PDA

View Full Version : shadow strike vs vampiric gaze

jmkrulez
05-05-2005, 03:05
Can anyone tell me why I would use shadow strike over vampiric gaze. It does less damage and doesn't steal health always. It does shadow damage...is that better somehow. Basically I just don't see the point to this skill...am I missing something?

hotdogtesting
05-05-2005, 06:14
Shadow Strike has a much higher damage limit. Provided the opponent has more than 50% life, the damage is 104 (52 Shadow, 52 Steal) compared to Vampire Gaze's 42 Steal Damage.

On a sidenote, Vampire Gaze seems to do Shadow Damage. Or a pseudo-shadow damage. I noticed that against Shadow Vulnerable creatures (Charr...) it can sometimes do 70+ damage.

Taxus Baccata
05-05-2005, 11:12
Personally I prefer Dark Pact to both of those, at 5 energy, 50% of the cost of Vampiric Gaze and Shadow Strike and only a 2 second recharge. The life sacrifice is easily off set by using Life Siphon or Parasitic Bond first.

In the heat of battle I often don't have 10 enery to burn, and by the time I do I am dead !

jmkrulez
05-05-2005, 14:39
I didn't realize it would do damage and then steal life on top of that if they were under 50% health. Now the attack makes more sense. Thanks.

chanx
05-05-2005, 18:30
I'm at lvl 20 now, and i've been kinda stuck on blood magic. I use dark pact quite a bit and pull health back with vampiric gaze. As i'm doing this if i run low on energy i pop off the blood signet (? think i got that right) which doesn't cost any energy to cast just has a slow refresh timer. Once i pop that off i have enough to pop another few dark pacts and possibly vampiric gaze again and repeat. If able i'll do what was said above and pop life siphon off first, especially if its a boss or mob with quite a few hp's. I've really enjoyed playing the necro, at the moment i'm at 15 in blood magic so i believe my vampiric gaze is 60 health steal, blood signet was 60 as well, and the dark pact is 48 for me. So far thats worked quite well in most every situation i've been in. I did try the shadow damage one but replaced it with the low energy cost dark pact instead since i knew the health wasn't an issue since i was already popping off health steal skills left and right.

Reni
07-05-2005, 10:27
I actually like using vampiric gaze, shadow strike, and dark pact if i'm going with a non-frontline blood build^^ shadow strike works as fantastic damage in the beginning (90+ with high blood), and you can usually throw in a dark pact just before so you can take max advantage of the extra drain^^.

EternalFayth
07-05-2005, 13:45
Shadow Strike's first attack is Shadow, but I dont think the drain is..

It's not uncommon for me (at 9 blood, i think) to get a 60ish First hit but only a 30 dmg 2nd hit..

I've only noticed High dmg VG once, though..