PDA

View Full Version : Need help, big connection problem!!

goukhy
05-05-2005, 17:23
Hi there, i just bought the game yesterday.
Installation was ok, and then i created my warrior.

Then i had to connect on server and download some files to get in... but..
nothing happends...

There is a download bar which indicates 0% and which is never increasing.

That sounds very strange because before this i had to connect to arena.net and that was wihtout any problems. So the problem dosnt come from my isp..

Then I installed the game in my friend's computer, and EVERYTHING worked very well..

I really don't know what happens here, but what i can tell you is that i have winxp sp2 2002. And I tried to play wihtout norton, without the firewall, and without the anti spyware.. but it was useless..

I tried to connect all night long without results... so if someone can help me.. sorry for my english im french, but if you need more precisions don't hesitate..

Thank you a lot

Byebye

Lonely Wolf
06-05-2005, 07:03
Then i had to connect on server and download some files to get in... but..
nothing happends...

There is a download bar which indicates 0% and which is never increasing.

That sounds very strange because before this i had to connect to arena.net and that was wihtout any problems. So the problem dosnt come from my isp..

Yes, this happens to me too. very annoying and disappointing. could I ask what type of connection you have? cable/dsl/128k/56k ? I'm using 56k dialup, and I believe the files you have to download are just so huge that it LOOKS like it's not doing anything, but in reality it's just going very slowly. that's my theory anyway. can anyone else help who knows what they're talking about?

also, is there a place on the official guild wars website to download these files without using the client's default download tool? if not, there should be. I have flashget on my computer, and it would be extremely helpful to use that instead.

kuklovod
06-05-2005, 10:17
don't do this if you are not sure yuo are comfortable with it, but for me it was solved by adjusting MTU (check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\MTU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NdisWan\Parameters\Protocols\0),

if some of those places have MTU setting higher than at your provider, you will get this problem. learning your maximum MTU - ping -f -l <MTU> <site>, for example "ping -f -l 1462 microsoft.com". If ping does not say "packet needs to be fragmented" then the value is fine.

polykarb
06-05-2005, 11:14
Yes, this happens to me too. very annoying and disappointing. could I ask what type of connection you have? cable/dsl/128k/56k ? I'm using 56k dialup, and I believe the files you have to download are just so huge that it LOOKS like it's not doing anything, but in reality it's just going very slowly. that's my theory anyway. can anyone else help who knows what they're talking about?

also, is there a place on the official guild wars website to download these files without using the client's default download tool? if not, there should be. I have flashget on my computer, and it would be extremely helpful to use that instead.

Burn 56k, it's from the stone age! Use stolen wireless internet!

Dark BoneZ
06-05-2005, 23:55
I was playing guildwars on a 56kb Modem when my Cable maxed out hahaha, no doubt it took a bit longer to load but not that long ^^.