PDA

View Full Version : best profession/build FOR SOLOING

goatsong
07-05-2005, 08:24
hey, i've already poked my head in the newcomer thread and asked how difficult it is to solo in GW (thanks to those who answered btw), so now i'm asking what build would give me the best chances of doing well on my own.

i should stress that i haven't played the game yet at all, and i'm just trying to get some background on whether or not i'd like it (because my strong preference is to solo, and obviously if that's very difficult in this game then maybe it's not the game for me).

having had a VERY brief look at the available professions, my instinct would be to go with some kind of build that's capable of healing itself. also, i like ranged attacks, so i'm thinking ranger/monk? elementalist/monk? does this make sense?

also, i'm curious about how one goes about healing one's char -- monks supposedly have the ability to heal by magic, but are there healing items that you can buy or find, that can be used by any character? potting would be a lovely thing to be able to do, so i'm not dependent on anyone else.

edit: i should add: PvE is my priority. :)

Serpentine
07-05-2005, 09:22
This game is very easy to solo except in a few rare parts that require party members. Best class for solo? No idea. But right now I'm playing a Warrior/Elementalist and it kicks ***. All the punch of a warrior, with the supporting AoE of an elementalist.

dougolasjr
07-05-2005, 09:57
You might want to try a Warrior/monk. I have a ranger monk and it really didnt do well until I switched from healing prayers over to smiting and basically just using rez on my party members.

Saelis
07-05-2005, 10:43
You don't need healing potions and stuff, somehow every class has a way of healing themselves.. Those skills will be one of the first few skills you pick up, don't worry.

I have a ranger mesmer now, having a pet along can work.. You have a pet to tank and deal some additional damage even if you haven't invested much into beast mastery.. Only thing is that you might not have much skill space left over after having charm animal on along with comfort animal.. Unless you bring the AI healer henchman along, cause I count that as soloing. :P

goatsong
07-05-2005, 10:48
every class has a way of healing themselves..

really? it can't be very effective or fast, otherwise what would be the point of a support-type class like monks?

I have a ranger monk and it really didnt do well until I switched from healing prayers over to smiting and basically just using rez on my party members.

okay, you're confusing me. if i'm able to do what i want to do, i won't have party members. that's why i'm asking about soloing.

what do you mean by 'didn't do well', though? weak damage? fragile? did melee work out better for you than hit-and-run?

PluG
07-05-2005, 16:10
i would say warrior/monk is the best at soloing. They have the best armor, which is extremely important when you are swarmed by a group. They also do decent damage and can easily heal themselves with mending or live viscariously.

Pariah
07-05-2005, 17:16
During the betas I played warrior/elementalist, but since the release I've been playing warrior/ranger. I have been soloing so far. The second one has the advantage of the pet, which can be useful, but I think the first one was better. For me anyway. Although I do like the second and have not had any problems soloing, I found the first one to be more of an all around character, better ability to heal himself, and better offensive firepower. A magic caster's area attacks can be quite useful when soloing. In fact I am starting a new character today based on the one I built up in the betas.

goatsong
07-05-2005, 20:33
During the betas I played warrior/elementalist, but since the release I've been playing warrior/ranger. I have been soloing so far. The second one has the advantage of the pet, which can be useful, but I think the first one was better. For me anyway. Although I do like the second and have not had any problems soloing, I found the first one to be more of an all around character, better ability to heal himself, and better offensive firepower. A magic caster's area attacks can be quite useful when soloing. In fact I am starting a new character today based on the one I built up in the betas.

oh, w/r is also something i have been thinking of! apart from soloing, i'd also love to have a bow, but i'm easy about what other profession to combine ranger with.

i just have one question re: w/r -- are the healing abilities innate to the warrior/ranger professions sufficient for healing yourself? like, for soloing, is there any real need to tack a monk subclass on if all i want to do is heal myself?

s4nder
07-05-2005, 21:10
I've heard necros with minion armies can solo quite well too. I haven't tried the build yet but they sure kick *** in pve missions.

superowner
07-05-2005, 22:53
I have a Monk/Necro that is great. You kill things with your necro spells and attack with smiting spells. The minions run around and kill everything. Its real fun and Ive had 6 minions at once with it.

Hunt3r_kill4
07-05-2005, 23:02
You might want to try a Warrior/monk. I have a ranger monk and it really didnt do well until I switched from healing prayers over to smiting and basically just using rez on my party members.

Yeah that would work nicely except vs large groups, but you have henchmen to help

Axehilt
08-05-2005, 01:36
really? it can't be very effective or fast, otherwise what would be the point of a support-type class like monks?

Well the individual healing spells of each class usually cannot offset all of the damage if multiple enemies are attacking you, but they are effective heals. Also, they're usually only self heals meaning you can't use them to help teammates who are in trouble.

The average player of Guild Wars tends to come with a somewhat ignorant mindset that a Monk is always needed for healing, Elementalists are needed for damage output, and Warriors are needed to tank. While each of these classes can do those things (except Warriors, since the aggro system isn't noobed up with Taunt abilities), it's not critical to have each of those types of classes to do well.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that you can make a group w/o a healing Monk which would be competitive in PVP - just by using the right combination of abilities to self-heal, avoid damage (armor, evasion, slow enemy attack rate, counterspell, etc), and kill enemy players at a faster rate than they can kill you (because one of their players is stuck being a healbot.) And naturally if it works in PVP, it'll work in PVE too since PVE is a much easier arena to win in.

Glorfendill
08-05-2005, 08:06
Well the individual healing spells of each class usually cannot offset all of the damage if multiple enemies are attacking you, but they are effective heals. Also, they're usually only self heals meaning you can't use them to help teammates who are in trouble.

The average player of Guild Wars tends to come with a somewhat ignorant mindset that a Monk is always needed for healing, Elementalists are needed for damage output, and Warriors are needed to tank. While each of these classes can do those things (except Warriors, since the aggro system isn't noobed up with Taunt abilities), it's not critical to have each of those types of classes to do well.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that you can make a group w/o a healing Monk which would be competitive in PVP - just by using the right combination of abilities to self-heal, avoid damage (armor, evasion, slow enemy attack rate, counterspell, etc), and kill enemy players at a faster rate than they can kill you (because one of their players is stuck being a healbot.) And naturally if it works in PVP, it'll work in PVE too since PVE is a much easier arena to win in.

Except ofcourse that PVP you are at least starting off 1/1, 2/2, 4/4, 8/8 With PVE it's quite possible to find large masses where you will be faceing 4/16 or similar odds

Oh, but to answer the initial question, for a truely solo experience PVE (if you did not even want to have henchmen with you) I would recommend a Necro build of some kind, what primary or secondary you choose is up to you, but having a Death Magic Necro will allow you to stand some chance in the places where you are running into large groups of monsters.

Taxus Baccata
09-05-2005, 15:19
I just have one question re: w/r -- are the healing abilities innate to the warrior/ranger professions sufficient for healing yourself? like, for soloing, is there any real need to tack a monk subclass on if all i want to do is heal myself?

Warrior has Healing Signet, a no energy cost skill that is liked to the Tactics attribute it is a decent self heal.
Ranger has Troll Unguent which increases health regen, but it has a 3 second cast time which can cause problems if you are being wailed on.

You do not need to be a Warrior to tank, you do not need to be a Monk to heal. Just bear in mind GuildWars is ment to be played in a party. If you are soloing there will often only be one way you can approach a situation, in a team made up of different classes you have options on how to defeat enemies.

garzahd
09-05-2005, 20:06
The best solo build is totally dependent on what you plan to be soloing.

If you want to solo groups of lower level stuff, almost anything will do, but an elementalist is most efficient.

If you want to solo specifically undead (like D'Alessio Seaboard), a smiter monk will do really well.

If you want to solo small groups of high-level casters, something with interrupts (ranger or mesmer) will work great.

If you want to solo small groups of high-level warriors, usually a W/Mo will do fine, but a DoT caster (necro or mesmer) with some haste or slow spell will also do fine. Trapping rangers are also surprisingly good at this.

Nearly any solo character needs some form of self-heal, so monk secondaries are popular.

Neandro Thal
09-05-2005, 20:44
Umm...I think most of y'all missed the point of the OP. He hasnt played yet and asking for a "solo" build.

In pre-searing you can solo all missions except to get the rez signet if u want it, and to go over the wall if you want to. Its better xp to solo the whole thing. This game is pretty amazing in terms of balance compared to most games Ive played. All the classes and combo's are capable of soloing pre-searing with the right skills and attributes. In this way, GW is very different from other games.

In post-searing you cant really "solo" at all, the spawns are too big and you get overwhelmed. However, you dont have to "team" with others. In all cities or outposts there are "henchman" you can hire. As one poster said the healer is great (better than some monk players hehe). In post searing the party limit is 4 which should tell you something. By the time you get to Yaks, I believe, it goes up to 6. I prefer using henchman actually because homelife, phone calls can hold me up for long periods of time and its not fair if Im with a big group of players.

Mad J
10-05-2005, 21:00
I tend to solo in most games and here are some of my experiences:

I originally had a Ranger/Warrior that I really liked... except that I was lacking in some punch during battles. I created a new character that became a Warrior/Necromancer. I have to say that I am VERY impressed and happy with this build for solo-ing (post-sear, level 9).

Here is my logic and reasoning behind this build: The Necromancer's blood magic is a great complement to the W's low Energy / high health. You can either suck life from your foes or expend your life for extreme damage or affect (which a Warrior can afford to do). This is a list of my current Skills equipped:

life drain
vampic gaze / touch (10 / 15 E respectively, 24 / 36 health respectively)
faintheartedness
sever artery (adrenaline 4)
gash (can't have gash without sever artery! :) adr 7 (can't remember exactly) )
"Justice for all!" cry (speeds up adrenaline rush)
Sprint (raises speed by 25%)
heal signet (just in case)

I tend to cast life drain or faintheartedness to drain or slow the enemy down, then rush in with the cry and sprint activated. I restore most life I lose getting hit (if any) with the blood magic while I chop them up fast using speed and adrenaline attacks. I just have to make sure I keep a close eye on when my enemy is dead to switch to the next and keep up the pressure.

any opinions?

cheers,

Mad J

Voo Doo
11-05-2005, 00:45
Almost any profession with Monk as a secondary prof is great for soloing. The only thing is that it's a slower process.

Some will say get Warrior/Elementalist! Sure just tank, cast an AOE spell, kill off all the creatures with ease since their health are down to 10-20%. Problem is, there are higher risks. You could die if you aren't careful.

With Monk, just charge in, cast Healing Breeze every now and then, you will deal less damage, but you're raising your chances of survival.

So all in all, it comes up to the same thing.

You can pick a template which can kill stuff very fast, but if you aren't careful, you will end up dying more often. or pick a template that kills slower, but you never die thanks to healing.

KrisTof
11-05-2005, 00:46
I love the vampiric necro skills and that helps healing my ranger/necro quite well in difficult times in solo...

In addition, having a pet and minion definitively helps keeping monsters at large while you sent your arrow down.

Raved
11-05-2005, 01:21
After seeing this (http://www.guild-hall.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14426), I'd say warrior/necro :p.

mappam
11-05-2005, 17:49
I am also trying the R/Nec combo - the ranger seems to have better armor and the pet (along with a healing) and the Necro has the Death spells and very handy 'area' attacks that damage near by mobs and of course the minions to also help.

I thought I would try this combo as it gives me the ability to 'solo' but to have help from 'pets'.

I am only lvl 8 and still learning about Post-Searing - so I am not sure how this build will hold up?

Mad J
11-05-2005, 18:46
Ok... some follow-up thoughts on solo-ing in post-searing (sorry for all the dashes). It's mighty difficult especially if you want to reach Lion's Arch. I keep getting about halfway from one save point (city) to another and my henchmen fall apart on me. I am currently at level 10 and have swapped some skills and I might need to re-adjust them for using the hammer more (sigh). stupid elementals... why don't they bleed????? ;)

Has anyone here Solo-ed to Lion's Arch???

madJ

Im Bogus
11-05-2005, 21:48
This is the best Warmonk i came up with

Strength: 10 + 0 (61)
Axe Mastery: 11 + 0 (77) (this build goes better with axes)
Healing Prayers: 10 + 0 (61)

Total Points Used: 199

[Skills]
1) Executioner's Strike (0.000/0/8a): If this attack hits, you strike for +32 damage.
2) Dismember (0.000/0/7a): If it hits, this axe blow will inflict a deep wound on the target foe, lowering that foe's maximum health by 20% for 16 seconds.
3) Axe Twist (0.000/0/8a): If this attack hits a foe suffering from a deep wound, you strike for 15 more damage and that foe suffers from weakness.
4) Wild Blow (0.000/5/5e) Lose all adrenaline. If it hits, this attack will be a critical hit. If Wild Blow hits any stance being used by your target ends. This attack cannot be blocked or evaded.
5) Sprint (0.000/20/5e): For 12 seconds, you move 25% faster.
6) Healing Hands (elite) (0.250/25/5e): For 10 seconds, whenever target ally is struck by an attack, that ally is healed for 18 health.
7) Mending (2.000/0/10e+1a): While you maintain this enchantment, target ally gains health regeneration of +3.
8) Balthazar's Spirit (2.000/0/10e+1a): While you maintain this enchantment, target ally gains adrenaline and energy after taking damage.

[Also consider]
-smite hex (hex control)
-resurrect (team suport)
-orison of healing (extra heal)
-Dwayna's Kiss (GREAT with other warmonks)

Cast balthazar spirit when u see the oponent, then mendidng and then charge. This will leave ur mana at 0 for all the combat but the spirit gives u energy everytime ur hit so at 5 energy u cast the healing hands and no one can kill u. This way u gain CRAZY adrenaline and you'll kill anyone/thing. AND ALSO u can run fast for those boring solo grounds !!!

TRY IT !!!

huxley maximus
16-05-2005, 18:36
meh, warrior monk or warrior ranger. As a ranger you can solo with a pet to help and you will also have the ability to rez and heal. When I get the ability to switch professions I think I am going to switch my warrior/mo to a warrior/ranger so I can have the pet.

Im Bogus
16-05-2005, 23:45
how about a ranger / warrior or W/R whatever....

using traps, sword and victory is mine to get huge condition combos and huge life / energy gain.... u would only need 7 tactics, 10 sword, 9 wilderness and 6 strengh/expertice

Stephen Hawking
17-05-2005, 05:11
I feel like monk anything is usually best to solo as you need an extreme amount of healing going from a group of people to one person. I've been personally enjoying my monk primary for this reason as they're popular in groups, and any secondary compliments the monk skills well.

Due to balt's aura and essence bond, and being solo (the only target) you can also get near infinite energy. Most warriors would not find this useful, but a monk does, especially when you can use zealot's fire/healing skill spam to nuke mobs all around you, or power up smiting skills, and basically be safe for most every mob in terms of damage.

Anyway, while I feel monk/whatever is pretty uber, your starting career will mostly be grouped so I feel no qualms about recommending this to everyone since everyone should group for most things.

rastigi
18-05-2005, 18:18
I built a necro/monk that I played through all of the pre-searing and played for a couple of days post-searing, and I found that I didn't like it at all. I felt like all the best monk skills were the healing skills, but I never really needed them unless I was grouped (which I did for a few of the pre-searing quests, mostly to get the res signet and the wall, where you need to be grouped to do the quest). The necro blood-magic skills keep you alive in most situations, and if you're getting beat up too badly you can hire a healer henchman. If you do get into a situation where you are using monk skills to heal yourself, the necro isn't doing enough weapon damage to make up for you not being able to use that time to cast necro spells, so I went back and re-built. Now I'm using a necro/warrior, and I love it. I thrown life siphon on a couple of enemies before battle starts, then I attack a different enemy with my axe. I use vampiric touch whenever my life gets low, and cyclone axe or frenzy to charge my adrenaline skills. Executioner's strike and penetrating blow are great for attacks, and soul reaping keeps me in enough energy to use my energy skills whenever I need them.

The soul reaping was the main reason I chose necro prime instead of warrior - Pretty much the choice is between having some more armor and a few points of strength or having energy whenever I needed it. I'll probably throw a few points into tactics as well - something like this:

Soul Reaping: 5 (15)
Blood Magic: 12 (97)
Axe Mastery: 11 (77)
Tactics: 4 (10)

You could also go with swords, but that debate has already been had quite a few times. I like the axe skills better, so that's what I went with. Depending on what kind of shields I find and how important I find the tactics in general, I may drop a couple points there in favor of another point of soul reaping.

Im Bogus
23-05-2005, 20:05
Go for any build that has area dmg, lots of self healing, dmg in combat, and mob protection. that is a support + a tank in any combination (minions or pets could be tanks)

pryzmatik2
26-05-2005, 04:04
This game is very easy to solo except in a few rare parts that require party members. Best class for solo? No idea. But right now I'm playing a Warrior/Elementalist and it kicks ***. All the punch of a warrior, with the supporting AoE of an elementalist.

Are you still in pre-searing or something? Once you hit post-searing solo'ing is NOT easy at all. Try running around the crystal desert by yourself, it won't work. Southern Shiverpeaks you will get ripped up, I can almost guarantee that.

This game was made for teamwork, not solo'ing, why would it be easy?

There may be a "best" character combination to solo with, but by no means will it be able to strut around the game by yourself.

elsydeon
26-05-2005, 07:33
tried soloing with my mo/w outside of yak's bend, summit sages and howlers gave me the beating of my life

they will gladly strip your enchantments, then, tank and nuke you, in effect, like playing against an average pvp team with just yourself

Aldair
27-05-2005, 09:54
I do not see why taking on groups of people has to be a problem... I try to find groups of enemies (1-3 for on level or higher level)(4-8 for lower levels).

I use an Elementalist/Necromancer and I have yet to fight a large group of monsters without killing all of them, killing most of them, or crippling all of them.

Current Level -- 20

Stats -
9 Blood Magic
9 Death Magic
11 Fire Mage (+1)
11 Energy Storage (+1)

Fireball -- 15 energy
Phoenix -- 15 energy
Inferno -- 10 energy
Vampiric Touch -- 15 energy(steals 53 hp)
Vampiric Gaze -- 10 energy(steals 47 hp... I think)
Soul Feast -- 10 energy(replenishes 173 hp)
Well of Blood -- 15 energy(14 seconds of +4 health regeneration)
Well of Suffering -- 15 energy(14 seconds of -3 health regeneration in enemies)

Total Health -- 510
Health Regeneration -- 0
Total Energy(including additions from equipment) -- 73
Energy Regeneration -- 4

Armor Type -- Pyromancer

Equipment Used -- Deadly Cesta
(11-21 COLD dmg -- 5% chance of faster casting)
-- Grim Cesta
(+11 energy -- 5% chance of faster spell cycling)
-- Third Eye
(Fire Eye -- +1 to Fire Magic, +1 to Energy Storage)
-- Rune of Minor Vigor
(+30 hp)
Other Equipment Stored
-- 3 Gold Staffs of Earth -- various stats
-- Trunchen -- 11-21 COLD dmg
-- Fire Wand -- 9-11 FIRE dmg(I have GOT to sell this thing)
-- Tall Shield -- +11 armor (no requirement)

Additional Notes:
When I am using henchmen, I use two warriors, one monk, one necromancer(if if undead area, I use and elementalist instead), one ranger

Alternate Spell Setup --

Vile Touch - 10 energy
Vampiric Touch - 15 energy
Vampiric Gaze - 10 energy
Fireball - 15 energy
Armor of of Mist - 10(15?) energy(+6 armor and 33% movement increase)
Meteor - 10 energy(exhaustion)
Soul Feast - 10 energy
Inferno - 10 energy

Note: This set up is obviously meant to take down one target at a time.