PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator vs Wyvern armor - which is better?

Minos Mather
01-05-2005, 10:54
So i reached Ventari and saw that you can't craft Knight/Plate there anymore. (in forge after ascention now) In any case, would Gladiator or Wyvern be better for a PvE centered W/N?

Gladiator - 65, +20 vs physical, +7 Energy for complete set
Wyvern - 70, +10 vs physical

Seems like Gladiator would be the best by far, more AL vs physical AND +7 Energy...but is that 5 AL on Wyvern worth it?

Impetus
02-05-2005, 05:48
I prefer gladiator.. used it in beta.. now almost have full already... just need a helm and gaunlet :)

calderstrake
02-05-2005, 07:18
I use:

Captain's Helm +1 Hammer
Galdiator Gauntlets, Leggings and Boots (+4 energy)
Wyvern Hauberk

I get a good mix this way. The leggings are the best piece at +2 energy.

Knuckles
02-05-2005, 22:57
I use the Wyvern helmet found in Ascalon city 55 armor. It includes a +1 to strength, I would guess that the later versions of this helm have the same attribute. this might help with the decision especially if the other parts of the armor add something. Haven't made it over the shiver peaks yet so I am not sure what is there and they don't show the other pieces in ascalon.

TheDiceman
03-05-2005, 06:41
I have mostly Gladiator armor since with a mesmer subclass I need all the energy I can get. My helm and boots are both Wyvern, Helm because I also bought it in Ascalon and it was the best I could get (still is) with the +1 str bonus it is nice. My boots are also Wyvern becase, well I like the way they look honestly.

cliffordthebigreddog
03-05-2005, 06:45
at what lvl does it take to get to venatari? is it the only place that you can craft the full wyvern set?

Metroid Man
03-05-2005, 21:57
I'm using Wyvern 55 helmet, Ascalon 35 hauberk (Can't find any square furs for the 55 reduced damage), gladiator 50 leggings, gladiator 50 boots and gladiator 50 gauntlets from Lion's Arch.

Some of the Gladiator kit I find useless, like the hauberk, I mean, who is really going to choose +3 energy over the +10 vs. Phys attacks AND reduce damage of ascalon. OR the wyvern hauberk.

I've only reached Druids Overlook so far so I haven't been able to get any knights or platemail. Not bad for a level 12 though.

Herthbul
04-05-2005, 05:34
You have a long ways to reach Knight/Plate, so I'd suggest picking up the armor set at Quarrel. You'll need it. As for which is better, it basically comes down to the energy bonus from Glad's versus the AL bonus of Wyverns. If you use energy skills on a fairly frequent basis or are a W/Mo running Mending, Gladiator's probably would suit you best. But if you're a mostly adrenaline character or use only 1~2 situational energy skills Wyvern's is probably best. And of course you could just mix and match and voila, you're all set.

Dragon Flame
04-05-2005, 22:42
Ive been using glad for some a few days now, like it a lot. the only thing thats better about Wyvern is the chest plate's armor. but then again Glad chestplate gives 3 energy.

Children of Gaia
07-05-2005, 22:47
I read all the posts, thinking WOW this gladiator armor sounds GREAT! Little t my suprise I looked like Gonad the Barbarian. Over 1/2 the armor exposed my skin, it looks like i'm wearing a metal dress and when you add a color it barely stains making it look pastell. Ooooh BOY! That look will gaurantee you will never find anyone to travel with again.

On the other hand :surprise:

WYVERN ARMOR : THE Manliest ARMOR around.

Not only does this look like the Armani of armor any color you dye it makes it look bad as HE double hockey stix. Including the helm. Large horns protruding from your helm. Now benefits you ask? Try exploring the dwarven wiorld until you find the unidentified armor. Use the ID kit to find out what it is and the expert salvage to 'salvage' and more than likley you will turn a rune that will add armor properties to your new wyvern armor.
I wish there was a way to display a picture and I 'd prove it.

P Blondi

Dragon Flame
09-05-2005, 02:07
I read all the posts, thinking WOW this gladiator armor sounds GREAT! Little t my suprise I looked like Gonad the Barbarian. Over 1/2 the armor exposed my skin, it looks like i'm wearing a metal dress and when you add a color it barely stains making it look pastell. Ooooh BOY! That look will gaurantee you will never find anyone to travel with again.

Not only does this look like the Armani of armor any color you dye it makes it look bad as HE double hockey stix. Including the helm. Large horns protruding from your helm. Now benefits you ask? Try exploring the dwarven wiorld until you find the unidentified armor. Use the ID kit to find out what it is and the expert salvage to 'salvage' and more than likley you will turn a rune that will add armor properties to your new wyvern armor.

P Blondi
if you wanna talk about looks, then yea, gladiators armor doesnt look like it really protects from much, but wyvern armor, dont get me started on wyvern armor. THE HELM LOOKS RIDICULOUS! I think they improved the look of the chestplate, which used to look like the warrior had a very large stomach indeed. The best looking armor, knight's, knight's all the way.

StryderZERO
09-05-2005, 11:13
I have to agree . . . Gladiator is the worst looking armor ever. How could that possibly have the same armor ratings as Plate armor and Knight armor? I mean, I've seen lingerie that covers more skin than that "armor". Sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.

I own Knights armor, and it rocks. But I must say Plate armor wins the looks game. That helm covering your face . . . so sinister looking.

Psypoto
09-05-2005, 12:05

P Blondi

Use http://www.imageshack.us/ and post a link to the picture.

Like this: http://img141.echo.cx/my.php?image=gw0031at.jpg

Titan Member
09-05-2005, 21:44
Yes, very ghay looking. But the increase in energy is worth it if you use attack spells often.