PDA

View Full Version : War/El or El/War Hammer/earth workable?

unfoundlime
05-05-2005, 02:42
I want to focus a build on the Elemental's skill Aftershock, would using hammer's Earthshaker to knock down foes work with the limited energy of a War/El?

Or might I do better to go El/War and use both Earthshaker and Earthquake to down foes then Aftershocks as needed?

unfoundlime
05-05-2005, 08:23
Maybe I can get some feedback by posting my Ele/War build.....this is my 1st build so hopefully its not too aweful.

Class: Elementalist / Warrior

Attributes: (cost)
Energy Storage: 10 (61)
Earth Magic: 11 (77)
Hammer Mastery: 10 (61)

Total attribute points used: 199/200

Skills:
1) Aftershock - (10,3/4,10) Nearby enemies are struck for 80 damage. Knocked down characters are struck for 52 additional damage.
2) Earthquake - (25,3,15) You invoke an earthquake at target foe's location. All foes near this location are knocked down and are struck for 80 earth damage. This spell causes exhaustion.
3) Crystal Wave - (15,3/4,20) Foes near you are struck for 76 damage, but are cured of any negative conditions. This spell ignores armor and magic resistance.
4) Earth Shaker (elite) - (10a,0,0) All adjacent foes are knocked down. This is an elite skill. (50% failure chance with Hammer Mastery attribute of 4 or less.)
5) Flurry - (5,0,5) For 5 seconds, your attack rate is increased, but you deal less damage.
6) Armor of Earth - (10,3/4,15) For 30 seconds, you gain 51 armor, but move 23% slower than normal.
7) Sprint - (5,0,20) For 8 seconds, you move 25% faster.
8) Aura of Restoration - (10,1/4,20) For 60 seconds, you are healed for 317% of the energy cost each time you cast a spell.

I am not very familiar with the way Adrenaline is accumulated, so I took flurry thinking it would get me to 10 Adrenaline faster. But I am not sure that the 'less damage' part of Flurry negates using it to boost adrenal gain.

I am open to suggestions, for example: I had a hard time picking a defensive skill(Armor of Earth) since I am not sure which of the many defensive skills if any are good for a meleeing elementalist.

I also considered taking "For Great Justice!" for its double adrenal gain.

I only took one hammer skill thus far, are there other good ones to take? Or use some hammer points elsewhere?

DIEnamic
05-05-2005, 09:21
I leveled my W/E hammer char to level 11, so far no energy problems at all. The build seems viable as a W/E, theres no way you want to go E/W with a hammer because you will just get torn to pieces on the frontlines with Elementalist armor.

BTW, W/E hammers are so much fun for PvP :D

Lozeritis
05-05-2005, 14:35
I've been trying a similar build.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to get ANY of the key skills lol.

I hate that you have to haphazardly quest for skills, virtually assuring that you won't get the skills you want.

Am I missing something?

unfoundlime
05-05-2005, 17:02
I leveled my W/E hammer char to level 11, so far no energy problems at all. The build seems viable as a W/E, theres no way you want to go E/W with a hammer because you will just get torn to pieces on the frontlines with Elementalist armor.

Curious which earth skills you use as a warrior with the limited energy?

DIEnamic
06-05-2005, 10:04
Curious which earth skills you use as a warrior with the limited energy?

First off, i'm using mostly air skills because early on it seems that every earth skill you get cost too much energy. This is how i'm set up at level 10:

Frenzy
Healing Signet
For Great Justice!
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Wild Blow
Armor of Earth
Hammer Bash
Ressurection Signet

I plan to get more skills, thats pretty much all my W/E really as at the moment, but it works out perfectly.

themullet
07-05-2005, 12:35
I dont think e/w works well because of a lower health and weaker armour due to having e as a primary class. Also, the benefits of Energy Storage isn't felt as much as with other classes as many w skills use adrenaline rather than energy.

However i have found that w/e works well, especially with gladiator armour for increased energy for e skills and that using Earth skills also works well.

My build is a w/e. I use axes but i use earth skills for defensive purposes. As a warrior, i find that arnour of earth and obsidain flesh are very useful in combat, especially when you can't be the target of enemy spells. Im sure that ofensive earth skills would also work, but i just thought i'd give an alternate view. Who knows, it could even be helpful:)

unfoundlime
07-05-2005, 18:42
Thanks for the responses, I am currently playing up my War/El and almost 11 now. Its alot of fun but one thing about a War/El is its healing ability is limited so far for me. So far I have been using an axe since I havent unlocked nearly as many cool hammer skills. I don't have many cool earthskills yet either so my skills are only split between Axe/Tactics/Strength.

RepinsMirg
08-05-2005, 16:54
This is the build im going with just hard getting the key skills.... can't wait for the earthshaker+aftershock combo

tiger-bunny
08-05-2005, 18:25

this is very wrong, i tested out an earth ele last beta and with earth armor and lvl 20 armor, i was tanking just fine with all the warriors on the front lines just make sure u have decent monk support and ure golden

DIEnamic
11-05-2005, 10:42
this is very wrong, i tested out an earth ele last beta and with earth armor and lvl 20 armor, i was tanking just fine with all the warriors on the front lines just make sure u have decent monk support and ure golden

It isn't that hard to remove earth armor if the other team has a decent debuffer. While you do have Earth Armor on, you can make a pretty strong tank, but without it theres not much chance to last long on front lines. Another problem a E/W will encounter is that the target caller is gonna choose you priority over a W/E.

tiger-bunny
12-05-2005, 01:59
ehhh ya, if i get debuffed its a pain, i usually set down a ward against melee if i can and then book, but man once those warriors got a taste of the quick earthquake/aftershock/crystal wave, they would be running home with their tales between their leggs :D

Im Bogus
12-05-2005, 07:08
i had the same idea as u did. Hammer + earth = KD + heavy dmg

i used devastating hammer -> aftershock -> stoning -> belly smash if surounded or Crushing blow if not = enemy dead and he didnt even stand up ! ... sounds nice ... but its not...

the problem is that u would be a warrior or u will be crushed by anyone as a elemen. and if ur a warrior u have not enogh energy and adrenaline to complete the combo (10 + 15 + 5 + too much adrenaline ). And as a elementalist u could easy complete the combo if u didnt get killed befor...

why dont u try the smiting monk for starts