PDA

View Full Version : Ele/Ranger?

seven L
04-05-2005, 18:55
so being the dummy i am, i made my 2nd prof. a ranger mainly because of the "omg, cool, a pet!" factor without really thinking things through. and after playing some more i realize that it's probably not the best 2nd proffession for a elem. what are your thoughts on this? having a pet to tank is nice in pve, but what about pvp? what ranger skills would complement an elem with a pet, and an elem without a pet? i'd really like to make this work as best i can since i really don't feel like making a new character just because i chose the "wrong" 2nd proffession :\

also, is there a way to change proffession later on in the game (if so, when?) or am i stuck?

sorry for all the questions >_<

thanks!

Hunt3r_kill4
06-05-2005, 07:37
Well, I'm a E/R myself, and there are PLENTLY of options you can go.

First off, no you cannot change your profession. Secondly, Rangers are the best support skill in my opinion, and you have alot of options to go with. You can either go with strong pet support, and get a pet of choice. Another is arrow/bow support, using crippling bow attacks and such. Another is going traps, which was my choice, using traps to knock down opponents while you hail them with your elemental spells

Djm406
06-05-2005, 10:14
When you get to the Crystal Desert later on in the game, you can change your secondary profession.

I'm sure there are some neat things you can do with a ranger secondary of course :happy53:

Glorfendill
06-05-2005, 11:20
Well, I'm a E/R myself, and there are PLENTLY of options you can go.

First off, no you cannot change your profession. Secondly, Rangers are the best support skill in my opinion, and you have alot of options to go with. You can either go with strong pet support, and get a pet of choice. Another is arrow/bow support, using crippling bow attacks and such. Another is going traps, which was my choice, using traps to knock down opponents while you hail them with your elemental spells

There are two common thoughts most people have about rangers that frankly drive me nuts!!!

#1 Rangers make good secondary for the pets... While pets are nice, these people forget that rangers have many many good skills that in no way involve a pet (though some may use the beast mastery skill).

#2 Wilderness Survival=Traps. Wilderness Survival IMHO is the Jack of all Trades attribute of guild wars. Here you have skills that can do just about anything a player could need. Take a close look at what some of these skills really do and you may be surprised at the ideas that begin popping into your head.

I Currently have 3 Characters, a Ranger Primary, and 2 (Warrior and Elementalist) with Ranger Secondary. The options presented by rangers go much farther than Bow/Pet/Trap.

Finally if your lost but don't want to ditch the character, get in touch with me in game. I'll get to know you, and if I like you I can give you some Ideas that will make your head spin on ways to truely take advantage of this inspirational Profession.

Glorf Belegel 17 Ranger/Monk
Glorf Endill 10 Warrior/Ranger
Glorf Indel 9 Elementalist/Ranger

HawkFyre
06-05-2005, 18:17
When you get to the Crystal Desert later on in the game, you can change your secondary profession.

I'm sure there are some neat things you can do with a ranger secondary of course :happy53:

Is that true? if so I may change mine when I get there.

seven L
06-05-2005, 21:07
thanks for all the replys guys. after playing more i decided that it isn't such a bad combo afterall so i'm gonna stick with it :) i dropped the pet (for now anyway) and focus on wilderness survival after reading all the skill descriptions. i'll miss my cat, but he's not really needed so much since i'm grouping w/ people now and not really soloing much. :)

Sadow
07-05-2005, 04:55
If you want to steal my idea (Since I am far too lazy to level up another character.) go Marksmanship/Beast Mastery/Fire Magic. Get Mark of Rodgort and Kindle Arrows. You are now setting fire to someone on every shot (-7 health degredation.) for 18 seconds. Enjoy.

Hunt3r_kill4
07-05-2005, 06:58
I agree with the pet thing. Personally, I think pets aren't so great.

MaskedWeasel
09-05-2005, 20:14
I'm an elementalist ranger and I basically use my ranger skill primarily for the beast mastery skill. The pets are good to take damage and focus off of you I wouldn't trade my wolf for anything, but aside from that there are some great skills that go along with the beast mastery attribute.