PDA

View Full Version : Quick question - Death Magic in PvP?

Cyric Soulbane
06-05-2005, 19:44
Hey all,

I have a quick question I'm sure someone can answer easily. I haven't played in PvP yet, just PvE. Right now I'm kinda torn between Blood Magic and Death Magic. My question is, do the Death Magic skills that effect corpses work at all in PvP? Like, Soul Feast or Consume Corpse? Or can PC bodies not be "exploited", making these skills useless?

Thanks in advance,
-Cyric

garzahd
06-05-2005, 22:07
Player bodies can be exploited.

However, the thing that makes Death Magic hard to use in PvP is that there are no corpses at the start of the fight, so you need to have a skill set that's not totally gimped when you lack corpses.

Some people have suggested N/R for people who like Death magic, because your pet can provide an extra corpse.

MsBraston
07-05-2005, 06:46
:/ I find it hard to believe that waiting 6 seconds after all your skills reset from your pet dying will help you greatly. x_X

Hunt3r_kill4
07-05-2005, 22:21
Player corpses can be exploited, but its probably one of the worst way you can go for PvP due to many reasons. a) You have to wait until theres a corpse b) some matches require alot of waiting (for other team to attack and such), and your minions have a time limit c)Players usualy ignore your minions completely, and go after the player instead d)Monks' smiting prayers work esp well on them e) They do not do substantial damage f) Minions take a while to summon

:/ I find it hard to believe that waiting 6 seconds after all your skills reset from your pet dying will help you greatly. x_X

I dont think that applies to necro summons do they?

MsBraston
08-05-2005, 11:29
Ah. I thought with the reference to rangering, that pet was meant.

... and I can't bring myself to think of the zommies as "pets". :lol:

Nerghul
20-05-2005, 09:23
Necro summons dont do alot of straight up damage but it does help indeed. it also give necros a way of using soul reaping and some of the lovely damage spells that can be associated with minions. Death Nova <3. and also be a conduit for lovely health gain and reversely loss of enemy's. Minions are a little slow but there are other skills to help with that until you find a corpse, friend or foe. All in All, its a little slow, but when there are 8 little bone minions surrounding you. it adds up.

Meister Blitzkrieg
20-05-2005, 09:46
I'm a W/N and play PvP and GvG extensively.

I use blood magic, put simply. I don't like the death magic skills, and prefer to steal health and add it to me.

Hart
21-05-2005, 01:42
PvP needs more death mages like a snake needs earmuffs.

The problem with undead is bigger than people let on. I'm not going to go over the reasons already mentioned, but one of the really really big ones was left out; you can't aim undead. In PvP doing damage to random targets simply doesn't do any good, in order to kill anyone you have to focus fire on a specific individual. Undead target things at random, essentially whatever's closest to them and between them and you. You can't force them to focus fire on a target, you can't force them to stop attacking the W/Mo with Retribution on, you can't force them to stay hidden to lure the enemy in.

What it really comes down to is that the AI used for necromancer summons is easy to outsmart, they don't do enough damage to be worth noticing let alone targeting, and in the end most people ignore them. The exception to this rule is a situation in which there is only one target anywhere near them, in which case they all focus fire nicely and tend to take down the target nicely. Unfortunately this situation occurs very rarely in PvP.

If you're bound and determined to use Death magic in PvP, try any of the following: Rotting Flesh, Deathly Chill, Putrid Explosion, Soul Feast, Well of Suffering, Well of the Profane, Tainted Flesh. They're all solid skills, some of which don't even require a corpse to be useful.

Aburame Shino
21-05-2005, 20:06
The current death build I'm using now is showing potential in areans, that's all I can really say. Take a look if you're interested:

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?p=102531#post102531

Hunt3r_kill4
21-05-2005, 20:26
I'm a W/N and play PvP and GvG extensively.

I use blood magic, put simply. I don't like the death magic skills, and prefer to steal health and add it to me.

Then Im guessing you either have a primary or secondary class that specializes in damage dealing such as Warrior?

july
22-05-2005, 23:48
*cough* Why not curses?