PDA

View Full Version : british election question

CTM
06-05-2005, 22:41
i have a question that may seem silly. here in canada, all of the opinions i hear from the media make it sound like blair almost lost. he won a majority of the seats, and then a bunch to spare. they bring up the point that blair should possibly resign mid term because he could only deliver a fairly decent majority government.

is there something i don't understand about british government, or is the media just being stupid as usual?

Skywarp
06-05-2005, 23:59
If the Canadian media is anything like the American media, then they're just being stupid. Remember USA's adventure in Florida in 2000?

From what I've read so far, it seems Blair was the lesser of two evils. I've got to give cerdit to him though, he has had to go through real town hall meetings. Unlike Bush's where everyone is massaging his nuts.

Zero
07-05-2005, 01:59
Labour (Blair) got the majority of votes yes. But what the media have picked up on is while he won the majority seats, the party lost alot compared to how many they had last election.
Each party had their good and bad policies, and yes Blair was in a sense "the lesser of two evils" though imo his done a great job considering the past events of the world.
One item that kept arrising was Iraq. Which for Blair was a lose lose situation. If he didn't go in and america went it alone he'd get blamed for not aiding in the search and saving all those people under Saddam's rule where-as if he did he'd get blamed for the destruction of area's etc. Now i don't want this to turn into a debate about Iraq though.
Anyway, his got another few years now to gain that support back, or continue to lose it. Either way only time will tell.

CTM
07-05-2005, 04:57
maybe it is just perspective. we have a minority government on the brink of a no confidence vote that could easily go to the speaker. a reduced majority is a majority through and through, and it seems silly to hear people about him losing the mandate to govern because he has a sizable majority.

Canadian media isn't as bad as american media, but it is still pretty bad.

REI ONRYOU
07-05-2005, 13:32
AFAIK, many people dislike Blair, but still vote for him. Confuses me really. I wonder what Iain Hislop had to say about his third term...

Gustaf
08-05-2005, 08:41
AFAIK, many people dislike Blair, but still vote for him. Confuses me really.

Same reason why Ralph Klien keeps on getting elected in Alberta.