PDA

View Full Version : Healer Monk in need of PROTECTION!!

Dissection
05-05-2005, 03:57
So, well, the point of this topic is because I am making a pure healing monk (I tried out the "Divine Healer" template) and I don't know what spells to use so I live longer so I can heal. When I use the "Divine Healer" template on the battlefield (the random battlefield) I usually have very long, successive winning streaks, most are flawless :clap: , but then there are times when I get 2 or more annoying War/Monks on me and all I do is run around and healing breeze myself, and healing touch myself to stay alive. After awhile of doing that, I run ooe (out of energy) and I am usually a dead camper. So, I want to make a Monk that has more survivabilty and same, or a little less healing power.

What I was thinking was the spell "Protective Spirit:"

Protective Spirit

Description: For the next (5...19) seconds, target ally cannot lose more than 10% health due to damage from a single attack or spell.
Energy Cost: 10.
Casting Time: 1 second.
Recharge Time: 5 seconds.
Linked Attribute: Protection Prayers. Increases duration.
Skill Type: Enchantment Spell.

Now, that spell seems VERY GREAT, and it's not even an elite. It's decently low energy cost, and it has a very nice duration. And the fact that I can only take around ~48 damage each hit at most, is great!

Another route that I was thinking of, and it would probably be more fun, would be to take necro as secondary, and use the nice health drains.

Which do you think would be more viable? :confused:

Dangerslut
05-05-2005, 04:31
So, well, the point of this topic is because I am making a pure healing monk (I tried out the "Divine Healer" template) and I don't know what spells to use so I live longer so I can heal. When I use the "Divine Healer" template on the battlefield (the random battlefield) I usually have very long, successive winning streaks, most are flawless :clap: , but then there are times when I get 2 or more annoying War/Monks on me and all I do is run around and healing breeze myself, and healing touch myself to stay alive. After awhile of doing that, I run ooe (out of energy) and I am usually a dead camper. So, I want to make a Monk that has more survivabilty and same, or a little less healing power.

What I was thinking was the spell "Protective Spirit:"

Protective Spirit

Description: For the next (5...19) seconds, target ally cannot lose more than 10% health due to damage from a single attack or spell.
Energy Cost: 10.
Casting Time: 1 second.
Recharge Time: 5 seconds.
Linked Attribute: Protection Prayers. Increases duration.
Skill Type: Enchantment Spell.

Now, that spell seems VERY GREAT, and it's not even an elite. It's decently low energy cost, and it has a very nice duration. And the fact that I can only take around ~48 damage each hit at most, is great!

Another route that I was thinking of, and it would probably be more fun, would be to take necro as secondary, and use the nice health drains.

Which do you think would be more viable? :confused:

I've put all my points into healing and divine favor, with healing spells having considerably more points put into it. I had the same problems you did at first with random pvp. However, I have 44 energy at lvl 16 and +3 energy regen. First off I think good equipment is a MUST. k, anyways, this is the setup I ALWAYS use for random pvp, until I get new or better spells

1. healing breeze 2. healing orion 3 remove hex 4 purge conditions 5 infuse health 6 heal area 7 heal party 8 rez signet

if your problem is staying alive longer with a warrior on you, you have the right idea with running around in circles. a warrior barely tickles me with healing breeze, when I stop, purge his bleed, heal area and move on. eventually he WILL get tired and change targets, at which point you can do your job.

and a sidenote, I suggest using equipment that adds to max health and rune of minor vigor etc. easy to get, and it helps a TON. I rarely lose. Happy hunting.

Dissection
05-05-2005, 05:24
Hmm, I see...well, after playing tombs for like 2 hours just now...I really dont think that those necro spells are going to help at all..heh, so I will prolly go like 11 healing, and 10 divine and 10 protection...well, I hope it's fun...

But what secondary class should i take? Cause dont i need one to go on to old ascalon?

Dangerslut
05-05-2005, 15:58
Hmm, I see...well, after playing tombs for like 2 hours just now...I really dont think that those necro spells are going to help at all..heh, so I will prolly go like 11 healing, and 10 divine and 10 protection...well, I hope it's fun...

But what secondary class should i take? Cause dont i need one to go on to old ascalon?

I took elementalist. I never use the skills. if you are really going ot be all healing, it really doesnt matter all that much. but if I had the chance again, I would probably go Mo/Nec.

Taxus Baccata
05-05-2005, 16:16
My I suggest Mending.

You can cast it on yourself before the battle starts and then you will still be being healed whilst in the "running away" phase of the encounter. You already have the necessary points in Healing Prayers to make it viable. Just watch out for Pin Down, Imagined Burden, Hamstring, etc.

Daikini
06-05-2005, 21:47
My thoughts on some of the skills suggested:
Mending: approx. 6 health a sec hardly helps in latter levels when you are getting hit for 20-200 dmg per hit. There are other spells that are more scaleable. Mending is nice early on but after about LA or so it becomes worthless IMO.

Heal Area: The only way this spell would be worthwhile would be if they doubled the healing from it. And using it to heal yourself...normally when I really need to heal myself I am being swarmed so healing my attackers will only prolong the attack, which isn't too good a thing to do IMO.

Shielding Hands: A great skill early on, again, once you start progressing past LA that 8-10 off each hit wont be quite as effective.

Protective Spirit: Worthless early on but essential later in the game unless you use a lot of bond enchantments.

Heal Party: A good spell if you look at the healing/energy ratio. However, that assumes that your whole party is getting hammered on at once. Unless your foe is using earthquake or some similar spell this wont happen very often. Good PVP teams utilize focus fire and a good PVE team will arrange itself so only a few characters get the aggro. Much of the healing from Heal Party is wasted except for very niche situations.

Currently my Mo is mostly Healing but I have Protective Spirit thrown in and also bring along RoF if I know we will be fighting slow swinging/hard hitting mobs (giants).

EternalFayth
07-05-2005, 13:59
I like Monk/Ele..

Making Healing Breeze cost 5 energy is nice xP

Tuon
08-05-2005, 00:39
Signet of judgement RAPES warriors in arenas

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ajo7d/files/monk.JPG

that's the monk I ran during betas & she worked flawlessly. Still trying to remake her & spell #6 can be switched out for a number of better alternatives

shadyjoe
09-05-2005, 15:46
Tuon, do you mean Shield of Judgement? I like that too for protection from warriors, totally shuts them down. Look into Obsidian Flesh, Ward against Melee combo - for protection against Nukes, Hexes and Melee.

SojakFA
09-05-2005, 16:58
Young monk, heal thyself. Healing Breeze and Healing Hands do wonders ^_^

Also, my favorite thing for shaking off Warriors in the arena is one of the Elementalist Earth spells that make them miss 50-75% of the time. If you are using that you can swap out Healing Hands for something else like Word of Healing.

Saidinhc
09-05-2005, 19:06
Healing touch is a great self heal now.

If your having problems healing the full party and have some decent spec into protection, shielding hands really helps.

Protective spirit really only works at the higher levels. But then you can travel with Lina who has it and other spells.

Shield of regen the elite is awsome too.. Running a life bond on your tank in the party might help as well..