PDA

View Full Version : How do I search?

buglepong
04-05-2005, 14:36
The forum has no search button

Fallen_62
04-05-2005, 14:41
The forum has no search button

We turned it off because of the stress to our server. It will be back on shortly we hope, as we got a new server and are hoping this will help with the stress.

vizacahmin
04-05-2005, 17:43
to offload the search overhead from your forum servers, you may want to consider using something like ht://dig (on linux) or a google appliance. The search facility built into forums is typically not the most efficient way to search a heavily trafficked forum.

This removes the search load from your forum database and web servers. I designed a system like this and integrated it into an IIS application (to replace index server eww) and it works like a champion.

You would need to replace your results page with a new one that used curl (or LWP under perl) to pull the results, but it will be fast. You've immediately eliminated a huge database overhead.

At this point you reindex once a day, or reindex against a copy of the database (so you don't overload your forums with the crawler). You can also reindex all the time by limiting it to one page per second or something.

With a bigger badder forum server, combined with an offloaded search and tuned mysql (or whatever) cache, you could be very snappy indeed.

l8,
viza

Sartorius
04-05-2005, 17:46
We turned it off because of the stress to our server. It will be back on shortly we hope, as we got a new server and are hoping this will help with the stress.

Should have probably shut down the entire forums then, because w/o a search button active, you'll be getting a lot of redundant posts (as can be seen already) and sucking up all your BW on them. Not so mention it lowers the usefulness of a forums to practically nothing for game issues...now for any "social" pages, etc. it's not a bother and I doubt would even be missed. But it does greatly reduce the usefulness of the forums for other uses. :(

I hope you all get that new server soon, I really like this site.