PDA

View Full Version : Game Crashes to Corrupt Graphics & Lockup

abelincolnjr
07-05-2005, 13:51
Hi I have a pretty nice system and I can only play the game for about 5 minutes when the game crashes and the screen shows corrupted graphics. Many times the corrupted mouse can move around and other times it just locks up. Still have to restart everytime. I have the latest drivers for my 6800 gt then I got an older version of my drivers that my PC company reccomends, same problem either way.
My Setup is an Alienware Extreme PC
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256 Mb
Sound card:Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS
1 gig of RAM...
I can provide any other info needed.

Any help would be much appreciated, not many stores are keen on refunding open software...
Thank you!

My DXDiag is too long to fit here

Ettenra
08-05-2005, 08:15
New technology is usually buggy. I always give it a little bit to give the devs time to work out the kinks. However, you've already got the card so, the best advice I can give is to check out the nvidia guru forums on their site. Those guys are generally pretty helpful and nice to boot. IMO, you should make sure you are using a stable driver set, just because it's older doesn't mean it works well. The nvidia guys would know more about that than me. Make sure that your pc isn't getting too hot, that will crash anything and eventually cost you. Alienware pc should be fine on the heat issue as long as all the fans are still going. Spyware will also monkey with your system and cause things to crash, download and run ad-aware and/or spybot and see if that helps.

Hope you get going soon!

craigven
08-05-2005, 13:31
hi, im currently sufferiing from the same bug..... locks up...looping.ccckckckckc sound.... and necessary restart.... would be happy if anyones got a resolution for this
thx

Astro Loaf
28-06-2005, 05:56
I have the same problem. I tried the new nvidia 77.72 drivers, and the problem became more frequent for me. I can't even play for an hour without crashing.

Now I've gone back to the old 61.77 drivers in the hopes that the game will behave better, but now I have a different problem. After uninstalling and re-installing drivers, Guild Wars now starts up on the wrong screen. My mouse is on my 'main' screen, but GW is running on the secondary screen, and I can't do very much with only keyboard input.

Bizarre.

I have an Athlon 64 3500+ on an MSI Neo2 MB with 1 GB of DDR RAM and a GF 6800GT AGP video card. This system has been rock solid for everything but GW, including Tribes 2, Tribes Vengeance, Doom 3, UT 2004, BF2 demo, and running World Computing Grid 24/7.

Merls The Sneaky
28-06-2005, 15:38
Try dumping your dat file and reinstalling GW. It could simply be a corrupt install. Also Resetting of your page file could help.

To re-create the pagefile, follow these steps: 1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer.
3. Click Properties.
4. On the Advanced tab, in the Performance section, click Settings.
5. In the Virtual Memory section, click Change.
6. Write down the pagefile values. For Paging file size for selected drive, click No Paging File, and then click Set.
7. Click Yes after the following warning appears:
If the paging file on volume X: has an initial size of less than xx megabytes, then the system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs. Continue anyway?

(X is the drive letter and xx is the amount of RAM installed on your computer minus 1 megabyte.)
8. Click System Managed Size.
9. Click OK four times, and then restart the computer when you are prompted.

10. Repeat steps 1-5
11. Select custom size and re-enter the values you wrote down at step 6. OR select system managed size.

This may help if there is data "stuck" in your pagefile.

EternalChaos
28-06-2005, 16:58
I have similar problems.. just GW won't loop or crash out... what I get is sometimes textures just fail to load when entering a town. screen gets white.. and eventually it just errors out..

THAT or after 10+ mins of play.. say I log off... hit X at the sign on screen and POOF... instant BSOD... i've had this problem since going to the 77.xx nvidia forceware drivesr.. (77.13, 77.50, 77.62, 77.72(whql also) ) i currently use v76.50 which run beautiful... no lagging, crashing etc...

the thing is it seems more game related in terms of shaders cause a lot of games which use ATI shaders are crashing out Nvidia cards using the later drivers... (hl2, cs:s etc) I got a feeling this is related to a combination of shader driver issues with Nvidia, Ati Shader programming as well as graphical glitches in games... Farcry had similar problems (just would cause texture bluring and warping rather than BSOD)...they patched the game to v1.32... no omre problems with those 77.xx drivers... Best bet is to just wait it out and hope there is a fix...

As for overheating if you can play doom3 or UT2k4 at high settings for more than 30mins yu arenot overheating... and i doubt you are anyhow... Nvidia GPU's do not reachcriticle level until amost 130C .. Iplay GW maxed out and my GPU don't get higher than 65-70C on stock cooling.. it also cools to 53-55C within 2 minutes of leaving the game.. good way to see if you are overheating or not is during play(15-20mins) minimize GW and open the drivers and check the Temps... don't be panicy if there is like 1 bar of yellow... but if you see 80+ for GPU there is a problem with your airflow... it shouldnt be getting that hot unles you have no fans for your case...

afroloq
28-06-2005, 17:27
i am having simiar probs and i dunno if NCsoft is any help

I have an ATI Radeon 9200 128 card.....updated....

ever since the last 2 game patches..i have been able to play beyond Divinity Coast w/o severe game crashes taking place....

I have updated drivers, changed resolutions everything....

any ideas?

My laptop can run it just fine...it has an nvidia card.....

Merls The Sneaky
28-06-2005, 19:02
Check your ram, (google for memtest 86). Chances are if your ram checks out ok its either vid card drivers (try installing the drivers off the cd and see what happens, Im still running my cd drivers for my ati 9550 with no probs.) or your vid card has been damaged. (I had similar probs with gforce fx 5200 that had sucked up dust into its fan and was slowly cooking)

snowkissed
29-06-2005, 18:59
Merls, you seem knowledgeable..

Would you get this error - your graphics card just "stops working" because the graphics card is too crappy or is it the drivers? I'd tell you what I have, but it's a piece of crap Intel..just a laptop. Auto-detect puts everything at medium, and I get in game and can play for about 3-4 minutes before the graphics card just stops working and I get sent back to desktop with lowest resolution possible and black and white coloring.

Same happens if I put everything on low settings.

I would think that GW would tell me if my video card didn't meet specs, or is that too smart?

Merls The Sneaky
30-06-2005, 22:01
Merls, you seem knowledgeable..

Would you get this error - your graphics card just "stops working" because the graphics card is too crappy or is it the drivers? I'd tell you what I have, but it's a piece of crap Intel..just a laptop. Auto-detect puts everything at medium, and I get in game and can play for about 3-4 minutes before the graphics card just stops working and I get sent back to desktop with lowest resolution possible and black and white coloring.

Same happens if I put everything on low settings.

I would think that GW would tell me if my video card didn't meet specs, or is that too smart?

Well without more info its going to be hard to properly diagnose your problem. I have noticed though that laptop video cards usually arent very good for gaming (mostly not supported).

Can you tell me..

1) type of card and how many mb it currently running?
2) current driver and direct x version?
3) How well does GW run before it crashed out?
Promise to help if i can. ;)

Oh and GW wont tell you if your card is up to spec it will just crash out or run really crappy.

snowkissed
30-06-2005, 22:20
Well without more info its going to be hard to properly diagnose your problem. I have noticed though that laptop video cards usually arent very good for gaming (mostly not supported).

Can you tell me..

1) type of card and how many mb it currently running?
2) current driver and direct x version?
3) How well does GW run before it crashed out?
Promise to help if i can. ;)

Oh and GW wont tell you if your card is up to spec it will just crash out or run really crappy.

I'll post again when I get home. It's just an Intel piece of crap. Couldn't run KOTOR..so I'm sure it's just not up to spec, but one can always hope :winking47

Merls The Sneaky
01-07-2005, 01:33
I'll post again when I get home. It's just an Intel piece of crap. Couldn't run KOTOR..so I'm sure it's just not up to spec, but one can always hope :winking47

Look forward to it, If its up to spec we shall see what i can do for you ;)

trial
01-07-2005, 10:21
although snowkissed hasn't posted any info, i'm just going to spew out some
general ideas about the problem.

since ati started releasing their drivers as 'catalysts', they included a feature
called "vpu recover".. if something goes wrong and it's with the vidcard, it
will attempt to recover itself and save you from a crash or reboot. the times
that i've tested this, it would black-out for a minute then kick me back to
the desktop with safe-mode settings.. but it would give a message saying
that the video subsystem has failed and you will need to reboot.

it sounds like it could be the same thing, but i don't know anything about
intel graphics. i don't know how taxing guildwars is on hardware, but from
the looks of it, it does seem like it pushes just as hard as other graphically
intense games. what i'm getting at is that maybe the intel-gpu is overheating
(or something is) and is causing gw to crash out after a few minutes..

just a thought. it's 4:30 in the morning and it's all that i could think of right
now.

Merls The Sneaky
01-07-2005, 17:17
although snowkissed hasn't posted any info, i'm just going to spew out some
general ideas about the problem.

since ati started releasing their drivers as 'catalysts', they included a feature
called "vpu recover".. if something goes wrong and it's with the vidcard, it
will attempt to recover itself and save you from a crash or reboot. the times
that i've tested this, it would black-out for a minute then kick me back to
the desktop with safe-mode settings.. but it would give a message saying
that the video subsystem has failed and you will need to reboot.

it sounds like it could be the same thing, but i don't know anything about
intel graphics. i don't know how taxing guildwars is on hardware, but from
the looks of it, it does seem like it pushes just as hard as other graphically
intense games. what i'm getting at is that maybe the intel-gpu is overheating
(or something is) and is causing gw to crash out after a few minutes..

just a thought. it's 4:30 in the morning and it's all that i could think of right
now.

Actually a friend of mine running a Ati card had a similar problem, an error popped up saying that there was a driver problem and asked to download an updated driver file. Has not experienced any problems since. Nice self diagnostics ;)

trial
01-07-2005, 18:28
yep -- it's amazing where their driver team has gone. just a couple of years
back, ati's drivers were probably one of the worst out there.

now they're just as good - or even better, than nvidia's "golden" drivers.

Lady Larah
08-07-2005, 02:33

Hiya Merl!

I have the same problem as the above... u asked snowkiised alot, ill try to answer how my computer is, and hope u can help =)

1. ATI Radon 9550, 768 MB
2. Driverversion 6.14.10.6542, DirectX9,0c
3. GW runs fine b4 it goes down, a little bit lag, but thats all the time.. hehe. Sometimes i get to play 10 mins, sometimes 4 hrs, but one things for sure; it always crash. Either the screen freezes/lock screenpicture, it freezes and alot of odd streched colours show up or the screen turns black. The first day i played, there were no problems at all.. the next day computer went bonzai and said the VPU Recover couldnt work with the driver, then i installed all the newest updates, driver and DirectX and it still crashes. Sooo... well, im lost, dunno what to do now *cry*

Thx and G'night =)

Merls The Sneaky
08-07-2005, 03:28
Ok Have you tried a basic reinstal of the gw client?

Try installing the "cd drivers" for your vid card.
try defragging your HDD.

VPU recover is a self diagnostic and should provide you with a link to updated/fixed drivers. Try totally uninstalling any ati dsrivers etc you have on your system, reboot and reinstall the drivers, then reboot again.

trial
08-07-2005, 03:31
Either the screen freezes/lock screenpicture, it freezes and alot of odd streched colours show up or the screen turns black

i know i'm not merl, but..

is it hot wherever you live?
"odd, stretched colours" is usually in cahoots with "too much heat".

meaning, the vidcard is overheating which all the problems you've listed can
fall under.

Merls The Sneaky
08-07-2005, 03:35
Yeah you might want to check your case temps (thanks trial). you can also check the temp of your mobo and CPU in your bios. (you can access bios (aka setop) at the start of booting.

trial
08-07-2005, 06:47
also:
one very quick way of seeing if it is temperature problems is to just remove
the side panel of your case. if you have no intake fans, this can drop temps
by about 5 degrees, depending on the environment.

the difference between 1 degree in terms of computers is /very/ large.

Merls The Sneaky
08-07-2005, 07:10
yes as microchips heat up they tend to lose thier ability to hold charge in the transistors due to the electrons being more "excited" or "hot". even a drop of .1 of a degree can make the electrons more "docile".

back on topic. You can also help lower cpu/mobo temps by pointing a small housefan at the motherboard through the open case.

Of course opening your case invalidates warranty, naturally if you have no warranty or its expired this is a moot point.

trial
08-07-2005, 15:14
Of course opening your case invalidates warranty, naturally if you have no warranty or its expired this is a moot point.

the beauty and freedom of building your own comp. XD

but yes -- a small room fan or any self-standing fan would work well with an
open case.

Lady Larah
09-07-2005, 00:10
Hi again =)

I cant defragg HDD cause i got to much on my computer atm... Ive deleted the game 2 times, and removed all ati and reinstalled, but it still does the same.

Its not all that hot here in Denmark, and since the computer freaks out after 10 mins, it shouldnt be overheated??? the "streached picture" isnt the problem atm, my screen just go on "save mode" and turns black now (is that progress... hehe).

But since ive installed GW, the VPU recovery text box that pops up and says it cant find the driver things, and its going around in loop is what worries me the most... cause it has never done that b4, and ive had the same componentes in the computer for about 1 yr... and ive played all kindda games, but never had this problem.

I wrote on the support site of GW too, got a mail that they would return within 24 hrs... got that mail 3 days ago...

But asked som in game about the problem, im not the only one having this problem, so i just dont get it... but hey, im no computer genious either, im just little o'me =)

But really happy that u wanna try and help, and thx 4 the quick answer =)

elbertc
09-07-2005, 00:34
Hi again =)

I cant defragg HDD cause i got to much on my computer atm... Ive deleted the game 2 times, and removed all ati and reinstalled, but it still does the same.

Its not all that hot here in Denmark, and since the computer freaks out after 10 mins, it shouldnt be overheated??? the "streached picture" isnt the problem atm, my screen just go on "save mode" and turns black now (is that progress... hehe).

But since ive installed GW, the VPU recovery text box that pops up and says it cant find the driver things, and its going around in loop is what worries me the most... cause it has never done that b4, and ive had the same componentes in the computer for about 1 yr... and ive played all kindda games, but never had this problem.

I wrote on the support site of GW too, got a mail that they would return within 24 hrs... got that mail 3 days ago...

But asked som in game about the problem, im not the only one having this problem, so i just dont get it... but hey, im no computer genious either, im just little o'me =)

But really happy that u wanna try and help, and thx 4 the quick answer =)

Could it be that your HD is full and it's running out of virtual memory? I'm not too good with video problems. Merls fields those questions better than I can. I'm pretty good with the rest of the hardware, though.

trial
09-07-2005, 02:29
Merls fields those questions better than I can.

damn -- i see it's going to take a while to make a name for myself here. :lol:

Could it be that your HD is full and it's running out of virtual memory?

if windows runs out of page space, it would notify the user of this by popping
up a window saying something like, "windows has run out of virtual memory
and is adjusting it.." something something, i only got that once while toying
around with a 1mb page file. XD

and since the computer freaks out after 10 mins, it shouldnt be overheated???

yup, it could be. it takes only minutes for a computer to heat up and a few
more minutes in-game for it to reach almost "peak" temps.

the VPU recovery text box that pops up and says it cant find the driver things, and its going around in loop is what worries me the most...

would it be possible to get a screenshot of this? or maybe what it actually
says? if the vpu recover still comes up then we know it's something wrong
with the video subsystem, but i've never seen it complain about missing
'driver things'...

Viho
09-07-2005, 02:41
In regards to defragging, I think hard drives need to have about 15% of their space free in order to defrag properly.

I'm curious about "save mode." Do you mean your monitor simply goes black but the computer keeps running? Do you get a message like "No signal detected. Going to sleep?"

Trial's right about heating. A poorly ventilated pc can overheat in very little time.

Wotdahek
09-07-2005, 02:44
damn -- i see it's going to take a while to make a name for myself here. :lol:

Hey trial, you're doing a great job! The regular helpers around here know your contributions.

This is probably the best forum helpdesk anyone playing GW can find out there.

Merls The Sneaky
09-07-2005, 03:21
Hey trial, you're doing a great job! The regular helpers around here know your contributions.

This is probably the best forum helpdesk anyone playing GW can find out there.

I agree, trial has been a major contributor. After that post of his I cant contribute futher to this thread at this time :P

trial
09-07-2005, 14:13
:lol:

thanks for the kind words, even though it was meant more as a joke. XD

all in all, the atmosphere in this forum is just awesome.
and the people that ask for help know how to ask -- which is nice.
can't turn down someone who asks nicely. XD

but anyhow, i can't really think of anything else that might cause her comp
to mess up like that..

lady larah:: did you have a vidcard before the 9550? you say you've had
the comp for more than a year, but the 9550 only came out.. last sept, i
think it was?

reason i'm asking is that previous video drivers and cards that have not been
properly installed can (and sometimes) cause windows to .. implode.

Merls The Sneaky
09-07-2005, 20:48
I noticed you have 768 mb ram. this means you have 2 sticks of ram. You will get wierd video effects if one of these is faulty, might I suggest you try memtest 86. IF memtests shows any errors you will have to test them seperatly.

Celor
13-10-2005, 05:47
I am having a similar problem also.

I boot the game up, play it for about two minutes and then it makes my computer go into a black screen and I have to restart it to get it going again.

I started having these problems a while back, and they have exculated since then.

-=-=-

I am running Windows XP pro. edition.

ATI Radeon 9800

1 gig o' ram (Two pc3200 sticks.)

AMD Athalon 2800+

-=-=-

I update my videocard drivers whenever I log onto steam and it tells me to so that might be it.
It also does this with World of Warcraft.