PDA

View Full Version : Lizard Screenshot anyone?

Tarew
07-05-2005, 00:21
I'm still extremely curious what the Lizard pet looks like and since I'm nowhere near Amnoon Oasis yet I was hoping someone could post some screenshots (and perhaps some other info on how they compare to other pets) so I can see if it's worth waiting for :)

GammaRay
07-05-2005, 01:52
Here's my pet Dune Lizard, Godzilla!
http://img114.echo.cx/img114/995/godzilla4mw.jpg

Here's Godzilla relative to my ranger, who is the "average" size.
http://img160.echo.cx/img160/1123/godzillavsme5ol.jpg

I haven't seen a Fern Lizard yet, but I suspect that they're probably the same in appearance (and they are confirmed as untameable).

I have to say that I'm impressed. It's tough and strikes for good damage at a reasonable attack rate. It doesn't hit as hard as a bear, but it definitely attacks faster. Not quite as fast as the wolf though. His movement speed is a tad slow when he goes after a target, but I usually have Call of Haste to make the most of him. His Feral Lunge probably hits for 20-ish damage, give or take, but of course it inflicts bleeding on attacking foes. A good, dependable pet if you decide to go the Beastmaster route. He loses out on attack and movement speed to the wolf, I think, but for better damage. With minimal support (one use of Healing Breeze) and the two calls, I let him take on two Level 11 Grasping Ghouls.

You can see he's pretty big too, he's only level 10 right now. After seeing a level 17 Snow Wolf, I've got the sneaking suspicion that your pet gets bigger at higher levels. The wolf's shoulder hump came up to my shoulder! When he's level 20, I'm going to take him to see his little brothers in the desert and compare.

Pros of Godzilla:
Considerable attack damage (BM @ 8), about 8~13 damage per hit (including AL)
Resiliant (especially with Call of Protection)
Decent attack speed w/ call of haste
Decent movement speed w/ call of haste

Cons:
Doesn't always strike immediately (wolf seems to respond faster)
Base attack speed isn't really stellar

Because of his slightly slower movement speed, you may want to consider Maiming Strike to induce Cripple in PVP. For PVE, Feral Lunge will still do the trick. If you want to make use of the condition-inflictions, also consider Scavenger Strike, which does extra damage if the foe suffers from a condition.

I'm going to try for Beastmaster, I'm confident that with serious devotion to it, it will be formidable in PVP and PVE. I'll need a Superior Rune of Beast Mastery & Vigor, and a Bowgrip of Fortitude though (extra BM points & counteracting health loss). It'll be a while.

Hunt3r_kill4
07-05-2005, 06:45
One thing thats wrong with beast master is a) It is very difficult to deal with large groups and b) Players tend to target you instead

Btw, thats a lovely lizard =p

GammaRay
07-05-2005, 09:35
Yes, they will target me instead if they can. The idea is to simply pummel them into submission between bows (9~10 marksmanship) and the pet attacking. On the one hand you could be worried about the source, the controller...but then again, when a pet is repeatedly smacking you with bleeding and cripple, among other things, I'd be more intent on silencing it than the master. Without the critter, he's just a ranger with a bow. But that's just me.

Tarew
07-05-2005, 10:56
Wow, nice screenshots :)
It looks totally different from how I'd imagined it. I was expecting a fairly small, very rapid-attacking lizard but this is more like a comodo dragon or a leguano. You could almost see him breath fire at higher levels, I like it :D
May not be the right pet for my Monk/Ranger healer though...I should probably get a bear as a kind of living shield but it seems great for other kinds of beastmasters. Thanks for the info :)

GammaRay
07-05-2005, 18:00
Yeah, if you're a monk, you'll probably want the toughest animal possible, which is still believed to be the bear, and possibly the Moa Bird (although the bird has crap damage). Godzilla is 14 now, I used him a lot during the first mission after Amnoon. He helped, although he's not strong enough just yet to be fearsome.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that if your pet dies, your skills are deactivated! I think the deactivation time is only 5 seconds now, like it was when they first set up the whole deactivation bit. It was 8 for a while, but it might have been lowered.

oney
06-08-2005, 20:42
Nice pics is there any more :love57:

hahnsoo
06-08-2005, 22:57
From the Pet FAQ sticky at the top of the forum:
Show off your pet thread: http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=352352

Mraezk
07-08-2005, 00:40
Yeah, if you're a monk, you'll probably want the toughest animal possible, which is still believed to be the bear, and possibly the Moa Bird (although the bird has crap damage). Godzilla is 14 now, I used him a lot during the first mission after Amnoon. He helped, although he's not strong enough just yet to be fearsome.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that if your pet dies, your skills are deactivated! I think the deactivation time is only 5 seconds now, like it was when they first set up the whole deactivation bit. It was 8 for a while, but it might have been lowered.

Moa Birds are considerd tough? I've glanced over the pet threads, but they said all pets were nearly equal, no? I used a Moa Bird through pve for non-stat reasons, then switched to a spider. I could tell little overall difference myself.

hahnsoo
07-08-2005, 01:31
Moa Birds are considerd tough? I've glanced over the pet threads, but they said all pets were nearly equal, no? I used a Moa Bird through pve for non-stat reasons, then switched to a spider. I could tell little overall difference myself.Check the date on the original posts. This is a VERY old thread that was resurrected, probably before extensive tests were done on pets.

Mraezk
07-08-2005, 01:34
Oops, yeah I see that now.

TheDivider
07-08-2005, 12:15
I've had all the pets since I first made my ranger a few weeks after this game came out. I had a great time with the wolf but its just sooo annoying...howl howl howl. I tried the rest out then settled for a bear at the end just cuz they look nice and seem to have better defense. I've helped my guildies get spiders but I sure don't want one, grown to fond of Mr. Brown ( bear). Plus for some reason my friend says he regrets trading his bear for a spider....hmmm