letting the bear chase her and jsut as it hit the edge of my range i cast charm.
It was unable to turn around and cast break charm due to minelle's stalker pathing it i believe, but thats yet to be confirmed. After i got past the halfway mark break charm was going off every half second but since i was out of the spell range it didn't work.
I think the bears an excellent pet, it hits hard and with call of haste on it it attacks at a nice speed (about the same as an axe attack speed by the looks). The good thing about haste is it can always be active (30 second duration and 25 second recharge).
The only problem you may have with a bear is its size. Every now and again peopel get pathed but i've found no matter what type of pet i've had they have always pathed me or my team. But its worth it, seeing it use brutal mauling and its normal attack doing decent damage i've yet to see some characters reach in the area. Just have to stick some pet attack skills on there now won't I :D

UndeadBehlial
02-05-2005, 03:47
I wish Zero was tameable. He has the AI equal to most pets, and doesnt do tons of damage like most pets.

Muff
02-05-2005, 09:13
I wish Zero was tameable. He has the AI equal to most pets, and doesnt do tons of damage like most pets.
Sure Raph is tamable. All you need is one kettle of boiling water, a mug and a bag of English tea, then to keep him under the false impression that more tea is comming. Simple :thumbsup:

Zero
02-05-2005, 12:53
Sure Raph is tamable. All you need is one kettle of boiling water, a mug and a bag of English tea, then to keep him under the false impression that more tea is comming. Simple :thumbsup:
You forgot to add a few pints to that list....

Muff
02-05-2005, 14:18
You forgot to add a few pints to that list....
But then if I got my Raph onto the grog, what use would you be when your too uncoordinated to hit anything :scratch:. Also grog is expensive, I'm not spending more than I have to on you, your just not worth it in my opinion :rolleyes:. But then again, it wouldn't be too expensive as I know you wouldn't last more than a few :p