PDA

View Full Version : SOLUTION: Playing on Unsupported(non-ATI/Nvidia) GPUs

teqguy
04-05-2005, 03:29
Laptop and non-Nvidia/ATI GPU users rejoice!

Here's a couple of simple methods to get your Intel, XGI, SIS, Matrox, and all other 3rd party GPUs playing Guild Wars.

What this will do:

+ Allow you to play BSOD free

What this won't do:

+ Provide the same performance or graphical quality attained when playing on a Geforce or Radeon series graphics card

Method one:

Nvidia provides a tool for software developers that allows them to test their applications on other GPUs without having to actually swap graphics cards.

NvEmulate will do just what its name says- emulate a Geforce series graphics card by either forwarding some of the instructions the current graphics card doesn't support to the processor or by disabling some of the features the current graphics card has that lesser graphics cards don't support (depending on whether you're emulating a higher powered graphics card or a lower powered graphics card).

To determine the best possible setting for your graphics card, here is a list of what your card would equate to in the Geforce series:

Intel Extreme Graphics I/II* =>> Geforce 3 Ti

Matrox Millenium/Parhelia =>> Geforce 4 Ti (performs like an MX, though)

SIS Mirage, XGI Volari V3, Intel Extreme Graphics III* =>> Geforce FX 5200

XGI Volari V5 =>> Geforce FX 5600/5700

XGI Volari V8/Ultra =>> Geforce FX 5800/5900XT

XGI Volari Duo =>> Geforce 6200
* This gpu does not support hardware texture and lighting (HW T&L). Performance and/or quality can potentially suffer.

Select the appropriate GPU from the list in NVEmulate and then hit apply. Keeping the application running is un-neccessary. If you need to disable emulation, select "No Emulation" and hit apply.

NVEmulate is available here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvemulate.html

Method two:

Since most graphics cards have higher OpenGL compliancy than they do DirectX compliancy(mostly because Microsoft is constantly updating DirectX, while the graphics card manufacturers themselves update OpenGL within the driver), it's very hard to find a graphics card that isn't at least OpenGL 1.1 compliant.

Because of this, a graphical engine written in OpenGL will most likely reach a wider audience with fewer inherent losses in performance or quality than if it were written in DirectX.

In order to make a graphical engine render in one API without having to reprogram it for that specific API, we can use a software layer that sits between the graphics card and the graphical engine. This layer is typically known as a wrapper and will serve as a translator between DirectX and OpenGL or vice-versa.

The DirectX to OpenGL wrapper is available here: ftp://ftp2.v3x.net/vx/pub/d3d8-gl-0.09.exe

For more support on this wrapper, visit the RealtechVR website: http://www.v3x.net/directx

I hope this helps everyone who has been unable to play because they didn't have a Geforce or Radeon series graphics card.

Happy gaming!

slipVaYnE
04-05-2005, 13:19
Worked for me. I can now run the game, but i'm having issues like all the other people...i click in inventory, BOOM, blue screen of death. ><

teqguy
04-05-2005, 18:56
Worked for me. I can now run the game, but i'm having issues like all the other people...i click in inventory, BOOM, blue screen of death. ><

I've pinpointed the inventory problem down to a Direct Draw(two dimensional) error, which would be very easy for them to fix. Unfortunately, if you e-mail Arena Net TS, they'll simply say they don't support the GPU.

I'm under the assumption that they don't want people with third party GPUs to be able to run the game, so that they'll have to run out and grab an ATI or Nvidia graphics card.

If you can tell me what the BSOD message says, I can diagnose it, but please try the following before you respond:

If you used method one, try setting the emulation to Geforce 3. This should reduce the instruction set to the bare minimum. It's possible that the graphics card is still being fed instructions it's having trouble processing... this will clear it up.

Use both methods together.

Try the game in windowed mode.

Update your graphics card and chipset drivers. Here is a list of common chipset manufacturers: Intel, SIS, Nvidia, Via.

Try the following:

Well it seems that I can't edit my first post, so I'll have to post it here. If a moderator could append the following into my first post and delete this message, I'd appreciate it.

Method three:

If we limit the specific calls from the game that the graphics card is having a problem with, we'll essentially eliminate the BSODs that occur everytime that instruction is called.

In order to do this, we employ a tool called DXTweaker, which is available for download in both rar and zip format(the zip is larger, so get the rar if you can):
http://www.nonatainment.de/portal/DesktopModules/Downloader.aspx?itemId=11&filename=dxtweaker.rar

http://www.nonatainment.de/portal/DesktopModules/Downloader.aspx?itemId=12&filename=dxtweaker.zip

The first thing to do in DXTweaker is to set up a profile for your game in which we will execute it from. So, create a new profile by right clicking in the projects column and selecting "New". Give your new project a name and direct it to your Guild Wars application (gw.exe).

After that, remember to click "Active" so that you don't forget to do it later.

In the settings, check DX7Support and CapsChanger. Under the CapsChanger, if you hit the right arrow near the tabs, you'll eventually see a tab that says T&L.

In the T&L tab, fill everything in with zeros and leave Vertex Processing unchecked.

Then double click the project in the project column to run the game.

slipVaYnE
05-05-2005, 00:05
Ran in windows, only crashes with inv now, when i try to dump somethin off.
I cant get that link to work, so i went to the site..and its not in english..got another link?

teqguy
05-05-2005, 00:28
Ran in windows, only crashes with inv now, when i try to dump somethin off.
I cant get that link to work, so i went to the site..and its not in english..got another link?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4575.html

slipVaYnE
05-05-2005, 00:56
I did all that, and when i click on the GW icon to go, a small window pops up and leaves so fast, i cant read.

slipVaYnE
05-05-2005, 02:04
Gah, cant edit other post, i was gonna try that "wrapper" but the link is bad, i'm runnin on directx8, and wheni try to go to 9, it says its not passed the "windows inspection blah", and when i try to update my video drivers, i get a big fat error there too, followed by a lockup..

*senses a Format sooN*

teqguy
05-05-2005, 03:53
Gah, cant edit other post, i was gonna try that "wrapper" but the link is bad, i'm runnin on directx8, and wheni try to go to 9, it says its not passed the "windows inspection blah", and when i try to update my video drivers, i get a big fat error there too, followed by a lockup..

Okay...

Here's the url to download the wrapper: http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dxglwrap/d3d8-gl-0.09.exe

To install DirectX, you need to make sure you have Cryptographic Services enabled. If it gives you an option to continue the installation even though it hasn't passed Windows logo testing, continue it.

As far as updating the drivers is concerned, do it manually(through device manager, not the exe) in safe mode and you won't have a problem.

slipVaYnE
05-05-2005, 05:22
where do i go to do the Cryptographic ting, and, your link is still bad, i can manuever, but i'm lost in a directory..cant find it :(
and, thanks for all this help man

teqguy
05-05-2005, 08:01
Start > Run > services.msc

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dxglwrap/d3d8-gl-0.09.exe?download

Select a mirror and it should download.

slipVaYnE
05-05-2005, 16:01
Ok, now, i get "could not initialize 3d thing" when i try to open gw, i had the wrapper, did it, this happend, so i uninstalled it, it its still doing it...and i have the cryptographic thing on, no option to continue..

and i get "d8d3.dll is not a valid image, check your diskette"

Scratch all that, i just restored it to yesterday, working back to how it was:
BSOD after so long
Cant touch inventory 85% of the time

teqguy
13-05-2005, 13:46
Update:

The Guild Wars change log notes that hardware compatibility has been improved. This should indicate that if the aforementioned methods did not work for you before, they will probably work now. The Guild Wars development team still neglects to acknowledge third party GPUs, though.