PDA

View Full Version : Please help with those Ranger Elite Skills

Lycaon55
06-05-2005, 09:13
OK, I have not seen one elite skill on sale anywhere. I was told that they were to be captured on bosses. I found one boss (Is it a boss?) a Summit ranger lvl 28 called Thull the Bull. The first I encounter him I distinctly saw him using Poison Arrow. I came back with a capture Signet and tried ten times!!! the stupid summit now uses only Troll Unguent. It does not makes sense. So we cannot capture elite skills in explorable areas? only in missions?
It does make sense if I see a boss using a skill and not being able to capture it just because he uses it once in a month! the explorable is between copperham mines and Granite Citadel. All the rangers there are using Melandru's arrows but I cant find the boss! Help!

Hunt3r_kill4
07-05-2005, 05:52
OK, I have not seen one elite skill on sale anywhere. I was told that they were to be captured on bosses. I found one boss (Is it a boss?) a Summit ranger lvl 28 called Thull the Bull. The first I encounter him I distinctly saw him using Poison Arrow. I came back with a capture Signet and tried ten times!!! the stupid summit now uses only Troll Unguent. It does not makes sense. So we cannot capture elite skills in explorable areas? only in missions?
It does make sense if I see a boss using a skill and not being able to capture it just because he uses it once in a month! the explorable is between copperham mines and Granite Citadel. All the rangers there are using Melandru's arrows but I cant find the boss! Help!

You can get them from the boss IF it actually has it. I guess you just gotta keep trying until the boss decides to use the skill...

ratmanXGF
07-05-2005, 09:56
good luck 8-\

i wished i could find poison arrow...

jhokie
07-05-2005, 10:00
So you can only capture from bosses then, as opposed to regular enemies? I'm at lion's arch now, how far til i can get the capture signet, and how far after that until I get to where you've seen these elite skills? heheh

Neon
07-05-2005, 18:22
Apply Poison is available to buy from Captain Greywind in the Ascalon Settlement just to the north of Lions Arch.

As for capturing skills, i dont know i just go the signet about 25 minutes ago and am looking for bosses with skills on the net that i want before i waste it, but looking at your luck with it, i might save it for a while :)

Yeah sorry, Apply Poison not Poison arrow :P

jhokie
07-05-2005, 20:00
Does the capture signet only work once... so that basically means you can only get 1 elite skill?

Quickbeam
07-05-2005, 21:42
Does the capture signet only work once... so that basically means you can only get 1 elite skill?

Well, it's given to you as a quest. You have to capture a skill and return. You're given XP and another Capture Signet. It works once and is permanently replaced by the captured skill. You can then go back to the quest giver buy another using a skill point. Rinse and repeat.

Lalenthar
07-05-2005, 21:50
jhokie,

A Signet of Capture is used one time only to capture a skill from a named mob....ANY named mob in ANY zone or mission that has a skill your profession can use.

It won't work on regular mobs.

The skill you capture takes the place of the signet permanently.

http://www.myimagestore.info/upload/images/V1M91487.jpg

Once used, you can go back to Magi Malaquire in Lion's Arch to purchase ANOTHER Signet of Capture for one skill point and some gold.

http://www.myimagestore.info/upload/images/4Ly91818.jpg

The first two signets you get from him are free for doing his quest. Any others after that you have to purchase. You can only possess one signet at a time, but you can get one over and over, as many times as you want.

You can use a Signet of Capture to get as many elite (or normal for that matter) skills as you wish, as long as you have skill points to spend on the signets.

Lycaon55,

As for the bosses not using the same skill everytime...it's the same as when you cast.

You don't always use the same skill every time, over and over, in every casting opportunity. Mobs are similar. They have a choice of what to cast. You have to wait until the mob chooses to use the skill you want, or sometimes FORCE him into using the skill. If you see a boss using something like Troll Unguent all the time, when you know he used Poison Arrow the last time you fought him, bring along an interrupt skill the next time and smack him with it when he tries to use Troll Unguent. Distracting Shot is great for that because if it works, he can't cast that healing spell for 20 seconds. You force him into having to choose another skill to cast instead from the choices he has available, and eventually he'll cast Poison Arrow again.

The problem/advantage here stems from the fact that if a mob has any kind of healing skill, normally once he's down to just over half of his health, he'll start using his heal skills. A lot.

The advantage to that fact is once you get used to how that works, you can get a feeling for when to cast your interrupts, and you can kill him pretty quickly by keeping him from healing. (You see he's about to be at half health, so you know if he can heal at all, he's likely going to start his healing then, so you get ready to interrupt him....it's something you can anticipate.)

Another advantage to know is that USUALLY once a mob that can heal itself is down past half-health, say around a quarter of his life total, he usually STOPS casting his healing spells altogether. If you can get a mob down that far in health, it means you're 'over-the-hump', he won't heal very much now, and you should end up winning the fight. Usually. Mostly.

The downside for capturing skills specifically, is that once a mob that can heal has started using those healing skills when he's at about half his life total, it seems like he uses that healing skill a lot, and stops using any other skills for a bit. Something like Poison Arrow is more likely to be cast when he's at full health, just entering into a fight....or at the very end of a fight once he's stopped trying to heal himself.

I'd suggest finding the mob that casts what you want....kill him, and record where you fought him. The hard part is just finding the correct mob. Don't worry if you miss getting the skill off him the first time, or don't have a signet on you. Come back a second time with a Signet of Capture, AND an interrupt skill. Get up close to him, and be ready right as you BEGIN a fight to capture the skill you want. Hope he casts it before he starts getting low in health. If he hasn't cast the one you want immediately, start interrupting the skills he's using until he starts casting the one you want.

You may have to do this more than once, don't get discouraged. If a mob casts a skill once, he'll do it again. Have patience.

Hope this helps.

Lalenthar

Neon
08-05-2005, 01:09
Youve inspired me to give Disrupting shot a try, seeing as Cry of Frustration doesnt seem to work on monsters.

Villith Feivrine
08-05-2005, 11:00

Mind sharing what zone Thull was in plz?

Lycaon55
08-05-2005, 17:53
Mind sharing what zone Thull was in plz?

OK I finally got Poison Arrow and it was not on Thull the Bull (my mistake) but another boss called Ketona located in the same area. Ketona is found between Copperhammer and Granite Citadel in the Shiverpeaks (area reachable after Crystal Desert missions).

Villith Feivrine
09-05-2005, 16:31
awesome ty!

MaximumSquid
10-05-2005, 05:23
Anyone know where i can pick me up some Incendiary Arrow?

aloric
10-05-2005, 05:24
I killed all mobs in Shiverpeak and run around but never found Ketona, Are you sure he's in Shiverpeak and what kind of mob is he?

OK I finally got Poison Arrow and it was not on Thull the Bull (my mistake) but another boss called Ketona located in the same area. Ketona is found between Copperhammer and Granite Citadel in the Shiverpeaks (area reachable after Crystal Desert missions).

Lycaon55
10-05-2005, 12:04
I killed all mobs in Shiverpeak and run around but never found Ketona, Are you sure he's in Shiverpeak and what kind of mob is he?

Yes it is in the Shiverpeaks (area reachable after the Crystal Desert). Start from copperhammer mines take the exit Spearhead Peak go north, dont take the far left path,stay on the right. On your right and there is a small plain, explore it and Ketona is south of that plain.

aloric
11-05-2005, 00:07
I got poison arrow in Witman's folly and quick shot @ NE of Perdition Rock (in ring of fire zone) off a female boss named something like ...Minestone.

Yes it is in the Shiverpeaks (area reachable after the Crystal Desert). Start from copperhammer mines take the exit Spearhead Peak go north, dont take the far left path,stay on the right. On your right and there is a small plain, explore it and Ketona is south of that plain.

Ragnor of ascalon
11-05-2005, 05:47
Anyone know where you can find Oath Shot? Please include the name of the boss and exact location if possible. Thanks

Keizer Soze
11-05-2005, 20:03
Anyone know where you can find Oath Shot? Please include the name of the boss and exact location if possible. Thanks

Oath Shot is pretty easy to find. You can get it from several bosses after you reach Draknor's Forge. The coop mission where you have to protect the King Dwarf (Iron Mines of Moladune?) is where I captured mine. I carry a signet of capture around with me and captured Oath Shot here since I wanted something and still cannot seem to find freaking Barrage Shot.

Hope this helps...

Nairax
11-05-2005, 21:21
The easiest way to capture Oath Shot is to do the Iron Mines of Moladune mission until you come across the boss Jade Bow. He spams it like crazy.

Oh and as far as Incendiary arrows goes - those lava spitter spiders in the fire islands use it. If we can find a boss lava spitter we could capture it.

Also, isn't it kinda strange that Markis isn't a boss when every other end-level baddy is a boss?

melignus
11-05-2005, 21:47
the dwarves everywhere are using it in post shiverpeaks but i cant find a boss using it anywhere

anyone know where to get it?

Ragnor of ascalon
12-05-2005, 09:08
I found barrage shot i captured it in the iron mines of moladune, right after the seer that infuses your armor there is a passage off to the left when you head to the eladon? to get the stuff to infuse the armor follow this to the fort building and there wil be some guys there and markus or whoever it was i forget who uses barrage at least he did for me and i captured it. It owns. to bad apply poison doesnt stack with it

RandomEngy
12-05-2005, 18:02
I just got Incendiary Arrows from Casses Flameweb in the Ring of Fire mission.

(edit) About barrage: They fixed that? Last time I tried it said Markis wasn't a boss.

Ragnor of ascalon
12-05-2005, 18:49
Yeah it was apparently fixed the markis tboss thing in the update last night cause right after i got back on and did mission i could capture from him.

aloric
12-05-2005, 20:07
thx guys. I captured barrage.

Sly Marbo
13-05-2005, 05:49
Anyone have any luck capturing Spike Trap? I know its at D'Alessio Seaboard near the end of the mission but so far I haven't seen him cast it at all. Of course so far I haven't had any luck convincing my teammates to wait so I can try and capture.

melignus
13-05-2005, 07:16
my friend accidentally came across spike trap in the swamp just north of lions arch. the boss that i got it off of was alone in the far north east corner of the swamps.

poison arrow is in witmans folly, i found it yesderday on a boss named something Pin Pin.

im currently on the lookout for Greater Conflagration.

Lycaon55
13-05-2005, 09:55
I just got Incendiary Arrows from Casses Flameweb in the Ring of Fire mission.

(edit) About barrage: They fixed that? Last time I tried it said Markis wasn't a boss.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I also got Barrage from Markis (finally).
Any clues concerning Crippling shot and Punishing shot?

Sabrina
14-05-2005, 23:01
Sorry, im a lil noob, those places u are talking.. where are? : Witman`s folly, Dracknor Forge, Mines of Modulane, .... u are talking about PVE and lately Ascalon ?

For now i know from Ascalon to Lion's Arch and D'alessio Seaboard, but i cant fin on map those places or in cartographie setion, can u help me?

Thx in avance.

Sabrina

jhokie
15-05-2005, 18:52
Sorry, im a lil noob, those places u are talking.. where are? : Witman`s folly, Dracknor Forge, Mines of Modulane, .... u are talking about PVE and lately Ascalon ?

For now i know from Ascalon to Lion's Arch and D'alessio Seaboard, but i cant fin on map those places or in cartographie setion, can u help me?

Thx in avance.

Sabrina

Sabrina, you'll reach these areas at the end of the game/very near. You'll have to have a little patience ;)

Sabrina
16-05-2005, 01:35
Sabrina, you'll reach these areas at the end of the game/very near. You'll have to have a little patience ;)

Thx you jhonkie for u help :love38: i hope find for myself those areas soon, for now i reach Lion Arch (Still level 15) Thank you.

Sly Marbo
17-05-2005, 18:18
Bump for usefulness

Anyway here are the ones I got so far -

Barrage - Markus (Iron Mines)
Poison Arrow - Witman's Folly Ranger Boss
Meliandru's Resistance - Ranger Boss in Dragon Lair
Marksmans Wager - Custodian Jenus Elona Reach

Nairax
17-05-2005, 18:49
I love you, Engy.

And yes, they changed Markis to a boss when they put in the big 'Arena' patch.

Lady Deathraven
19-05-2005, 03:28
Can anyone confirm that the Witmann's Folly Ranger boss is still around? I cleared the entire area out three times tonight and didn't see him, but it's possible that I just got unlucky with the ones that spawned. I just don't want to keep hunting endlessly if they took him out in a recent update or something. ;)

Lycaon55
20-05-2005, 12:31
In Snake Dance (near Rankor) you will find Whuup Buumbuul a mountain Troll boss who has Escape, an elite skill. You have to try and try again before he use that skill and on top of that he does not always appear at the same place sometimes you have to push a bit further. He also has Frozen soil.

Tapewormz
31-05-2005, 09:06
SPIKE TRAP is off of Vulg Painbrain in the Ring of Fire.

Durring BWE it was located in the Watchtower Coast. Not anymore.

You can usually only grab this if he's casting it while he's not agro. He won't cast it in combat.

hahnsoo
31-05-2005, 09:16
Can anyone confirm that the Witmann's Folly Ranger boss is still around? I cleared the entire area out three times tonight and didn't see him, but it's possible that I just got unlucky with the ones that spawned. I just don't want to keep hunting endlessly if they took him out in a recent update or something. ;)
Salani Pappip IS there. You have to clear the map thoroughly. There are 5 potential locations where he can spawn, I think.

Tapewormz
31-05-2005, 15:46
He always spawns next to the ANCIENT SEER from what I've seen. I had to do it several times, because my group kept agroing, so I just took henchmen and did it fine.

You can tell where he spawns because he'll use nature spirits. Look for those and you'll find him. He's in a cave with the ANCIENT SEER and a pile of WRECKAGE.

Brother Kurgan
05-06-2005, 01:52
I found crippling shot if anyone is interested just outside of ember light camp can't remember the name of the boss but he is out there you may need to clear the island a few times

Patccmoi
06-06-2005, 03:32
If anyone ever finds Greater Conflagration, that's the one i REALLY want currently but i never saw it and it's not even in the Elite Skill Bosses LIST.

So if you managed to find this somewhere, tell it here! I need it for a 4 rangers team strategy in PvP.

Herthbul
06-06-2005, 04:29
Valetudo Rubon in Hell's Precipice.

BrankoZ
13-10-2005, 21:37
jhokie,

You can only possess one signet at a time, but you can get one over and over, as many times as you want.

That is to say, you can only have one signet in your skill bar (of 8 skills) at a time, but you can buy a bunch of signets from him all at once so you don't have to keep going back and buying more. Then in any town, you can swap one out to your skill bar

Arydan
13-10-2005, 22:14
That is to say, you can only have one signet in your skill bar (of 8 skills) at a time, but you can buy a bunch of signets from him all at once so you don't have to keep going back and buying more. Then in any town, you can swap one out to your skill bar

This thread is about 5 months old. We now have an elite skills sticky. ;)