PDA

View Full Version : Mes/Ran or Ran/Mes for anti-caster/overall versatility in PvP?

jhokie
03-05-2005, 01:17
I've just quickly gotten a Mes/Ran through the newb area, and I like it, but I'm just wondering if I should consider switching the primaries before I invest too much time.

I think I'm leaning towards going mostly with the domination/marksmanship trees, so which primary attribute would benefit me more? I dont think I will have the skill points to put much if any into beast mastery.

How useful is the increased armor of the Ranger primary over the mesmer primary? That would seem to be the biggest advantage to me. How much energy do you lose out on with ranger primary, and is expertise enough to make up for this?

I'm planning this character to be anti-caster in pvp, but of course being good overall never hurts. I'd love to hear any opinions on this choice. Thanks for any responses.

Note: I posted this in the ranger forum, but since I haven't gotten any responses I thought I would try here.

Tsume
04-05-2005, 04:34
Hey jhokie.

The question really is this:

Are you going to use primarly casting skills, or primarily Bow skills?

If your planning to be an anti caster, who carries around one or two damage skills or concussion shot, and mostly spells, then the Mesmer profession would probably suit you best.

If you are planning to carry around a lot of damageing bow skills, with 2 or 3 skills like Backfire, or Wastrel's or whichever then you should go Ranger Primary.

The Ranger Primary has a max of 30 energy and 3 regeneration arrows IIRC. The reason you would pick it, is if you are using a lot of bow attacks, because Expertise serves extremely well in reducing their costs. If you are planning on taking Concussion shot and multiple bow attacks, definatley go Ranger primary. Additionaly, the Expertise tree opens you up to defensive stances as well.

I hope this gives you a sufficient idea.

Ion The Sudden
22-03-2006, 00:53
I made a ranger/mesmer as a pvp character and he worked really well. Although I only did RA i survived for quite a while with high wilderness survival and good illusion magic. I seemed to also deal a lot of damage with posion arrow and energy burn.:wink2: