PDA

View Full Version : Profession choice. Advice appreciated.

TalonSlayer
04-05-2005, 22:22
In EverQuest, I was a Cleric. In Star Wars: Galaxies, I was a Doctor/Combat Medic. In Shadowbane, I was a Priest. In City of Heroes, I was an Empath. In World of Warcraft, I was a Priest. You can probably spot a trend.

I'd like to continue my habit of being a primary healer, but from what I've heard, Monk primaries tend to go down quickly. I've heard that an E/Mo is superior, due to Energy Storage. I was told that Me/Mo is better due to Fast Casting. Actually, in-game, people have advised me to choose just about every combo, because it's "better".

I'm not a Min-Maxer. I simply derive my fun from being useful to a group. I'm wondering... what combination would you recommend? It doesn't have to involve Monk-- I've played other classes in games, and can play anything effectively. If, for example, the world is short on Rangers, I could make one of those.

So, essentially, I'm asking-- what professions, or combinations thereof, would you like to see inhabit the world? When you think "Damn, we need more ___", what profession do you think of? Is it a Healer-base, as in most other games?

I apologize for my rambling post. I appreciate your time, and thank you in-advance for any advice you can offer.

Telastyn
04-05-2005, 22:45
That depends on your style of play. Making your primary a monk isn't terrible, though other classes [like the mesmer and elementalist] have better "special" attributes. But remember that your primary profession determines what armor you can use.

I have a monk/necro and an elementalist/monk that are both doing pretty well. As long as you stick with the healer sort, it probably doesn't matter too much what your secondary is. The world always needs mre healers...

Railen Shatterskull
04-05-2005, 22:58
First off, yes, healers tend go down quick due to the mobs beating on them relentlessly. It's the same as EQ, except I've noticed that the mobs will often head straight for the monk before the monk casts a spell. In EQ, they mostly waited until you got a CH off. Simply put, the AI is smarter, and the player base hasn't caught up yet to know how to protect the healer when he/she gets swarmed. The same goes for PvP: take out the healers first. However, the players will catch up and figure things out soon enough, so don't let a few deaths turn you away from a monk primary. The divine favor attribute (for primary monks only) will make you a more effective healer in the long run.

As for the other builds, I've not tried it myself, but I've heard a lot of people who like the E/Mo characters because of the added mana reserve. This will cost a little healing power in the end game though due to the loss of divine favor.

The class I'd like to see more of in the game is the mesmer. They can really make a difference, but they take more effort to play well. I don't think most people realize how much of a difference these guys can make in a battle.

TalonSlayer
04-05-2005, 23:02
Thank you for your posts. I'd like to ask a question regarding this piece--

The class I'd like to see more of in the game is the mesmer. They can really make a difference, but they take more effort to play well. I don't think most people realize how much of a difference these guys can make in a battle.
As a Primary, or a Secondary with Monk? I'm relatively unfamiliar with the profession. I'll do more research on it. Thank you.

Telastyn
04-05-2005, 23:16
Neither I'd say with a healing monk.,
Thank you for your posts. I'd like to ask a question regarding

this piece--

As a Primary, or a Secondary with Monk? I'm relatively unfamiliar with the profession. I'll do more research on it. Thank you.

Neither I'd say with a full healing monk. Mesmers need to throw a lot of spells, and depending on the sort you are, they require a lot of attention to the enemies. Monks also need to throw a lot of spells and need a lot of attention to allies. It'd be tough to not run out of mana or time trying to do both.

Though mesmers -are- quite useful, and somewhat rare in Roleplaying. Still, every party needs a monk [or two or three]; they can get away without a mesmer.

TalonSlayer
04-05-2005, 23:29
Neither I'd say with a healing monk.,

Neither I'd say with a full healing monk. Mesmers need to throw a lot of spells, and depending on the sort you are, they require a lot of attention to the enemies. Monks also need to throw a lot of spells and need a lot of attention to allies. It'd be tough to not run out of mana or time trying to do both.

Though mesmers -are- quite useful, and somewhat rare in Roleplaying. Still, every party needs a monk [or two or three]; they can get away without a mesmer.
Understood, and I've thought along the same lines. However, I can't think of a more appropriate/useful complement to my Healing Monk. I would just keep a spell or two from the Mesmer line up, and concentrate on my healing generally.

Do you have any better suggestions? I'd appreciate any input.

Railen Shatterskull
04-05-2005, 23:34
I agree with Telastyn. I wasn't meaning a mesmer secondary for a monk primary. I only meant that mesmers seem to be hard to find right now. For a secondary profession for a monk, I'd try either a ranger (just for the pet) or an elementalist for a few damage spells.

Telastyn
04-05-2005, 23:35
No, not really.

It's just a game really, try stuff out. If you don't like it, or want to try something else, make a new character. Levels/skills come pretty quickly in the beginning, and should give you a good taste of the character.

Shakurs Legacy
05-05-2005, 01:53
Agree alot with telastyn. But to answer your question...you need some self reflection. Do you

1.) Want people to love you
2.) Want to have fun
3.) Want to have a competitive build
4.) Want to be unique

If....

1.) Be a healer as primary and tanking as secondary
2.) Play the build u'll think u'll ahve the most fun!
3.) Read all the other sections, on these forums...that means pvp, all the classes, etc. This is a popular question...so many answers are there
4.) I'd think unique would be Ranger + something. Maybe ranger + warrior, try to challenge the game without using magic, or soemthing with Ranger in it because to me, thats THE most unique and scarce class

TalonSlayer
05-05-2005, 05:11
1.) Be a healer as primary and tanking as secondary
A Monk/Warrior? Hmm, never considered that. Didn't think I could get "Tanking" armor in Monk-form.

duladdar
18-05-2005, 06:22
One of my chars is a mesmer/monk, very tough class combo! still trying to hammer out the play style but its fun! anyway with this combo i find i really cant be the only healer in the group. with out the divine favor its tough to be the prime healer. anyway my favorite class combo i have currently is necro/ranger. i use the rangers pet, and one or two bow skills. and blood / death magic to keep myself alive and as my prime source of damage. but yesterday i found a bow with 9 - 14 dmg +10% dmg to hexed foes. I was very happy :) you can really get by with any combo you just need to find what you like the most. good luck :)